Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ To See What Was ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lady Jupiter abruptly fell out of her bed as an annoying “beep” sounded incessantly becoming louder and louder with every second. Hastily, she unplugged the atrocious thing and sighed in relief as the room was silent again. She leaned back against her bed and felt comfortable for once. She sat there reminiscing and remembered how she used to try and stick to her usual way of life when the merging of the two worlds happened, but it seemed that wasn’t as easy as she thought. Before she knew it, she found herself walking down the aisle to her husband that she had never even met before.

For the first couple of years she tried hard to be her lively and exciting self, but with every passing day, she became less and less enthusiastic. Heero Yuy was a man made of stone, or so she liked to think. He never smiled, never frowned, and never even got angry! He was pretty much a robot. How was a person supposed to love a robot? Of course, he probably didn’t mean to affect her in such a way as to make her depressed but she still couldn’t help but feel a little upset by him. Whenever something bad would happen, she would blame it on him but when the problem was gone she would scold herself for being so selfish. It was not his fault, no, it was just fate. Yet fate didn’t always seem so cruel. She was given a young boy to keep her company and she loved him dearly. He was her world, her kingdom, her everything. Without him she would’ve probably ended up in a mental institute.

Lady Jupiter could feel herself drifting into blissful sleep and sunk lower in comfort. She was almost in a dream but suddenly shot up in haste. She was supposed to be wounded and dying from a gun shot given by that despicable “Arnaud” or so he called himself. She searched for the wound but it was nowhere to be seen. She called out for her son but there was no response. She ran her hand slowly through her hair and stopped. It was unusually thicker and softer than she remembered it being. In curiosity she stood up and literally smacked herself in the face. ’This can’t be!’ she thought to herself. Determined to solve this issue once and for all, she rushed into the bathroom and gaped at her reflection.

Her eyes were a mesmerizing emerald green and her long golden brown tresses fell loosely around her face in curls. Shocked, she kept running her hands through her hair and felt around her face. She finally tore her view away from the mirror and looked herself over. Quickly she went into the bedroom and put her hand up to her head, she couldn’t believe it. Her heartbeat quickened as she briefly took a tour of the place. It was her old apartment that she had vacated most of her life up to the time of Crystal Tokyo. She then sat down at her kitchen counter and buried her face in her hands. She was in her past, there could be no other explanation. All she hoped was that her son and her husband, if he was alive, were okay.

“So, what do we do now?” asked Heero Jr. as he walked alongside his father.

Heero stayed quiet as he observed the town and the people. He had never been here before, but he recognized a tower standing in the place where the kingdom of Earth was supposed to be so he assumed that this must’ve been Earth in Lady Jupiter’s world before it merged with his. So his guess was that they were in her past, which seemed somewhat contradictory being as she would be a princess at the time and living on Jupiter. Yet, he had just recently discovered that life on Jupiter was quote on quote “theoretically impossible.” There was only life on Earth and nowhere else. In walking around, he also noticed that this place was a little behind in technological advances. There were no apparent mobile suits and colonies on the Moon were unheard of! This place was much different from his home and for that reason he was lost.

“We can only hope to find your mother,” said Heero in response to his son.

Heero Jr. then gulped and pessimistically thought of the situation. ‘This could take forever! We don’t even know where to start! Or at least, I don’t even know where to start. She could be anywhere!’ Then to worsen the whole situation, Heero Jr.’s stomach growled and he groaned and stopped in his tracks .

“Hungry?” asked his father and he nodded. “As soon as we get settled somewhere, we’ll go get something to eat.” concluded Heero as he silently hoped that currency was the same here as it is in the future. To his luck , it was and they were able to get a room at a nearby hotel. They ordered pizza and ate in a sort of depressing mood. Heero was quiet, as usual, and Heero Jr. looked as if he was in another world.

“You’ve barely eaten anything,” commented Heero. His son slightly jumped as he had forgotten for a moment that his father was with him and smiled weakly.

“I’m just thinking,” he answered.

“Worried about your mother?” asked Heero. His son stared at him for a while and nodded.

“Yeah,” he lied and then went back to taking small nibbles out of his slice of pizza. Worried about mom, yes, but there was a more pressing matter that was disturbingly looming in the depths of his mind. He kept thinking back to when he was walking with his mom down the halls of Duo’s estate. All he could think about was how weak she was and how easily she could be swayed. He despised her in such a way that he was too ashamed to even reminisce on it. The pain of knowing that she was going to die and the last thoughts he had of her were of disgust and pity. He suddenly felt sick and put down his pizza. His mother had always been there for him and cared for him his whole life.

When he started having nightmares, he could fondly remember her hugging him tightly in her arms. She made him feel so safe and warm and could remember thinking that some day he was going to be able to do the same thing for her. To protect her was his life long dream when he was a kid, but now…now he wanted independence and grew away from those childish ideas. There was no strength in her feeble arms and everyone knew it, though some had tried to deny it (the planetary Queens in particular). She was no fighter and needed protection whenever she left the castle grounds. Yet, it was funny. When Heero Jr. was a kid he used to think his mother was the strongest mother in the world. When she would pick him up from a fall or push him on the swing he thought that no one could ever defeat her. He even got so far as to think that she was invincible! If an army of a thousand men were to ever attack, then she would be able to handle them with one arm behind her back; but of course as he grew older, the imaginative strength he saw in his mother diminished. How he wished he could just be a kid again and feel that same enthusiasm that he always had for her. Boy, growing up sure had its way of ruthlessly belittling everything you used to regard as huge.

“Where are you going dad?” asked Heero Jr. as he suddenly snapped out of his daydreaming.

“I’m going for a walk, you coming?” asked his father as he put on his black jacket. Nodding, Heero Jr. got up and followed his father out the door.

“You’re late,” called a man from behind the restaurant counter.

“Yeah, I know,” replied Lady Jupiter as she grabbed an apron and a pen and paper to take orders.

“Nope,” said the man. “Louis is taking his vacation days, so we need you in the kitchen.”

“How could I have forgotten,” muttered Lady Jupiter under her breath. She then commenced to the kitchen and grabbed a hat to contain her hair. She smiled to herself in content and started to “make some magic”. The heat of the kitchen usually fatigued the chefs but for Lady Jupiter, she loved it. She was moving from here to there and was never aware of the time that flew by quickly. She was so happy to be there that she found herself glowering in disappointment when she realized the restaurant had closed. Reluctantly she grabbed her belongings, said her goodbyes and walked off. She was not quite ready to go home, so she decided to venture around the area.

“This is a pretty nice place,” said Heero Jr. as he observed the shops with approval. “But do you think mom would be here? I mean, she’s a Queen and Queens don’t exactly hang out in common areas.”

His father stayed quiet and his son sighed. ‘I guess there won’t be much conversation going on today,’ thought Heero Jr. slightly dissatisfied.

“I don’t understand,” said Heero finally which startled his son.

“Don’t understand what?” asked Heero Jr.

“Where would your mother be if she lived on Earth? There is no kingdom that houses a Jovian princess and Neo-Queen Serenity doesn’t even exist yet. This cannot be her past.”

“Maybe, she has an invisible castle,” said Heero Jr. jokingly, but to his surprise he could see his father nodding his head as if he was considering the possibility. “I was just kidding dad.” stated Heero Jr.

Heero made no noticeable movement but suddenly turned unexpectedly to face a small shop.

“What is it dad?” asked Heero Jr.

“Wait out here,” he said flatly. “I’ll be right back.” With that said, he walked into the shop and Heero Jr. heard the faint sounds of a bell ringing as the door opened. He stood there feeling a little strange and rocked back and forth on his feet for a while and whistled. Finally bored, he decided to walk around making sure he stayed close to the shop his father had gone into.

“Hey!” came a gruff sounding voice.

Heero Jr. turned around thinking that he was being addressed, but found that it was someone else that was being called.

“Hey!” said the guy while slightly jogging to catch up to the girl ahead of him. “I just wanted to talk to ya.” He stepped in front of her causing her to have to stop. She tried to go around him but he purposefully kept blocking her way.

“Look,” she said with obvious nervousness. “I just want to get home, okay?”

The guy looked at her and grinned. “But I want to talk to ya.” he repeated again. “What’s wrong with that?” The girl looked at him nervously and tried once again to go around him but this time he grabbed her. “Just a little talk,” he whispered in her ear. She then tried to yank her arm away from him but he was too strong. Then before Heero Jr. could call to stop him, someone else had taken control.

“Get away from her!” came a cold voice. The man then stopped annoyed and looked up at the newcomer then back at the girl that he had firmly held in place. He suddenly let her go and she quickly ran home.

“You wouldn’t be a bad catch for the night,” he commented as if she was an item that was for sale. She then scoffed and his grin widened.

“Confident, aren’t you? Well you won’t be soon enough,” his grin then becoming more cynical.

“Oh really,” replied the girl sarcastically. She then dropped her bag and boldly moved close enough to where he could easily grab her and stared at him daringly. “This is your last chance to back out. After this any and all injuries are your fault, not mine.”

He laughed at her words and quickly stepped forward to grab her. She stepped to the side tripping him and he became angered. Hastily, he got on his feet and came flying around with a punch at which she had blocked easily with her hand. She held his fist firmly and jerked it behind her and came around with a kick and sent him so hard to the ground that Heero Jr. cringed. The guy then got up again and tried to punch her but she deflected it and sent a balled fist to his gut. He then froze and she stepped back allowing him to fall over.

“Can’t say I didn’t warn you,” she said as she went to get her stuff that she left on the ground. Feeling a bit guilty, she went and tried to help him up but he jerked his arm away from her.

“Suit yourself,” she said with a shrug. Then she turned and started to walk off.

The man on the ground then pulled himself up and pulled out a dark object from his jacket. Heero Jr. then realized what it was and called to the girl to watch out. As she turned the man had his gun up and was about to pull the trigger when all of a sudden a dagger came flying by and hit the gun away. It belonged to the girl that he was aiming at. He looked at her wide-eyed and suddenly took off running. ‘Why can’t they think before they try stupid things?’ she thought to herself as she looked back at the guy who had just turned the corner. She stood there contemplating whether or not she should go after him, but resolved not to. She then went to pick up her knife and put it away in her bag and looked over to Heero Jr. who was trying to leave without her noticing.

“Hey,” she called and he stopped and turned around.

“Yes?” he said nervously with his hand scratching the back of his head.

“Thanks,” she said and he released a huge sigh of relief. She laughed and walked up to him.

“The names Haruka,” she said with an outstretched hand. He took it and was surprised at her gentle grip. He had seen her beat up that guy no problem, but now she had the hand shake of a ‘girl’.

“You’re a real good fighter,” he commented.

“Thanks,” she replied.

“So where’d you learn to fight like that?” he asked.

She shrugged. “Just picked it up, I guess.”

He looked at her in amazement and she somewhat felt sorry for him. He seemed pretty gullible and that was never a good trait in this century. There was no way that she could’ve picked up fighting like that by just watching others do it. It took a lot of years of getting beat up by the negaverse before she could even defend herself properly.

“You new around here?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he answered. “Me and my dad- err I mean my umm-” there was a sudden beep that came from Haruka and Heero suddenly rejoiced at the good timing.

“Sorry,” she said apologetically. “I’ve got to go.” She was almost gone when she abruptly turned around. “Hey, maybe to pay you back I can show you around the place, since your new and all.”

“Okay,” said Heero Jr. there didn’t seem to be anything wrong in that.

“Alright, meet me here tomorrow at ten.” With that said she took off and Heero Jr. waved her goodbye.

“Hello sir, how may I help you?” asked the store clerk. He was a bald short and stubby man with a graying black beard. His face was wrinkled from the years and his eyes were a kind washed over black.

Heero looked at him and motioned towards the pink roses in a vase. “Can I see those?” he asked. Happily the man brought them over to him and smiled as Heero seemingly lost himself in the smell of them. The elderly man watched him intently and was reminded of someone.

“You know,” he said and took Heero out of his trance. “you remind me of a young lady that lives around here.”

Heero then looked up in seeming interest and commenced asking him questions.

“What is she like?” he asked.

“Oh, it’s hard to say…” he commented. “It all depends, really. She’s one of those people that you’ll have to meet for yourself.”

Heero then nodded slowly.

“Say, are you new in town?” asked the man, and Heero nodded.

“I’ve come down to look for…a friend,” he finally managed to say.

“Really? What’s their name?” he asked.

“You probably wouldn’t know them,” replied Heero.

“Now now son, I’ve lived here my whole life! I’m sure I’ll know who you’re talking about.” he said enthusiastically.

“Makoto,” said Heero. “Her name’s Makoto.” He slightly cringed at the sound of the foreign name that he had rarely let fall off his tongue. It was strange to hear it and it was weird to speak. He had to stand there for a while and convince himself that Makoto and Lady Jupiter were the same person, though he could hardly remember her ever being called by that name.

The man before him lit up in sudden joy. His eyes brightened and he seemed to bounce with excitement as he thought of her and Heero was taken aback by the reaction. Surely this guy wasn’t excited about Lady Jupiter, was he?

“Makoto! Why, that’s the girl I was telling you about! She’s such a sweetheart. Say…are you her boyfriend?” he asked suddenly leaning closer to him and dropping his voice down to a whisper.

Heero hesitated before speaking. “No,” he said and suddenly felt a large weight drop to the pit of his stomach as a wave of guilt fell over him. “I’m just a friend.”

The man then straightened himself up in sudden disappointment and frowned. He could painfully remember watching Makoto go out with those other boys. He had seen that they weren’t good enough for her but held his tongue when he saw how happy she seemed to be. Yet they all ended up breaking up with her every time and she was left heartbroken. Those disgraceful no good pieces of junk! They used her until she had no more interest to them and just kicked her to the curb. The girl had a big heart, though it was often overlooked because of her boyish habits, and he knew none of those boys cared for it at all. This boy though…well he seemed different. More reserved, down to earth, and adored those roses just like she always did. True, he wasn’t like any of the other boys that Makoto had gone out with, but maybe that’s what she needed…someone different.

“That’s a shame,” he said with a weak smile. “You guys could really hit it off if you wanted.”

Heero scoffed inwardly as he thought of the future where they would be married. She was always off doing something and he was left to pretend that he was busy. He didn’t necessarily dislike her but he didn’t love her either. They just never got close. When they had a son, he had constantly struggled in his mind to think of when they had even gotten that close. Lady Jupiter was no drinker and neither was he, but he imagined that night there must’ve been something a little out of the ordinary floating around the air in order for them to have done something like that. Of course, it would never happen again.

“Well, I don’t want to waste your time, sir, so what’ll it be?”

“I’ll take half a dozen roses please,” he replied. He had originally come into the store to get information and purposefully dwelt on the roses, knowing that Mr. Morris, the cashier, would start talking. He had hoped to get confirmation that Lady Jupiter lived around here, but now he was more confused than ever. Mr. Morris was usually a good source (due to his future contributions that is) of information, but his description of Makoto could not be of the same person that he was looking for.

“Here you go,” said Mr. Morris as he handed Heero the pink roses wrapped in plastic. Heero tried to pay but Mr. Morris wouldn’t let him. “It’s on the house.” he said with a smile and Heero thanked him and left.

“That took a while,” said Heero Jr. as he sat at a nearby bench. “You went in there to get flowers?”

Heero looked at him and continued towards the apartment and his son rushed to catch up to him.

A little exasperated, Heero Jr. began to speak. “I got us a tour around the place tomorrow. Maybe we can find mom then.” His father was quiet. “This girl, named Haruka, she says she’ll be able to show us around if we meet her at ten tomorrow morning. What’d you think?”

“Best not disappoint her,” said Heero stoically.

“So,” said Heero Jr. looking at the flowers. “What are those for?”

Heero looked at them slowly and then tossed them to the side. He had always loved the beauty of the rose but never showed it for fear that it would be taken away like everything else he dared loved. It was one reason why he could manage living on Jupiter. The gardens were covered with them and when it was dark and no one was watching, he would go walk amongst the sweet fragrance and beauty.

“Okay?” said Heero Jr. slowly. He had never really seen his dad carrying flowers before and was kind of worried about him. He was acting pretty strangely. They had quickly arrived at the room and went straight to bed and Heero was left there awake to think.

Makoto…what a weird name. He was lucky he had even remembered it. With a sigh he then turned over. ‘I wonder what she used to do at this time of night.’ he thought before drifting off to sleep.

“We really ought to find a way to schedule these fights for a better time slot,” said Makoto as she looked at her watch. “I’ve got work tomorrow morning and it doesn’t look like I’ll be getting much sleep tonight. Typical…”

“You can say that again,” said Haruka as she ran her hands through her hair. “But,” she said snapping out of her negative thoughts. “We sure did finish that one off well.”

Makoto then laughed at her comment and shook her head and decided to play along.

“We sure did,” replied Makoto with an outstretched hand. Haruka then took and they did their ‘secret hand shake.’

“I’ll be seeing you tomorrow,” said Haruka with a wave. Makoto waved back and they both went their separate ways.

Once Makoto got inside she dropped her things on the floor and headed for the shower. She hadn’t found any traces of her son or husband (even though she really didn’t have time to look) and was saddened somewhat but all the while happy. She was doing something now which was contrary to her life on Jupiter. Most people would look down on her now and think of her as ‘lower class’ but she didn’t care. She was happier in a lower class status than she was as royalty. Feeling much more at peace, she went to lay down in her bed and quickly went to sleep.

………………………&# 8230;…

That’s that, tell me how you like it! Thanks for all the reviews, I appreciate it. And remember! Constructive criticism is well welcomed. If you have any suggestions then I’d like to hear it please. Well, see ya laterz. Oh, and I don’t own SM or GW.

PS

I know Haruka’s a little OOC but I couldn’t find anyone else to fill the spot!