Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale Of Two Gumis ❯ Haruka goes for a run ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

11th Year Meiji
 
It was morning. Haruka could tell because the birds were chirping as noisily as usual. And the sun wasn't even up yet.
 
Yawning quietly, Haruka rose from her blanket and stretched careful not to disturb the others. It was perfect. She could do her morning run now without being disturbed. They would all be tired. She and the other girls - except Usagi, Chibiusa and the other small ones - had stayed up very late last night.
 
Smiling, Haruka quietly stepped outside and started her pre-run stretching. The air was so cool and clean. She couldn't believe that she was in a different era that was free of the pollution she had grown so used to. It was actually quite nice, but she knew she couldn't stay here forever. This wasn't her home and Usagi's destiny couldn't come to pass here.
 
“Hmmm, I'd better get started before anyone else wakes up,” she thought aloud “otherwise they'll want me to stay and chat or go back to bed,” and with that started towards the front gate. But as she did, she heard the door to Kenshin's room slide open and turned around in surprise to see him exit his room dressed in a navy blue sleeping yukata.
 
His hair was down and draped over his shoulders in elegant folds even as it cascaded down to the middle of his back. His eyes sparkled with their usual cheerful alertness, but were still touched with the after affects of sleep. But his smile was still bright and welcoming.
 
“Ah!” Haruka greeted in surprise. “Himura san! I didn't think anyone else would be awake so early!”
 
Kenshin smiled at her as he shifted the bundle in his arms. As Haruka studied it more closely, she noticed it was his pink gi and white hakama from yesterday.
 
“This One always wakes early,” he replied. “That way This One can have breakfast ready by the time everyone else is awake.”
 
Haruka chuckled. “Why do you make the breakfast?” she asked. “Doesn't Kaoru cook well?” She continued the question, thinking //I'm fairly certain that in this era it was the women who did all the cooking.//
 
Kenshin sighed. “Ano . . . she does . . . a little,” he said. “She's just a little out of practice.”
 
Haruka laughed. “I wouldn't have expected a samurai to know how to cook,” she remarked to him.
 
Kenshin just smiled.
 
“I'm sorry if I woke you, Himura san,” said Haruka with a slight bow.
 
“Daijoubu, Haruka dono,” said Kenshin with a smile. “Eskoshi, what are you doing up so early?”
 
“I just wanted to go for a run this morning,” Haruka replied as she turned to look at the dojo's grounds admiring its beauty, even if it was overgrown. Everything had been washed anew by the previous night's rain and glistened with a crystalline brilliance that reminded her of a home she had known once long ago. She smiled.
 
//Of course, I don't really know my way around here due to the era change,// she realized as she watched the grey-blue light of dawn filled the sky replacing the grey of predawn. //This Tokyo is very different from the one we know. The landmarks I've memorized, for the most part, won't be here anymore. Ah well, that shouldn't matter, this dojo's not to hard to miss after all.//
 
“Sou ka,” said Kenshin helpfully as he walked over to her. “Well, if it is a run you need, there are some very nice forest paths just beyond the dojo. Onegai, follow and This One will show you the best one.”
 
With that, he turned and headed for the opposite side of the dojo. Haruka hesitated, but followed Kenshin none the less and as he reached a small gate on the east side of the dojo he opened it for her, polite as ever. Then he stepped out onto the path beyond the gate just enough to properly point her in the direction she should follow.
 
Haruka was still startled by Kenshin's offer as she looked up the path, surprised by the beauty of the nearly untouched forest. It glowed with a strange early morning light that was practically enchanting.
 
//This is strange,// she thought uneasily. //Normal people don't get up so early after a late night like last night and then show you some path to take for a run. They'd tell you to go back to sleep, just like Usagi. Then again . . . // she realized as she glanced at Kenshin, //most `normal' people don't refer to themselves in third person either. Was he speaking that way last night too? Yes, I think he was. Strange . . .//
 
Nevertheless, Haruka couldn't help but smile at the path she saw. After all in her time you could usually only find paths like this in protected park areas: even then the paths were clearly defined so you couldn't just run off into the woods wherever or whenever you wanted to. It was good to see a place, an era at least, where a lot of nature still had a presence. It was a rare, beautiful sight.
 
“This is the path that This One would recommend you take, Haruka dono,” Kenshin said as he looked up at her with a smile. “Enjoy your run.”
 
“Thank you,” said Haruka gratefully, and offered Kenshin a small bow before taking off at a jog. She would wait to start her run until she was sure she was out of sight.
 
Kenshin grinned as he watched her leave, then closed the gate and headed towards the bath house. Once he got there, he started the fire and then, once it was going, he went inside the bath house and started mentally planning his day.
 
//First I must make breakfast this morning, and then do the laundry. It hasn't been done in a while, after all. The clothes are dirty, save those we brought with us.// He frowned. //Hmm . . . I wonder why I didn't notice it before, but our new friends haven't brought much luggage with them for having traveled such a long way. More must have been stolen from them than they had lead on. Eskoshi . . . maybe they're just poor?//
 
All of this went through Kenshin's mind as he bathed, dried and changed. He even did something that most men would think bizarre for a grown man; he combed his long hair. However, he always combed it because it just felt too heavy if he didn't. It tied up in knots if it wasn't kept neat and it drove him crazy.
 
//As if I weren't `weird' enough already,// he mused, thinking back to the day when he, Kaoru and Yahiko had met Sanosuke for the first time. //Anyway, it doesn't matter. It feels better this way.//
 
With that, Kenshin pulled his long red hair back into its characteristic pony tail and then started towards the kitchen. As he walked, he hummed a little tune, but kept quiet as he passed the dojo and paused at his room to deposit his sleeping yukata. Everyone was still asleep and he didn't want to disturb anyone, especially Kaoru.
 
//So, what should I cook this morning?// he wondered as he neared the kitchen. //Miso soup and rice sound good. Oro?//
 
Kenshin paused when he caught the smell of cooking food coming from the kitchen. “Was there someone else up besides myself and Haruka dono?” he wondered aloud as he peered around the corner. “Haruka dono I can understand. She seems to be the type. But who . . .? Oro!!?”
 
Kenshin stopped immediately when he heard humming coming from the kitchen and snuck towards the door with the silence he had adapted to as a hitokiri. His eyes, however, practically popped out of their sockets when he saw Makoto cooking up a storm over the stove. And suddenly, the thought of being in the kitchen at all was not so inviting.
 
//I think I should go!// he realized and quickly, but very quietly, left the kitchen area to tend to other chores. //I suppose I could always start the laundry early. Except I'll need water. Ah well . . . Perhaps I'll go wake Kaoru instead? By now everyone should be waking up. I can help by gathering everything up.//
 
Once he reached the dojo, he noticed that nearly everyone really was starting to wake up; just a lot more slowly than himself, Haruka and of course Makoto. They stirred more frequently than they would if they were in a deep sleep and stretched as wakefulness roused their senses. He smiled at each of them and wasn't too surprised when he noted that Haruka and Makoto's blankets and futons were already neatly folded. But his smile became brightest when he noticed Kaoru's sleeping form close to where he stood. Softly, he tip toed towards her and knelt at her side.
 
//Such a beautiful young woman,// he thought fondly as he gazed at her, and then suddenly found his hand gently caressing Kaoru's cheek. Gently, he brushed her soft, black hair away from her cheek and combed his fingers through its thick locks. He had never dared to reach out to her like this before except that one night when he had said good bye and felt his heart break when he saw her tears. He had had to fight with himself to keep from turning back. He hated that memory.
 
Sighing, Kenshin shook his head and gently shook her shoulder. “Kaoru dono?” he called softly, smiling tenderly at the girl he had somehow come to love so much, and yet also feared loving because of his past. “Kaoru dono, it's time to wake up de gozaru na.”
 
“Hmmm? Kenshin . . .?” Kaoru mumbled and rolled over in her sleep.
 
Kenshin grinned. “Kaoru dono?” he said, shaking her a little more.
 
This time, Kaoru woke up. But she hadn't exactly been expecting to see Kenshin right over as she did and cried out in surprise, blushing furiously as she sat up a little too quickly and cracked her forehead against his.
 
“Ooooroooo!!!!” Kenshin cried, his eyes spinning crazily as he fell onto his back.
 
“Ah! Kenshin!” Kaoru cried as she held her forehead and stared down at his silly face. “Baka! Don't surprise me like that!”
 
“Gomen, Kaoru dono!” Kenshin cried helplessly as he shook his head and sat up.
 
“What's going on?” yawned Usagi as she and the rest of the Sailor gumi woke up and looked around.
 
“Kaoru san!” Megumi sighed as she hurried over to Kenshin's side. “So violent so early in the morning!” She put a hand to his chin. “Daijoubu, Ken san?” she asked.
 
“Aa, Megumi dono,” Kenshin replied a little sheepishly.
 
Megumi smiled and then turned her twinkling eyes on Kaoru. “Poor Ken san,” she said. “She beats you so regularly.”
 
“Megumi san!!!” Kaoru snarled, devil eyed as the veins popped up at her temples.
 
Megumi just giggled as fox ears popped up from her head. Kenshin sighed as Usagi watched them, and then rolled her eyes in exasperation.
 
Nevertheless, a few minutes later the blankets and futons were all folded up and neatly stacked against one of the dojo's walls as Kenshin, Kaoru and Yahiko lead the girls and Mamorou to a place outside where they could eat in the warm morning light. Makoto found them mingling just in front of the dojo and waved to them as she left the kitchen.
 
“Ohayo, minna!” she called happily. “Everybody hungry? Breakfast is ready and waiting.” She studied them a moment. “I had thought it'd be good to have breakfast on the porch since it's gonna be such a beautiful day, demo your idea's even better! Right out in the sun! It's just like a picnic!”
 
“Picnics are for lunches, not breakfast,” muttered Yahiko, feeling very uneasy with so many girls all about him. //How does Kenshin stand it!!?// He thought, sweat dropping as he watched Hotaru and Chibiusa play with Ayami and Suzumi.
 
“Demo, aren't we one person short?” asked Rei as she looked around. “I don't see Haruka anywhere.”
 
“Me neither,” said Usagi as she let go of Mamorou's hand to look around. “Where is she?”
 
Makoto turned to Michiru. “She didn't say anything to you this morning, did she?” she asked.
 
Michiru shook her head. “Iie, she was gone when I woke up.”
 
“Haruka dono has gone for a run de gozaru na,” Kenshin spoke up as he welcomed Ayami and Suzumi into his arms with delighted laughter - but had to ignore Makoto's eyes filled with adoring stars. “This One showed her a path she could take since he was up as well. It passes through the forest and is relatively flat, so she should be able to run well.”
 
“Yare, yare,” sighed Michiru as she rose to stretch and head towards the porch. “We won't see her for the rest of the day then.”
 
“Why do you say that Michiru san?” Megumi asked as she and the others went to the porch where Makoto stood.
 
“It's just her way,” Michiru replied as she gracefully lowered herself onto the porch. “Whenever she goes out for a run this early in the morning, we never see her until after the sun has started to set. She says it helps to clear her head.”
 
Kenshin glance wonderingly towards the path that he had shown to Haruka to. //She didn't seem to need to clear her head. I wonder what's going on.//
 
* * * * * *
 
As Haruka ran through the forest, she remained careful to take note of landmarks and stayed on guard for any suspicious movement that might indicate an attack.
 
//Just because we got thrown into the past doesn't mean that we should let our guard down. If anything, we should be more on guard given the fact that we don't know what threw us into this Era.//
 
Haruka frowned as she sped up, noting a particular patch of trees up ahead that looked strangely deformed. In fact, the trees were mostly tall bamboo stalks.
 
//Strange,// she thought.
 
Haruka followed the turn in the path and started noting the strange slash marks in both the ground and on the trees. She noted rather curiously as well that a lot of the slash marks went very high up in to the forest canopy. The bamboo and even the few evergreens that rose above her were littered with them. And then suddenly, she came to an abrupt stop. There was a single area in the pristine forest that had been turned into a scene of destruction. Whole bamboo stalks were sliced in half or completely destroyed. Deep gashes, not made by a blade necessarily, ran along the ground until they connected with other objects that were equally damaged. For some reason, this sort of damage looked very familiar to her.
 
Very, very carefully, Haruka entered the tortured glade. She studied the strange gash marks in the ground, on the trees and . . . yes, there was a presence of power even in the air. It was most concentrated in the center of the glade where the maker of this damage had stood. As she approached that area, she noticed strange footsteps. They were spread out and deep, signaling that someone had been moving at incredible speed and with incredible agility and power.
 
//This . . . This can't be!// Haruka thought dazedly. //This step . . . I never thought to see it used again//
 
Feeling very strange, she ran her fingers along a deep indentation on the ground. It had been made by the fast forward step of someone using an advanced version of battou-jutsu, or at least another move like it from a similar school. Only, the user had stepped with the wrong foot.
 
Troubled, Haruka stood and looked around. //These tracks make no sense! No sense at all!// she thought as she studied the center of the grove, using all her skill to get a sense of who had been in this glade. //Why . . . How could `that' have survived after so long? Especially after so much else was lost?//
 
She looked down at the ground again as she started to get a feel of the user's mind. It was strong and sure, confident and wise. Yet, there was a hesitance there, not from the use of a blade, but from something else. What was it?
 
//Still, the signs are all here,// Haruka realized as she went deeper into thought. //'It' has survived! And the user . . . he was training here, and he was very skilled in it. But it's different now. Who is the one who caused this? Where did they learn it? And from who, and when?//
 
Sighing in thought, Haruka sat down on the stump of a tree that had been thoroughly demolished by a single sword stroke. She dropped her head into her head and searched her memories. She pushed back to a time when she and the other “Outers” had been forbidden to leave their posts. And then she went back even further to reach a time when she had had time to enjoy herself, a time when she could fight duels with other Senshi merely for the joy of it . . .
 
A Time Unknown; Silver Millennium
 
“Uranus! Uranus!”
 
Uranus turned only when Neptune's hand latched onto hers before she could take another step. With uncharacteristic sheepishness, she turned and smiled at her partner.
 
“And just were do you think you're going? Not to the training room I hope,” she said and released a heartfelt, exasperated sigh. “Because if you are, I'll have to rat on you to Orion. You know he told you no more training! Especially since your shoulder still hasn't fully recovered from that stunt you pulled in the last bout against him.”
 
“Demo, Neptune I almost have it, I just have to keep trying `til I get it right,” Uranus told her earnestly, and reached out to brush back a strand of sea green hair from Neptune's face. “I promise I'll be careful. I just can't help but feel that this is something that must be done. I just how to figure out how.”
 
Neptune rolled her eyes with another exasperated sigh. “I know you feel that way, but you can't finish it if you permanently damage yourself. And somehow, I doubt very much that Queen Serenity would appreciate having to patch you up AGAIN so soon.”
 
Uranus grimaced. Neptune was definitely right in that. The last time she'd gone to the infirmary the Queen had threatened to tie her to the bed if she didn't rest and let her body heal correctly.
 
//I've got to do this! I need to perfect this new style as soon as possible. It'll be needed very soon. I can feel it all the way to the roots of my soul!//
 
“Come on, Uranus,” said Neptune gently as she tugged on Uranus's arm. “Let's go find something else to do. Maybe we can entice Pluto to show us some more history of Silver Millennium.”
 
Uranus sighed in exasperation and followed her friend to Pluto's separate chamber, which was also a separate dimension. It was the fourth dimension, a place few could ever go. As they got closer, however, they started to hear voices from behind the special door.
 
“Eh?” said Haruka curiously as she leaned in to hear. “Who's in there?”
 
“Pluto, I need you to contact the Queen for me, please,” said a tired, pain filled voice softly.
 
“Hai, Leader-sama,” replied Pluto's voice. “I'll fetch her immediately. Demo, why don't you go to the infirmary first?”
 
“Iie, I cannot allow anyone but you and the Queen to see me now.”
 
Nervous, Neptune took Uranus's arm and stepped back. But as she moved, the floor creaked and she and Uranus froze where they were.
 
“Uranus, Neptune,” Pluto's voice called softly from behind the door. “Onegai, come in here.”
 
Hesitantly, the two scouts pushed open the door and entered the familiar room. But they were greeted by a disturbing sight. A woman, obviously a scout, sat slouching against a wall next to the door. Her hair was matted and her uniform was torn and tattered, even covered with blood in some places. Some of that blood was obviously hers and some of her wounds were still bleeding freely. She had been in a fight, which confused Uranus and made her uneasy.
 
//We aren't fighting anyone that I know of,// Uranus thought as she studied the woman. //What's going on?//
 
Painfully, the woman resting against the wall turned to look at Uranus. Their eyes locked for a moment and Uranus found it difficult to look into those eyes, almost impossible even. And yet, at the same time, they were harder to look away from. There was such pain there . . .
 
“Neptune?” said Pluto's voice, snapping Uranus out of the trance. “Would you please fetch Queen Serenity? Tell her that Leader has returned . . . and she is gravely injured.”
 
“H-Hai!” replied Neptune with a little unease, but obediently rushed from the room. She and Uranus were very young still and had yet to master all of their skills as scouts.
 
“Uranus,” said Pluto again as Neptune disappeared down the hall, and Uranus turned to her eagerly. “Go to the bathroom and look for a large black box. Once you find it, bring it back here, onegai.”
 
Uranus nodded and hurried to do as told as Pluto went over to kneel by the injured woman - Leader, was it? As she entered the bathroom, she immediately looked around for a large black box, but did not see it immediately. It was on the bottom shelf of a stand that held toiletries and other things necessary for good hygiene. Thinking nothing of it, she grabbed it, but soon found herself heaving as she pulled the box - more like dragged it - from the shelf and quickly carried it from the bathroom. But she understood now why Pluto had asked her to get this box and not Neptune. Neptune was a perfect runner, one of the fastest (though not as fast as Uranus), but she didn't have Uranus's strength.
 
//Neptune never could have carried this,// she realized. //What's in here?//
 
As Uranus entered the main chamber again, she watched how Pluto frantically tried to stop the injured woman's bleeding.
 
“HURRY! Bring that here!” Pluto snapped urgently when she noticed Uranus standing in the doorway.
 
“H-Hai!” Uranus replied and hurried over while heaving the box in her arms. In a few seconds, she had reached Pluto's side and rested the box on the ground next to the older scout.
 
“Arigotou,” said Pluto distractedly and quickly opened it as Uranus watched. As it turned out, the box was a medical kit. It surprised Uranus with just how much was in there. It had more than anyone could possibly need. This continued to marvel Uranus as she watched Pluto place the gauze over the worst of the wounds, and then looked at Uranus. Understanding what was needed of her, Uranus took the rolls of wrap and gently started winding them around the woman's injuries.
 
It took several minutes, but when they were finished, the door to Pluto's fourth dimension opened again. All three turned to look as Queen Serenity stepped in with Neptune close behind her.
 
11th Year of Meiji
 
Haruka shook her head in surprise as she looked up from her thoughts. So much time had passed while she had meditated and no answers had come yet.
 
//Hmmm . . . I wonder what brought that memory out?// she thought as she stood up stretching lightly to help her muscles loosen up for the run back. //I wasn't looking for that one in particular . . . . almost. Ah well. I had better get going if I want to be back in time for dinner.//
 
A sudden growling in her stomach confirmed her mental statement, and with a small smile she turned back the way she had come. Kaoru's dojo was not that far away, but she was determined to return to this place again.
 
* * * * * *
 
“Mou Kenshin?”
 
Kenshin turned to her questioningly. “Nanni, Kaoru-dono?”
 
“Why don't you go look for Haruka-san?” Kaoru suggested as she came over to him from the porch. “It's almost time for lunch and she's already missed breakfast.”
 
Kenshin just smiled at her as he returned to his usual chore; the laundry. He knew she was irritated, but somehow he knew she shouldn't be. Haruka was a woman who could take care of herself.
 
“Demo, Kaoru-dono, Michiru-dono has said that this behavior was usual for Haruka-dono,” he told her patiently. “This One is not certain that Haruka-dono will come back if This One does find her.”
 
Kaoru sighed and folded her arms across her chest. “Demo, Kenshin, you showed her the path you use all the time,” she told him.
 
Kenshin paused in his task and turned to look at Kaoru, suddenly a little concerned. //That patch of forest where I've practiced with the sakabatou . . . I've gone there to vent frustrations and retain my skills in order to better protect Kaoru and the others. It's on that path. Demo, will she be able to . . .? No, I'm sure it's alright.//
 
“Daijoubu, Kaoru-dono,” Kenshin told her with his sunny smile. “This One is sure she is fine.”
 
Yet even as he said that, Kenshin himself started to worry a little more. //At least, I don't think she will be able to decipher more then the fact that someone took a sword to the bamboo. No one save Shishou or perhaps even those who have lived and fought with me could understand the patterns in that grove. I'm worrying too much.//
 
But his unease remained. Lunch time came and went. Talk of Makoto's good cooking filled the dojo as everyone pitched in to clean and repair the damages done to the dojo when Saito had attacked Sanosuke to draw out the Battosai within Kenshin. Usagi, strangely enough, started living up to her claim at being able to clean anything. She and Kaoru even had a contest and at one point, both girls tried to drag their love interests in on the game. But rather conveniently, they had found other tasks to perform.
 
Nevertheless, as evening started to draw near, the Kenshin-gumi started to grow worried. Haruka had yet to return and even though Kenshin did not pester the dojo's guests as Yahiko and Kaoru did, he couldn't deny that he was starting to wonder just what Haruka was up to, or if she was alright. Why did Haruka feel such a need for so prolonged amounts of solo down time? Was she more like him than he had first thought?
 
//They're avoiding answering any of our questions directly,// he noted as he watched Kaoru and Yahiko interrogate Usagi and the others. //Either they don't know why she feels the need to be alone or, more likely, they're protecting her somehow.//
 
Kenshin watched them a little longer and noted a definite pattern. //They are definitely protecting her, demo from what? Why would she need protection? From what I saw she was able to defend herself quite well.//
 
“ENOUGH!” Michiru exclaimed suddenly, and Kenshin turned to look at her. “Haruka is fine! Whatever her reasons are for wanting privacy they are hers alone and not your concern. All you're doing is talking in circles. She can take care of herself and will be back when she's good and ready and not one moment before.”
 
“Demo. . .” Kaoru began, but Kenshin interrupted her in a soothing tone.
 
“Kaoru-dono, they have been more than patient with your questions. And you know that there are some things in people's pasts that they cannot reveal to others. Onegai, This One knows you understand this.”
 
Slowly, he turned to look at Kaoru and Yahiko with a pointed gaze, reminding them each of his own past. At this, Kaoru and Yahiko flush and look down as they apologize.
 
“Daijoubu,” Usagi reassured the chastised group as she turned to Michiru, who gave her a slight nod. “Haruka has many painful memories that at times overwhelm her, so she goes off alone.” She turned to look up at the sky, worried. “Demo, she hasn't been gone ~this~ long in a long time.”
 
“Mmm,” said Michiru slowly as she followed Usagi's gaze. “Being in Tokyo could have . . . Eh?”
 
“Konbanwa, Minna,” called a voice. Everyone turned to see Haruka, sweaty and tired, enter the dojo through the same gate Kenshin had showed her earlier. She didn't seem to notice the worry the Kenshin-gumi had plastered on their faces and yet turned to her most prominent host, the owner of Kamyia Kashinn-Ryuu; Kaoru.
 
“Gomen nasai if I've worried you,” Haruka said. “I just needed to spend some time alone today and do some thinking.”
 
“Daijoubu,” said Kaoru with humble relief as she and the others turned to the tall blonde. “I'm just glad you're back safely.”
 
Haruka smiled.
 
Turning to look at the woman behind him Kenshin sweeps a piercing gaze over her. Looking her over he is unsurprised to see that she is sweaty and looks worn out, however, he is surprised to see the pain she was obviously, to him, trying to hide. Looking around the group he notices that she has managed to fool everyone but himself, Michiru and, surprisingly, Usagi. The former looked slightly peeved while the latter looked very worried.
 
//That girl seems like an airhead, not good for anything but looks and kindness. But now looking at her I see depths that I had not seen before. Why? Why didn't I see that in her before? And why is it that Haruka reminds me of Shishou for some reason, and the rest seem to have sides that I could not see. Or was I not allowed to see these sides? Are they so good at hiding their true natures? And IF they are could they be enemies?//
 
While Kenshin is lost in his thoughts Kaoru shows Haruka to the bath house and discussions begin concerning dinner. At that moment there comes a knocking at the front gate.
 
This knocking is followed promptly by the sound of the gate opening and a voice calling out, “OI! Kenshin, Jou-chan, Megumi said you guys were back. . .”
 
The voice trails off as the owner, a young man in a white outfit with a red bandana and hair sticking up on end comes into the dojo and stops dead at the sight which greats him.
 
As the man slowly sweeps the room with this gaze he starts counting //1…2…3…4…5…6…7// His jaw drops //seven women seven! Oh I'm going to get Megumi back for not telling me about this sooner.//
 
“Ah gomen, I didn't know you had guests Jou-chan,” the young man says apologetically a goofy grin on his face.
 
“Hehheh I guess Megumi didn't tell you everything Sano-san” Kaoru said with a laugh. By this time all activity had stopped and everyone was turning to stare “Minna let me introduce you to Sagara Sanosuke, Sano these young ladies and young man are my guests for as long as they wish.”
 
“I'm pleased to meet you ladies,” Sano says giving them an exaggerated bow and winking at Makoto already having noted that she had cooking utensils in her