Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale Of Two Gumis ❯ Sano/Makoto? ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

11th Year Meiji
 
The introductions were finally over. Sano had sat and listened with interest and confusion throughout it all. But he had remained mostly surprised. Leave it to Kenshin to attract all the unique people and situations that resulted in fist fights, sword swinging and dizzy bad guys while he was away. But this time Sano was just flat out flabbergasted even as the larger-than-usual group started to gather for dinner.
 
What's with all the girls? He mused to himself as he watched Kenshin sit beside Kaoru, smiling as usual. Sure, Kenshin's a girl magnet. But this is ridiculous!!
 
He sighed as he looked at the food that had been prepared. His mouth immediately started watering with anticipation as the wonderful smells overloaded his olfactory lobes. He had never seen such a wonderful selection of food before, except at the Akebeko. But here, it looked a little . . . well, he couldn't decide. But it was certainly more artistic than what Tae-san could do.
 
“Oii, Kenshin?” he said as he looked at the red haired rurouni. “Who made this?”
 
Usagi put an arm around Makoto's shoulders, “Makoto-chan did!” she chirped happily. “It's one of her favorite things to do!”
 
“Oh?” said Sanosuke as he granted Makoto a quick glance and then threw his gaze to the food again. “Looks fantastic!”
 
“Wait until you try it,” ventured Michiru with a small smile as she sat down beside Haruka and Setsuna.
 
Sanosuke spared her a glance and then looked at the food as everyone turned expectantly to Makoto.
 
“Well, dig in every body!” she told them happily, and the group eagerly complied.
 
Idle chatter and contented compliments immediately followed the lavishly prepared meal as Makoto sat munching her own portion and blushing modestly at the compliments. But no one's compliments were as delighted as Sanosuke's, who barely managed to get in a word through a mouthful of food.
 
“Sugoi! This food is great! Really great!” Sanosuke mumbled as he swallowed down a large helping of rice and shrimp.
 
Makoto chuckled with slight embarrassment and blushed lightly as she rubbed the back of her head. “Arigoto, Sano-san!” He has worse eating habits then myself and Usagi combined! She thought as she watched him continue shoveling the food into his mouth. At least Usagi and I have the decency not pig out when eating semi-formally with a group of near strangers.
 
“So, I guess this is why you're in Tokyo, right?” Sano asked enthusiastically as he swallowed down some more food. “To become a famous chef?”
 
“Well, not really,” Makoto said as she gazed thoughtfully up at the sky. “What I really want is to open my own restaurant. It's always been a dream of mine since I've always loved cooking. Eventually I might be able to make it work, but for now the girls and I are sticking around to help Kaoru-san repair her dojo.” She shrugged. “It's our way of saying thank you for letting us stay here.”
 
“Sou ka!” Sanosuke grinned and immediately returned to his food. “Well, keep up the good work, ne? I've no doubt you'll run a great restaurant! This is terrific!”
 
“Aa,” agreed Yahiko happily as he swallowed down a gulp of food. “It's almost as good as Tae-san's stuff!”
 
Sanosuke glanced at him. Almost as good? he thought with a grin. Nah, this is better! Sugoi! Sugoi!! It's way better! And that's saying something!
 
Sanosuke allowed himself a grin as he pushed more food into his mouth and didn't notice the thoughtful gaze that Makoto sent his way.
 
He's kind of cute, Makoto thought bemusedly as she studied him a little more, and then blushed as she looked over at Kenshin again. Well, he's not as cute as Kenshin, although Kenshin is a little short. But he's got such beautiful eyes!!
 
Makoto found herself giggling softly and she stole a glance at Sanosuke again, once more comparing him with the short, but kind hearted red-haired rurouni. Sanosuke certainly is tall, though. He might even be a little taller than Taiki-san (1). His hair is really cool, too. Kind of like a rooster's head.
 
Makoto smiled to herself. Judging by his appearance and temperament, Sanosuke would most likely have an attitude to match. He was a fighter, she could tell he'd be a brawler for fighting style, yet he had been accepted into the Dojo and obviously fit with the rest of the group. He was also one of Kenshin's trusted friends. Kenshin was unique for a swordsman in Japan. His brilliant red hair was like the flame from a dragon's mouth, but his gentle eyes were almost like a child's. Yet they saw more than most did, they understood what others could not. He was a riddle, but a charming riddle.
 
I wonder if he'll ever look at me the way my old boyfriend used to? Makoto wondered dreamily as she watched Kenshin converse happily with Kaoru and Yahiko. I hope he does. He may be short, but . . . but I'd like to look into those eyes for forever.
 
“So,” said Sanosuke suddenly, and Makoto looked at him in surprise. “You guys are here helping Jou-chan with her dojo?”
 
“Eh?” said Makoto, blinking at him almost stupidly. And then . . . “Oh! Hai! Like I said, it's a way to repay her for letting us stay in her dojo. Most of us will be able to do the repairs, but the girls and Usagi . . . well, they're best at cleaning.” She suddenly laughed nervously before continuing. “I mean, Usagi's a wiz at cleaning, but she's a disaster with a hammer.”
 
“Demo, even Usagi can't clean everything herself,” noted Rei with a chuckle as everyone turned to her. “So, we're going to have the girls help her.”
 
Sanosuke, Kenshin, Kaoru and Yahiko blinked at them.
 
“'Wiz'?” drawled out Sanosuke, clearly confused.
 
“Ano . . . well . . .” stumbled Makoto sheepishly as she looked around at the others for help.
 
“Wiz' is a shortened term for wizard and it's used as a compliment to say that someone has or is capable of performing a task very well. It's origins….” Ami started to offer an explanation to the term.
 
“Ack!” shouted Haruka as she tackled Ami. Ami blinked at her in surprise as Haruka put her hands over Ami's mouth and then turned to look at Sano and the rest of the Kenshin-gumi. They were all staring at her in surprise.
 
“Gomen,” Haruka said with something close to sheepishness. “Demo, if you get her started on a lecture she'll never quit. She'll go on and on about everything she knows about that subject.” She shook her head and looked down at Ami with fondness. But she hastily bowed her head slightly in apology when she saw the indignant glare that Ami was giving her. “Gomen ne, Ami-chan! Demo, you do tend to draw out the lecture to the extreme quite a bit. Skoshi, I'll let you up and take my hands from your mouth if you promise not to provide us with anymore lectures, agreed?”
 
“And you will not attack her in retaliation, ne?” said Michiru with a smile in Ami's direction as she sipped some tea.
 
Authors Notes
 
For those who don't know It's Taiki from Sailor Stars I know Stars hasn't reached the US other then as fan translations but hey works for me also the Manga form of Stars has been out for some time.