Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Red And Blue ❯ The Reader ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Wow, and another chapter goes up. My memory is lousy, and since I’m like 5 episodes behind in this fic, I’ll have to make do with the manga. This is Chapter 17. Read and review.

Disclaimers: YYH, Magic Knight Rayearth and Sailor Moon aren’t mine.

Chapter Summary: The Spirit Detective's best chance to uncover the truth behind the tunnel lies with the mind reader, Murota. But mere hours after entering Mushiyori City, Yusuke and team find themselves being hunted by an unseen evil. Just who are Black Angel, Gate Keeper, Sniper, Gourmet, Game Master, Doctor, and Sea Man?

Chapter 17: The Reader

*********************************************************** ***********************************************

Two days later…

“Man this is serious. I never expected it to be like this.” Yusuke remarked, noting the numerous Makai bugs flying around.

“Normal people don’t seem to see these insects. If they could really see them, they’ll probably freak.” Kido added.

“What do you think?” he asked Yusuke.

“Insects everywhere, how am I supposed to know?” Yusuke retorted.

“In this kind of place, there isn’t any entertainment. I’ve been wondering when can it be restored back.” Yana commented.

“It’s amazing, right now I want to protect this city.” he added.

“Once I think that someone’s smiling at the sight of this, I’m disgusted” he admitted.

“No matter who the enemy is, I won’t allow him to commit such sins in the place I grew up in.”

“You can rant all you want, but remember, don’t go off on your own. If he has the power, that means the danger is more imminent.” Genkai advised.

“Kurama’s group went off to check the tunnel. I wonder if they’re alright? That‘s the home base of the enemy.” Yusuke mused aloud.

“Don’t worry, Kurama isn’t like you, he won’t do anything you would do.” Genkai replied.

“Darn it, you don’t believe me!” Yusuke hissed.

********************************************************** ************************************************

Elsewhere…< br>
The above-mentioned redhead sneezed.

Four ‘Bless you’s were heard.

“Are you sure you aren’t coming down with something, Kurama?” Kuwabara asked.

“Yes.” Kurama answered.

“Then maybe someone’s talking about you.” Botan noted.

Wonder who? Icy joked.

Kurama let out a mental chuckle.

“Is this really where the tunnel is?” Kaitou asked, his eyes searching the wide field.

“It’s only a plain pasture.” Kuwabara noted.

“They still say something about a spell-caster; we can’t even find where they’re hiding. Is that person really in the center of the tunnel?” he asked.

“If they’re using human power to make the tunnel go off-track, it must be in a circular shape. And in that tunnel, there should be a very powerful spell-caster in the middle of it. I can’t think of any other location, other than this.” Kurama explained.

“But it isn’t on the surface…” Kaitou added.

“It’s underground.” Icy completed the sentence.

“Still typing on that computer of yours, Blue?” Kurama teased.

Icy flipped her Mercury computer shut and glared playfully at her mate; she knew he was teasing.

Then, something caught her attention.

Frowning slightly, a feather materialized between her fingers and she threw it towards the aluminum fence some distance away from the group.

Right after that, she immediately took off to the hedge, with Kurama on her heels.

“What’s wrong?” Kuwabara asked.

“We’re being watched.” Kurama supplied as Icy went forward to retrieve her feather.

“Just as I thought.” she smiled, pulling the feather off the ground.

Turning around, she showed the group the feather.

One side of the feather stalk was dyed with blood. Obviously it had cut whomever was watching them.

“Botan, can you analyze this?” she asked, handing the feather to the girl.

Botan nodded and kept the feather.

“We’ll have to meet up with Yusuke and the others.” Kurama remarked.

******************************************************** **************************************************

Back with Yusuke’s group…

“Felt that?” Genkai asked, as they were gripped by a feeling.

“Hn, seems like we’ve stepped into someone’s territory.” Yusuke noted.

“Unless someone’s using his ability, there’s no way we can feel it.” Kido noted.

“Then who is using his ability in this area?” Yana asked.

“Down there.” Yusuke nodded to the stairway that led down to some basement.

“Welcome.” a waiter greeted.

Turning his attention to the only four playing mahjong, Yana replied, “Must be one of the four.”

“Including the storekeepers, six.” Yusuke reminded.

“”Pung! Mahjong!” someone announced proudly.

“Again? All my tiles were taken by you!” someone else complained.

“Did you see all our tiles?” another accused.

“Let’s play.” Yusuke suggested.

Sweatdrops all around.

“I don’t know how to play.” Genkai replied.

“I can listen to what you’re thinking.” the winner remarked.

“I quit!” one of the players replied.

“Me too!” another agreed.

“Are you looking for me?” the winner asked, with his back still turned to Yusuke’s group.

Standing up, he turned to face them.

“Are you one of them who have a special ability?” Yusuke asked.

“Please, not cause trouble here.” the storekeeper pleaded.

“Shut up!” Murota shouted.

“We’re looking for someone who’s digging a hole.” Yusuke supplied.

“You’re referring to the tunnel?” Murota suggested.

“You knew!” Kido hissed.

“You guys were the ones who kept talking about it, in your minds.” Murota snickered.

“He really has the ability to read other people’s minds.” Kido noted.

“Iie he’s probably faking it. Maybe he had other abilities. If he’s really in cahoots with the enemy, then not only will he know about the tunnel, he’ll also know who we are.” Yusuke disagreed.

“Let me try.” Kido offered.

No matter who he is, he shouldn’t be able to know about my ability beforehand. If he’s lying about his ability, then I should be able to step onto his shadow. he mentally added.

“What’s the matter? A duel?” Murota sniggered.

“Use your ability then. I’ll fight you!” Kido challenged.

“It’s Kido’s territory.” Yusuke noted.

Yana nodded in agreement.

Just as Kido was about to step onto Murota’s shadow, Murota stepped back, much to everyone’s shock.

With three punches in succession, Kido was knocked out.

“Hn, you won’t be able to step onto my shadow.” Murota boasted.

He read my mind! So, he wasn’t bluffing. Kido noted mentally.

“So want to fight? My ambition is to become a professional boxer. I’ll use my ability of mind-reading to conquer the world.” Murota announced.

“Looks like you aren’t bluffing. But I’ll have to decide whether you’re good or evil.”
Yusuke commented.

“Behind me here is Yana. He has the ability to copy anyone with a simple touch of his finger, including memories. If you only have a special ability, then work with us here.” he offered.

“Insolent brat! I refuse to be embroiled in your conflict.” Murota scoffed.

“You have guts!’ Yusuke noted, removing his jacket.

“Is he going to be alright? Once his mind is read, how can he attack?” Yana asked.

“Don’t worry. Yusuke is the winner of the Dark Tournament. To him, it makes no difference.” Genkai replied.

“Now, I’ll attack straight from your right.” Yusuke announced.

What’s he doing? Murota wondered.

Reading his mind, Murota was shocked to find out that Yusuke was thinking exactly what he said.

What an idiot! He still wants to come directly at me. This is too easy. he added.

“Here I go.” Yusuke commented.

Then, to Murota’s surprise, Yusuke disappeared in a twinkling of an eye.

Before Murota knew anything, Yusuke was right in front of him.

Stunned, Murota could only watch as Yusuke’s punch went straight for him.

Murota was knocked out.

“Incredible. I didn’t even he him move.” Kido noted.

“He only used thirty percent of his strength.” Genkai added.

“He’s lucky I stopped just in time. I only used my spirit energy to knock him out.” Yusuke confessed.

“Yana, copy him” he added.

With a touch of his hand, Murota was instantly copied.

“He’s innocent. He doesn’t know anything.” Yana said.

“I see. But he can be pretty useful.” Genkai noted.

With Murota in tow, the group headed for a crowded park in the city.

“You say your name’s Murota and your territory’s thirty meters.” Yusuke said.

“Yes. Within thirty meters, I can hear what everyone’s thinking very clearly.” Murota confessed.

“Once you hear anyone with very strange thoughts, inform us. But don’t show that you know and don’t have direct eye contact with him.” Genkai advised.

Murota nodded.

Tense minutes passed and Yusuke noted that Murota’s expression changed drastically.

“Murota?” he asked.

“He’s appeared!” Murota shuddered.

“His thoughts are louder than anyone else’s, but it’s more quiet. It’s the first time I’ve heard such a voice.” Murota confessed shakily.

“Which one? Don’t point with your finger, just tell me the direction and appearance.” Yusuke advised.

“On the right. His hair is combed back and he’s wearing a black shirt.” Murota stammered.

Just then, Sensui turned to face Yusuke’s group.

All of a sudden, Murota was shot by something on the forehead.

“This is only a greeting Urameshi Yusuke.” Sensui remarked.

“So, he’s the mastermind.” Yusuke noted.

*********************************************************** ***********************************************

SailorStar9: And ends another short chapter. Read and review.