Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Children of Darkness ❯ Homesick ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Children of Darkness
 
Running. She was always running from something, be it in body or mind. She could feel her heart pounding, feel her breath coming in sharp gasps, but Sanyo couldn't stop herself from running from that thing. The invisible power behind visions and dreams alike that held her captive.
 
She turned around a bend in the forest, careful not to trip over a fallen log. Of course, this forest, a fake reproduction in their training room, was nothing compared to the woods Sanyo had known as a child. The familiar scents of childhood came to her mind as her pace slowed, coming to a halt before a grand oak tree.
 
She remembered so much!
 
“I can see the sea from here!” Sanyo giggled, swinging her skinny legs, gazing to the west at the ocean. She glanced down, grinning to the rest of her friends, all of them readying themselves to climb up the mighty tree that Sanyo had already braved.
 
“Should you really be doing this Sanyo?” One of the boys called up to her as he paused in climbing, squinting against the sunlight.
 
Sanyo glared back at the boy, letting out a huff of air. “Of course I can!” She cried back in an indignant tone. “I can do whatever I like to!” Though this wasn't completely true, she remembered, swinging her legs again as she gripped the branch, as not to fall down the hundred or so feet it was to the ground.
 
“A Lady does not climb trees or play with serving children Sanyo!” Her mother had complained to her just that morning when news came of the latest escapades she had joined in. She couldn't help it if the farmer whose pig they chased had a bad sense of humor! It wasn't her fault, really, it wasn't! But her mother wouldn't listen.
 
“You're almost thirteen, Sanyo,” She had said, hands placed upon her hips, lips pursed as she stared at her daughter. “When will you stop behaving like a child?”
 
Is this the last time I shall see the sea of Orion? Sanyo asked herself in her mind, shaking her head as a few wispy lengths of blond hair flew into her eyes. These shores couldn't hold her back from destiny.
 
“You leave in a fortnight,” Her mother had explained a week ago. One week left of watching her land before she had to go. Empress Opale only chose the very best, yet somehow, Sanyo was unsure of herself. How could she be one of the best? She had barely received any training as a Sailor Senshi.
 
“All in good time…” Was the only answer she had gotten from her Mother.
 
Sanyo gazed up at the tree, feeling something well up inside of her. She wanted to see her home again, wishing that instead of Earth, they would travel to the distant star Orion. It wasn't so far away, actually, if she thought about it. Maybe she could speak with Opale, ask if they could stop at her homeland.
 
Nodding her head, she turned, deciding then and there to head back where she could shut the machine off. Instead of running though, she walked, allowing herself to sink into the forests that reminded her so much of home. A slow smile crossed her lips for a moment as she paused again, hearing the distant call of a nightingale from the branches.
 
As she paused, her ears picked another sound up among the trees. Instantly, her senses were on high alert, her body stiffening, as she stood, frozen, straining her ears. The cracking of branches in the woods, someone breathing, something that shouldn't have been there!
 
Be calm Sanyo! She chided, taking in a small but deep breath, exhaling in almost complete silence. Slowly, she focused her energy, closing her eyes as she felt a familiar glow growing around her hand. The sign of Orion glowed upon her forehead, moving her bangs for a moment before the glowing hand shot forth, sending an arrow of light towards the sound.
 
Orion Arrow Obliterate!” She cried, feeling her power surge in her system as she sent a second. There was sound as someone fell over, giving a loud cry.
 
“Ouch! Stop! Don't send anymore, I'm not an enemy!” Her eyes narrowed as she speaker came into view, finally, staggering from the forest he had been attacked in. It was a man, though he was still young, barely looking over twenty years maybe. He wore the uniform of the Knights that trained under Star Knight Sirius, though she had never seen him before and, considering few came to train here, it led her to believe that the male was new. His green eyes were narrowed lightly and his hair, a bright orange, was shaggy and falling into his eyes. Sanyo saw, with a small note of satisfaction, that she had managed to scratch his arm, showing her aim was true enough.
 
Hands on her hips, she glared at the male. “Then,” She asked, letting out a breath of air, “why are you here when I'm using the room? Sneaking up on people isn't polite, I hope you realize!”
 
“I wasn't sneaking!” He stood taller than she by at least four inches, though Sanyo knew Kari was nearly as tall as this young Knight. “I came because the Empress was looking for you. I volunteered.”
 
Sanyo blinked. “Why? And who exactly are you?”
 
“Risou, Star Knight Orion, as your service,” He said, bowing his head lightly to the girl. “Star Knight Sirius only started training me before we went to sleep…I never did get to formally meet you, but I know who you are.” He gave a grin. “Lady Sanyo, cousin to our dear Queen Yukina of Orion.”
 
“You're from Orion?” Sanyo asked softly, her teeth snagging her lower lip for a moment. Orion. Home. Fate must have been playing a cruel joke on her to do this. “How is home faring?” She asked curiously, tilting her head to the side for a moment.
 
Risou pondered this, a hand placed upon his chain for a time as he thought. “The Queen is getting married, or at least, she was engaged when I was there last. I'm sure the wedding was a grand occasion. But life has been the same there, as it always is.”
 
“Oh…” Sanyo trailed off, finding herself lost in memory for a moment before she shook herself free from its grips. “You said Empress Opale wanted to see me?” She asked, finding the reason why Risou was standing there again.
 
He laughed, scratching the back of his head a moment in a sheepish manner. “Yes, right. Come, I'll take you to her, if you like.”
 
She shook her head lightly. “It's fine, I can find my way to her chambers myself, promise. But you may walk with me out of the forest, if you'd like.” She added, to which, Risou nodded lightly, following as Sanyo made the trek back to the start.
 
They walked in silence, listening as the forest moved around them. Sanyo hugged her arms close to herself, frowning lightly as she came around a bend, finding where she had started. “Session over!” She cried into the forest. There was a beeping sound as the woods vanished, leaving the two in a room that was far from the lush forest they had been in. It was a plain room, made completely from metal that gleamed silver in the harsh light. A control room sat many feet above, a window over-looking the room.
 
“Thank you for coming to get me,” Sanyo said, bowing at the waist to the young Knight. “I hope to see you again, Risou,” With a small grin, she hurried off, bounding in the direction towards Opale's chambers.
 
The heavy doors that led into the chambers were slightly ajar as Sanyo came towards them. Yet she paused, a hand that started to reach out halting as she heard voices in the room. She knew eavesdropping was rude and something Opale would never like, but her ears picked up on something strange.
 
“-Sirius is in good health, I am sure, but we have not been able to reach him yet to find out for sure. Much can change in a thousand years and the girl has kept him in tight control.”
 
There was a pause.
 
“Does he know you are following him?” It was Opale who spoke, her voice cool and echoing against the walls, regardless of how soft she tried to keep her tone.
 
“No. I don't believe he remembers anything at all. It is as if he is a new person. He is not the Star Knight we knew before.”
 
“And she is his lover…”
 
Sanyo couldn't stand it any longer. She had been with Star these past few days, listening to the girl worry over Sirius, wondering if he was all right and safe. Star, who loved him more than anything. The door flew open as Sanyo came into view, showing the startled expressions from both Jin and Opale in her face.
 
“He's alive and hasn't come home?” She demanded, arms crossed over her chest. “Empress, what is going on here?”
 
Opale was silent for a moment before she stood. Her feet stepped down from the dais where her throne sat, coming to rest before her youngest Senshi. There was something written across her features that made Sanyo rethink her words. Before she could speak, however, Opale was speaking to her.
 
“Sanyo, there is much you do not know.”
 
What she learned, shocked the Orion Lady.