Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Children of Darkness ❯ Mirror, Mirror ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Children of Darkness
 
 
“I'm going to catch you Kari!” Star shrieked above the whizzing of everyday noise. The palace was bathed in artificial light, sheltered by a dome that gave the weather that the girls wanted. Star paused a moment, feeling the sunlight hit her features, a dazzling smile lighting her lips.
 
Not far from her younger twin, Kari crouched behind one of the pillars of the palace. Her slim body was pressed against the cold marble, crimson colored eyes keeping a close eye on her twin. A slight smile twitched at the corners of her mouth, though it was rare to see the elder Princess smiling these days.
 
“She's too solemn!” A noble lady had complained in market, not knowing the girl the spoke of was there. “How can she lead us when the time comes when she has a heart of stone?”
 
She was right, Kari knew it; her heart was cold, unmoved by anything this world could offer. Perchance that was the reason the invitation had been extended from Opale, the Empress from the Darkness. Her heart would remain unchanged, if she could become loyal to the woman. There would be no falter in her attacks, no change in her heart. The same cold nature would remain.
 
“Found you!” Kari blinked as she let out a small laugh, allowing her sister to tackle her. The girls tumbled to the ground in fits of laughter. No, her heart wasn't completely cold. It beat for one thing only: her sister.
 
I will protect you Star. I promise, I won't let you go the road alone…
 
***
 
“To a new beginning!” Glasses were raised as laughter escaped the lips of the girls in the hall. Seated together at the long table, the goblets of red wine clinked against one another as they toasted to their new beginning. Taking a long sip, Kari set her glass down again as she gazed at her empty plate, sighing with contentment. Had times ever been peaceful like this? The answer to that question was no.
 
Leaning back in the chair, her hands folded behind cherry colored locks, her eyes closed as she sighed again. One whole week to be alive again, free from the darkness of sleep. Kari had gone back to the gardens within the domed grounds, caring for the wildflowers she so tenderly loved. Yes, she loved plants, big deal. Everyone had their own loves other than being a Senshi.
 
Sanyo loved the fairytales that were kept in the grand library, loosing herself in that world. Star would spend hours in space, floating among the stars. Komeeko…Komeeko…she stayed with the mirrors, in the room few went to. Kari felt a shudder go down her spine, recalling the room that held pain and uncertainty to the woman.
 
The room scared almost anyone who went in. Mirrors from all around hung along the walls, some older than anyone would be able to guess while others still had a gleam of newness in them. They held such visions in them, though only the skilled could see them. Komeeko spent hours within the walls, staring into the depths of the reflections. No one seemed to know what she saw in those mirrors.
 
From her seat, Komeeko met the crimson gaze of the Dionysus Princess. There was tension in the air between them as two sets of eyes narrowed. There was a burst of laughter from across the table, breaking the staring contest as Kari turned her attentions to Sanyo, trying to get a silver spoon to stick to her nose to no avail.
 
“I thought I knew the trick but I don't!” The youngest member of their group pouted as she tried to press the spoon to her nose, frowning, cross-eyed as she stared at it.
 
“It feels good to be relaxing again!” Star sighed, stretching her arms above her head as she felt her own muscles relaxing in the comfy chairs around the table. It felt so good to be home once again. Yes, this place was more like home to all of them than their old homes had been.
 
“I have to agree!” Sanyo cried above the murmurs of agreement with the Dionysus Princess. “Plus I'm glad we're all together.”
 
“You're starting to sound like Sailor Moon,” Komeeko interrupted, rolling her eyes. Silence followed her words as all eyes glanced up to the girl before turning their gazes away.
 
“Maybe you should keep your comments to yourself,” Kari snapped back, her gaze boring into Komeeko. “We have reason to celebrate, so let us be thankful. I know I am.”
 
“We should be on our guard, not celebrating!” With that said, Komeeko rose, knocking her chair over, causing it to crash loudly to the floor. The sound still echoing through the chambers, the girl didn't move to grab it, instead storming out of the room, slamming the grand doors behind her.
 
Sanyo gazed at Kari with her wide, blue eyes before she dropped her gaze. “I hope she's okay,” She mumbled, swishing the contents of her wine glass around a few times before finishing it off.
 
“She'll be fine,” Star said, leaning her elbows onto the table, lacing her fingers together as her chin rested upon her palms. “She's just throwing a hissy fit, that's all.”
 
***
 
The mirrors, they knew how she felt. The voices surrounded her as Komeeko closed the door to her room, letting out an angry breath. Kari, she disliked the Dionysus Princess. She was stronger than she looked, her spirit burned inside. Komeeko could see that every time she looked at the girl.
 
A phantom hand caressed her cheek as she closed her eyes. You are tense. I sense anger from you, My Lady. Komeeko sighed lightly, opening her eyes as she looked into the nearest mirror to her.
 
Kagami. The face stared back at her, the woman perfection in the eyes of Komeeko. She reached out, her fingers caressing the glass mirror before her. It is nothing. Just the eldest Dionysus Princess causing trouble.
 
Don't fret over her, my pet. Kagami was whispering into her mind, the phantom hand pressing on the small of Komeeko's back, pressing her to take a seat. She did so, lowering herself into the plush cushions of the chair. This was her sanctuary, a place she came often, seeking her own solace before others could bother her.
 
It was here she had found Kagami.
 
You were meant for better things, She would whisper into Komeeko's ear, showing her a life of wealth and prosperity. Just a little longer and then we may move on the plan. The plan, you remember, don't you?
 
Yes, I remember. Her fingers clenched on the arms of the chair as she gazed at the mirrors around her. I won't be idle long. Soon they will bow to me. I shall become Empress in place of Opale, who has a weak mind. She is going to her own doom. The Milky Way will be her demise.
 
***
 
“Kari, are you all right?” Star stood beside her sister in the gardens, watching as Kari gazed down at the plants. The hour was late, as it always seemed to be, lost in the realms of space.
 
“I have the oddest feeling,” Kari whispered, lifting her gaze to the stars. “I feel fear…”
 
***
 
Hey folks! Sorry it took so long to update- I had a lot on my plate. With summer here, hopefully I can get some more in and update more often. I have to mention that Naoko Takeuchi owns Sailor Moon and I do not. The ideas are simply things mi amiga and I came up with. So no stealing, as usual.
 
Stay tuned for more next chapter!