Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Decided Bride ❯ The One Thing She Knew ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 30 ~ The One Thing She Knew

They were all silent as they watched the messenger leave the throne room. No one dared move. There was an air of anger, fear, and loathing around them.

Selenity stood after a few moments, her knees shaking. "I suggest," she said, "that we start preparing right away."

Everyone nodded. Mars looked eager at the prospect of war. Everyone else was rather solemn though. Selenity walked down the steps from her throne to the floor. She looked like she had aged five years since she had first seen the messenger, and Serenity's heart went out to her mother.

Venus spoke. "What about the wedding?" she asked.

Everyone looked at Selenity expectantly. She sighed. "I'm afraid we're not going to have time to plan an elaborate wedding," her voice was tired and agitated. She looked to Endymion and Serenity, who were, she noted, standing fairly close together. A smile wanted to tug at the corners of her lips, but suppressed the urge. She was glad that they now knew who they were, and that they did not hate each other for it. All of them had been happy when they had called Endymion into Selenity's room the previous night and he had informed them that Serenity knew all about him.

"It's up to you," she finally said to Serenity and Darien. "We can wait until later, or you can have a small, quick ceremony today. We can't spare any more time than that I'm afraid, and from tomorrow on we have to start planning."

The two looked at each other. Then Darien looked back to the Queen. "May we talk about this for a few moment?" he asked as humbly as he could. Selenity nodded her head and gestured to one of the doors that led to an adjoining room. Darien bowed to her. "We'll be back within ten minutes your Majesty." He said. He took Serenity's arm and led her to the doors Selenity had pointed to.

Selenity turned to Paris and Helen. "Does that sound fair?" she asked. Both of them nodded. They could see plainly that their son was happy, and whatever he chose would be fine with them. A quick wedding would put a lot of old problems to rest, but waiting was also fine.

It was going to be difficult to wage war on Beryl but she had given them no choice. Well, she had technically. She had demanded that the Imperium silver Crystal be handed to her as well as the power of all the planets. Otherwise war was imminent. To the people still in the room as well as Serenity and Endymion, that counted as no choice at all. It was going to be war.

Jupiter took charge of the conversation. "How quickly can we assemble the armies?" he asked.

Mercury looked to his daughter who seemed to be doing quick calculations in her head. "We could have everyone ready within about five days," Ami said finally.

Rei turned to her father. "We should be able to handle it in five days as well," she said. Mars nodded his head in agreement.

Venus and Mina stared at each other before Venus finally spoke. "I think that it would take us about a week." Selenity nodded her head.

"We would need three days," Paris said.

Selenity looked at him, and then swept her gaze over all present. "I will send messengers today to Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, and Saturn," she said, "that way they can start preparing as soon as possible and send representatives over so that we can plan what we will do." Everyone nodded, grave looks on their faces.


------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------


Darien closed the door behind them. The room was a sort of mini library. Serenity knew it was a room her mother used for private conversations with delegates.

Darien turned and walked over to her. He clasped her hands in his, and looked deep into her eyes. She wanted more than anything for him to say he wanted a quick wedding. However, she had little hope for that, since they had only known each other for two weeks. She didn't think he would be up to it yet. His mind was probably already strategizing the battle field.

"Darien, if this is too soon for you, I don't mind waiting," she said, not wanting to scare him off.

He smiled at her tenderly, and planted a soft kiss on her lips. "Usagi, this war could rage on for a very long time, possibly years. I don't want to wait that long," he said. "If I could, I would have married you last night when you forgave me." Serenity stared at him and shocked surprise as he suddenly fell to his knees in front of her, his eyes shimmering. "Usagi….Serenity…..would you give me the honour of becoming my wife, today? I know it probably seems sudden to you, but I promise that I will make you happy, and you won't ever regret saying yes." His voice cracked a little as he spoke, and Serenity felt her heart melt.

She felt tears brimming in her eyes as she flung her arms around his neck, allowing herself to fall to her knees. "You don't even need to ask," she whispered into his ear, her voice thick with passion and love.

He turned his head as did she, and he kissed her again, trying to show her all the love she inspired in him, all the dreams that she made come true, the hope that she created of things to come. They pulled apart and Darien helped her stand up. "I want to be able to protect you. You're not going to be safe until Beryl is dead." Serenity nodded at his comment reluctantly. She would need to start serious training the next day with the Senshi. "I will die for you," he added, meaning every word.

She shook her head. "No you won't," she said sternly, and he laughed softly. "I won't allow the opportunity to arise!"

Darien started to laugh even more, making Serenity give him a glare. "I don't see what's so funny!" she said.

He smiled at her. "You are. You're so cute when you get defensive," he said with The Smirk on his face. She opened her mouth to give a sharp comment back, but found herself at a loss of words. He chuckled as he drew her to him for one last kiss, then, together, hand in hand, they walked back out to the waiting parents and Senshi.


----------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------


True to her word, Selenity managed to organize a small ceremony for the two that very day. It didn't occur until the evening. Since she also had to send out messengers to the planets and arrange a few other things with regards to Beryl.

The whole court was there, as well as many of the people Serenity knew from town, so it wasn't really a small wedding. It was small in comparison to what it should have been.

As the two stood in front of each other, saying their vows, for a few moments everyone forgot about the upcoming bloodshed and pain. The whole room seemed to fill with the love Serenity and Endymion had for each other. Queen Selenity watched as her daughter gave her life to the man she loved, and she shed a tear in the memory of her own lost love. She was happy though that Serenity had grown up.

As the two were pronounced man and wife, there was a feeling of peace and contentment, that everything was going to be right. Time seemed to pause as they kissed, and the whole universe stood still.

Motoki came up to the two during the dance which followed the ceremony. "Well would you look at the two of you," he said, a huge grin on his face.

Serenity smiled sweetly at him. "So tell me Motoki, how long did you know who Darien really was without telling me?"

Motoki sensed the danger. "Uhhh, not long. Not long at all!"

She smirked at him. "Sure sure. I'll bet you knew all along, and you loved watching me suffer."

Motoki brought his hands up defensively. "Usagi, please, I swear to you, I didn't find out until the night of the party at the tavern!" Serenity laughed at his panic. He lowered his arms and they all laughed.

Serenity stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Motoki's neck in a big hug. "Thank you for everything Motoki," she murmured.

He gave her a tight squeeze. "No problem Usagi. I'll always be there when you need me."

She smiled at him as she pulled away. "I know. I thank you for that. Also thank you for making me do my lessons," she said with a smirk as she looked form Motoki to Darien. Both of the men blushed and laughed.


---------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------


All festivities were over. The two lovers stood on the balcony of the room they had been given in place of a honeymoon, since there was not time for that. Darien stood behind Serenity, his arms wrapped around her waist, his chin resting on her shoulder. She leaned back a little, enjoying the feeling of his warmth. His breath tickled her neck. She gazed up at the earth, and was taken back to the night two weeks ago when she had first made her decision.

She sighed as she gazed out at the pond, her cheek resting gently in her palm. She was leaning on the bridge in the middle of the garden in the middle of nowhere. Or so, at least, it seemed to her. Her eyes shifted involuntarily up to look at earth. It shone like a jewel, hanging there for everyone to see. In only two weeks time they would arrive…... She knew she had to take responsibility. She knew her mother had been more than fair to her in allowing her to choose her own husband. She knew she now had to make that choice in a way that would repay that fairness. She knew she would choose the Earthling. She knew.........nothing anymore.

She wiped her face and straitened her back. There was no time for tears and self pity. She was the Princess of the Moon, and had to keep her people in mind first and foremost, the way the Senshi kept her in their mind first and foremost. She walked back to the palace, ten years older than she had first entered the garden. That was one thing she knew.


Serenity turned around in Darien embrace and he brought his head up, although his arms refused to leave her. Their eyes met, and he leaned down to kiss his new wife. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and he leaned over and picked her up. As he carried her to the bed, Serenity caught one last glance of the earth.

She would never regret what she had decided on that night, which now seemed so long ago. That was really the one thing she knew.


*****
~Disclaimer~
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon or any of the characters. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.


That's it. The end.