Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytale Princess ❯ Standing Up At Last ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don’t own Sailor Moon. Would I be writing fanfics if I did?

----------------------

When Serena entered her room she noticed that it wasn’t even lunchtime yet. However before the princess could even consider doing anything, Annabelle appeared in her room.

“My lady Serenity, Luna sent me up with the plans for the banquet. All she needs is your approval and she will organise everything else,” she said, handing Serena a stack of papers.

Serena begrudgingly took the stack and tried reading the first page. None of it was sinking in though.

“Look Annabelle,” Serena said, ignoring the girl’s surprised look that she had used her name, “I can’t read these right now.”

“But the banquet is tomorrow night, your highness. These preparations have to be done,” Annabelle protested.

“I know and I will do them, but right now I just don’t feel well,” Serena said. Reluctantly, Annabelle agreed and left the room.

Alone once again, Serena dropped the papers on her vanity table and slumped down on her bed. She breathed a sigh of relief. She knew that her mother would probably be disappointed in her for telling Endymion and the others about her past, but she didn’t care. She was just glad she didn’t have to lie to them any more.

Rolling over onto her stomach, Serena let her thoughts wander to the dark haired prince.

He really was an enigma. The first time they were alone, he had pushed her away. The next, he kissed her. If anyone could make her feel confused it was him.

She thought back to the kiss they had shared in the very room she was now lying in. Why couldn’t she forget about that? Sure it had been her first but that shouldn’t cause it to bother her that much. Maybe it was just since her soul mark was of Earth that she was like this. So then why did her knees go weak and all rational thought flee her body when he touched his lips to hers?

Serena suddenly bolted upright. No it couldn’t be. Could it? She couldn’t be falling for him. She knew nothing about him. But then why had he kissed her? It must have been because he thought he was kissing a princess. Yes that was it. But Serena wondered why that revelation suddenly had her feeling disappointed.

She knew about those stories women in the village told. About how the woman would go weak at the knees and be willing to sacrifice everything for the man they loved.

Letting this thought sink in, Serena groaned and threw herself back into her bed. She was right. She was falling for him!

--------------------

Meanwhile, Endymion returned to his own chambers to find Giana sitting there, waiting for him.

“Hello Giana,” he said as he passed her. He came here to do something and if he didn’t do it soon, he feared he never would. She looked at him with critical eyes, as if looking for some minute trace of something, before shaking her head and returning his greeting.

“Endymion,” she said with a nod of her head. When he stopped right before her, Giana put down the book she had been reading and met his gaze.

“We need to talk,” he said. Giana knew what was coming next. Those were the words. The ones every male used when trying to end something. Despite her better instincts to yell at him or hit him, she just sat there and listened.

“I don’t think this is going to work,” he began. “It’s just that I need to stop getting distracted from my duties. I will be expected to take over the kingdom soon and I need all the preparation I can get.

Ah yes the infamous ‘it’s not you, it’s me’ argument.

“I just need to focus on other things right now. Although I did enjoy our time I’m sorry Giana but this ends now,” Endymion said. He was a little unnerved by the fact she was just sitting there. He had expected yelling and cursing from her.

Giana nodded as he finished talking. It was that little princess. She knew it. That voice had been right and she had just been too cocky to see it. She stole him from right under her own nose. That little wench was going to pay!

Partly relieved, and partly scared that she took it so well, Endymion then left the room once again. Now that that liability was taken care of, he needed to go see a certain little princess.

When he disappeared from her sight, Giana let it all out. She buried her face into the bed and screamed her lungs out. She halted abruptly when that little voice whispered in her mind.

The fireplace,’ not in her right mind, Giana did as the voice instructed her and approached the fireplace.

The statue,’ placing a hand on the statue carved into its frame, Giana was only partly surprised when it slid back to reveal stairs going down behind the fireplace.

Hesitantly, Giana walked down the steps. The walls were barely one meter apart. Cobwebs were scattered along the stones as the woman went lower. Eventually she found herself in a musty smelling room. There was a table in the middle of the room whose surface appeared to be made of crystal.

As she approached the table within the crystal began swirling red smoke. The figure of a beautiful black haired woman became visible.

“Who are you?” Giana voiced as she took in the appearance of the woman. She had dark blue, bordering on black, eyes, what appeared to be floor length black hair and pasty white skin.

“I am one who has been betrayed as you have,” she replied in a majestic sounding voice, “And left to rot, locked within this crystal.”

“What happened?” the question was barely audible but it slipped from Giana’s lips nonetheless.

“The queen stole my life,” the woman spat, “I was to be the next ruler of the Silver Millennium but my sister wanted it for herself. She had me kidnapped and presumed dead so my fiancee would have no choice but to marry her.”

Giana stifled the gasp that threatened to escape.

“That’s horrible!” she exclaimed.

“But you are suffering the same, are you not?” the woman spoke coyly. Giana slowly nodded. “Tell me, what would you be willing to do to get him back?”

“Anything,” Giana replied without hesitation.

"Tonight, come back down here and bring with you some of the princess’s blood. When I am free I will return to you everything you have lost," the raven-haired woman spoke.

"Tonight?" Giana asked.

"Yes. We will need some time to set everything up if I am to attack during the banquet," she explained.

"To shatter my prison, all you have to do is spill a single drop of the princess’s blood upon it. Now go. The last thing you want is to be found down here before I am free," she said hastily. Giana nodded, gave her word to return and hurried back up the stairs.

Once the fireplace had returned to normal, a smile graced her lips. Endymion would be hers yet.

--------------------

A knock on her door quickly ceased Serena’s grumbling fest. She slid from the softness of her bed to find the reason for her mood standing at her door.

“Ugh, what do you want Endymion?” She said stepping back and allowing him in.

“I wanted to talk to you,” he replied simply taking in her appearance.

Now that he knew about her past, she appeared in a whole different light. Her witty and fairly funny responses weren’t the product of hours in a library and in the presence of royalty; it was simply her and how she had grown up. Coming to her as naturally as breathing.

Somehow that fact made his heart warm. The thought that his little princess wasn’t manufactured to be like she was made him smile. He could see it now. When they were married she would always be difficult and never agree with him just for the sake of it. She would fight him every step of the way and he was looking forward to it.

‘Whoa, you find out she came from the village and suddenly you are envisioning yourself being married to her? Dude you have got it bad,’ his conscience taunted.

He shook his head and answered back.

‘Of course not. I just meant that whoever does marry her will be in for one hell of a ride,’ he thought back.

‘Right…’ his head drawled. Endymion just ignored it. That was when he noticed Serena looking at him funnily.

“A penny for your thoughts?” she laughed. Before he could answer, she had turned back to her table. Just looking at the pile of papers gave her a headache.

“I came to talk to you about before,” he started.

“If you’re here to tell me how you knew I couldn’t be a real princess, or about how I never will be, just write me a letter and I’ll read it later,” Serena interrupted, shuffling the papers.

Placing a hand over hers, Endymion stepped up behind her.

“Do you really think that low of me? That I’d really say something like that?” he asked quietly.

“It’s never stopped you before,” Serena replied just as softly. Grasping her hand even tighter, Endymion placed a light kiss against her exposed neck.

“What are you doing?” Serena whispered.

“Showing you the truth,” Endymion murmured against her skin. Serena shivered but asked her question nonetheless.

“About what?” Serena asked, shaking off his hand and turning around in his arms.

“How I feel,” Endymion replied looking her in the eyes.

“Why?” Serena asked. The prince just grabbed her chin to emphasise his point.

“Because whether you’re a princess or a milk maid, you’re beautiful. And I never should have let myself think otherwise,” he answered truthfully.

Leaning down to kiss her again, Serena shifted her head to the side so his lips connected with her cheek instead.

“What-“ when he looked back in her eyes, he noticed the tears glistening just within them.

“But I don’t act like a princess,” Serena said looking away.

“I don’t care,” Endymion said hotly. Serena looked up at him in shock.

‘Oh now you’ve done it,’ his head said. Looking once again into her crystal blue eyes, Endymion knew what he had to do.

“I don’t care if you don’t act like a princess. I don’t care if you were raised in the village or if you grew up milking cows. All I know is that even if you were the lowest servant in the universe, I would love you regardless,” he said, pulling her into a hug. A tear slipped down Serena’s cheek as he continued.

“You were right. No-one should have to be someone they’re not. But that’s exactly what these people want you to do. They want you to be the perfect lady but I know that’s not who you are. That’s not the girl you’ve proved yourself to be. So I want you to stop listening to what others say and just be the girl that tipped water on me because I ignored her,” he said, ending with a smile. He felt Serena nod against his chest as she wrapped her arms around him.

“Do you really mean that?” she said quietly.

“With all my heart. You shouldn’t have to be the princess they expect, any more than I should have to be with Giana,” he answered.

Pulling back to look at him, Serena felt her heart skip.

“What?”

“I decided that I should stop lying to myself. I couldn’t figure out why Nephrite being close to you made my stomach churn or why when you smiled I felt like my heart was going to beat out of its chest, but now I know. I think I’m falling in love with you,” he finished in a whisper.

Serena felt a few more tears slip free before she dived back into his arms.

“I take it this means you like me too?” he said with a smile. Serena just nodded against his chest. Feeling lighter than air, he pulled back to look down at his tear stained princess.

“Now come on. You’ve got a banquet to plan,” he said. Serena wiped her eyes and nodded. Picking up the now scattered papers, Serena was about to start reading when Endymion stopped her.

“I told you to stop listening to others,” he said taking them from her. “Plan this banquet your way. Show them that you are Serena first and foremost and the time has come to try something new.”

Nodding slowly, Serena pulled out a piece of paper and a quill. She quickly scribbled down some stuff, silently thanking her father for teaching her how to read and write.

‘Your greatest weapon is knowledge, Serena. Knowledge can mean the difference between victory and defeat,’ she remembered him telling her. Finishing quickly, she grabbed Endymion’s hand and pulled him from the room.

--------------------

They ended up in the ballroom, where Serena summoned the musicians that were going to play at the banquet. Giving them the paper, and helping them along, they quickly began playing a very lively tune. Especially compared to the dull one they were playing last time she had seen them.

“What are you doing?” Endymion asked, watching as she came back over to him.

“Teaching you how to dance,” she said, taking his hand. Endymion raised an eyebrow.

“I can dance just fine thank you,” he replied. A playful smirk tugged on her lips as she replied.

“Not like I do,” she said. She placed his hand on her waist and took his other in her own. Looking at the pair, anyone would assume they were about to perform a beautiful waltz.

“Just go with it,” she told him before they started. Within a few moments, Endymion and Serena were dancing around the room with smiles on their faces. Instead of a complicated waltz, Serena was teaching Endymion how the people in the village danced. Completely carefree and fun.

When they both stopped, they found the generals watching them, each with their own smile. When Serena rushed over and grabbed Jadeite’s hand, his smile faltered.

“Your turn,” she said pulling him onto the floor. Endymion stepped in beside Malachite as they watched the princess teach Jadeite how to dance.

They laughed when Jadeite tripped and Serena had to help him up.

“She really is something,” Nephrite commented. Nodding in agreement, Endymion replied.

“That she is,” he said almost dreamily. None of the other men missed the whimsical look on their prince’s face. Laughing as they came back over, Jadeite was rubbing his rear from his fall. And Serena was trying her hardest not to laugh.

After showing the rest of the men how to dance, Serena watched as they each paired of to practice a little more. Nephrite and Jadeite were clumsily making their way around as Malachite and Zoisite looked rigid as stone.

Clapping along with the music, Serena was startled when Endymion wrapped his arms around her waist.

“I must say this is a sight I never thought I’d see,” he said with a chuckle.

Before Serena could reply, Yaten entered the room. Throwing a curious glance at the now blushing men, he addressed the princess.

“Princess Serenity, there is a commoner at the gates claiming to be your father,” he said, earning a gasp from the blonde haired princess. “Do you wish for us to send him away?”

“No,” Serena cried. “Let him in. I wish to speak with him.” Nodding, Yaten left to retrieve the man.

Everyone remained silent as Yaten re-entered the ballroom with an old looking man in tow. His white hair was similar to Yaten’s, despite the mud marring its strands, and his silver eyes were worn with age. He had a small hunch in his back and his shirt and pants were dirty and tattered.

“Artemis!” Serena cried, launching herself from Endymion’s arms. The old man looked up just as Serena collided with him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and he placed his around her waist.

With a bow, Yaten left the group and the ballroom. Looking over his shoulder, Serena noticed a little girl with bright pink hair, hiding behind his legs.

“I’ve missed you so much papa” she said, pulling back.

“I’ve missed you too, Sere,” he said smiling. Releasing his daughter, Artemis turned to the little girl. Ushering her forward, she bowed hastily before diving back behind him.

“And who might you be?” Serena asked, bending down to the girl’s height. When she didn’t answer, Artemis supplied it for her.

“Her name is Rini,” he said. Looking back at he girl, Serena nodded.

“Well Rini, my name’s Serena,” she said with a smile.

“I know. Uncle Arty told me about you,” she replied shyly. Raising an eyebrow, Serena looked at Artemis as she replied.

“Uncle Arty, huh?” she said. He just shrugged as Rini nodded quickly.

“Well Rini, would you like to meet some friends of mine?” Serena asked. Nodding shyly, Rini allowed the princess to pick her up and turn towards her friends.

“Artemis, Rini, I’d like you to meet Prince Endymion of Earth,” she said gesturing to the raven haired man. He bowed respectfully as he kissed Rini’s hand. She just giggled.

“And his generals Jadeite,” the blonde man bowed dramatically, earning a smile from the girl,

“Nephrite,” trying to outdo Jadeite, Nephrite owed even more spectacularly that the blonde man. The whole time Rini, and Serena, were trying not to laugh.

“Zoisite,” the blonde general just bowed quickly,

“And Malachite,” following Zoisite’s example he just bent quickly and before straightening up.

“It’s a pleasure,” Artemis said, bowing respectfully before the men. Rini nodded as Serena smiled.

“Lady Serenity,” someone called from the doorway. Serena turned to find Luna about to have a heart attack.

“Why are there commoners in the palace?!” she almost yelled, taking in the sight of Rini and Artemis. “It simply is not done. I will have them sent away immediately.”

“No you won’t,” Serena said strongly. Luna looked a little shocked before speaking.

“But the rules say that commoners are not allowed in the palace, your highness,” she replied haughtily.

“To hell with the rules,” Serena said, readjusting Rini on her hip, “These people are here because I want them to be. Do you have a problem with that Lady Luna?”

Ruefully shaking her head Luna replied.

“No,” she said.

“Good,” Serena said, “And I will no longer need your help with the banquet.”

“Wh-what?” the dark haired lady stuttered.

Throwing a glance back at Endymion, who just smiled as encouragement, Serena spoke.

“Because I have decided to plan this banquet my way. My mother left it to me so I will plan it how I see fit,” she said. Luna looked upset for a moment before bowing and leaving the room.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Serena brought her attention to the girl now poking her shoulder.

“Yes Rini?” she asked. Blushing lightly, Rini looked up at Serena shyly.

“Could we come to the banquet?” she asked. Letting a big smile break out over her face, Serena nodded.

“I think that would be a brilliant idea Rini,” she said. “What about you Artemis?”

“Absolutely,” he said. Rini squealed loudly before hugging Serena’s neck for all she was worth.