Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytale Princess ❯ Revelations and Explanations ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don’t own Sailor Moon. Would I be writing fanfics if I did?

------------------------------

Serenity squeezed her eyes shut but they reopened at the sound of clanging steel. Standing before her, taking the weight of Endymion's attack was the Uranian princess, Hamara. Her own sword was in her hand.

"I knew there was something off about you. For someone who supposedly loved Serenity, you seemed awfully distant around her," Hamara grunted, forcing Endymion back and taking the pressure off her sword. Her stance was intimidating as she blocked Serena and the wounded woman from Endymion's form. She was, Serena noted, no longer in her dress, but her Sailor uniform.

"Well aren’t you just the smart little cookie," he taunted, sneering at the interruption of his plan. His eyes were dancing, but with purple fire that just screamed pure hatred. He then leapt at Hamara, trying to catch her off guard, but a shout halted him.

"Mars Firebird Strike!" The flaming bird produced from Raye's call flew past Endymion, forcing him back another few steps. The now transformed Sailor Scout of Mars and Jupiter stepped up beside Hamara as Amy and Mina knelt beside Serena.

"Oh god. Poor Setsuna," Mina said, taking in the older woman’s injuries. She wasn’t going to survive. That much the Venusuvian knew for sure.

"Mother!" Trista cried, running to be beside her fallen mother. Setsuna's eye cracked open as she looked at her daughter.

"Trista... you... have to.... take... my place," Setsuna spoke, the words being broken up by a blood filled cough. She then handed her staff, which Serena noted, almost looked like a big key, over to Trista. The scout uniform she had been wearing faded away and she was left in a simple black dress.

Tears coursed down Trista’s cheeks as her mother drew her final breath. A small wand appeared in front of the woman and, with a shaky breath; she wasted no time in claiming it. It was her turn and duty to take her mothers place as the guardian of time and space, Sailor Pluto.

“Wait. Where are Heather and Michelle?” Amy asked suddenly, noticing the last two members of their group were indeed missing. A chilling laugh broke through the gardens, instantly putting all of the women on alert.

In a shimmer of dark cloud, a woman appeared, floating behind Endymion, whose sword was still drawn. He took a few steps back as Giana appeared beside him. Raye shivered as the aura surrounding this woman finally reached her. It was evil. Pure evil.

"They're right here," the dark haired woman cooed and, with a flick of her wrist, Michelle and Heather materialized. They appeared to be bound by some kind of invisible chains, and were dangling, their feet meters from the ground.

"Hamara!" Michelle called, struggling against her bonds but to no avail. Heather too tried but she was rendered just as useless as Michelle. Hamara felt her hands ball into fists at the sight.

"Let them go!" she practically snarled. The dark haired woman let out another laugh.

"Why? I’m going to enjoy ripping every last breath from their bodies," she said sinisterly. "Just like I did with her." Trista felt rage boil up in her. So this was the one who had murdered her mother. Had reduced her to the bloody and broken form lying still in Serenity's lap.

"You," she ground out. "Why did you kill my mother?"

"Because she tried to protect Selena," the dark haired woman replied, venom coating the name as she spoke it. A gasp from Serenity drew her attention and she turned a malicious smile on the blonde princess. "That's right. Your mother’s dead. She died, begging for her life like the pathetic human she was." She gloated at the tears springing to her targets eyes. "And you will suffer the same fate. Along with that bitch within you."

"Dream on, hag!" Lita yelled. She then readied her attack.

"Jupiter Thunder," Mina also began her attack.

"Venus Crescent Beam,"

"Crash!"

"Smash!"

A collage of thunder shot from Lita's tiara, with the yellow laser of Mina's beam shooting right down the middle of it. Nehelenia didn’t even bat an eyelash as she raised her hand and extinguished the attack.

"Pathetic. Just like your Princess," she spat. "So what are you going to do Serenity? You can’t fight me, and no-one would care if I destroyed you right now."

"That’s a lie!" Amy yelled. Nehelenia carried on despite the interruption.

"Even the man you love has abandoned you," she said, gesturing to Endymion who was poised at her side, his arm wrapped securely around Giana. Serena met his eyes briefly before looking back at Nehelenia. "There's nothing you can do. I am a goddess amongst mortals and no-one can stop me from getting what I want."

"You're no goddess, Nehelenia," a new voice rang out. All eyes turned to see Artemis emerge from the shadows.

"You," Nehelenia hissed. "That annoying little priest. I should’ve killed you when I had the chance." Artemis came to stand before Hamara, Lita and Raye.

"Get her out of here," he said to them, never taking his gaze from Nehelenia. "Get Serenity out of here," he repeated when they didn’t move. Hamara looked at Raye and Lita before nodding.

"Do it. Trista and I will hold them off," she said. Trista appeared by Hamara as Lita and Raye moved back to Serena's side. With a nod to Mina and Amy, the four women formed a circle around their princess.

"Venus Power!" With that Mina began to glow a shimmering orange.

"Mars Power!" Raye also began glowing in a similar fashion to Mina except hers was a fiery red.

"NO!" Nehelenia screamed, sending a bolt of energy at the five girls. She couldn’t let her escape. Not when she was so close. Trista was quick to intervene and, with a twirl of her staff, diverted the attack.

"Mercury Power!" Amy was next, encased in an icy blue.

"Jupiter Power!" Last but not least, Lita hummed an earthy green.

Serena covered her ears as Nehelenia roared once again.

"Scout Power!" The four women said in unison, and, with a brilliant flash of light, they all disappeared. The last thing Serena heard before her ears were filled with rushing air was Trista yelling her own transformation phrase.

"Pluto Power!"

------------------------------

When the five girls reappeared, they were in complete darkness. Not a single light could be seen.

"Where the hell are we?" Lita said gruffly, trying to stay still until they had some light.

"Hang on," Raye said, forming a fireball in her palm. The light it gave off, allowed the women to see their surroundings for the first time.

They appeared to be inside some kind of building. The floor had symbols scratched on it, while faded pictures lined the walls. It looked like it hadnt been used in years.

"What is this place?" Mina breathed, taking in the sight. She'd never seen anything like this. None of the buildings on the Moon had ever looked this unused.

"It's my hiding place," Serena said, glancing around. The girls looked at her oddly before she explained. "When I was younger Artemis told me that if I ever felt unsafe, this is where I should go. It’s located a little outside the village and as far as I know, we're the only ones who know about it. He also said it would protect me, and it was my special place. You know? The normal things you tell a child to make them feel special." She ended with a smile, remembering the first time he had brought her here.

Lita, Mina and Amy were listening intently, but Raye was staring at one of the walls, deep in thought.

“What exactly did he tell you?” she asked, tilting her backwards slightly, her eyes never leaving the wall.

“He said it would protect me. I was just a kid. Why?” Serena replied.

“Because I think he meant it literally,” Raye said turning to look at the girls. “I’ve been trying to figure out why I recognize these symbols. But I think I know now. They’re part of an ofuda.”

At the girls blank looks she explained.

“A priest, or priestess, takes a piece of paper, wood or some sort of talisman and writes symbols on it. Depending on the ofuda’s use, the symbols can vary. These are used to cast a protection spell, ensuring that the person whose name is written into the spell is protected from those who wish them harm.”

“They look fresh so someone has been recasting this spell for a while now. I can see your name along with another I can’t make out. I think Artemis knew what these were, and has been making sure you always had somewhere to go,” she finished. Serena looked shocked. She’d never really paid attention to the symbols before.

"But how could he know all that?" Lita asked.

"Didnt that Nehelenia woman call Artemis a priest?" Mina recalled, thinking back. Amy nodded.

"That would explain how he knew about the ofuda, and why he kept recasting it," Raye replied with a nod.

"I never thought about anything like that. I just thought Artemis was being nice and trying to make me feel better," Serena said, looking around the room.

"I also think this place isnt just some building. Ofuda's usually only work inside a temple or shrine, so I'm willing to bet this is a run down shrine. It looks like it hasnt been used in years though," Raye added, moving around the room. "Also, this one," she said, gesturing to another set of symbols, "Can render something of the casters desire invisible. That might be why none of us has ever seen this place. Even from space."

She found some old candles, still sitting in rusted old holders, and lit them with her flame. They burned as bright as the day they had been made, revealing the rest of their sanctuary to the girls.

There was a large, yet obviously old wooden table resting to the side of the room. Above it was a scroll, pinned to the wall and decorated with faded old words. There were columns, which provided the building its structure, and the floor was once again covered in beautiful pictures. They showed many different figures, none of which any of the girls recognized. There was also a fairly large fireplace, which again Raye recognised as a ceremonial fire pit. She too lit that, rendering more light into the room.

Serena was about to speak again when a small shifting noise caught her attention. Being quick to react, the girls placed themselves between their princess and the source.

"Who's there?" Raye called. Another shifting noise was heard before a familiar head of pink hair popped out from behind one of the columns.

"Rini?" Serena exclaimed, moving forward to embrace the younger girl. She was pale as a sheet and shaking slightly. Her skin was also freezing. Ripping a good portion of fabric from the skirt of her dress, Serena wrapped the young girl in it before hugging her again.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Uncle Arty told me to wait here for you. He said to give you this," she replied, holding out a letter of some kind. Serena looked at her curiously before taking the paper.

Mina moved forward and held Rini as Serena unfolded the letter. She read aloud, allowing the girls to hear what was written.

Dearest Serena,

To begin, I apologise for hiding everything I am about to tell you, but it was necessary to protect not only yourself, but also the entire universe. You see, while you may think yourself just a princess now, you are so much more. You are the only one who can stop that witch, Nehelenia. She is a powerful opponent yes, but the being hidden within your body is the greatest thing she fears. When you were small, nothing more than a baby, and your mother was attacked, someone thought to be nothing more than legend leant her powers to help you.

Her name is Celeste and, as Prince Endymion told me, she has made her presence known to you. And your scouts. This being is more than just a simple manifestation of your powers, which I’m sure the young Mercurian princess, Amy, was theorising it to be. She's actually a goddess. And Nehelenia's sister.

Serena glanced up at Amy with a questioning gaze and the young blue haired woman nodded.

"I guess I was wrong," she admitted. Serena nodded and turned her gaze back to reading.

I've known about her residence inside of you since the day I found you in the forests. That too wasn’t what it appeared. As you have probably guessed, I am no ordinary man. I was Celeste's head advisor and priest up until Nehelenia destroyed this shrine. That was about a thousand years ago. This too seems impossible but I’ve never known the reason Celeste granted me immortality. It however, only applies concerning my age. A sword could kill me just as it would a normal man.

I believe she knew I would be needed sometime in the future. And she was right. The night before your attack, I received a dream. I witnessed what happened to you in those forests. When the men stole you from your mother they had every intention of killing you. That was when Celeste descended to protect you. I wasn’t fast enough so she was forced to kill those men to keep you safe. I knew she would stay within your body once the danger had passed.

You see, Nehelenia and Celeste were once normal humans just like us. In fact, they were your ancestors Serena. Celeste and Nehelenia were the daughters of King Apollo and Queen Selenity, the creators of the Silver Millennium. Celeste, or Selene as she was actually named, was their youngest, meaning Nehelenia was the heir. She however, began drabbling in the dark forces. Celeste caught her sister enchanting many of the townspeople and brought it to her parent’s attention. Nehelenia was exiled and Celeste was renamed the heir. She became Queen and married the man Nehelenia had been betrothed to.

Nehelenia of course was still upset over this. She claimed Celeste had betrayed her and set her up. When nobody would believe her, she tried killing her sister. King Titus, Celeste's husband, died defending his wife and unborn child. Celeste then had no choice. She had to seal Nehelenia away. As much bad blood as there was between them, you couldnt expect Celeste to kill her own sister.

So, using the power of the Silver Imperium Crystal, Celeste locked Nehelenia and her powers inside a crystal tablet that was hidden deep within the castle. Now, shortly before her death, Celeste was granted the status of a goddess and when her death finally occurred, she ascended to heaven. Her name was also changed from Selene to Celeste. That was when I became her priest, instead of advisor. I realise this all sounds rather phenomenal, but it is simply the truth.

Unfortunately, not all of Nehelenia's powers could be locked away. The witch still had the ability to influence those outside her crystal. So, she went about destroying anything that made any such reference to her sister. That is why many people on the Moon do not even know who Celeste is. She also had many people who served in her shrine killed.

That was all because she knew that they would do everything in their power to stop her being released. The last of them died when Nehelenia had her followers destroy this shrine. The last one in existence. Over time, people have forgotten about Nehelenia and her presence, thus placing the key to her escape in even graver danger. For we weren’t just protecting the crystal, but they key as well.

Since Celeste used the Silver Crystal while pregnant, some remnants of the spell seeped into her unborn child. Therefore unknowingly creating a key to Nehelenia's prison. You are that key Serena. It was passed down through the blood of the royal daughters, right down the line, to you. I couldnt understand why Nehelenia waited so long and chose to attack you out of them all though.

Obviously, Nehelenia is now free. Someone set her free using your blood. I'm sorry that I didnt protect you. And that you now have to suffer in order to destroy her.

You need to allow Celeste control of your body. Her powers surpass your own right now and Nehelenia still fears them. What you need to do is locate the Silver Crystal. It was always the key to Selene's powers on Earth, and a booster for them as the goddess Celeste. If you can find it, you have found your way to destroy Nehelenia for good.

She will try anything to stop you from finding the crystal but do not believe anything you see. Nehelenia controls people by using their fears against them. That girl with Prince Endymion, Lady Giana, was manipulated in such a way. By giving her back Endymion, she sealed the girls loyalty, and made her your enemy. Be careful Serena. I don't want to have you die to rectify the past’s mistakes.

I meant what I said about needing you to take care of Rini. I don’t expect to leave this fight alive, so I need you to survive otherwise she will be left all alone.

Please don't let me down.

All my love,

Artemis.

All the girls sat in shock as they allowed the information to sink in. Rini looked at them curiously as they stayed silent.

"I know it's hard to believe, but everything he says is true," a voice spoke, drawing the group’s attention. There, standing illuminated by the fire behind her was the woman each of the girls recognised as Celeste.

"Celeste," Serena said, watching the woman as she nodded.

"Artemis has been my most loyal friend since before I became Queen. He helped me seal away my sister," she said, the last part with a sad tone.

"How are you here? Like this I mean," Amy asked, taking in the woman's semi-transparent form.

"I am using my powers. I'm not able to cast a solid form because I technically don’t have a body to base it from," the woman replied. "Nehelenia will not go down without a fight. She will use everything each of you love against you. Those men escorting Prince Endymion will be her next target, since each of you have formed a bond with one of them."

Mina and Lita looked aghast at this.

"We have to help them then. We can’t just leave them to her," Lita cried, worry for Nephrite staining her tone. Raye nodded in agreement but remained silent.

"Your best chance at saving them is to defeat my sister! She is the root of the spells she casts. Eliminate her and you eliminate her spells," Celeste said, silencing the girls. Taking a breath, Celeste spoke again.

“I have something that will give you all the power to protect those you love,” she said. Looking to Serena, Celeste smiled. “Would you allow me control of your body so I can give it to them?”

Serena looked a little hesitant but eventually agreed. Closing her eyes, Celeste disappeared and Serena suddenly pitched forward. Her hair began taking on a familiar blue, while the air around her seemed electrified.

When her head rose once again, her eyes were the expected amber the girls had come to associate with Celeste.

Raising her hands, Celeste chanted a few words and she began to glow. The aura surrounding her was a mixture of blue, green, red and yellow. With a few more words, the light exploded through the shrine and the girls were forced to cover their eyes.

When the light had dulled enough for them to see, they were surprised to see Celeste holding her hands about 30 cm apart and within them, floating four coloured crystals.

“Amelia,” Celeste said, drawing the girl’s attention. “Bring me your wand.” Amy looked hesitant but brought out her transformation wand nonetheless. Celeste lifted the blue crystal to her lips for but a moment before placing it above the Mercurian Princess’s wand.

“Hermes, I beseech you. Descend from the heavens to protect your descendant,” wisps of sparkling blue fire erupted from the symbol in Amy’s wand and engulfed the crystal hovering just above it. It sunk down into the wand, transforming it as it did.

Once the blue light had faded, Amy was no longer left with a wand, but rather a brooch. The symbol for Mercury was glowing proudly in the centre and the ornament was an icy blue, just like Amy’s old wand.

Amy was suddenly lifted off the ground as that glowing light burst out to scale her body. Her uniform then began changing also. When she landed, the girls noted that her uniform had become more detailed. The bows were now lined with blue while the rest of them turned white, and the edges of her skirt were also trimmed with two different shades of blue. Her collar was lined with white, and her brooch was nestled in the middle of her bow. Her hair began glowing a steady blue and suddenly burst out to lengthen. It twisted to wrap itself into a braid that reached the girls waist with ease.

Touching down, Amy could feel great power surging through her. All the girls stood in shock.

"Wow. Talk about a power up Ames," Raye said eventually, approaching the blue haired girl. The others looked her over before Celeste called upon Mina.

"Minara," Mina stepped up just like Amy had before and Celeste repeated the process, this time with the yellow crystal.

"Aphrodite, I beseech you. Descend from the heavens to protect your descendant," Mina's wand repeated what Amy had done and, not too long after, Mina too was being lifted into the air. Her uniform underwent the same transformation as Amy's before her hair also burst free. It stretched down her back until it reached the floor. It then twisted up into a bun, with an elegant braid running free and down her back.

She too touched down and everyone else was standing with their mouths hanging open. Raye was next.

"Ares, I beseech you. Descend from the heavens to protect your descendant," when her transformation was finished, Raye's hair had been pulled back and held up by small little clips. The rest flowed loosely.

"Zeus, I beseech you. Descend from the heavens to protect your descendant," Lita's transformation was similar but her hair was left in its ponytail, only lengthening to reach her knees. For the first time, the girls noticed a small green tiara resting on the crown of her head. Checking each other, they realised each had one. Raye's was red, Mina's was yellow and Amy’s was blue.

"You are the Universal Sailor Scouts," Celeste said, drawing each of the girl’s attention. "And it is your responsibility to protect this universe."

------------------------------

A/N: Well there is chapter 13 finally done. I wasn’t sure where to leave it off so I decided to end it here. It was getting a little long already. Hope you like. Remember to read and review.