Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytale Princess ❯ The Banquet Begins... ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don’t own Sailor Moon. Would I be writing fanfics if I did?

------------------------------

Later, as the sun dipped below the horizon, Serenity stood before her full-length mirror, trying to hide her nervousness. She had yet to change into her dress for fear of what it meant. It meant she had to leave her room. And face all those people in the hall. Who many didn’t even know she existed up until now.

A knock at her door startled the young princess and she hesitantly opened it. Molly stood there with a big smile. She was already dressed in her attire for the night. It was a simple yet elegant dress that was silver in colour. It easily showed that Molly was not of royal blood, but still to be respected.

Serena sighed as she stepped back, allowing the other girl entrance to her chamber.

“I was told to come and fetch you. Everyone’s waiting you know,” she said with a small smile. She had half expected the princess to make a run for it. Balls and banquets were scary. Especially when it was your first.

Serena nodded and the brown haired girl entered. Her dress was still in its package, and lying on her bed. Untying the thin string, Molly handed the dress to Serena and told her to go and change. She did so reluctantly and Molly gasped when she exited the bathroom.

The dress was a pure white strapless style that had flowers and leaves delicately sown into the top and bottom of the bodice. Running down the centre of the bodice was a pair of strings fastened to look like the back of a corset when laced up. The skirt reached the floor; just like any proper ball gown should, and was layer upon layer of mesh like netting over a silk slip. The leaves and flowers were once again present but just on the edging of the first layer. A small, see through cover was over the princess's shoulders and reached to just beside her bust. It sparkled with the small stones sown into the fabric, which was the same mesh from the skirt.

“You look stunning your highness,” Molly managed after a moment. That Taiki certainly knew his stuff. Serena blushed prettily before mumbling a thank you. Molly then sat her down and began fiddling with her princess’s hair.

Finally, Molly had fastened Serena's long hair up into a braid that had then been put into a bun atop the princess's head. Molly scattered various little glittery clips through the hair to add to its shine. She left two strands of hair free to hang down from before Serena's ears. Last but not least was the tiara the Queen had left for Serena to wear. It was a small silver trinket that sat elegantly in the front of the princess’s bun. The diamonds glittered as Serena stood from her chair.

“There. You’re ready,” Molly said finally. Serena released a breath before turning to look at herself in the full-length mirror. She could hardly believe her eyes. Gone was the dirty, scruffy young girl who ran the streets with the other kids. In her place stood a young woman who looked every bit the queen she was to become. Serena felt a tear slip from her eye but Molly hastily wiped it away.

"No, no, no. No crying. You'll ruin your make up," she said with a small smile. Serena laughed and was about to reply when a knock at the door interrupted her. Molly quickly went to open the door while Serena finished looking in the mirror. When she turned, she found Nephrite standing there with his mouth hanging agape. She blushed heavily. He, in fact no one had seen her in anything as royal as she was wearing now so it was expected for them to be a little... shocked.

Serena quietly prayed that Endymion would like it too.

“You look charming your highness,” Nephrite managed, bowing deeply to the young princess. Serena was tempted to giggle but suppressed it in time.

“Why thank you Lord Nephrite,” she replied in a posh tone. A large smile lit up her face as Nephrite offered her his arm, which she gladly accepted. Molly followed the pair silently as they made their way to the ballroom. Pausing outside the doors, Serena took a deep breath and, after some reassuring words from both the general and servant, entered.

She vaguely noted a page announcing her and her escort’s arrival, but the knotting of her stomach when everyone’s eyes turned on her quickly drowned out that fact. She did a quick scan for Endymion but yielded no luck. Maybe he hadn’t arrived yet.

Swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat, Serena stood atop the stairs and began the address she had prepared.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I, Princess Serenity of the Moon Kingdom, welcome you to the Millennium Banquet. I would like to extend an especially warm welcome to the delegates from Earth who are here with us for the very first time. As you all know, this banquet has always been a symbol of peace throughout the Universe, and it is an honour to be hosting it this year. So, please enjoy yourselves and dinner will be served shortly.”

She then, as gracefully as possible, walked down the stairs, re-linking her arm through Nephrite’s.

“Good job,” he whispered. Serena smiled but kept her embarrassment reined in as the reached the bottom of the stairs.

‘Well here goes nothing,’ she thought.

------------------------------

'That’s her,'

'She has to die,'

'The only way you can be with Giana is if she dies,'

Endymion shook his head. That voice had been annoying him since he woke up this morning. Talking of how this Princess Serenity was going to take Giana away from him, and he was the only one who could stop her. She looked harmless enough. Why was she so bad?

"Endymion are you okay?" his escort asked, laying a hand on his arm. He smiled at her lovingly before nodding.

"I'm fine. Just a small headache," he replied. Giana nodded and returned the smile. She was so happy now that Endymion was by her side once again, but something was still nagging at her. Something about that Nehelenia. Despite the fact she had kept her word and returned Endymion, Giana couldn’t help but wonder if there was something else she wanted from it all.

"Here comes the hostess," Giana commented as Serenity and Nephrite made their way over. This was the perfect chance to test if Endymion really remembered her or not.

"Lady Giana, Prince Endymion, I trust you are enjoying yourselves?" Serena asked, standing before the pair. Giana smiled as politely as she could and nodded.

"Its amazing your highness. You really have done a spectacular job tonight," she replied. Mentally she was gagging. Sucking up to the little princess was disgusting.

"Thank you," Serena said, smiling also. Endymion had remained silent as the two women talked but that little voice had returned.

'Ask her to dance,'

'Make her let her guard down,'

Without thinking, Endymion was doing exactly what it was telling him.

"Your highness, would you care to dance?" he asked, presenting his hand. Serena smiled widely before nodding.

"I'd love to, Prince Endymion." She nodded to Nephrite as Endymion led her out onto the dance floor. Giana was a little worried. Did he remember her? It didn’t seem like it. At least not to her. Nephrite smiled as he watched the pair. He couldn’t wait until Endymion popped the question.

'Speaking of which,' he thought. 'I must go find Lita and tell her the good news.' With that he left Giana's side to seek out his princess. She had to know about this.

------------------------------

"So that’s Prince Endymion huh?" Hamara asked, leaning back lightly against the chair she was occupying. Heather and Michelle were standing around her, as were the other scouts. The subjects of their conversation were dancing around the room and amongst the other couples.

"Yeah. He and Serena have gotten pretty close," Mina replied. Lita smirked.

"I'd say they're a little more than close," she commented.

"What do you mean?" Heather asked.

"I was kind of eavesdropping on them in the garden yesterday and I heard him ask her to visit Earth with him," Lita explained a smug smile on her face at Mina's wondering expression.

"Wow," Michelle exclaimed. "He must really like her."

"Yeah," Raye sighed dejectedly, not taking her eyes from the couple.

"What is it Raye?" Trista asked, approaching the group.

"Oh nothing. Just.... thinking," she replied. In truth she was thinking about what Luna had said in the gardens. It was true that Serena cared about the prince, but how solid were his feelings for her? Did could he really care about her that much if he was being unfaithful?

Unknown to Raye, Hamara had also noticed something odd about the couple. For a pair that was supposedly in love like Mina had said, the Prince didn’t look very comfortable with the princess. In fact, he looked almost distant.

"Lita, I have something you might be interested in hearing," Nephrite sang in a high voice, obviously teasing the girls.

"What could you possibly know, that I would be interested in learning?" Lita replied with a bored look.

"Yeah, what is it Nephrite?" Jadeite sneered, coming to stand behind his date. The other guys joined their escorts, and listened in.

"I just happen to know that a CERTAIN prince plans on popping a CERTAIN question to a CERTAIN princess tonight," Nephrite said, placing large emphasis on the certain. The group was silent for a moment before Mina squealed.

"Ah that’s awesome. Serena's going to be soooo happy!" she exclaimed. The rest of the group were laughing at her antics, while silently wishing the prince luck.

------------------------------

Serena smiled as a slow song came on and she leant her head on Endymion's chest. He seemed to tense for a moment before relaxing.

"I missed you yesterday," she whispered. Endymion looked down at the princess in surprise. Why would she miss him? He didn’t even know her that well.

"Yeah," he replied nervously. Serena sighed in contentment.

"I can’t wait to see Earth with you. That legend about the sunset sounded so sweet. I can’t wait to learn about some more of your planets legends," Serena murmured almost inaudibly. Endymion suddenly stepped away from her and she stumbled slightly. Glancing up, she looked at the Prince curiously before he shook his head and walked away, leaving her on the floor alone.

'What was that all about?' she silently wondered.

------------------------------

Endymion swallowed the wine in his glass quickly and once again shook his head. He couldn’t have said that to her. He loved Giana, why would he have told that legend to the princess that was supposedly trying to stop him being happy? He placed the now empty glass back on the table where he had taken it from, and took a seat. Burying his head in his hands, Endymion closed his eyes and that voice returned.

'Now's your chance,'

'Take her outside and get rid of her,'

The eyes that snapped open were no longer a deep midnight blue that could put a starry night to shame. They were a haunting purple that were hardened and cold. Standing from his chair, Endymion began weaving his way through the crowd towards the young Moon Princess, and with another blink, his eyes returned to their blue.

------------------------------

Serena had since found her friends and joined their conversation.

"You did great before Serena," Heather complimented. Serena blushed.

"Thanks. I was so nervous I thought my stomach was going to come out my mouth," she laughed. Raye smiled and patted her on the back.

"You did good meatball head," she said affectionately. Serena smiled genuinely at the Martian princess.

"Thanks Raye," she replied. Someone cleared their throat nearby and the group turned to see Endymion standing there.

"Would you mind if I stole Serenity away for a moment?" he asked politely, laying on the charm. Lita nodded happily and pushed the younger girl towards the prince.

"Just bring her back in one piece," she said. Serena shook her head as Endymion took her hand and led her away. Hamara watched the pair go with narrowed eyes. Something wasn’t right.

------------------------------

The air on the balcony was crisp, but pleasant nonetheless. Serena took a deep breath as she leant against the balcony railing.

"Earth looks so beautiful tonight," she commented, staring up at the said planet. Endymion agreed ad looked up, but, out of the corner of his eye, watched the princess. She did look rather attractive tonight. The dress drew attention to her figure in the best way, and she seemed to be practically glowing from the light from inside. Shaking his head, Endymion refocussed on his task. No matter how attractive she may look, she was his enemy.

"What’s that?" Serena said, brow furrowing as she looked out into the garden. She had seen something move and it didn’t look too good. Endymion scanned the darkness but couldn’t really see anything.

"Probably just a bird or something," he replied. Serena walked to the end of the balcony where a set of stairs led into the garden. She slipped down them with ease and walked towards the movement. Endymion was right behind her.

What they found made the princess gasp. There, lying in the shadows was a woman who looked to be about the Queen's age. Her long black hair was matted with blood but the clothing she wore was the biggest shock. She was a sailor scout! Serena dropped to her knees, raising the woman’s head into her lap and feeling for a pulse.

"She's still alive," she murmured. Taking in the woman's appearance, Serena felt like she was going to be sick. Her forehead was cut open and blood was oozing down the side of her face. The body part of her uniform was sliced open and the skin beneath with it. The once white material had been stained crimson red from the wounds, and the black skirt now also had a crimson tinge. Her boots were still on and she still had a staff clasped within her now bloodstained gloves. Black and blue bruises were scattered over her body and Serena silently wondered how the woman had survived.

A gurgling noise brought Serena from her observations.

"Princ-" the woman choked. "Seren-"

"Shh. You'll aggravate your wounds. Don’t try to speak," Serena soothed. The woman shook her head, despite the pain, and held up her hand.

"Princess Serenity," she tried again. She paused to take a breath. "Must... have... this. Queen... Selena-" she was cut off as more blood clogged her throat, spilling out and onto Serena's gown. She pushed something into Serena's hand before coughing violently.

"Endymion, go get some help," Serena threw over her shoulder, trying to help the woman stop choking by sitting her up a bit more. Glancing back, Serena noticed that Endymion was still standing there. "Go on! She needs help!" The next few moments passed in slow motion for Serena.

Endymion smirking cruelly. Drawing his sword. Purple eyes. Lifting his weapon and plunging it down.

------------------------------