Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You - Sailor Moon ❯ The Awakening ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'll Be There For You
Part 2 - The Awakening
By: Andrea Readwolf
Rated: PG/PG-13
***************************************************************** *******
Chapter 10
"Usagi!"
The four senshi rushed around her. Mercury was first and fell to the ground beside her friend. She grabbed Usagi's hand, feeling desper- ately for a pulse, breathing heavily herself. Relief flooded her face.
Mars was falling beside Usagi across from her. She looked at Mercury questioningly. Mercury raised a small hand up to feel Usagi's forehead. She frowned, reached up to touch an earring, and studied the Usagi's body.
"What's wrong?" Makoto and Minako cried as they stopped short from run- ning into the three girls on the ground. They were leaning over, hands on their knees, panting.
"All her vital signs are normal," Mercury said not bothering to look at them. "For what I can tell, she just-fainted!" She look up at them then. "I won't know more until I run a full diagnostic, and then-"
"Usagi! Usagi?" Mars was slapping Usagi's cheek-lightly. "Usagi, wake up!"
"Fainted?" Venus was saying, sounding confused.
"I've never known Usagi to faint before," Jupiter added, scratching her head.
"Usagi!" Mars shouted now.
"Please, Rei," Usagi said very softly. "Don't yell." She tried to open her eyes, but the bright afternoon sunlight forced them shut again. "Wha-what happened?"
"You fainted," Mars said, sounding extremely disgusted. If one didn't know better, no one would have known this was the same girl who looked sick with worry just a few short seconds ago.
"Fainted?" Usagi asked in disbelief. She braved opening one eye and saw Mercury. She nodded her blue head. "Sailor Moon does *not* faint!" She said pushing up from the ground.
Mars pushed her back down.
"Well, *you* did!"
Before they could get into the argument that was about to start, Mercury spoke up. "Usagi, I would like to run a diagnostic-"
"Is it going to hurt?" Usagi cut her off, sounding worried.
The shy girl shook her head and smiled. "Not a bit."
Usagi stared at her friend and then grudgly agreed.
"Great!" Jupiter shouted. She powered down and then reached a hand down to her and pulled Usagi up. "Common," she said. "Let's get some food into you. That'll help."
"Cookies?"
The three girls groaned and sweat-dropped. They powered down and followed Makoto and Usagi into the temple.
"Hey, Usagi, Makoto!" Chad greeted them, stilling the broom. "What's wrong?"
"Usagi fainted," Minako answered, smiling at him seductively.
Chad shot a nervous look at Rei and then smiled back at Minako. Minako just shook her head and went inside.
"You know," she said closing the door behind her. "He's still madly in love with you."
"I know," Rei said, shooting her a quick glance before turning back to Usagi. "But there's nothing I can do about it."
"You could give him a chance," Minako suggested.
"He can bearly withstand my temper," Rei said, sounding annoyed. "He'd never survive my passion." And that was that. Or at least Rei thought so.
"Still," Minako said, not giving the subject up. "I bet he'd be a lot of fun."
Rei ignored her and helped Usagi onto the bed. "How're you feeling now?" she asked, sitting next to her.
Usagi smiled but it was evident that she wasn't feeling much better by the pallor of her skin.
"Usagi," Ami was saying, "I need to take some blood. Just a little bit!" She rushed when Usagi looked ready to protest. "I promise it won't hurt."
Usagi swallowed, but nodded.
Quick and efficient, Ami was running the test in less then five minutes. But she frowned when the results started reading out. She typed a few keys and bit her lip. "That's strange," she said more to herself then to the girls. She typed some more keys.
"What?" Usagi cried. "What's strange?"
Ami looked at her and frowned. "Hold on," she murmured and typed in another key. She shook her head and then looked up at Usagi. "I think," she said looking back at the screen. She nodded her head, "I think," and then looked back up. "I think you might be pregnant," she finished softly.
********************************************************** **********************************************************
Chapter 11
"PREGNANT?!!!!"
Ami bit her lip and typed in more keys into her computer. "I could be wrong," she suggested weakly.
Weakly because the all knew Ami was never wrong.
Makoto walked in with a tray of milk and cookies. Seeing the dumb- founded faces of her friends she was quick to ask: "What? What hap- pened?"
"Usagi's pregnant," Minako said from the seat she'd slumped into.
Makoto looked from Minako-who looked dazed, to Usagi-who looked stunned, to Rei-who looked shocked, to Ami-who looked confused, and back to Usagi.
"Chibi-usa-Rini?" she asked on a whisper. She set the tray down on the table because it had begun to shake in her hands.
Usagi shook her head and wet her lips. "It's too soon," she whis- pered back. "Not for at least another five-ten years." She swallowed hard.
"Rini never mentioned any brothers or sisters," Minako said looking at the rest of them.
"She was young-" Rei began.
"Not the last time," Ami countered.
They were quiet, puzzling over this new piece of information.
*****
Usagi wrapped herself in closer to Mamoru. Even in his sleep his arms closed around her, holding her closer to him. But this sign of love and affection did nothing to sooth her wild emotions tonight. Her thoughts were on this afternoon.
After leaving the temple and the girls behind, Usagi had headed straight for the drug store. Not that she doubted Ami...she was just hoping that for once, Ami would be wrong. But the tiny pink plus sign supported Ami: 17 year old Usagi Tsukino, year 4, ready to graduate in another five months, was going to have a baby.
She had rushed home and locked herself in the bathroom, reading the directions carefully. The full minute it took for the results to ap- pear was one of the most terrifying moments of her life. When the re- sults said yes, Usagi had walked to her room like a zombie. She sat there for what seemed like hours, thinking, until she remembered agreeing to meet Mamoru for dinner. Luna had asked her what was wrong (Luna and Artimis had not been at practice. Every-now-and-then, they liked to go off on their own.). But Usagi hadn't told her. Her mother had come in asking if she was all right. She told her she was fine.
But the thoughts were making her physically ill.
A baby.
A little Usagi and Mamoru...
And then she began to think about how Serenity had met Endymion a thousand years ago in the Moon Kingdom. She thought about how Sailor Moon had met Tuxedo Mask so many years ago. She thought about herself, Usagi, and Mamoru. About the first time they'd made love. Mamoru had been so sweet and considerate. She thought about the day she might have conceived...nearly three months ago. That would have been about the same time Rei had had her vision.
Then she thought about Rini-her future daughter. It was too soon for the baby to be Rini, she knew. When they had traveled into the future to save Rini's mom, to save her future self, they had also met Mamoru's future self. The King of Earth had looked older that her Mamoru did now...older more then just five or six years... But Rini had never mentioned any brothers or sisters on either of her visits to the past. Surely had there been...
Usagi shook her head. Neither the King of Earth nor Sailor Pluto had mentioned any other children other then Rini.
But then...
Was it possible it was a mistake? Usagi had made the decision to visit Puu the next day before leaving to go to Mamoru's that night. Not that it changed the fact that she was pregnant...but at least talking to the older senshi would make her feel better about the whole thing. And who knew? Maybe Setsuna would say sometime helpful this time.
Mamoru stirred beside her, pulling her away from her thoughts.
"Hello," he said, wiping sleep from his eyes.
Usagi smiled and sat up. "Hello," she answered and leaned over to give him a small kiss.
"Mmm. What a nice treat to wake up too." He yawned and then asked, "What time is it?"
"Almost one."
He pouted, realizing it was time to take her home.
Usagi smiled and kissed him again. He moved to pull her closer but she pulled back, still smiling.
"We still have to be at practice tomorrow," she told him, at which he groaned.
She hopped out of bed and started to get dressed. He just laid there on the bed and watched her, appreciating the view of her lovely body.
"You are so beautiful," he whispered.
She looked into his eyes, saw the undying love shining there for her and debated telling him about the baby. In the end her previous decision-not tonight, held.
Instead she said, "You aren't so bad yourself," and walked out the door.
***************************************************************** **
I'll Be There For You
Part 2 - The Awakening
Chapter 12
Setsuna was in the front of the store helping a customer when Usagi walked in. She looked up at her and gave her a sad smile.
'She knows,' Usagi thought. And then, 'Is this what she meant? Is this the trial that I must face?'
Usagi's mind whirled. 'Is this what Rei's vision prophesized?'
Setsuna walked her customer to the door and then locked the door behind her. She turned around, leaning back against the door, and faced Usagi. "Usagi," she said softly and opened her arms.
Usagi flew into them with no needed incentive. There she cried out all her fears and frustrations on her shoulder. Setsuna held her, petted her back, smoothed her hair, and soothed her spirit. All with- out saying a word. When Usagi's tears had spilled themselves dry, Setsuna moved her to the back room, sat her down at the small table there, and sat a cup of tea in front of her.
Usagi hiccuped, but drank the tea willingly.
Setsuna smiled, looking sympathetic.
"What I am going to do, Puu?" she asked, taking another sip of tea. "What can I do? I'm seventeen-I can't have a baby!"
Setsuna didn't answer, but took a sip of her own tea instead.
"Is this what you meant? Is this the trial that you spoke of? Is this what Rei's vision meant?" Usagi rushed.
Setsuna smiled sadly and shook her head. "This is only the begin- ning, my princess. This is only the beginning."
Usagi digested that for a minute and then, "Is it Rini?"
Setsuna did not answer right away but took another sip of tea. And then, she shook her head.
Usagi bit her lip and then swallow. "Will it-will it survive?" she asked finally.
Setsuna was about to say something when the front door was unlocked and opened. Both women looked towards the front of the store to see who was intruding on their conversation.
"Setsuna?" a young girl's voice called out. A moment later Hotaru appeared. She looked startled to see Usagi there and the youngest senshi immediately asked if there was trouble.
"Nothing to concern yourself with now," Setsuna told her.
The girl looked at her mentor, bit her lip, and then nodded. "Then it has begun," she said and turned to leave.
Usagi shot a look at Setsuna. "What has begun?" she demanded.
Setsuna did not answer but stood up to leave. "I must go," she said.
"I must call Haruka and Michiru." She turned at the door however and
looked Usagi straight in the eye.
"You should tell Mamoru," she said. "He will understand and he will be mad if you don't."
***************************************************************** *
I'll Be There For You
Part 2 - The Awakening
Chapter 13
Usagi sat on the temple steps waiting for the other girls to show up (Usagi early???)
She hadn't fallen asleep last night, and giving up on any sleep, she had finally gotten and dressed and just left her house.
Her mind was moving full speed ahead, giving her little time to really stop and think about what was happening.
She was seventeen years old.
She was pregnant.
She was Sailor Moon.
She was a pregnant Sailor Moon.
She was a Senior in High School.
She was now a pregnant Senior in High School.
She was Mamoru's girlfriend.
She was Mamoru's pregnant girlfriend.
She shook her head, trying to chase these thoughts away.
But more thoughts were there to take their place.
The trials had begun...
But this was just the beginning.
Meaning there were more?
Usagi's stomach rumbled.
Well, at least she knew she wasn't coming down with the flu, she thought, placing a hand over her belly.
A baby. A tiny shiver went through her.
A shiver of excitement. Anticipation.
She smiled.
Yes, she had to tell Mamoru--something. B
ut what?
She could just imagine it now:
A romantic dinner, a dozen red roses on the table...
"Mamoru," she would say smiling seductively.
"What, my love?" he would asked smiling back at her.
"We're going to have a baby!" Or:
They would be laying in bed after a wonderful bout of love making...
She would turn in his arms and look into his eyes and whisper:
"Mamoru, I'm pregnant!"
And then there was his reaction when she told him.
Setsuna had said he would be angry if she did not tell him.
But she didn't mention how he would be when she did tell him.
"He'll understand?" But what did that tell.
He better understand! He was a doctor after all.
Usagi sighed and rolled her shoulders releasing the stress that was steadily building up there.
"Hey, Usagi," Rei said padding outside onto the porch of the temple where Usagi was sitting. "What are you doing here so early?" Rei wiped the sleep from her eyes and yawned as she stretched her sleep- ridden muscles.
"Couldn't sleep," Usagi answered.
Rei looked at her best and closest friend. "Did you tell him yet?" she questioned softly.
Usagi shook her head. "I don't know how," she said weakly.
"You could try, 'Hey Mamoru, guess what? We're having a baby!'" Rei said with a smile.
Usagi smiled. "I'm sure that would go over easy."
"Hey!" she said with a shrugged. "Why not? He's a big boy. He knows what can happen."
Usagi shook her head. "We never thought--" she shook her head and then looked at her best friend. "We never thought to use any protec- tion," she said softly. "I'm actually surprised something didn't happen sooner." She shook her head and placed it on her knees. After another few seconds she looked back at Rei. "What am I going to tell my parents? 'Hey Mom, hey Dad! I'm pregnant but don't worry 'cause Mamoru and I will one day be married and we're going to rule Crystal Tokyo in the future and everything will turn out alright in the end!'"
"Well, it's a start," said another voice. A husky voice. "But I don't think you should include the last."
Rei and Usagi looked up to see the Outers standing at the bottom of the steps (in street clothes). The girls were taken back in sur- prise.
"What are you girls doing here?" Usagi asked with surprise.
Haruka shrugged and said very nonchalantly, "Setsuna said you girls were holding practices. She said we should come."
Rei and Usagi both paled.
If Setsuna had sent the Outers to come practice...then something big was definitely coming.
***************************************************************** ****
Usagi parried off with Ami. She was annoyed, even though Ami was one of her closest friends. All the other scouts were pushing them- selves harder and harder each day. Yet they refused to let her, Usagi, Sailor Moon, work hard, let alone harder.
"Don't be mad, Usagi," Ami told her as she went through a series of kicks. Usagi blocked them easily.
"Why should I be mad?" she asked with false sweetness. "Just because everyone's treating me like a little kid!" She went through her series of kicks while Ami blocked.
"We are not treating you like a child," Ami defended. "We're treating you like your going to have a child." She kicked. "You must be careful not to over stress yourself."
"I am not over-stressing myself!" Usagi cried, sending a rather vicious kick towards Ami's midsection.
Ami went down with a cry--not having blocked the kick soon enough. She looked up at her friend with a shocked expression.
"Ames, I'm--" Usagi began to apologize.
"Sailor Mercury," Pluto said, coming up to them. "Perhaps you should join the others now."
Ami looked up to the leader of the Outer Scouts and nodded. She left without a backwards glance. Setsuna did not watch her leave but studied Usagi instead. If possible, the young woman looked more beautiful then ever before. There was a strong resemblance to the Neo-Queen of Crystal Tokyo whom she would one day become.
"Puu--" she began, and then stopped. She sighed with heavy weari- ness.
Setsuna smiled sadly, a maternal look in her eyes. "You have not told him yet."
Usagi shook her head and then fell to the steps. "I don't know how, Puu," she sighed.
Setsuna nodded, think that over, and then told her, "If you wait much longer you will not have to tell him at all."
Usagi's hands pushed against her stomach. It was hard, and not just from all the stomach crunches she'd been doing...and it had begun to swell. Hardly noticeable, yet. At least not to anyone who wasn't on very familiar terms with her body, like herself...and Mamoru. But Setsuna was right. Mamoru would soon begin to notice the subtle changes brought with pregnancy.
"You should tell him soon," she told her before walking away.
*****
Monday night Usagi went over to Mamoru's for dinner (this was a common occurrence for the couple). She laid back against his chest afterwards, watching on of their favorite movies: The Lion In The Winter. But Usagi wasn't very much into it tonight. Mamoru's arms were wrapped around her, his hands clasped beneath her breasts. Her own hands played over his, and then she took them up and squeezed them--more to gain courage than to get his attention.
But she got that, too.
"Mamoru, we need to talk," she said softly.
She felt him stiffen behind her and then he relaxed.
"What about?" he asked, kissing the nape of her neck, a sign of affection, of encouragement, of trust.
She was quiet for several seconds--worst possible scenarios played out in her mind, and then, placing his hands flat over her womb, she whispered, "I'm pregnant."
Mamoru was very quiet. Shell-shocked would have been the better saying. He closed his eyes and pulled her body back, more closely to his, wrapping his arms around her tight...almost afraid to let her go. And he let the emotions come.
They raged through his mind, through his body, through his heart, though he remained silent, calm, cool, and connected Mamoru. Aloof Mamoru. No sweat Mamoru. You-can't-hurt-me Mamoru. On the outside. Inside he was a wreck. Anger, fear...pain, sorrow...loss, hope...and overwhelming all, was the incredibly overwhelming love he felt for the girl he held in his arms. Close at its heels was the thrill of excitement.
He felt a little bad about that, but...he had no memories of his mother or father. Not even from the Earth Kingdom. None. He never regained the memory of his childhood. It was a fact that had always hunted him. And now...
And now Usagi was giving him the one thing he wanted most: A family.
He moved her around in his arms so her cradled her. He looked into her beautiful blue eyes and saw the fear they could not hide. Then he felt worse.
She was still so very young...what if she didn't want the baby? Mamoru's heart gave a sick little lurch.
Usagi bit her lip and tried not to cry. What was he thinking? Was he angry? Was he happy? Sitting as she was, with him behind her, she had no way of telling. But then he moved her around in his arms and she saw the love shining in his face. Her fear melted away and he smiled at her.
"Thank you," he whispered against her lips before kissing her. He kissed all her fears aside, all his fears aside, and filled the empty spaces with undying love...for her, and now their child.
***************************************************************** *
Usagi stayed with Mamoru the entire night. In the morning he went with her to practice. The girls were all sitting out on the temple steps, waiting for her, when they walked up. The conversations drop- ped dead when the girls noticed the two.
"I told your mom you were already asleep when she called last night," Rei said, giving Usagi a 'look.' The other girls all shared smiles and knowing looks.
"Thank you, Rei," Mamoru answered, drawing Rei's attention to him- self. "We appreciate your help."
The girls all shot looks between Mamoru and Usagi. Their future Queen was shining, radiant with Inner Light and love. Of course, their future King wasn't looking bad at all himself! They smiled and laughed and ran forward to congratulate and embrace the couple.
"So, when's the wedding?" Haruka asked, the first one to step back, and folded her arms under her chest.
All the girls pulled back now, circling the couple, in anticipation. Mamoru's face filled with color--annoyance, not embarrassment, and he looked at Usagi. The girls, following his direct stare, all looked at Usagi, too.
"There's not," she said with a determined smile. The girls gasped. "At least not now," she amended.
"But--" seven girls were crying.
"Don't you *want* to get married?"
"Why not?"
"Mamoru, didn't you--"
Mamoru held his peace, and again, it was Usagi who answered.
"The decision was mine," she said loud enough to be heard over all the talking girls. "I'm not ready to get married yet."
"But Usagi--"
"Surely--"
"No," she said with such finality that everyone's mouths shut tight. "I will not get married just because I'm pregnant." She looked at each and every one of them. "I'm not ready to get married yet," she repeated. "That doesn't mean that it's never going to happen. It just mean it's not going to happen in the next five months." She smiled than. "Mamoru understands this and he supports my decision."
The girls all shot Mamoru a look that stated that they clearly thought him nuts. He smiled too.
"We won't be staying for practice today," he said then.
"We have to try and go explain this all to my parents," Usagi said, looking a little ill at ease. "My father's going to flip!"
Behind her, Mamoru did a major sweat-drop. The girls hid their amusement and excitement well until the couple had left. But the second they were out of the temple gates, the courtyard burst to the seems with eager chatter and trickling laughter. All save Setsuna, who smiled and nodded, but who's eyes never lost their hint of sadness that followed the two young lovers.
****************************************************************< /div>
Usagi and Mamoru were more than just a little bit nervous as they drove to Usagi's house. For the first time he could remember, Mamoru actually drove up into her driveway and parked the car there. When they got out of the car he stopped to look back at it, sitting there. And he wondered why they never confronted her parents earlier about their relationship.
Usagi walked right into the house without waiting for him.
"Mom!" she called at the top of her lungs.
"In here, bunny," came the happy reply, followed by, "Why aren't you at school?"
Ikuko's face fell when Mamoru walked into the room. "Chiba-san," she said nodding her head to the younger man.
"Tsukino-san," he replied, trying to smile, and finding it hard. "Call me Mamoru. All my friends do."
"Mom, sit down," Usagi said pushing her mom towards a chair. "Mamoru and I have something really important to tell you."
Usagi stepped back to stand next to Mamoru and took a deep breath.
"I wasn't at Rei's last night," she said looking her mother straight in the eye. She paused. "I was at Mamoru's."
Ikuko was quiet. She nodded her head and tears glistened in her eyes.
"There's more," Usagi said, trying not to loss courage in the face of her mother's tears. She reached down and grabbed Mamoru's hand. He gave it a squeeze of encouragement.
"I'm pregnant."
"I know," Ikuko whispered through her tears.
Usagi and Mamoru were both surprised and seeing this the older woman smiled and gave a sad little laugh. "I live in this house, Usagi," she said, looking at the walls around her before looking back at her daughter. "I clean this house every day." She paused. "Have you never noticed that the rubbish is always removed from the house everyday?" She shook her had. "You should be more careful of what you through away."
"But that was--"
Ikuko nodded. "I guess I was in denial. I didn't want to believe it." She gave another pitiful laugh.
"Does Daddy--"
Ikuko laughed out right at that. "Oh, gods no!" She smiled. "He doesn't even know you two are seeing one another. As far as he is concerned, he's" she nodded towards Mamoru, "Still seeing Rei."
"But that was centuries ago!"
She smiled. "I know. I know everything that goes on within this family," she said eyeing her daughter. "Everything," she repeated.
Usagi's eyes went wide with that implication. Her mother nodded.
"I'll let you know it has not always been easy covering for you either," she said shaking her head with a smile. And then the smile fell. "It was worse waiting to make sure you came home safe every night." She closed her eyes. "I used to have terrible nightmares of you dying or being seriously hurt if you weren't bed by the time I fell asleep."
She opened her eyes and stared at her daughter, tears streaming openly down her face.
"Mama--," Usagi cried, falling to her knees at her mother's feet and laying her head on her mother's lap. Ikuko smiled and smoothed her daughter's hair. "Oh, my beautiful Bunny," she said, and then placed a kiss on top of her head.
Mamoru hung back, embarrassed to be witness to such a...loving, family moment. Ikuko looked up at him now, standing in the doorway, almost afraid to come in.
"And you, Mamoru," she said to him now. "Thank you for keeping her safe."
Mamoru did color with embarrassment then. "It--it was an honor," he said, looking into Usagi's eyes.
**********************************
It had been hard telling her mother. But Usagi dreaded telling her father. Finding out that her mother knew the truth about her life helped a lot, she thought. Though she wished she'd known her mother knew. She might have done a few things differently. Yes, she definitely would have done some things differently.
Ikuko called her husband at work and told him to come home. At first Kenji put up an argument, but when Ikuko insisted, he finally gave in. The thirty-five minutes it took him to leave work and come home were tense filled moments in the Tsukino residence.
Mamoru was the biggest wreck: he asked if all the brooms were locked away; he asked if there were any shotguns in the house; he nearly wore the rug to the ground with all his pacing. Usagi and Ikuko could not smile at this, though. They too were worried about how Ken would take the news that his only daughter, still in high school, was pregnant and by a twenty-three year old man.
Usagi asked Mamoru if he wanted to leave, but he insisted on staying. She hugged him then, and Ikuno, carrying a tray of tea into the living room, smiled. It was obvious the two loved each other very much. This made her happy.
Mamoru and Ikuko both looked up when the front door opened (Usagi had gone to the bathroom).
"Kuko, whose car's in the--YOU!" Ken hissed when he saw Mamoru. "What's going on here?"
Ikuko was up and smiling as best she could. "In here, dear, please, come and sit down." Her voice was falsely pleasant and she tried to usher her husband into the room.
"What are *you* doing here?" he demanded, refusing to be led into the room.
"Mr. Tsukino--" Mamoru began.
"You are not allowed in my house," Ken shouted. "Get out of my house!"
"Papa!" Usagi tried, running into the room and clenching onto his arm. "Please listen!"
"Out of my house!" he repeated.
"Mr. Tsukino, if you would just--"
"Ken, please--"
"Papa, we need to tell you--"
"Out!"
They were silent. All breathing heavily. Ken was seething with rage not one of them understood....considering he didn't know yet about the baby...
"Daddy, please," Usagi pleaded, her blue eyes large, her lips puckered out in a pout.
They could physically tell when he relented and let himself be led into the room.
There was a collective sigh as Ken sat down in a chair across from Mamoru and picked up a cup of tea.
"What was so important that I had to be dragged away from the studio?" he asked, sipping his tea.
They all looked at each other, silent. Finally, Usagi spoke up.
"Daddy," she said, taking a deep breath. "This is Mamoru Chibi." She paused long enough for her father to acknowledge Mamoru. "Mamoru's my boyfriend."
Ken started to say something but Ikuno place a hand on his arm, urging him to just listen.
Usagi swallowed again. "We've been going out for three years now--"
Now Ken *was* getting upset.
"And we love each other very much!" Usagi said before her father could say anything.
"You're too young." He said flatly, no room for discussion, even though he didn't know what the subject was. Usagi seemed to falter, her lip trembling. Mamoru stood up to take her hand and Ken's eyes narrowed. "You're too young to get married."
"We're not asking your permission," Mamoru said then, shocking Ken. "We're here to tell you the facts. I love your daughter very much, and," he looked at Usagi, "I want to make her happy."
"You're *not* getting married," Ken said, standing up.
Usagi's and Mamoru's eyes flew to her father. Ikuko stood up, biting her lip. They had told her that they didn't plan on getting married...but she knew her husband. Knew him well enough to know that in another minute he would be *demanding* that the two get married...or worse.
"We're not getting married," Usagi said hesitantly.
"Not yet, anyway," Mamoru added with a wink to Ikuko.
"Daddy," Usagi squeezed Mamoru's hand for extra support. "I'm going to have a baby."
Mamoru didn't know what he was expecting: more ranting and raving, a lot of yelling or screaming or shouting. A threat of death definitely. What actually happened shocked him more.
Ken Tsukino dropped back into his seat. His face lost all color. No expression crosses his face, save those few tears that escaped his eyes.
"Get out," he said softly without looking at either one of them. "Get out, both of you."
Ikuko gasped with shock. Usagi cried out with pain. Mamoru didn't show any expression what so ever.
"Daddy," Usagi tried.
"Don't call me that," Ken said, not looking at her.
"But--"
"I no longer have a daughter."
********************************************************
Mamoru drove home to his apartment. Usagi didn't say a word. She was silent all the way up the stairs and down the hallway. He was beginning to worry when, inside the door, she turned to him and busted out crying.
"He--he *disowned* me," she cried with disbelief.
He didn't know what to do, what to tell her. So he held her as she cried on his shoulder. He held her, and then he made love to her.
Later he got up the courage to ask her a question that had always bothered him.
"Why does your father hate me so much?"
She looked at him, at a loss for words. And then she shrugged. "I used to think it was because he was overprotective of me. Because he-- he loved me." Tears began to form in her eyes.
He felt bad and tried to make light of the situation. "Do you think he would change his mind if he knew I were a prince?" he asked with a smile.
"Do you think it would change his mind if he knew I was a princess and you my destined husband?" she said flatly.
*****
Usagi didn't eat dinner that night and she went to bed early. The next morning she was up and at the temple at five o'clock.
"Usagi?" a nasal voice called her. "Are you alright?"
Usagi looked up at her long time friend and tried to smile.
"I don't mean to be nosy or anything," Molly said, sitting down next to her under the tree. "And I know we haven't been the greatest of friends since Junior High, but," she paused and mused her lips. "I'm really worried about you, Usagi."
Usagi did smile now.
"Thanks, Moll," she said sighing. "It's good to know some people still care."
"Do you wanna talk about it?" the red headed girl asked.
Usagi thought about it. She really did. 'It would be great to talk about some stuff with people who didn't know my future. Who didn't know what would happen in a couple more years. It would be great--'
"I'm pregnant, Molly," she said before she could think of a reason not to. Everyone was going to find out soon enough anyway.
"Oh!" Molly went white with shock. "I thought maybe--whad are you goin' ta do?"
"The same as I've always done," she said with a sad smile.
"Whadda 'bout your folks?" Molly asked. "Aren't they goin' ta flip?"
Usagi's smile vanished and she bit her lip. "My father's disowned me, Moll," she said softly.
"Oh!" Molly didn't say anything for a full minute. "Well, I'm still here for you, Usagi, if you need anything."
Usagi's eyes filled up with tears. "Thanks, Moll, that means a lot to me." And she gave the girl a great big hug.
*****
Usagi didn't tell the girls about what happened with her folks. They sort of found out the hard way.
Minako was calling Usagi's house to ask if she wanted to go shopping when her father answered.
"Oh, hi, Mr. Tsukino," Minako said. "Is Usagi home?"
There was a moment of silence on the other end and then, "I'm sorry, there's no one who lives here by that name."
"Oh, I'm sorry! I must have gotten the wrong number. Bye!"
Minako checked the number and tried back again. When she got the same reply she began to wonder. She pulled out Mamoru's number to give him a call to ask what's up when Usagi answered.
"Oh, hey, Usagi!" Minako said all happy and bubbly. "I just tried calling your house and a man who I thought was your dad, said you didn't live there!"
"I know," she answered, and said nothing more.
"But--"
"Were you calling to ask something?" Usagi cut her off.
"Oh, yea! Did you want to go to the mall? I hear that new Dillard's store has a great sale going on!"
"Sounds great," Usagi said, not sounding great at all. "You invite the others?"
"Not yet!" Minako said. "We'll be over in fifteen!"
***************************************************************** *********
Setsuna stepped through the portal, her long dark hair flowing be- hind her like a cape. Her sailor skirt waved in the wind of the portal and then stilled as the portal closed behind.
"You are here." The other woman stood next to the Gates of Time, staring into the open doors.
"Yes."
"It has begun." The woman turned to look at her. Brown eyes burned so passionately, they looked red, stared at her.
"Yes."
The woman nodded and looked back through the Gates of Time.
"You must travel to Illusion and seek out he who knows all, the ruler of that domain."
Setsuna nodded and pulled her staff in close to her body.
"He will call upon the powers of Earth to recall her protectors, the four Generals of Earth."
Setsuna remained quiet.
"You must stay and protect the princess no matter what."
"Always."
"Then go and good luck. May the Powers of Pluto guide your way."
Setsuna nodded and walked through another portal.
"May the gods protect you all," the woman said. "I pray you succeed where we have failed."
And with that, Sailor Pluto walked through the Gates of Time.
*****
The tall dark haired woman stepped out of the portal. A strange yet familiar land surrounded her. She walked forward, through the mist. Here she would find him.
"Stop!" a voice cried from the darkness.
She stopped were she stood and stood poised for action, whether it be fight or flight.
"Why do you come through the portal to enter the realm where dreams lay?"
"I seek the one who knows of my world."
"Which world would that be? There's many, y'know."
The woman smiled.
"It is good to see you again, Elios."
A man dressed in long black robes stepped out of the mists.
"You too, Mistress." He eyed her. "Or is it Queen now?"
"No," she answered, pulling her long staff up against her body.
He threw back his coat, revealing the surprisingly bright white tunic underneath, and laughed. "Come now, Warrior Woman," he said with a smile. "You do not think I would harm the girl."
"I would kill you where you stand if I did," she replied, smiling also.
He smiled sadly and nodded his head.
"I come on other matters this day."
"Is it time then?" he asked with all seriousness. She nodded. He seemed to think on that a moment.
"Is the child still alive?"
"It has yet to be born."
He thought more on that. "And they do not know?"
"Not even Setsuna." He frowned at that.
"Are you sure that is wise?"
She shared his worried but told him frankly, "That was not my decision to make."
He nodded. "Very well. I know what I must do." He smiled mischievously. "I'll see you soon!"
"Imp," she called to his departing back.
The portal opened behind her and she walked through it without a glance back. Just as the one portal closed, another opened. A dark haired young woman stepped out.
"Stop!" cried a voice.
The young woman stopped and stood poised for action.
"Why do you pass through the portal into the realm where dreams lay?"
"I seek Elios, ruler of this domain."
A cloaked man stepped out from behind the mists. "Then you have found him," he said.
"Earth's guardians are needed once more," Setsuna said.
The man smiled and replied, "I know."
--------------------------------
/Part 2