Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You - Sailor Moon ❯ The Past Reborn ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'll Be There For You
Part 3 - The Past Reborn
By: Andrea Readwolf
Rated: PG/PG-13
***************************************************************** *******
Chapter 20
 
Eons ago, our Solar System was Empty: A vast void of nothingness. Another System came and crashed into our sun and tiny fragments were spewed out into the emptiness. The sun took pleasure in the tiny pieces of itself. But this pleasure was short lived when no life formed on these pieces. The sun cried out for life, and the planets, upon hearing this cry rejoiced and filled their wombs with life. And the sun and the planets rejoiced in their children.
 
But the galaxy was a violent place. Other Solar Systems were jealous of our sun's children and the life that thrived within her womb. They fought viciously and several of our sun's children were lost. Eventually, our Galaxy got fed up with the warring Solar Systems and let all her children (Solar Systems) have children (Planets). The Solar Systems were pleased and in return, they allowed their children (the Planets) to have children. And the Galaxy beamed with life.
 
The Universe was quick to pass life onto other Galaxies who shared her womb, who continued to birth more and more life (Solar Systems and Planets). Life bred across the Universe.
 
And so the universe was very happy.
 
But Peace is only so longed lived.
 
A sister of our universe seethed with jealousy and hate for the life that thrived in our Universe's womb. She began to seed her own womb with life--but the seed was tainted by her jealousy and hate and her children grew up evil. When she passed by her sister, she was sly and abandoned several of her children into her sister's womb. Our Universe was too busy to notice the children of her sister playing with her own children.
 
And the foreign Solar Systems prospered, moving about our Universe, making their homes where ever they deemed fit. And they in turn abandoned their children among their cousin Solar Systems. And these Planets and Moons flourished.
 
And for a long time no one noticed these foreign children and grandchildren of the Negaverse…
 
And when they did, it was too late…
 
So it came to pass that the small moon that entered Earth's atmosphere was not questioned and when the Silver Millennium began its reign, Nemesis was allied to the Earth and Earth's true moon, Luna, the home of the Serenity and her Silver Millennium.
 
 
Chapter 21
 
She played in the Shadows, watching him… his every move. She studied his body, every gesture he made. She hung on every word he spoke, and dreamed up words that he might speak had he spoken to her. His image invaded her thoughts during the day when the sun shined brightly upon their two worlds. His image seduced her in the dark of night when their sister, the moon, shadowed their worlds with silver light. She was convinced her lust for the beautiful man was true love…and she delusioned herself into believing the young man felt the same way for her.
 
When she heard the rumor of Earth's impending reacceptance into the Silver Millennium she begged her father to petition for acceptance too. When she learned of the four Sailor Senshi's visit to Earth she was quick to visit the Kingdom of Earth. When she discovered the plan to visit the moon, she begged her father to let her go too.
 
And so, she followed her love to the Moon Palace in bliss. And there she hoped to tell him of her feelings. She was sure he would drop everything he was doing and run off to be with her for always.
 
Her delusional fantasy ended all too soon.
 
He had slipped away one night after dinner without her knowledge. In a panic she raced throughout the palace, searching for her lost love. Flying by one of the many windows she happened to glance out and see the gardens. Remembering her love's passion for flowers she dashed out into the Moon Gardens.
 
And froze when she heard the child-like laughter float up on a breeze.
 
"It's beautiful," a girl was saying.
 
She peaked around the bush and saw her love handing a beautiful red rose out to a blond maiden.
 
"It does little to compare to your beauty, Princess," he said on a husky whisper. The princess blushed. "A rose to match the color of my love's cheeks."
 
He handed the girl the rose.
 
She seethed.
 
Her love leaned forward and kissed the other girl
 
She felt her blood boil.
 
"Serenity! Serenity, where are you?" another girl's voice called out.
 
The girl looked up, startled.
 
"I'm in the gardens, Mars!" the pale vision called out.
 
The girl looked over to the man she was with. "You must go now," she said, a hand resting on his chest.
 
"When will I see you again?"
 
The girl thought and then answered, "Tomorrow, at the ball."
 
He smiled and then kissed her hand. "Till then, my only love."
 
She ran away from the two lovers. She ran away from her humiliation. She ran away from her love, and away from her love's love. She ran home to her mother.
 
Pushing the thrown room doors open she was enclosed in the dark room.
 
"Yes, what is it?" the cold woman questioned without looking away from the large crystal ball that floated before her.
 
"Mother-" she said stepping into the room and falling to her knees. "We have been betReid!"
 
Queen Beryl looked up and stared at her daughter, fire lit by the frenzy of revenge clouded her eyes...
 
*
 
Megumi Ono woke up with a start, her eyes wide, her body drenched in sweat. The image of an evil witch hung before her in the dark.
 
"Mother," she whispered. "We have been betReid."
 
And then she fell back into the bed and the blessedness of unconsciousness.
 
 
Chapter 22
 
 
The mist swirled about his form as he approached the center of the Temple of Gaea, deep within the heart of Illusion. There he approached the lone relic within the four walls of mated stone and earth: the Alter of Gaea, the mother of Earth's sacred table. In honor and respect of the Mother, he placed several offerings upon the stone slab, praying over each plate and blessing them.
 
And then he raised his arms to the invisible ceiling above his head. His dark cloak fell free, his naked head tilted back to welcome the Spirit of Life entrance into this domain.
 
"Oh great and wise and loving Mother of Earth, wonderful she that supports the lives of her children upon her breast, it is I, Elios, servant of Earth, guardian of Illusion, the Realm of Dreams, who calls you. Please, answer me!"
 
The air was silent for several seconds…
 
And then a small breeze began to stir the fallen leaves at his feet. The breeze grew stronger until a steady wind circled round and round the altar and Elios. Dark clouds billowed in the sky above his head. Lightening flashed across the black blankets and rain poured down. The huge, fat drops smacked his face with delight. Soon he was drenched.
 
Lightening flashed again, and this time the bolt struck the altar. Fire danced upon the stone slab, hissing indemnufiantly against the falling rain. The fire grew larger, stronger, more defined. And then... became solid.
 
A beautiful woman stood upon the altar. Her long golden brown hair fell down her back in rivers and pooled upon the stone at her feet. Her well-rounded body was encased in a delicate green gauze. Aqua silk clenched her waist. Brilliant blue eyes stared out of a face that was easily understood to be supernatural, although she was the most natural thing upon this world. She looked down at the young man and he immediately fell to one knee.
 
"Mother," he said.
 
"Elios," she replied, nodding her head. "Why have you summoned me to this ancient place?"
 
"I have missed you too," he said, standing up with a mischievous smile.
 
"Imp!" she cried and then she held out a hand. "Help me down from this small plateau you have forced me on."
 
"And how have you been?" he questioned when her feet touched the ground.
 
"Busy." Was her short reply. She looked at him and then smiled. "I have missed you too, my child. I have always favored you above all," she whispered, brushing back a trendil of pale hair.
 
"Above Endymion?"
 
Her hand dropped and a light flickered from her eyes.
 
"My son is dead," she replied. "And none can replace his loss." She walked away from him then, but did not pass through the walls.
 
"He walks once more," Elios said softly. Her saw her body stiffen. After a moment she turned to face him.
 
"Why do you cut at me with such lies?" she questioned, tears choking her voice.
 
"They are not lies," he whispered. "The Prince of Earth walks its trails once more. His love, the Princess Serenity, by his side, along with her guardians."
 
"But surely I would have known--"
 
He smiled. "Mother, would you?"
 
She bit her lip. "So much has happened…" She shook her head. "I would have known," she repeated more forcefully this time.
 
"See for yourself," he said. "He walks the streets of Tokyo even on this day."
 
"Tokyo?" She bit her lip and gave him a hard look…but then she relaxed and closed her eyes. A moment later a cry escaped her lips.
 
"Endymion!" Hands flew to her breast and clenched at her heart. "How could I not have known?"
 
"As you said, you have been quite busy." He hopped up onto the table and sat. "How fares the New World?"
 
But Gaea would hear nothing of it. "How fares he?" she asked, turning her brilliant eyes upon the young man.
 
Elios shrugged. "As well as can be expected," he said. "Without his four guardians to protect him."
 
"Wha--" she turned away and then turned back. "What has happened to his guard? Surely Serenity would not have left my son unprotected when she guards her daughter so well?"
 
Elios shook his head.
 
"It was not Serenity's choice, Mother," he said hopping off the table now. "The witch stole Endymion's protectors before Serenity could help them. They have been poisoned, tainted by evil." He paused, staring at her. "And they have been punished for their failures."
 
The words hung in the air around them. Gaea swallowed hard. She closed her eyes. When she opened them again, he could tell he had gained his request.
 
Gaea raised her arms to the clouded sky. Four unique stones materialized above them. Elios smiled with relief as she lowered her arms, the stones hovering before him.
 
"You have my blessing, Elios," she said staring at him. "Make sure your children do not fail my son again." And with that she vanished with the air, and fire, and rain, and earth that had brought her.
 
"It shall be so," Elios said, tears running down his face unchecked.
 
 
Chapter 23
 
 
He was tall and dark and handsome. Everything she thought she could ever want in a lover.
 
He had the most gorgeous blue eyes she had ever seen.
 
He made her shiver and ache with longing.
 
What would his kiss taste like, she wondered.
 
How would his arms feel as they wrapped around her…
 
What would the weight of his body feel like as it pushed into hers…
 
These were the thoughts that crowed her mind. These and many others.
 
Still, she was determined to find him. Determined to tell him how she felt.
 
Tonight. Surely tonight would be the night all her dreams came true.
 
The garden! The tiny shells cracked under her feet as she ran through the garden.
 
A laugh.
 
Her eyes narrowed and her heart quickened.
 
She looked around the hedge.
 
He was kissing her!
 
BetReid betReid betReid betReid.
 
The word repeated itself in her mind.
 
The cold emptiness of the thrown room spread out before her.
 
The demon.
 
The witch.
 
She sat at the far end of the room.
 
BetReid betReid betReid betReid.
 
She stumbled forward, towards the witch.
 
BetReid betReid betReid betReid.
 
"Mother, we have been betReid!"
 
*
 
Megumi turned over in bed, trying to erase the memories of the nightmare from her mind. It refused to ebb from thought. She had had the nightmare several times before…always the same dream, always in the same detail.
 
She got up out of bed and looked in the mirror. The witch stared back at her. Megumi screamed.
 
"What!"
 
Her roommate, Eri, burst through the door and looked around crazily. "What?" she repeated. "What's wrong?"
 
Megumi looked at her best friend and then back at the mirror. Her own face stared back at her.
 
"I--" she blinked her eyes and then looked back at her friend. "I--I thought I saw a bug," she lied lamely. Eri seemed to buy it though because she muttered and walked out the door.
 
Megumi rubbed her hands over her face and then looked back into the mirror. It was normal. She shook her head and walked into the bathroom to splash some water on her face. She looked up in the mirror to look into her reflection…
 
And looked at the witch.
 
She cut the scream off in her throat. Her teeth cut her lip and she tasted her own blood.
 
"Daughter," the reflection said. "Revenge will be ours."
 
A hand with long black nails reached out of the mirror and grabbed her.
 
Megumi did scream as sharp nails sliced her skin and she was dragged forcibly into the mirror.
 
"What is it this time?" Eri grouched stomping into the room… but the bathroom was empty. "Megumi?"
 
Eri walked across the room and looked into the closet. "Megumi?" She checked under the bed, cautious of the bug that was supposedly in the room.
 
"Megumi, this isn't funny," Eri called angrily. She walked over to the bathroom…and screamed.
 
The tile floor was covered in broken glass… and blood.
 
Chapter 24
 
 
"Zoicite…"
"Jadeite…"
"Nephrite…"
"Kunzite…"
 
He called out the four names, called them out to the night wind to pick up and carry, across the plains, across the waters, across space, across time…
 
Four names to live life once again.
 
Four names to walk the face of Earth once again.
 
Four names to love and serve again.
 
"Hear me and come," he pReid.
 
*
 
It was cold, very cold…and very dark. He wandered, lost, knowing he belonged somewhere…but not knowing where. His drifting spirit wandered across the universe with no direction. Only a hope. A hope that somewhere, somehow, someway, he would find his way back home…back to…
 
"Zoicite…"
 
The voice rang out in his ears. He looked up, staring unseeingly into the empty space.
 
That voice…it was so familiar. That name…it was…
 
'Elios!' he cried out with his mind.
 
His spirit raced through the void of space…racing towards…home.
 
*
 
He was trapped. Locked within his own coffin. How or why he was there escaped his memory…except for lonely words…
 
Betrayal… Failure.
 
They danced through his mind, driving him crazy. He'd long since given up hope of dying, though he pReid for death day and night. There was a crack. The crystal tomb which held him prisoner fractured. Through its imperfections a voice called out to him.
 
"Jadeite…"
 
It flooded his enclosed space and the crystal shattered around him. He was falling. For a moment he panicked… but then he embraced the fall. Anything was better than that crystal coffin. He looked down and saw the wonderful blue and green Earth rushing forward to embrace him.
 
*
 
He floated in limbo, beyond life and death. Beyond reality and sureality. A realm of eternal emptiness created for possessors of weak wills. He studied the stars that surrounded him. They were beautiful. There was something important about those tiny pinpoints of light…but he could not remember what it was.
 
"Nephrite…"
 
Excitement poured through his veins. He knew that voice! He knew that name! He sped through the darkness, eyes fixed steadily upon one certain pinpoint of light.
 
'Elios,' he cried without making a sound. 'I am coming!'
 
*
 
He sat beneath the tall tree and watched her. He wasn't sure why, but he could never pull himself away. He knew he should know her…but he didn't…or couldn't. He knew he had done something wrong; he had hurt her …but he couldn't remember how. He had vowed to stay by her, even though he knew she didn't know of his existence…
 
"Kunzite…"
 
He looked up, searching for the voice. An invisible hand pulled at his spirit…pulled him away from her.
 
'No!' he cried. The girl looked up just before he vanished.
 
*
 
The four stones Gaea had given him rose from the table and began to shine. They began to pulse, like a beating heart. Slowly, they began to spin, faster and faster, growing larger and larger…until the four crystals formed human shapes.
 
Four bodies dropped three meters to the ground and groans rose from the pile.
 
Elios grinned and then began to laugh.
 
"It's good to see you too, Elios."
 
 
Chapter 25
 
The portal opened and the senshi of Time stepped through. The portal closed behind her and she opened her eyes…
 
"You are here," she said, and then she smiled.
 
Setsuna nodded, not smiling.
 
"Then there were no problems," Sailor Pluto said, crossing the space between the two women.
 
Setsuna did smile then. "But you knew that," she said staring at her future self.
 
"True," Sailor Pluto said turning away from her younger self to look within the Time Gate. "And you have acquired all the necessities they will need?"
 
Setsuna nodded.
 
"Then it is time to move on." Pluto turned around swiftly. "Elios shall handle the retrieval of the Earth Generals," she said stepping closer to herself. "You must return to the Moon Kingdom," she said softly.
 
Setsuna frowned and was about to speak when Pluto cut her off.
 
"There you will find Queen Serenity and tell her that the four Moon Generals are needed on Earth," Pluto said. "You will return to your time with the four Moon Generals."
 
Setsuna's frown deepened. "If I take the Generals away from the Moon Kingdom they will not be there to fight in the battle against Beryl," she said, clearly against the idea.
 
"They never were," Pluto stated, turning back to the Time Gate. "They were not with the others when the Kingdom fell."
 
"But then--"
 
The older woman shook her head. "They were never on the moon when the attack came," she said softly and then paused. "And they never will be."
 
The warning hung in the air around them like a sour odor.
 
Setsuna wanted to protest, wanted to suggest that if the generals had been on the moon, then perhaps the moon would not have fallen to the evil queen and their past lives would have ended much differently. But the older scout knew her mind, for it had once been her own and she answered the unspoken words.
 
"If they had remained, they would have died with everyone else," Pluto said sadly. "And no one would have the opportunity to be reborn."
 
She let those words sink in…and they hit their mark.
 
Tears framed the younger woman's eyes. "I understand," she said hoarsely.
 
"No," the older woman replied. "You do not…but you will."
 
A portal opened between the two senshi.
 
"Be careful," warned Sailor Pluto.
 
Setsuna nodded; she could not trust her voice.
 
There were tears in the older woman's eyes as well.
 
"Never forget your duty," the older woman warned. "The princess must be protected…no matter the consequences."
 
Setsuna nodded again, and then she stepped through the portal that would take her a thousand years into the past. The portal that would take her to the heart of the Silver Millennium on the Eve of its destruction.
 
Sailor Pluto stood motionless, sad in her lonely thoughts.
 
"I am sorry for your fate," she whispered after a long moment. "And mine."
 
Another portal opened and she walked through it.
 
 
Chapter 26
 
"What is Illusion…and what is reality?" Nephrite asked eyeing the man who looked much younger than his actual age.
 
Elios smiled at him. "Ah, Nephrite," he said smiling. "Is not Illusion everything that is reality…and more?"
 
"Why are we here?" cut in Jadeite a scowl on his face.
 
Elios pouted. "Jadeite, really! I free you from the crystal hell you found yourself trapped in and this is the thanks you give me?" He snorted.
 
Jadeite flushed red--from anger or embarrassment it was hard to tell.
 
"I think it is a good question," Kunzite said, stepping forward.
 
Elios stuck his lip out in a sulk.
 
"I agree," Zoicite said softly. He looked from side to side, his eyes analyzing the world that surrounded him. "This place looks familiar, but I do not know why." He turned his gaze upon the priest.
 
Elios laughed again. "Ah, Zoicite," he said shaking his head. "Always trying to pick things apart. Trying to find out how things work."
 
"Why are we here?" Kunzite repeated more forcefully.
 
Elios frowned.
 
"How much do you remember?" he asked sharply.
 
The four men looked at each other and shook their heads. They looked back at Elios.
 
"Nothing."
 
Elios sighed loudly. "Very well," he said turning away from them to look out upon his world. "Sit down."
 
"Everybody," he added when Kunzite remained standing. Grudgingly the captain-general sat.
 
Elios went through the whole story. He told them of how they had been specially picked as children to protect their world's son, Prince Endymion. He told them of how he had trained them each since they were toddlers, and the escapades and 'lovely' little adventures the boys had followed their prince into. He even told them of the many conquests the young men had shared with various and numerous others.
 
After a time he began to talk about the Moon Kingdom and the Moon Princess. And now, as Elios wove the story of their past, the barricades to their memories began to melt away and they joined him in the tales. He told them then about Queen Beryl, and her attack upon the Moon Kingdom. Each man turned pale with sickness as they relieved the attack…the loss of their loves…the loss of their own souls….to a witch.
 
Elios then told them of the sacrifice of Queen Serenity and how she had sent the 'children' into Earth's future to be reborn…
 
He began to tell them the efforts of Sailor Moon and of the Sailor Senshi--the female warriors who protected her…
 
But the four men had begun crying.
 
They remembered.
 
"We--"
 
"--tried--"
 
"--to--"
 
"--kill them."
 
Then Elios felt sorrow for the four men.
 
"Yes," he told them truthfully. "And several times you all nearly succeeded."
 
They were silent then. Their faces were grief-stricken.
 
"How can we ever--" Kunzite couldn't finish the question. He stared up at his mentor with pleading eyes.
 
Elios tried to smile, and he found it surprisingly hard.
 
"The Inner Senshi have little if any memory of their lives upon the moon," he told them. "They know nothing of your supposed betrayal. They only know that in this life," he paused, and it was a dramatic silence, "You tried to kill them."
 
Kunzite nodded, his eyes glazed over with tears. His comrades were in the same boat.
 
"This really sucks," Jadeite said.
 
 
Chapter 27
 
Setsuna stepped out of the portal and felt her stomach lurch. It was exactly as she remembered it. Everything. Everything was the same.
 
She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She had a mission to complete. She had to round up the Moon Generals and steal them away from their home…away from their loved ones….and eventually she would have to tell them that because they left, their loves died.
 
There was a bitter taste in her mouth as she walked up the pristine steps that led to the Queen's rooms. She rapped lightly upon the door and entered when a voice from the other side bid entrance. Setsuna's heart leapt when she saw her Queen sitting at the vanity pulling a fine tooth-comb through her silken hair.
 
"Yes," Queen Serenity said looking through the mirror at Setsuna. The Queen smiled, and Setsuna felt heart-broken.
 
"Y-your Majesty," she began.
 
"Yes, Pluto, what is it?" The Queen put her comb down and frowned at her, concern filled her face. "What is wrong?" she asked turning from the mirror to look directly at her.
 
"Your Majesty," she said again. "I need the Generals for a special assignment."
 
"A special assignment?" Serenity asked, her frown deepening. "Pluto, what is this about?"
 
"I am afraid, that I may not reveal that information at this time, your Majesty."
 
Serenity stared at her. And then, after a moment, she sighed. "I must believe you know what you are doing," she said, turning back to the mirror. "But please do not keep them long. These are uncertain times we are in."
 
Setsuna bit her lip. "As you wish," she said, bowing, hiding the tears in her eyes.
 
She left as quickly as possible. Nausea made her weak. Her knees felt ready to buckle. She took in several very deep breaths. 'Get a hold of yourself, Setsuna,' she told herself sternly. 'You are a Warrior Soldier, the Guardian of Time. And sometimes you must do things that are not enjoyable. Now, go get the generals so you may leave as soon as possible!'
 
Setsuna grabbed a servant girl passing by with a tray of glasses. She gave the girl strict orders to ask the four Moon Generals to meet her in the conference room. The girl nodded, her eyes wide with fright and awe of the powerful princess. Setsuna headed straight to the conference room to await her long-ago friends and comrades.
 
She had waited a total of fifteen minutes before the door opened. Four men filed into the room, lead by a tall man with deep blue-green hair and dark green eyes. Setsuna's eyes devoured him, hungrily. And she turned around to face to window to hide the rose that had crept into her cheeks.
 
"You summoned."
 
Setsuna turned around, and her heart insisted on doing a little flip-flop.
 
"What's this all about, P," the man said walking farther into the room and moving to embrace her. She stepped away hastily and he gave her a funny look. "I thought you weren't to return for another fortnight?"
 
She swallowed hard, trying to regain some of her lost composure.
 
"Generals," she said weakly and then tried again. "Generals, I have need of your assistance in a matter of up most urgency."
 
"You name it, P," the same man who had tried to hug her said. "We're there."
 
"Thank you, General Euclase," she said softly.
 
"'General'?" he looked around him and then stared back at her. "Since when have you been so formal when we're in private, love?"
 
Setsuna bit her lip to prevent answering him with the truth.
 
"We must hurry," she said instead. "General Tellurium, Meliphane, Sardonyx, if you will please follow me," she said, turning towards a window that looked out over the gardens so she didn't have to look at them. So she didn't have to look in their eyes as she betReid their trust.
 
A portal opened, blowing stray papers about the room. Setsuna walked into it without looking back to see if they had followed her.
 
Captain-General Euclase gave her a funny look, but he and the other Moon Generals followed her through the portal without another question. Following her to the betrayal of their Kingdom…
 
'I am sorry, my queen,' she thought as the portal closed from within the conference room. 'I am sorry to have betReid your trust in me. I pray that one day you will be able to forgive me.'
 
 
Chapter 28
 
 
The portal opened to the Gates of Time, and the four generals gave out a little sound of surprise and shock when they saw where they were.
 
"P?" Euclase began.
 
But before he could say more, another portal opened, and out stepped, none other than Sailor Pluto. The Moon Generals were shocked by this. The women smiled sadly at their collective intake of breath.
 
"Thank you for coming," Sailor Pluto said, looking over the four Moon generals.
 
"How fare's things where I have left?" Setsuna asked.
 
Pluto frowned. "The child grows." She paused. "You must retrieve the four Earth Generals before you return," she said, looking at her younger self. "Together you will all travel to your time."
 
Setsuna nodded. "Everything has been arranged before I left."
 
Sailor Pluto nodded and then turned to face the four Moon Generals. She could not hide the flash of amusement, nor the tiny smile that teased the corners of her lips. The four men she had once known so well upon the moon were now in complete shock. Apparently, although they knew she was the senshi of time, none of them understood that also meant she could meet herself…from time to time…
 
"You must go with Sailor Pluto," the older Sailor said. "She will escort you to that place where you need be."
 
"But--"
 
"All questions will be answered soon," she said. "When everyone is gathered together."
 
They seemed to think that over. Finally, they nodded and turned to face the Sailor Pluto who had brought them to the Time Gate. Setsuna smiled and nodded her head in return.
 
"Come," she said with a hint of a smile, stepping towards the Time Gate. "There is no time to lose."
 
The men looked at one another again, looked at Sailor Pluto, who nodded and urged them on, and then followed Setsuna through the Time Gate.
 
*****
 
Illusion could be a beautiful place…if you had beautiful dreams. To the walkers of Time, who had lived for thousands of years without companionship, dreams were seldom beautiful. But as the portal of time opened onto the fields of Illusion, Setsuna and her four generals stepped out onto sun-filled green fields where flowers ran riot.
 
For the second time in a matter of minutes, the Moon Generals caught their breath. Setsuna, too, was slightly surprised by this change, having expected to come out upon the dark, mist filled world she had visited before.
 
"Welcome back, Princess," voice called from behind them. They whipped around to see a young man dressed in white robes, smiling at them.
 
"Elios," Setsuna said and nodded. She held her position.
 
"You have come for the Earth Generals?"
 
"Yes."
 
"They are in the fields," he said with a wave of is hand, "training."
 
"Thank you," she said and took off for the fields.
 
"Oh, Sailor Pluto!" Elios called out to her.
 
Setsuna turned around to look at him.
 
"Give my love to Endymion and the Princess!" he said with a smile twisting his lips.
 
*****
 
They didn't have far to go before they heard the grunts and groans of the Earth Generals.
 
"Inferno Rage!"
 
Clouds of fire billowed up and out from Jadeite's arms and hands and shot across the field with lightening speed.
 
"Careful, Jed," Zoicite said, easily somersaulting out of the blaze. "Elios won't appreciate you setting his world all fire.
 
"Typhoon Waking!"
 
A wave of water gushed forward and devoured the flames licking the green fields.
 
"Watch out yourself, Zoi!"
 
Nephrite pulled his arm back and yelled "Avalanche Falling!" His arm flung forward and it was like a slingshot: a thousand rocks went hurtling through the air, heading straight for Zoicite.
 
"Now, Neph, that's not nice." Kunzite smiled and sent a blast of air their way. "Paralda Wind!" Zoi and Nephrite fell back to the ground. Jadeite hunched over, an arm raised to block his face against the biting blast if wind.
 
Setsuna cleared her throat loudly when the wind died down. Four pairs of eyes flew to where she and the four Moon Generals stood. Four pairs of eyes narrowed versus four pairs of narrowed eyes.
 
"Now gentlemen," Setsuna said, walking between the two groups of men. "We have work to do. If you will all come with me." As she said this another portal opened beside her. "We must be on our way."
 
The eight men were at a stand off. Each standing tall and stiff. None trusting the group before them.
 
"We do not have time for this," Setsuna said. "Unless you come with me now, both the Prince and the Princess will die."
 
That got their attention and all eight pairs of eyes to her face. She nodded. Her words were truth.
 
"P," Euclase was saying.
 
"Sailor Pluto," Kunzite was saying at the same time.
 
Both men stopped and looked at one another.
 
"Follow me," Setsuna said, trying again.
 
They did, filing two by two. No one trusting the other.
 
 
Chapter 29
 
Usagi tried to roll over in bed, but the large mound of her belly pushed at her and made things rather uncomfortable all around. She yawned and blinked the sleep out of her eyes.
 
3:30
 
Damn. She had at least another hour before she had to get up and leave for the shrine grounds. She got out of bed, anyway, padding into the kitchen to make a cup of tea. She was getting antsy. The year was playing out and so far, other then her growing pregnancy, nothing had really happened.
 
She sat down at the table, hands cupped around the warm mug, staring into its murky green depths. She leaned her head down on the table. Tears whose origins she did not know, began to slid down her cheeks. Strong hands squeezed her shoulders and began massaging the knotted muscles there.
 
Mamoru leaned over and kissed her cheek. "What's the matter?" he asked, his hands sliding down her arms.
 
She shook her head and shrugged. She leaned back in the chair, back against him. "My mind's all clouded with thoughts that don't want to go away," she sighed.
 
"I could make them disappear," he suggested, nibbling at her neck.
 
"Mamoru, no," she said softly. "Not right now, please." She closed her eyes. "I don't feel good."
 
"What's wrong?" he asked frowning.
 
"Something's--coming," she said shaking her head. "Something's about to happen."
 
She paused trying to clarify the thought. In the end all she said was, "I wish Puu was here now."
 
******
 
Usagi sat on the steps of the shrine, watching as the girls practiced in the yard below. She was terribly bored. Luna and Artimis sat beside her, trying to keep her company, but Usagi just was not in a friendly mood and eventually told them to go away and leave her alone.
 
Luna sulked a bit, but Artemis led her away.
 
Usagi looked at her watch. 7:30. It was Saturday. They'd decided to work out in the morning so they could have the afternoon off. Minako had mentioned another sale she wanted to go to, while Amy was talking about some convention going on downtown. Neither sounded great to Usagi, but all the girls insisted on doing something. Even Mamoru insisted that she stay active somehow.
 
'Hypocrites,' she thought. 'All of them. They all want me to stay active yet they refuse to allow me to practice with them.' She twirled the rose between her palms, staring at its delicate petals. She picked one and rubbed it against her lips.
 
She looked up with a start when the portal opened in the center of the yard. She was standing and running towards it when Setsuna and eight men walked out.
 
She froze-- from surprise as much as recognition of four of the men accompanying the Senshi of Time. The girls, who had abruptly stopped their practice to greet their friend and fellow senshi, now watched the 'intruders' warily.
 
The four Inner Senshi recognized the Earth Generals immediately as their foes from so long ago. The Outers, picking up on their fellow senshi's feelings towards the visitors, also stood on guard.
 
The Earth Generals had been warned. The senshi had no memory of their shared connection other than that four years ago they were enemies. The Moon Generals, unaware of the 'time shift,' made to go towards their loves but stopped suddenly when they realized their 'girls' were aiming their weapons at them.
 
"P?" Euclase asked, staring at her now. The question was written plain within his purple eyes, but he voiced it anyway. "What's going on here?"
 
"Puu?" Usagi questioned, pushing past Mars and Uranus. "What is this? Who--"
 
Setsuna smiled at her with a sad little smile. "Usagi," she said nodding with a friendly smile. "Princess Serenity of the Moon Kingdom and Neo Queen Serenity of Crystal Tokyo and the Earth Kingdom, may I present the Guardians and Generals of the Earth and Moon Kingdoms."
 
There was a sharp intake of breath as the girls all looked more closely at the men they encircled. Eyes narrowed with distrust and disbelief.
 
"Setsuna-san," Rei said frowning heavily. "These are the four scum we trashed years ago!"
 
"Hey, girls! What's--" Mamoru's words cut off abruptly when he saw the generals. His eyes narrowed and he stared at Kunzite. "You…"
 
"My prince," Kunzite said, bowing.
 
"What's this all about?" he asked, looking around the other girls. They were all staring at the Generals. His eyes met with Usagi, and together, they both looked towards Setsuna.
 
"If we can have someplace to talk, I will explain," the senshi answered calmly.
 
Usagi nodded and looked over to Rei. "I believe the shrine is available," she said after Rei nodded. She turned her back and walked up the steps. Mamoru was close at her heels. When they'd all piled around one of the smaller, less-used buildings, they turned to Setsuna.
 
And the beautiful dark mistress of Time began to speak.
 
"A thousand years ago," her voice rang our clearly. "When the Silver Millennium reigned under the rule of Queen Serenity, the Princess Serenity had four guardians. These four women were the princesses of Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter. They swore their lives to protecting the princess. As you are already aware, they were not the only senshi in our solar system. The princesses of Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto had also sworn their lives to protecting the Princess, but above that, to protecting our solar system."
 
"Yea, we know all that, Setsu-chan," Haruka cut in irritably. "What do we have to do with them." She nodded to the generals.
 
Setsuna ignored her question and continued speaking.
 
"You all remember the story of Endymion's and Serenity's… courtship," she continued. There were murmurs and nods about the room. "What none of you seem to remember," she said slowly, "Is that we were not the only protectors of our worlds."
 
The words hung like a fog around the room.
 
"Wha-at?" Ami asked with shock.
 
Ami was the only one who seemed to recover her voice. Everyone else was looking bugged eyed at Setsuna. Setsuna looked at the normally very composed senshi and smiled.
 
"No one understood the ties that held the Earth and Moon so closely," she continued. "When the Princess fell in love with Endymion, she was not the only one."
 
"But--"
 
"Nor was Serenity the only one with protectors," she said without stopping.
 
"Setsuna that's--"
 
"The Prince was attended by the four Earth Generals who had sworn their lives to their prince. Generals Kunzite, Nephrite, Jadeite, and Zoicite." Each general nodded his head slightly in recognition.
 
"But how--"
 
"When the attack on the moon came--"
 
There was a chorus of sharp breaths as the Moon generals gasped as one.
 
"The Earth Generals were there to help defend their Prince and his love."
 
Setsuna smiled sadly now, as no one interrupted her, anxious to hear what she would say next.
 
"Eventually, everyone on the Moon died. But for the Earth Generals. Generals Kunzite, Nephrite, Jadeite, and Zoicite were captured by our mutual enemy, the Negaverse; they were forced against their will and their nature into becoming agents of evil for the Negaverse. They were brainwashed and abused."
 
Frowns populated the room, none more noticeably then those on the four Earth General's faces.
 
"The Moon was not alone in her love for Earth," she whispered. Her eyes opened and there were tears there as she stared at the senshi. "As protectors of the Princess, the Inner Senshi had followed her to Earth."
 
"I don't think to hear--"Rei began saying, making to stand up.
 
"There, they met and fell in love with Endymion's protectors."
 
"This…" Rei's legs buckled, and she was sitting again. Her face was grief-stricken.
 
She wasn't the only one. Ami's eyes were brimmed with tears, her lower lip trembling violently. Makoto looked rebellious, mad, as though she didn't, couldn't, believe Setsuna. Of them all, only Minako seemed to accept what Setsuna told them as truth. Her heart swelled in her chest and her throat constricted tight.
 
Setsuna took a deep breath, looking at the Moon Generals and then back at the scouts. "There is more," she said and then stopped. She took another deep breath. Beside her, Euclase reached for and squeezed her hand.
 
"The Moon had her protectors, her generals too." She stopped and took another deep breath. "They were Generals Tellurium, Euclase, Meliphane, and Sardonyx."
 
Each man nodded to the group. She bit her lip and a tear slid down her cheek. She looked directly at the Outers and then whispered. "And they were--are the lifemates of the Outer Senshi... our husbands."
 
"Wha-what?" demanded Haruka, standing up suddenly.
 
Setsuna held her tongue, her throat too swollen with tears to allow speech.
 
"Even me?" a timid little voice, asked shyly.
 
All eyes flew to the smallest senshi, Sailor Saturn. She brushed a flyaway lock of black hair away from her face and stared directly at Setsuna.
 
"You were not always so young," she answered softly.
 
Hotaru stuck out her lip, crossed her arms under her small chest, and leaned back on her hip. "Well, if you would stop trying to kill me all the time I might actually make it out of my teens," she said, sulkily.
 
A sound from the generals made eyes turn towards Tellurium, who looked down-right aghast.
 
"Sailor Saturn," Setsuna said now, "May I present General Tellurium."
 
Regaining some of his lost composure, Tellurium bowed to his 'wife' and shot her and encouraging smile. Hotaru studied the man before her.
 
'I married myself a hotty,' she thought to herself as she smiled back. 'Won't Chibi-usa be jealous!'
 
"Sailor Neptune, General Meliphane."
 
Michiru stared at the man who bowed before her, her eyes wide. Beside her, Haruka squeezed her hand. "H-hello," she said shakily to the pale, blond man before her. He smiled at her gently and moved to take her hand, but Haruka pulled her back away from him. Meliphane looked at the other woman with confusion, but stepped back.
 
"Haruka--" Setsuna began, "Sailor Uranus, may I present General Sardonyx--"
 
"No."
 
Everyone started. Haruka shook her head and looked sick with disgust.
 
"No," she said again. "I have no husband." And then she turned and took off running.
 
"Haruka!" But it was too late. "I should go after her," Setsuna said softly moving to follow, but Michiru stopped her.
 
"No," she whispered. "You have done enough already." Her words stung, and Setsuna's carefully composed expression began to fall.
 
"I will go," Michiru told them, turning gracefully to follow after her companion.
 
"Setsuna--" Usagi began, reaching out to touch the older woman.
 
But she pulled away. "No," Setsuna whispered. "She is right…I should have told them…I should have--"
 
"No." Euclase came up from behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders. "As Senshi of Time you are--"
 
Setsuna shook her head, ceasing his words of comfort. "I could have warned them." She looked over to where a stunned Sardonyx stood. "You must understand it is not you," she said. "With Haruka it is men in general."
 
There were snickers from some of the girls, but looks from both Setsuna and Usagi silenced them.
 
"So…" Jadeite said, rocking up on his toes. "This makes for a fun little reunion."
 
"I don't see anything *fun* about it!" Rei growled, ready to attack him, but Makoto and Minako were there to prevent such an event.
 
"I see Mars' disposition is as wonderful as ever," Nephrite commented with a smile.
 
"And just what's *that* supposed to mean?" Makoto asked, letting go of Rei's arm to face him.
 
His smile dropped as she turned on him.
 
"Nice one, Neph," Zoicite remarked with a smirk.
 
Ami's eyes narrowed on him. He looked back at her with a lop-sided smile.
 
"I seem to remember you being a girl," she said, still studying his face.
 
Zoicite's smile turned into a frown. Kunzite, Nephrite, and Jadeite, however, busted out laughing.
 
"Yes, well," Zoi replied shooting daggers at his 'friends', "We're still trying to figure that one out," she, err, he replied.
 
"I never met *you* two," Makoto said, looking at Jadeite and Nephrite, "But I distinctly remember getting the impression *you* two," and now she looked at Zoicite and Kunzite," were--"
 
"Impression only," Kunzite rushed to cut her off--much to the delight of Jed and Neph.
 
"Face it," Jed said trying not to double over with laughter at the situation. "We got screwed over *bad*."