Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You - Sailor Moon ❯ Relationships ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'll Be There For You
Part 4 - Relationships
By: Andrea Readwolf
Rated: PG/PG-13
***************************************************************** *******
Chapter 30
 
The woman looked down and smiled. It was almost time. Yes. She could feel it, taste it. She had worked every last detail out in her mind a thousand times. This time, he would be hers.
 
The woman laughed out loud in delight, leaning back and then standing up straight, an eager smile kissing her lips. She was a fairly pretty woman, or at least she had been, once… Her shoulder length gold-spun blond hair was clipped behind one ear, three skulls adorned the clip. Her blue eyes were not sea or sky, but more like dark storm clouds. Her cheeks were high and wide, and her chin was narrow, leaving her face to look more heart-shaped than oval. Her lips were stained passion red from years of lipsticks. And the color upon her cheeks was also painted.
 
Her body was small, yet large. Small bones in big appearance. She was thin, annorexicaly thin. Since her arrival to this new plane of existence nearly three months ago, she had eaten nothing. Who needed food when there was revenge to be plotted? The dress that clung to her form was red, a deep and rich red, it looked black. It fell off her shoulder in waves, no sleeves, and shot straight to the floor with no seams to mar its flawlessness…except for the one slice down from her hip to her toes.
 
"Something amuses you?" a sour voice asked from behind.
 
"Revenge is almost mine," the woman replied without turning around.
 
The newcomer scoffed at that. "Make sure you do not fail," the voice said. "You have but one chance."
 
"One is all I need," she replied, her honey-toned voice dripping with sweetened disgust. "I was not born a loser."
 
The voice ranted and raved until finally the woman turned around.
 
"Shut up, Mother," she said. The figure of a witch stood before her, in black dress and once-fine jewels. "You're so pathetic," Megumi said with unleashed scorn. "Wallow in your self-misery, and why? Because you were too weak to stand up to a bunch of little children! Now, my job is all the more difficult because you screwed up!"
 
She turned back to the crystal ball she had been gazing into. "You let the moon brat and her silly friends live, and now I must fight them." She frowned and looked back into the ball. "What's this?" she asked herself more than the spirit of a woman long ago dead.
 
"Ha! Look at that!" She looked up to glance at her mother. "The Moon and Earth Generals, returned to their long-lost loves," she laughed again. "And the stupid twits don't even want them. Oh, the poor little boys, how heart broken they must be!" Raunchy laughter filled the room once more.
 
The laughter died down, slowly. "Oh, dear me," she said sarcastically. "What ever will the poor little princess do now?" She looked closer into the crystal. "Yes, my dear, sweet, Serenity. I know who you are!" she hissed. "And I will have my revenge!"
 
******
 
"Oh dear!" Ami shook her head, watching both the men and her friends warily.
 
"*You* got screwed over?" Rei growled, venom falling from her lips.
 
"Well I didn't see you girls being brain-washed, your minds raped, mutilated, and destroyed just so you can go out and destroy everything you've every loved," Jadeite replied with equal valor.
 
"At least *you* didn't die three times!"
 
"No, only twice!" the fiery general snapped. "At least *you* didn't have to do something against your will!"
 
"Oh?" Rei snorted. "As if we got down on our knees and *begged* to become soldiers of peace and justice because, obviously, we didn't have anything better to be doing with our time!" She shook her head disgustedly. "At least *you*--"
 
"Children, children, please," Kunzite said, stepping between the two fighting people. "Let's not fight?"
 
"Please!" Nephrite laughed. "Do you ever remember there being a time when they *weren't* fighting?"
 
"Yes," Zoicite answered, a tiny smirk playing around his lips. "When they were making up."
 
Neprite smiled. "True, true. Okay, but other than that?"
 
The senshi stared baldly at the three Earth Generals, not knowing what to say. Rei and Jadeite stood frozen, flushed with anger and embarrassment.
 
"Kunzite," Minako started, and then bit her lip. "Generals, now that you are here, what are your intentions?"
 
He looked at her, eyes shining briefly before he cleared his voice and answered roughly. "To protect you." He looked directly at Minako, and then looked towards the others and his prince.
 
"And Endymion," he continued, nodding towards Mamoru. "Endymion's wife, and the baby."
 
"We're not married."
 
Eyes flew to Usagi. She looked at them. "What?" she asked. "We're not married. Is that so hard to believe?"
 
All eight generals' eyes looked down at her swollen belly and then back up to her face.
 
Usagi rolled her eyes, her entire head moving. "Gods! Just because a girl's going to have a baby she has to be married, right? Is that it?"
 
"Err...of course not," Euclase replied, looking to Setsuna for help.
 
"I think," she said softly, "That the Generals and I should continue on. They will be staying with us until further accommodations can be made. I will escort the Moon Generals there now." She looked up at the angry clouds gathering overhead. "Surely Sailor Uranus has calmed down."
 
"I doubt it," Sardonyx snorted. "She'll hold a grudge about this as long as we--" he shot a pointed look towards Meliphane "let her."
 
His companion sighed wearily even and Euclase said his name warningly.
 
Sardonyx either didn't care or wasn't worried. He waved Euclase's warning aside and turned and walked away. The remaining generals, Hotaru, and Setsuna said their good-byes-- and good lucks-- before leaving.
 
"So," Jadeite began, turning back to scrutinize Mamoru and Usagi. "Why *aren't* you two married yet?"
 
 
 
Chapter 31
 
 
Setsuna was grateful to find the car still sitting on the side of the road in front of the shrine. She reached for the keys in her purse, telling the others to get in as she started the vehicle up. Her mind was frazzled, her nerves even worse.
 
'Snap out of it, Setsuna,' she told herself harshly.
 
A hand brushed against her thigh, and surprised she looked up to see Euclase had taken the front passenger seat. Euclase tried to flash her a smile, but she could see his uneasiness easily enough. She returned his smile, hoping everything would somehow work out, and drove off.
 
Since the arrival of baby Hotaru, the four older senshi lived together in a single family home. It was a large home by Japanese standards, but with eight extra bodies it would be a... cramped fit. Still, it was the better choice than splitting the young men up and leaving them to room with the others. Rei might have been able to find space for them at the shrine, but it wasn't guaranteed, and she wouldn't be the one to suggest it first. Perhaps later, the Earth Generals would be allowed to stay there, but for now...
 
'You should have told them,' an inner voice chided her. 'You let them believe they were free when you knew they were not. Now they are hurt. Now they--'
 
'I didn't know!' she protested. 'They died! Their seed wasn't re-lit! How could I have known they would ever return again?'
 
The house was upon them before the voice could answer her. She yanked her keys from the ignition and flew -- at a very composed and controlled pace -- to her own room, leaving the men to follow behind.
 
The men looked at one another with uncertainty and then turned as one to the remaining female of their group. Hotaru cleared her throat nervously and looked around her. "Well, I suppose we should all go in and get settled," she suggested, but no one made the first move.
 
Finally, Euclase followed the path Setsuna had taken, leaving the others behind as he chased down the older woman. He caught the bedroom door before it could close shut in his face.
 
"Go away," Setsuna commanded imperiously, whirling to face him when he reached for her. Dark green waves flew through the air, pulling away from its clasp. Unshed tears dyed her eyes a dark red and stained her pale cheeks.
 
"P," he said, reaching out to pull her to him, to hold her, touch her.
 
"No!" she shouted, throwing up her hands to ward him off. Her self-control wavered, warring with desires, wants, and fears. "No, don't you get it? I'm *not* P. I'm not the same person who you know... The woman you love, the woman you married, she died, Euclase."
 
The name fell like poisoned honey from her lips, burning her throat and chest. "She died a very long time ago. My name is Setsuna. I-"
 
She broke off with a choked cry and turned to face the bed. This wasn't real, she told herself. This was a dream; no, it had to be a nightmare. The Senshi of Time did *not* lose control over herself. She did not cry! Sailor Pluto did *not* cry. Therefore she was *not* crying! No! She wasn't.
 
He surprised her, warm arms coming up from behind her, enfolding her in their promised strength and certainly. She hadn't heard him. How had he moved away from the door without her knowing? her mind wondered disjointedly even as her body melted back against the assured warmth. It was so easy, too easy as he gently drew her back to rest back to front against the solid, supporting warmth of his chest.
 
"It's okay," he whispered, chin resting against her shoulder. "I... I don't pretend to understand everything that's going on, but--" and she could hear his smile when he continued, "that's never stopped me before. You can call me stubborn, you can call me a fool, and I will still tell you the same thing. Pluto..." He stopped and shook his head. "Setsuna."
 
Her name, his voice wrapped around her name, it broke something inside her that she'd thought dead a long, long time.
 
"Setsuna, it does not matter to me how older you are than me, it doesn't matter to me that there are secrets you must keep from me, it doesn't matter that Setsuna is not the same body as the woman I love and married." He moved to hold her at arms length and waiting until she would look at him before continuing. "It was your soul I fell in love with, many moons ago, and it is your soul that still claims my heart."
 
He wiped a tear away from her glistening eyes with a thumb. "And thus, it doesn't matter what you call yourself. You will always be my 'P' and I will always love you... no matter who, or what, or where, or *when* you are."
 
His blue-green eyes stared into hers, daring her to disagree with him. She wouldn't; no, she couldn't. The love radiating from him was something she had dreamed of for centuries. She threw herself into his arms and released her already fractured grip on her shattered control--not a very Sailor Pluto thing to do, her mind chided.
 
'Shut up,' she told her mind. 'Tonight I'm not Sailor Pluto,' she said… 'Tonight I am just Setsuna. Just a woman--a woman who has been reunited with the other half of her soul…'
 
She reached up, her hands sliding through his blue-green locks, and brought his lips to hers.
 
"My princess," he whispered.
 
"My love," she answered…
 
*****
 
 
Chapter 32 Neptune/Michiru
 
Haruka raced for the house, their sanctuary, aware of Michiru behind her. But she couldn't stop her feet from flying, from fleeing. Her instincts demanded she get away...and her feet followed without faltering a single step. She didn't slow until she reached the kitchen, and there she stood, gulping cooled swallows of air, willing her limbs to stop shaking from the still wildly pumping adrenaline.
 
She eyed the multi-jeweled colored bottles of alcohol and then reached steadily for a clean glass and the tap, forcing herself to drink the cool water slowly.
 
Michiru arrived as the blonde paced herself through her second glass. The other woman eyed the shaking glass in Haruka's hand and then pushed past her, reaching for another glass and pouring a strong shot of alcohol. She tossed it back with a hissed exhale and then concentrated on just breathing for several long seconds.
 
Haruka's lips twitched. "Too much alcohol will make you fat," she warned, heating under the unamused glare Michiru shot her way.
 
Haruka stared at her-- anger, frustration, and love radiating from their bodies, calling each other's emotions out stronger than before, daring them to burn -- before she slammed the glass against the counter.
 
"Damn them," she ground out finally, wrenching her gaze away to stare hotly at the wall. "Damn them and, and damn *her*," she hissed. "Damn her for-- for-- for just springing this on us without warning! Who does she think she is?" the blonde finally cried out with a shout.
 
Michiru leaned back against the counter, arms crossed, and watched her lover evenly. "She is doing what she thinks she must do. Do not forget what our duty is: to protect the princess and this solar system. That must always be our first priority."
 
Haruka turned on her, heavy breaths pulling at her as she stared at the other woman, posed so calmly, cooly. "You believe her, then? That we need these... these *men*?" she asked accusingly.
 
"They change nothing," Michiru replied negligently. "Our duty is to protect the princess," Michiru continued before a smile teased her lips. "Although, one wonders..."
 
Haruka's grey eyes narrowed warily. "What?"
 
"General Sardonyx is quite a becoming man--" Haruka growled at that statement. "Perhaps you were thinking so, too?" Michiru asked whimsically, closing the distance between them.
 
"It's almost a shame I'm... not free," Michiru continued airily, reaching out to pull Haruka against her.
 
"No, your not," the blond agreed, meeting her mouth forcibly. Michiru's body pressed against hers, the gentle swell of her breasts pressing into Haruka's, her full hips and thighs filling Haruka's hands.
 
"We protect the princess," she repeated Michiru's words, her voice hard steel. "And if it means we need help to do so, then," she took a deep breath and exhaled like she had the weight of the world to deal with, "Then, we just deal with them as we would any other ally."
 
Michiru smiled and cupped Haruka's cheek, gently brushing her lips against Haruka's cheek. "Yes," she agreed.
 
"This changes nothing," Haruka whispered, pulling closer to Michiru's warmth. "*They* change nothing."
 
"Nothing," Michiru repeated, meeting lips with lips.
 
A cough from the doorway, and the two women broke apart regretfully, turning to look questioningly at the two men who were standing there looking back at them.
 
For men, they were remarkably well made, Michiru noticed, but neither was as attractive as her Haruka. Sardonyx was attractive, as was the other one, the one named Meliphane--her past-life's husband, she reminded herself wryly. Warm amber-like eyes that would probably sparkle wonderfully when he was amused, and all that pale white hair that fell in waves past his shoulders... nice. Not too broad or too boney. She disliked boney angles.
 
Haruka, still in Michiru's loose embrace, continued to glare at the intruders.
 
It was Sardonyx who broke the stand-off. "Some things never change," he remarked drolly, his carnelian eyes boring right through her. Somewhere along the commute from shrine to house he had pulled his onyx black hair back-- one of Hotaru's garishly cutesy hair-ties scream from his nape. Lips curved in what should have been an amused smile.
 
Meliphane pushed away from the doorframe and walked up to the counter, reaching into the open cabinet to retrieve a glass for himself. "Drink?" he asked looking over his shoulder to Sardonyx.
 
"Don't mind if I do," he replied, lazily, walking into the room.
 
"What do you want?" Haruka barked.
 
"Well, for starters, a drink," Sardonyx answered, taking the glass Meliphane offered him with a small toast. "Thank you."
 
"Is there somewhere we can sit and be comfortable and *discuss* this like rational beings," Meliphane asked, directing his question purposefully towards Michiru, as if knowing that asking Haruka would be as good as asking for more trouble. The blond woman bristled anyway.
 
"We can all sit in the living room," Michiru responded, running a graceful hand along Haruka's spine in a lovingly cherished gesture not lost on either man. Smiling pleasantly, she motioned the men forward.
 
"You know, your attitude is complete ridiculous," Sardonyx informed them, eyeing Haruka especially.
 
"Oh?" Haruka asked with saccharine politeness. "You are always welcome to leave."
 
His eyes narrowed dangerously, and he reminded Michiru in that moment of a large, black, predatorily feline--graceful, lithe, and dangerous.
 
"You would like that, wouldn't you?" he snorted. "But, you know what, it doesn't matter. As far as I am concerned, you are not our wives, so you needn't fear for your precious celestial innocence! We have been called away from our home, from our wives, in order to assist you on this mission--will ye, nil ye, regardless of whether you want our help or not."
 
Sardonyx stopped suddenly and glared at the two women with chilled eyes. "So you had better accustom yourselves to this fact, ladies. Now, if you'll excuse me, I find myself in need of some freshened air."
 
He walked out the patio doors, leaving behind stony silence until Meliphane sighed heavily.
 
"Well," the silver-haired man said after another moment. "I'm glad that's over." He chose the more comfortable looking sofa and stretched his long legs out, pulling from his still full glass with an easy air.
 
"Over?" Haruka barked.
 
Meliphane returned Haruka's angry look with as good as he got. "Yes, over," he repeated, placing his glass safely on the little side table. "You may not remember your past lives, you may not remember *us*," he expounded calmly, coolly, "but we don't have to try and remember you. To us, we left you in our beds this morning, the sheets still damp and hot from lovemaking."
 
He reached for the drink but found himself suddenly not thirsty. "This... will be difficult for us," he admitted after another moment. "You are different from the women we know, and you will act differently and surprise us. We will make mistakes with you, possibly offend you when we mean not to."
 
"You're not going to follow him?" Michiru asked softly when it seemed he wouldn't continue.
 
"He'll get over his temper soon enough," Meliphane replied, smiling sadly as he stared at Haruka. "He really loves you, you know," he said before taking a swallow.
 
Haruka huffed disbelievingly. "He has a wonderful way of demonstrating it then."
 
"You've not so bad a way yourself," he countered, lips twitching.
 
"I don't love him," the blond answered matter-of-factly.
 
Meliphane laughed then, and it was like many silver bells ringing across a snowy landscape. "Of course you love him," he informed her. "The soul always remembers its loved ones, regardless of whether the mind remembers or not. Besides," he added, shrugging nonchalantly. "You wouldn't feel so threatened by our presence if your body didn't recognize the attraction that continues to exist, despite, as you say, our never having met before."
 
Michiru hid her smile by looking away. "Haruka-chan," she sang lightly when she felt her facial features safely back under control, "You should go and talk with him." She ran a reassuring hand across her lover's spine again, soothing away the tension-filled muscles.
 
Haruka remained silent, refusing to respond, her face a hardened mask until finally Michiru turned her by her shoulder. Fingertips calloused from hours of violin practice grazed across her cheek.
 
"Go to him," Michiru repeated softly. "Talk to him."
 
"I don't see what good it'll do," the blond mumbled finally, looking away.
 
"It will serve to learn more about this new man who is to be our ally," Michiru smiled beautifully, and Haruka continued to grouse all the way out of the living room.
 
When she was assured that her partner had indeed exited the house in the direction of the back patio, Michiru refocused her attention back to their remaining guest.
 
"Remarkable," Meliphane breathed, shaking his head with heavy amusement. Seeing Michiru's questioning look, he explained, "One thousand years, and she hasn't changed a bit." And then, before the sea-beauty could reply to that statement, he added, "And neither have you."
 
Michiru was amused, and allowed that amusement to show on her face as General Meliphane cautiously approached her, careful not to touch her, as if he already knew she would not appreciate that.
 
"You're still as beautiful as the first day I saw you," he said with a fanciful smile. "You will always be beautiful."
 
"Thank you," Michiru murmured coyly, watching him even as she tilted her face away. "You're very kind in your compliments."
 
He laughed--and again, it was like the sound of bells on frosted air. "Shall I tell you how we met?" he asked, not waiting for her answer. "You had come to Court with your mother. I was a young guard on duty at the time. You had come to discuss your training as a senshi, and I remember thinking that I had never, in my entire life, seen anything that could outshine the beauty I saw before me at that moment. I thought for sure you must have been a goddess."
 
He winked at her playfully. "Of course, I was close. That night I spied you once more. This time, by grace of luck, you were alone, sitting at one of the many windows, overlooking the night sky, and I thought to myself once again how beautiful you were... So I told you, and...You blushed--" his knuckles dared to graze her cheek-- "And told me, 'Sir, you must be mistaken for surely I am no goddess. I am merely a princess far from her home,' and in that instant I fell in love. Those words felled me more swiftly than any pretty face or sharp blade could have fallen me."
 
"Why are you telling me this?" she asked, her voice weak with some not-quite foreign emotion.
 
"It is strange, to have shared memories with you, of which you have no memory of," he whispered hoarsely. "I don't understand why we were brought to this time, to this place -- other than the princess needs our help, and we are as always at her service, but-- in spite of the craziness of this world, I want you to know that I love you, your soul, your heart. And not just your body." He sent a look down the body in question. "Though that has always been quite nice as well."
 
"I'm so glad you approve," she breathed, leaning in closer to his body. What was this, this crazy pull she felt from him? 'The soul always remembers its loved ones, regardless of whether the mind remembers or not,' he had said, and if he was correct...
 
 
 
Chapter 33 - Uranus/Haruka
 
She studied him a full five minutes before she went to him. Was it true? Did she really once have feelings for this man? Her throat tightened. If she did, she didn't feel it now. Now, her heart and body and soul belonged to Michiru and Usagi, and no one else.
 
Still... some sense of something seemed to hum inside her veins as she looked upon this man. Perhaps it was attraction. As Michiru has spoken, he was comely. Well-kept, trimmed, large but not in an unappealing or disgusting way. His black hair, despite the ponytail, fell half way down his back. His shoulders were broad, but his muscular was fine.
 
His body was like a stick-- a fat stick, she decided. Yes, that was it. There were no curves on him at all…of course, there didn't appear to be an ounce of fat on him, either…was it *all* muscle? She realized she was shaking and frowned.
 
"I was rude," she announced uncomfortably.
 
He turned from his scrutiny of the skyline to brush her a glance, and then he turned back.
 
"You're not sorry, though," he said.
 
She didn't reply. What *could* she say?
 
"What was it this time?" he asked, not bothering to look at her. "Who hurt you this time?" he asked, turning to look her in the eye now. And she could see pain and knowledge in his gaze. Understanding, and it squeezed at her stomach.
 
"Was it your father? A brother perhaps? Maybe a friend or--or a boyfriend?" He paused for a second and then repeated, "Who hurt you this time?"
 
Emotion sealed her throat tight. She felt ill and looked away.
 
A hand snaked around her wrist before she could stop him. He closed the distance separating them without her realizing it. "Who was it?" he demanded.
 
She tried to pull away but he held fast. He was strong; stronger than her. The thought crossed her mind, and with it came the knee-jerk instinct to flee or fight. She'd already run away more times than she was comfortable with. "You!" she hissed at him. "Now, let go of me!"
 
He didn't. he leaned into her instead, pushing her back into the wall.
 
"No," he whispered, pushing closer still, crowding her. His hands held her wrists, seemingly trapping her, and she
began to thrash, instinctively struggling to free herself, push him back.
 
His sudden groan froze her. That was not a pained groaned.
 
"Don't do that," he whispered hoarsely, resting his head against the stucco wall over her shoulder. She could feel his breath against her skin, feel the heat and energy pouring from him in electrifying waves... and her pulse quickened.
 
'This is not good,' she thought frantically.
 
"I'm not going to force myself on you, if that's what you think," he said after a moment. He pushed away then, and she was acutely aware of the lack of warmth from the body that had been touching hers. She licked her dry lips and suddenly found herself free as he wheeled away with a curse.
 
She used the moment to recollect her own sensibilities and then looked up, eyes burning with rage and indignation... only to find him heaving over the railing.
 
"I'm sorry," he said after another moment had allowed him to regain some composure over his wild emotions.
 
It was as if someone had moved aside to allow her back behind the wheel of this out of control vehicle. She leaned back against the wall, her hands, palms flat, behind her. She didn't smile, but she recognized the strange feelings coursing through her again. It left her feeling decidedly feminine. Sexy and alluring and desirable.
 
"You're not sorry," she said.
 
He looked up, shocked, and then a smile that could only be described as wolfish lit his face. He turned and leaned back against the railing, maintaining the distance with all but his gaze. "I am sorry for scaring you," he answered, his eyes never leaving hers. "I could never be sorry for touching you, though. For wanting to touch you, even now--for wanting you to touch me…"
 
Her eyes darted down his body and raced back up to his face. His smile dropped from his lips, and he was staring at her with an unnerving intensity.
 
This was lust, Haruka thought as they moved, crashing together.
 
Skin touched skin. Hands roamed. Lips locked. His hands danced over her body, gliding from arms to waist and back up again.
 
"Is this not the same woman I left in our bed only this morning?" he asked, right before she took his mouth in a kiss that defied reason and knew only of passion.
 
 
 
Chapter 34 - Saturn/Hotaru
 
He followed the strange woman-child into what was to be the Moon Generals' rooms, helping her retrieve futons and linens. To keep her company while the others talked, he told himself. She smiled at him, but didn't comment more than to ask him to retrieve this or that from one of the upper shelves.
 
Hotaru certainly didn't mind the company of this man who was once her husband. Not at all. In fact, this man's presence, the presence of the other moon generals, relieved her of some anxiety. She had speculated on it before, but had never been able to determine whether or not senshi were allowed to fall in love and get married.
 
They accomplished setting out the futons in easy order, and then stood staring at one another, unsure what to do next. Finally, Hotaru grinned and went back out the front door. There, in the large tree towards the side yard, a little plank of wood swung in the gentle evening breeze. Mamoru had hung it there over a year ago.
 
Tellurium was amused by her expectant look as she perched delicately, but he had taken up a position behind her and softly began pushing her back and forth. She loved the feel of the wind as it brushed past her. It made her feel like she was flying.
 
"How strange it is to meet a man who was once my husband," she said into the breeze.
 
"How strange it is to meet the child who was my wife," Tellurium answered, pushing the swing forward again.
 
"I'm not *that* young," she protested lightly, twisting on the bench to look over her shoulder at him.
 
"You are younger than my wife," he replied with a smile.
 
She jumped off the swing as it sailed forward and walked to the base of the tree. She stood there silently, studying the knurled wood of its trunk. She turned around abruptly, startling him.
 
"Is she pretty?" she asked, staring up into his silver eyes. "Was *I* pretty?"
 
He nodded and fell to the green grass beside her. He looked up and smiled. "She's more than just pretty, she's beautiful."
 
Hotaru bit her lip and he held a hand up for her to join him in the patch of grass before he continued.
 
"She has midnight hair that frames her beautiful face and eyes so deep that you feel like you're falling into them every time you look into them. And she has the strongest spirit I have ever known."
 
Hotaru smiled and brushed a stray strand of hair away from her face. He grabbed the hand and held on to it. "She has a smile that makes anyone who sees it feel good and this adorable habit of brushing stray hairs from her face with a single sweep of her beautiful little hand."
 
He brought her hand to his lips and placed a gentle kiss in the center. Hotaru's cheeks filled with color. Tellurium fell back onto the grass and she moved with him so she was laying against his side.
 
"She is the most beautiful creature I have every known. Not much taller than you are now--she is small in stature, yes, and yet her spirit is so great you hardly notice how small the body it is held within is."
 
She frowned and looked into his eyes. "So I'm not going to get much bigger, huh?" She pouted her lips a bit and then sighed. "Oh well." She leaned forward, her elbows resting on his chest.
 
His hand, of its own violation, came up and brushed back a stray strand of midnight black hair. "How old are you, Hotaru?" he asked. There was a slight breathlessness in his voice and it made her smile.
 
"Older than this body looks," she replied, and leaning down, she boldly touched her lips to his. His eyes closed and he allowed himself to return her kiss.
 
 
Part 4 - Relationships
Chapter35
 
The girls looked around at each other, not knowing what to do now that their numbers were halved.
 
"Well, isn't this cozy," Jadeite said into the pregnant silence, leaning back against the wall.
 
"I think--" Usagi began, a hand circling her swollen belly, "That I'm going to lie down for a while."
 
Multiple hands reached out to assist her, but she pushed all but one away, grumbling, "I'm fine, really. I'm just a little tired. More excitement then I'm used to."
 
"You wanna go home?" Mamoru asked, his hand moving in tiny little circles on her back.
 
She smiled up at him, feeling a little relieved at the idea, but the smile quickly faded when she looked around her. 'I can't leave my friends completely alone like this,' she thought. 'Not that I'd be much help if something did go wrong…'
 
"We'll be fine," Rei said briskly, picking up on her line of thinking. "Go home, Usagi. No sense in tiring yourself out."
 
"Yeah," Minako piped up, shooting a look to the surrounding members. "We promise to play nice."
 
Usagi bit her lip--her desire to go home and rest warring with her desire to stay with her friends.
 
"Please, Usagi," Makoto was saying, her face a worried frown.
 
"It's really not good for the baby," Ami added, also frowning.
 
"They'll be fine," Mamoru quietly assured her as they walked out of the shrine grounds together.
 
The remaining group watched from the shrine and waited until the couple was well away before releasing a collective breath.
 
"She's pushing herself again," Makoto sighed.
 
"There's a lot on her mind," Minako reminded her.
 
"Still," Rei huffed. "It can't be good for her or the baby."
 
"It isn't," Ami said softly. All eyes flew to her and she blushed in the sudden attention. "I am keeping a close eye on her," she insisted. They continued to stare…and then after a moment, they nodded and looked back out.
 
"I guess that's all we can do for now," Minako said with a heavy sigh.
 
"Is she unwell?" Kunzite asked after another moment of silence, looking at Minako.
 
The four girls turned to face the four generals.
 
"Is she unwell?" Kunzite repeated, this time directing the question towards Ami.
 
"Other than being young and pregnant," Ami said, "She's fine. She's healthy, despite the amount of junk she eats. But…" she shook her head.
 
"She worries too much," Rei said softly. "The stress can't be good for her."
 
"And there are no side effects from the two crystals?" Zoicite asked, looking intensely at Ami.
 
She frowned, like the other girls. "Two crystals?" they asked.
 
"What *two* crystals?" Rei demanded.
 
The generals frowned. "Why, the Silver Crystal," Nephrite started to say.
 
"And the Golden Crystal," Jadeite finished.
 
"Doesn't Prince Endymion--"
 
"--Mamoru--"
 
"Have possession of the Golden Crystal?" Kunzite finished without acknowledging Minako's interruption.
 
"Why would he have a crystal?" Minako asked, folding her arms in front of her.
 
"Why? Why!" Kunzite roared. He cursed and swung away from the girls…the three other men looked equally upset.
 
"What's so important about the Golden Crystal?" Ami asked looking at the men inquisitively.
 
Kunzite was still off fuming silently so Nephrite answered for her.
 
"The Golden Crystal is Endymion's birthright," he said more calmly then he looked.
 
"It is the most powerful…thing, on Earth," Zoicite said softly.
 
"The two crystals--" Nephrite shook his head.
 
"Together," Jadeite picked up. "The Golden and Silver Crystals are invincible."
 
"They are more powerful then any other thing in the universe," Zoicite added. "Legend has it that the two crystals were really once one crystal, responsible for creating Life, creating the Universe. Later, they were separated into two, each representing the duality of nature."
 
"That's why there was so much trouble with their courtship."
 
"People feared what would happen if the Silver Crystal and the Golden Crystal united again."
 
The girls stared dumbly, minds numb as they tried to process what these men were telling them. They turned to look at one another, and then turned back to the men.
 
"Well," Jadeite was saying. "This is getting interesting."
 
"And just what's *that* supposed to mean?" roared Rei.
 
"It *means* just what I said!" he replied with equal heat.
 
"Come," Kunzite said, turning back to the rest of the group, having calmed down. "If we leave them alone, maybe they'll stop acting like wild beasts."
 
"That's not what happened last time," Nephrite replied with a smirk.
 
Zoicite laughed out loud before he could muffle the response, as Jadeite turned a bright red--and not with anger. The girls were trying not to laugh at the funny picture the red-face boy.
 
"What happened last time?" Minako asked, a hand covering her mouth in an attempt to stem her fit of giggles.
 
Pointed looks were tossed around and Rei exploded before anyone could comment further.
 
"You are not imply what I think you are?" She asked hotly. "I--we--Oh bother! I'm leaving!"
 
And with that, the priestess whirled, raven locks whipping around behind her, almost smacking Jadeite in the face had he not moved quickly enough. She stormed up the shrine steps and inside, leaving the laughing generals and girls and a very red-faced Jadeite behind.
 
"You said it, Jed," Nephrite said, slapping his comrade on the back. "This *is* getting interesting."
 
"Oh, shut up," he growled at him. "If I remember right, *your* romantic life wasn't all sunshine and roses either!"
 
"Nope," Nephrite agreed, still smiling. "But at least PJ and I weren't fighting *all* the time!"
 
The girls all stopped laughing, none looking more stooped than Makoto.
 
"PJ?" she asked with a raised brow. "I am *not* a sandwich," she said, much to the amusement of Minako--who started giggling again.
 
"This is too weird," she said between muffled bursts of laughter, slipping to the stone steps as her system threatened to overload.
 
"At least you don't have to deal with unshared memories," Kunzite told her, leaning against a wall, arms crossed as you looked out at nothing.
 
"What were we like?" she asked before she could think better of it. Looking up and catching his eyes she suddenly felt caught. "What were we like back then?" she breathed.
 
"Beautiful," he whispered, his eyes shining with a special light that she felt sure she remembered... or should remember.
 
"Strong," Nephrite added, staring at Makoto, his gaze locking with her bright green eyes.
 
"Smart," whispered Zoicite, studying Ami's face intently.
 
"Sexy as hell," whispered Jadeite hoarsely, looking at the main building. He felt eyes upon him and looked around to see everyone staring at him.
 
"What?" he asked, looking back petulantly. "What?"
 
The others shook their heads before falling into their own thoughts. The peace and tranquility of their surroundings tempted them, lulled them into an almost comfortable, companionable state. It was Ami who finally broke the silence.
 
"I really should get going," she said, standing. "I have chemistry homework to finish."
 
Minako and Makoto winced, but Zoicite was standing with an excited light in his eye.
 
"Perhaps," he said -a little hopefully?- "I could accompany you," he whispered, staring at her.
 
A blush stained her cheeks and she bit her lip, looking to the others for help, but none was coming from that direction. Finally she found her voice enough to answer, "I really don't think that's a good idea."
 
disappointment was written plainly on his face, clear for anyone to see, and for a moment Ami worried that he might try to push the matter, but he surprised her instead. Zoicite nodded and offered a small bow.
 
"Until we meet again then, Princess," he said on a whisper.
 
Ami bit her lip again--a clear sign that he was affecting the blue haired girl, making her nervous. Minako stepped forward with a self-sacrificing air.
 
"I think I'll join you," she said stretching.
 
She sent a pointed look towards Makoto- who was busy looking calculatingly at Nephrite. It took a loud cough to pull the auburn-pony-tailed girl away from her musing.
 
"Hmm? What?" Makoto asked- her cheeks coloring a hue of red. "Oh, right! I better get going, too."
 
Three men looked over to where Kunzite was standing, watching Minako. Pleas were written all over their faces.
 
"Maybe," he started and had to clear his throat. "Maybe, we could, um, meet again," he asked, staring at her. "Tonight?"
 
She smiled, ready to accept the invitation, but first Ami's and then Makoto's hands were squeezing her own, making her wince.
 
"I, ah, don't think that's such a good idea," she said, biting her lip. The pressure on her hands lightened up a bit and she sighed. Her eyes pleaded with him to understand. "It's a little too fast," she said, licking her dry lips. "This is all a little overwhelming. Please try to understand."
 
The general nodded and the four men watched as the girls left, leaving them alone in the shrine's inner pavilion.
 
"Well," Jadeite said sarcastically. "That went rather nicely."
 
"Oh, shut up."
 
 
 
Chapter 36
 
They walked away, each lost in their own thoughts, each feeling the uneasy queasiness roiling about in their bellies.
 
"I'm hungry," Minako decided, tilting her head and eying up the Crown Arcade. "Anyone else up for burgers and fries?"
 
"Really, Minako," Makoto said with a grin, even as they began to cross the street. "You're getting as bad as Usagi! Imagine wanting French fries at this time of morning!"
 
"Yes," Ami was adding. "Why it is only--oh, my!"
 
Both girls turned around to look at Ami, who had stopped short. She looked up at them with surprise.
 
"Why, it is noon already!" she said, amazement in her voice.
 
"Wow! I didn't realize it was so late!" Makoto said as Minako smiled with an 'I told ya so' look at her.
 
"Now are you guys up for some food?" she asked still ginning.
 
They were surprised to see someone already sitting in their booth when they entered the soda shop, though.
 
"Hey you guys!" Usagi called out the moment she saw them.
 
"Usagi!" Makoto said as she slid into the booth next to Mamoru, pushing him closer to Usagi. "I thought you guys were going home!"
 
"We were," Mamoru mumbled as he slid over to make more room for Minako and Ami.
 
"I decided we were hungry," Usagi answered with a smile, rubbing her tummy.
 
"Well, pregnancy sure hasn't affected your appetite any!" Minako giggled as the waitress brought a tray to the table. The girl placed three of the plates piled before Usagi…and a single cup of coffee before Mamoru.
 
"You should eat something, too, Mamoru," Ami said, frowning at the cup of coffee before him.
 
"I do," he said with a smile, reaching over and snatching a French fry from one of Usagi's plates. She pouted, but smiled when he gave her a pop kiss on the cheek.
 
"So?" Usagi demanded the moment the girls had placed their orders and the waitress was away. "What happened after we left?"
 
"Oh, a little of this, a little of that," Makoto replied very nonchalant.
 
"Rei and Jadeite got into another fight," Minako giggled, sipping at her water.
 
"Mamoru," Ami asked, her manner extreme serious. "Do you remember anything about the Generals from the Earth Kingdom?"
 
He frowned and then shook his head. "No. No I don't," he said frowning harder. "In truth, I don't remember much of anything. Nothing at all except for Usagi. And even those memories are distorted and fragmented."
 
Usagi smiled up at him, lovingly, and presented him with another French fry, followed by another kiss.
 
"You girls would probably remember more about it than I would," he said, chewing on the fry. "You've gotten more of your memories back. More than I ever did."
 
Ami was frowning, though. "I don't trust them," she said softly.
 
"Oh, Ami," Usagi said sounding very sympathetic. She even put down her chocolate milkshake to look at her friend with undivided attention.
 
"I know how hard this must be for you," she started.
 
"No," Ami said, softly, cutting off Usagi's words, shaking her head slowly from side to side. There were tears pooling in her watery blue eyes.
 
"Ami--"
 
"No, Usagi," Ami said in a choked voice, a tear streaming down her cheek. "I'm sorry," she said quickly, sounding…embarrassed…scared. "I should really…go…home."
 
She had pushed off, out of the booth and was near out the door before anyone could react.
 
"Ami! Ami wait!" Usagi cried after her.
 
She tried to follow her, but Ami's lithe form was out the door and around the corner before Usagi's hunkering body managed to get out of the booth.
 
"Oh, Ami," Usagi sighed.
 
"Let her go," Mamoru said softly, squeezing her shoulders. He pulled her back into the booth and held her tightly to his side. "She has a lot to think about right now," he whispered hoarsely.
 
Usagi bit her lip but nodded. "This must be so incredibly hard for her," she murmured, hiding her head in his shoulder. She took a deep breath and then pulled back, looking straight at Makoto and Minako.
 
"Ami has been by my side longer than both of you," she said softly. "She has been with me since the very beginning. She has fought beside me and died beside me and has helped me through a lot of tough things. I owe a lot to her," she continued, looking out the window at a passing couple. "We all owe a lot to her," she added, looking back at the two girls.
 
"She fought all the generals…so many years ago…" Usagi continued, shaking her head. "You and Rei, you never had to fight Jadeite or Nephrite," she said as softly as before. "And Kunzite," she added, "That was more towards the end of that first year."
 
Usagi shook her head again as if to shake her disjointed thoughts into some semblance of order. "From the beginning, Ami has been there, faced all the monsters and bad guys with me. Even more than Rei has." She looked down at her uneaten food.
 
"Rei is strong. Ami is, too, but now... These are people who tried to hurt us, kill us, and she's being told to accept them and, and *love* one of them?" Usagi swallowed and shook her head again. "Even *I* have problems accepting it. I can't imagine what you are going through."
 
Minako and Makoto stared at the table beneath their hands, their voices silent. Usagi was talking seriously, as their leader; not just a bubble-headed girl, and what she was saying gave them all pause for thought.
 
"Please help her," Usagi said after another moment. Her voice quivered with the intensity emotion raging through her. "I wish I could…that I could be there for her…for all of you more, but…" Another tear escaped and found its way down her cheek. Her small hands rubbed her belly that was swelling with new life more and more everyday.
 
"Don't worry, Usagi," Makoto told her, reaching across the table to take her hand in her own. "We'll be there for you, too."
 
Minako smiled. "We'll help you and Rei and Ami as best we can." She winked in a completely Minako style and said, "Senshi sisters stick together forever!"
 
Usagi smiled too. She even laughed a little and thanked them both.
 
"Hey, Mamoru, Usagi, girls!" a familiar voice called out in greeting. "Still packing it away in that black hole you call a mouth I see."
 
"Andrew!" Usagi wailed as Mamoru clasped hands with his long time friend.
 
"When did you get back into town?" he asked, sliding over to make room for him to sit down.
 
"Last night around midnight," Andrew replied, sliding in beside Usagi. "I tell you, Africa is nice and all, but--Hey Usagi, what happened to you!"
 
Usagi nearly choked on the French fry she was eating…Mamoru almost spewed coffee across the table. Luckily, neither one did. Makoto and Minako were giggling like silly schoolgirls. Poor Andrew's eyes had practically popped out of his head as he stared at Usagi, or, rather, her stomach.
 
"Nothing *happened*, " Minako said through giggles.
 
"Not…unless…you count…having a baby…as something," added Makoto.
 
"I forgot, you had already left when we told everybody." Mamoru apologized, looking just a tad bit embarrassed.
 
"Heck! I'd hate to have been there when your father found out!" Andrew exclaimed, shooting a look Mamoru, whose face paled, mirror-image to Usagi's.
 
"Ex-excuse me," she said, pushing at Andrew to get free from the booth.
 
"Usagi! Usagi, wait!" Mamoru called after her. "Damn!" He looked back at the table and pulled out his wallet.
 
"Don't worry about it," Andrew said. "I'll cover you. Hey, what was that about?"
 
Mamoru looked at him and sighed. "Thanks, I'll pay you back, and," he looked at the door Usagi had rushed out. "I'll tell you later. Good to know you're back, though. Catch you later." And then he was gone, too.
 
Andrew whistled and sat back down. "So," he said, looking back to Minako and Makoto, both who looked uncomfortable. "Wanna tell me what that was about?"
 
"It's a long story," Minako hissed, clearly unhappy with the other man.
 
"That can be summed up in three sentences," Makoto added, holding up three fingers as she counted off. "Usagi's dad doesn't like Mamoru. He doesn't like her pregnant. So he disowned her."
 
"No shit," Andrew whispered, staring out the window where Mamoru was holding a sobbing Usagi across the street. "Damn," he added.
 
 
 
Chapter 37
 
 
Minako felt her hand being crushed and sighed. "Maybe this isn't such a great idea," she said, staring up at the mansion looming up before her.
 
"No," Makoto said with a shaky voice. "I can do this."
 
Minako almost giggled. She'd never seen Makoto so shaken up before. the Senshi of Lightning and Thunder, worked up over a guy was a rather normal occurance, of course, but Minako couldn't remember another time when she'd seen her friend this panicky-nervous.
 
"On second thought," Makoto said turning around.
 
"Hello."
 
Makoto stopped inches away from a very male chest. She looked up into Nephrite's smiling brown eyes.
 
"Er, hi," she managed to say after a completely embarrassing moment.
 
"Were you girls coming or going?" Jadeite asked with an amused smile, leaning around Nephrite to look at them.
 
"Coming."
 
"Going."
 
"Well which is it?" Euclase asked with a laugh.
 
"Come on in," Tellurium said, pushing past them both, two large grocer's bags in his hands.
 
"Hey, Jup, is there any chance you'd cook something for us?" Meliphane asked, passing her, also with two grocer's bags.
 
"Yea, I'm famished," Sardonyx added, passing, again with more grocer's bags.
 
"Well, er…I guess I could--"
 
"Great!" Jadeite said, pushing past Nephrite.
 
"Well, it certainly looks like you'll have enough food to work with," Minako said smiling.
 
"Uh huh," Makoto said, not at all like her cheery self.
 
"You know you don't have to cook," Nephrite said softly.
 
She looked up at him and smiled. "I know," she practically whispered. "But I like to cook."
 
He smiled. "I remember." And then he too disappeared inside the mansion.
 
"Come on," Makoto said determinedly, turning back towards the huge home. "Let's see what they've bought for us to work with."
 
"'Us'?" Minako squeaked. "Uh uh! I am not going near that kitchen! It's all you, woman!" she protested as Makoto grabbed her wrist and dragged her inside.
 
******
 
If she was nice, she would have let him know she was there…but then, girls were made of sugar and spice…
 
With a shout of surprise, he finally noticed the young woman standing in the doorway. Shaking, the pale and delicate looking man returned to the mini-bar and refilled his glass.
 
Minako swallowed her giggle as she slipped into the room. "Sorry," she offered before questioning, "What were you thinking about right now?"
 
"It doesn't matter," Zoicite replied, returning to the window to stare out at nothing.
 
"About Ami?" Minako asked daring to come closer into the room.
 
He looked at her, and with one look she felt like she'd been punched. There was so much emotion in that one look that she felt like her heart was going to be ripped from her chest. She felt tears spring to her eyes. 'Was Ami so blind?' she asked herself. But then, a second later the look was covered up and Zoicite was facing the window again. 'No,' she thought. 'Zoicite's just as damn good at covering up his emotions as Ami.'
 
"Better," he whispered hoarsely.
 
She looked up, startled. "How did you-"
 
He smiled and dragged himself over to the sofa. "Have you ever sat a just marveled at the wonder of it all?" he asked holding the brandy glass to refract the sun light. He looked at her…and then away. "To each his own. To each her own. One soul, two lives, bound, for all eternity."
 
He swallowed the remaining brandy in one swoop and winced. "Gods, that is horrible stuff."
 
"Then why do you drink it?" Minako asked, daring to sit down across from him.
 
"Because it dulls the pain," he answered with a grimace.
 
"That would be something I would expect of Jadeite, not you Zoicite," she said…and then frowned.
 
He shot her a look and smiled. He'd caught it too. "And you know us so well, do you?" He shook his head. "You should've seen him last night." His smile broadened and then he added, "On second thought, it's probably better that you didn't."
 
Minako bit her lip, not sure what to say to that.
 
"It's okay, you know," he said, setting the glass down on a side table. "You can tell me anything you want. I won't hurt you." He paused. "You can asked me anything you want. I will tell you."
 
The trust he dealt in those words would have knocked her off her feet had she been standing. Luckily she was sitting. She stared at him, open mouthed and wide eyed.
 
"Yes, anything," he answered her silent question.
 
"What was it like?" The words were out before she could think to retract them. She looked horrified, but he smiled.
 
"You mean being a woman?" he asked with a sad smile. She nodded silently.
 
He nodded his head too and looked out the window. "There is so much you girls don't remember," he said softly. He looked at her then. "I will tell you this in confidence, Sailor Venus," he said hoarsely. "They others would not be open to it as much as you are now."
 
He stood up and walked to the window that held such fascination for him. "As protectors of Earth's son, each of us were given special powers that dealt directly with four of the five elements of earth: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water." He turned around again and faced her. "The fifth element was Endymion, himself: Spirit, a union of all that was and is Earth."
 
"And you were…"
 
He smiled. "Water, yes. Fitting, isn't it? Fight fire with fire, earth with earth, air with air…" he swallowed. "Water with water." He sighed and walked over to the fire place.
 
"I think that is one of the reasons why we were so drawn to each other, the senshi to the generals…not just the bond that bound us to Serenity and Endymion, but the bond to each other."
 
"How's that have anything to do with being a woman?" Minako asked with a frown.
 
He smiled. "My special power was that of Metamorphesis." His head fell to his chest and his body began to shimmer.
 
Minako gasped.
 
"I could change into anything I wanted," Zoicite said, lifting a hand to her-yes her- chest and smoothing the front of the Negaverse uniform. "I never did look good in this suit," she said, and then her body shimmered and there stood Zoicite, the he-form.
 
Minako was shaking, almost completely terrified. Zoicite tried not to notice, but it wasn't easy to overlook.
 
"But, why--why a girl?" she finally managed to ask.
 
"That's easy enough," he replied, refilling his glass with amber liquid. "When that she-demon possessed us she reduced us to the weakest shadow of ourselves. For me, it was the female version of my self or emotion without wisdom. For Nephrite it was a shell of a man without a heart. For Jadeite it was passion without love."
 
"And for Kunzite?"
 
"For Kunzite it was strength without compassion," Zoicite answered, taking a deep breath.
 
"Ah," Minako said, lacking for anything else to say.
 
Zoicite nodded and then downed the rest of his drink. "Sailor Pluto was wrong, though," he said. Minako snapped around to face him. "We were reborn," he continued. "I remember. That she-demon did *not* get to us before." He turned to look at her. "We did not fall to her until this lifetime," he said hoarsely. "And then only because we did not know better at the time."
 
Minako digested that piece of information…and then the reason for her visit came back to mind.
 
"Zoicite," she began, nervously.
 
He smiled. "I never stopped loving her," he answered. "I couldn't stop even if I died."
 
Minako smiled, bit her lip, and nodded, trying to ignore the tears that were falling from the man's eyes. Finally she got up and left the room.
 
******
 
"Hand me those radishes, will you?"
 
"You're not seriously going to put those things in our breakfast are you?" Jadeite asked, handing her the package of reddish roots.
 
"Of course not!" Makoto snapped indignantly shaking her head. "These are going into lunch!"
 
"Oh," he replied, as if that made complete sense…and then he frowned.
 
"Here! Peel those, will ya?" Makoto thrust a bowl of potatoes at him. He looked at it, taken back.
 
"Uh, sure." He sat down at the table and looked at the bowl. How exactly did one peel potatoes?
 
"Well, don't just sit there!" Makoto snapped. "Here!" she handed him the peeler.
 
It took him another minute to figure out how to use the darn thing. Shaking his head, he swore to buy take-out for the rest of his days.
 
"So," Makoto said, moving pots on the stove. "Do you still like Rei or what?"
 
The peeler slipped, nearly slicing his finger off in the process. "Ow!" She turned to look at him and saw him sucking on his finger.
 
"I take that as a 'yes'," she said, turning back to the stove.
 
"What makes you ask?" Jadeite asked just a little sullenly, looking at his finger. Damn that hurt!
 
"Curious, is all."
 
"Like hell you were," he mumbled.
 
"Watch it!" she snapped. "Or you won't get anything to eat."
 
He grinned at her. "After I was nice enough to help you?"
 
"You mean after you were the only one left who didn't bale out quick enough," she answered.
 
"I won't be so slow next time," he mumbled.
 
"I heard that." Makoto moved one pot off the stove and moved another on. "So what are you going to do about it?"
 
"Do about what?" he asked, trying to concentrate on holding that damn peeler steady-it wiggled like a worm.
 
"About Rei!" Makoto wiped her hands on a towel and turned around to face him. Seeing his miserable progress with the potatoes she took them from him, sat down at the table, and began peeling them herself.
 
"Nothing," he answered, washing his hands off.
 
"Why not?" She set two potatoes down next to his one.
 
"Because it has never done me any good before and I don't think she's changed in the past thousand years for it to do me any good now." He sat back at the table and watched her peel one after another potato.
 
Makoto shrugged. "I don't see how it could hurt," she said, beginning to slice the potatoes.
 
Minako came in and snatched one of the slices away. "Neither do I," she said, munching on the potato slice. "Taste better cooked."
 
"Well, no one told you to take one," Makoto told her. Minako stuck her tongue out.
 
"So what's your power?" she asked, sitting down. "Fire, right? That's Rei's too. What's your special ability?"
 
Jadeite looked at her, frowning.
 
"What can you do with fire?" Minako asked. "I'm sure you remember how to do something that would impress her."
 
"Especially if it deals with fire," Makoto giggled. "Rei's a regular pyro!"
 
Minako giggled too. "So?" she asked, sneaking another slice.
 
"I don't know," he said, leaning back in the chair. "And why do you girls care anyway?"
 
"Hey! The Senshi of Love not care?" Minako asked, a hand to her chest. "You've got to be kiddin'!"
 
Jadeite pushed off from the table. "I'll think about what you've said," he said turning to leave.
 
"Oh, hey, Jadeite!" Makoto called after him. "You are coming to the Baby Shower tonight, right?"
 
"I suppose I'll be dragged along, why?"
 
"Oh, no reason," she said smiling. "Just making sure."
 
Both girls turned to each other and smiled wickedly.
 
"Do you think what we're doing is right?" Makoto asked as a second thought.
 
"Of course it is!" Minako told her, stealing another potato slice. "When's breakfast gonna be ready?"
 
 
Chapter 38
 
"Oh, this would be sooo cute!"
 
"Oh, get real, Minako! She really doesn't need another one of *those*!"
 
"Come on guys! We can't keep going over the same thing over and over again!"
 
"Why didn't she just register or something?"
 
"Why don't we just split up?"
 
Eight young women stood in a loose circle in the center of the mall. Their mission? To find last-minute gifts for a hastily arranged surprise baby shower scheduled for that night.
 
"You know, if you had given us more time," Haruka said, her arms folded across her chest. "We could have planned this a whole lot better."
 
Minako winked at her. "If I had given you more time, someone might have leaked the news!" She giggled. "I had trouble keeping Artemis from telling Luna!"
 
"Does anyone even know what to get for a baby?" Hotaru asked, twirling and strand of dark purple/black hair around a finger.
 
"Thank you," Michiru murmured as she accepted a soda from Meliphane. turning back to the group, she answered, "Baby clothes, diapers, bathing supplies, furniture, monitors, cds, bottles, formula..."
 
"What?" Haruka grumbled as Sardonyx came up beside her with his own soda. "Where's mine?"
 
"You said you didn't want one," he said, taking another sip. She gave him a 'look'.
 
"You're point?" she asked.
 
He offered her a knowing smile. "And so of course I got you one," he answered reaching over for the extra soda Tellurium was still holding.
 
"Good boy," Haruka mocked.
 
The Inners were watching this exchange closely-their faces contorted in silent mirth. Haruka turned back to the group to see every one looking at her.
 
"What?" she asked.
 
Rei shook her head and tried to get back on track. "Okay," she said. "Let's split up into groups of two or four. We can cover more stores than way.
 
"But let's met back here in two hours," Minako amended. "That should give us enough time to get everything decorated at the apartment. And Makoto still has to get the food ready."
 
They separated easily enough into their already-made groups. Ami and Rei were just starting to head off when, with a nod to each other, Makoto waylaid Rei and Minako redirected Ami.
 
"I saw Jadeite and Nephrite yesterday," Makoto said as she lead her towards one end of the mall.
 
"Oh, that's nice," Rei said, dodging a couple of kids.
 
"Yea, they're staying at the mansion…in our rooms, actually."
 
"That's nice."
 
"Are you even hearing me?"
 
"Huh? What, Makoto? I'm sorry." Rei stopped and looked at her.
 
"I was *talking* about Jadeite," Makoto said with exasperation. "I ran into him yesterday."
 
Rei looked a little pale. "Oh," was all she said.
 
"He asked about you."
 
Rei cut between two people and made it to the entrance of a small shop. Makoto dodged after her, smiling and shaking her head when she saw it was a candle shop.
 
"We're supposed to be getting something for the shower," she said, catching up with Rei.
 
"Look," Rei said, whirling, a small baby bootie candle in her outstretched hand. "Isn't that cute?"
 
"I should've known you'd try to find something to do with fire." Makoto took the offered candle and turned it upside down. "It's not very practical," she said, handing it back to Rei.
 
"Oh, posh!" Rei snapped, placing the candle back on the display shelf. "It's not everyday a senshi has a baby."
 
"It's not everyday Usagi has a baby," Makoto corrected her. Her smile faded. "Hey, I, um, kinda invited the generals to the shower."
 
Rei snapped around. "You did what?"
 
"Invited them tonight," Makoto mumbled.
 
"Well, you'll just have to go and un-invite them," Rei said, turning away.
 
"I can't do that!" Makoto said, frowning.
 
"Sure you can. Just explain to them that it's a girls-only type thing."
 
"When Mamoru, Euclase, Meliphane, Sardonyx, and Tellurium are going to be there?"
 
Rei's shoulders sagged. "Why'd you have to go and invite them for?" she asked.
 
"More presents," Makoto replied with a grin.
 
Rei sighed.
 
*****
 
"What do you think of this baby monitor? It has a range of--"
 
"Sure, Ami. How much does it cost?" Minako pushed pass her and grabbed another stuffed animal.
 
"It's only--oh, my!"
 
"That bad, huh?" Minako grinned. "How 'bout a cute little stuffed bunny?"
 
"Minako," Ami said with no lack of exasperation. "Usagi already has so many stuffed animals. She really doesn't need any more!"
 
Minako frowned. "True, but it's still cute!"
 
"Maybe we should try to look someplace else," Ami suggested, turning to leave.
 
"Oh, hey, that sounds like a good idea." Minako followed her out the store, casting side-glances at her friend as they walked the mall. "So…" she said after a couple of minutes. "What do you think of the generals?" And then she rushed on. "I'm mean, they've been practicing with us for a week now and they certainly are strong…and cute."
 
Ami stiffened. "I try not to think of them," she answered before turning into another store.
 
"Oh, come on, Aimes," Minako said smiling. "Don't you think they're just the tiniest bit cute?"
 
"I suppose they could be considered good-looking by some," Ami answered agreeably.
 
"You're not even the tiniest bit attracted to them?" Minako asked, shaking her head.
 
"No," Ami said, simple as that, as though she couldn't care less. "Look at these one-piece jumpers. They look nice."
 
Minako sighed, blowing her bangs off her forehead.
 
******
 
There is some genetically altered gene within the female body that demands for her to 'ohh' and 'ahh' when babies or anything having to due with babies are present. Put eight females in one apartment, showing off and wrapping baby gifts and you had yourself one hell of a chorus of 'ohh's and 'ahh's.
 
"Oh, Michiru! That's a great idea!" Minako cried, holding up the baby tub with all sorts of goodies inside it. "Look!" she cried.
 
Inside were bottles of baby shampoo and baby conditioner and baby body wash and baby power and baby lotion and baby Q-tips and baby bubble bath and baby water toys. In another small basket were a baby brush and comb with tiny baby barrettes.
 
"Ahh," rang out the chorus of female voices.
 
"Hey, Makoto, this was a really great idea!" Haruka said pointing at the baby-changing portable pad and the baby diaper bag. "The question is, who's gonna be using it? Mamoru or Usagi?"
 
"I got in green, so it doesn't matter," Makoto replied, laughing with the other girls.
 
"Oh, Setsuna, this is so lovely!" Minako cried, touching the delicate lace of a bassinet.
 
"I agree," the woman answered. "But unfortunately it is not my gift."
 
"That was mine," a timid little voice said softly.
 
All eyes flew to Hotaru. The girl smiled shyly.
 
"It's really lovely," Makoto said in awe. Hotaru bit her lip and blushed.
 
"These are good," Setsuna added, sorting through a lot of the baby clothes.
 
"Do you think so?" Ami asked biting her lip. "I wasn't quite sure, so I bought a variety."
 
"Yes, babes go through a lot of these tees, and these bibs are cute while still being easy to clean."
 
"The bibs are mine," Minako piped up, happy to have her gift acknowledged.
 
With all the pompous and fuss, it took the girls a full two hours to get everything ready. Makoto was a devil in the kitchen while Minako and Rei fought terribly over the decorations. Haruka helped Michiru finish wrapping the rest of the gifts, while Hotaru braved the kitchen and Setsuna faced the war raging in the living room. It was a miracle things were ready by seven thirty when the doorbell rang.
 
Setsuna got the door and opened it to eight grinning, stunning, beautiful, breath-taking men. She smiled a radiant smile and shyly accepted Euclase's easy-going kiss of greeting.
 
"Right on time," she said, holding the door open for them to enter.
 
"You would know," he smiled back at her.
 
"Um, so where should we put these?" Kunzite asked, holding up presents.
 
"In the bedroom with the others," Michiru answered, breezing into the room.
 
"And don't mess with the other ones!" growled Haruka chopping on a celery stick.
 
"Don't eat the food!" Makoto's voice yelled from the kitchen.
 
"I love what you've done with the place," Jadeite said with a raised eyebrow. "Very…"
 
"Colorful," supplied Zoicite.
 
"Not exactly my choice of words," Tellurium said smiling, looking around. "But it fits."
 
The men stared with amusement at the room before them. One side of the room was decorated with huge bows in pinks and yellows and even oranges. Streamer practically covered the ceiling and walls. The other side of the room was practically the same…only with bright reds and blues and dark purples. Balloons flooded the place, covered the floor, hung from the lampshade, taped to the walls--and in ever color imaginable: reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues, purples, and whites.
 
"Wait till they bring out the silly string," Hotaru giggled, bringing another platter of food out to place on the table already laden with ten other platters.
 
"Jup-Makoto's cooking?" Nephrite asked with a wicked smile.
 
"As if anyone else would dare to upspur our culinary expert!" Ami replied, also carrying another platter.
 
"I'd like to see them try!" Makoto said, following Ami out of the kitchen, the cake in her hands. "There!" she said with relish, placing the cake at the center of the table.
 
"Yum! That looks good enough to eat!" Minako said hovering dangerously close to the table. Makoto swatted her away.
 
"Not yet, you don't!"
 
"Oh wait!" Hotaru cried with excitement. "I see Mamoru's car!"
 
"Quick! Get the lights!"
 
"Everybody hide!"
 
"I can't see a damn thing with the lights out!"
 
"Oow! That's my foot you stepped on!"
 
"Hey, don't stand too close!"
 
"Quiet! They're gonna be here any minute!"
 
"Shh!"
 
"Shhsh yourself!"
 
POP!
 
"Aahh!"
 
"Oh damn! There went a balloon!"
 
Giggle.
 
"Shh! Here they come!"
 
The door chimed, followed quickly by several raps.
 
"Makoto?" Usagi's muffled voice came through the door. "Makoto are you in there?" she asked again after a moment.
 
"Oh, hey, Usagi! Yeah, just come on in!" Makoto called out, trying not to laugh.
 
The door swung open, the hallway light shining behind Usagi and Mamoru, shining into the dark room. A balloon bounced out of the dark to Usagi's feet.
 
"Makoto?" she called again.
 
"SURPRISE!!!"
 
It's hard to say what happened first. The lights came on. Sixteen people jumped up and screamed 'surprise'. Usagi yelped, falling back into Mamoru's arms. Everyone started laughing. A huge clap of thunder cracked outside, shaking the building. Usagi screamed. The lights flickered and then went out. And a large number of balloons decided to pop at the same time, causing all the girls--and the guys too, though they'd never admit it--to scream.
 
 
Chapter 39
 
 
Nervous laughter started up.
 
"Imagine," Makoto said, a shortness of breath in her voice. "Us, frightened by a power outage."
 
"Um, does anyone have a flashlight or something so we can see?" Haruka asked from somewhere across the room.
 
"Um, I think, er, I might have I lighter in my purse," Rei offered. "Does anyone know where I put my purse."
 
"I know I have a flashlight and some candles in the kitchen," Makoto offered.
 
"Here." A soft glow of light filled the room, causing them to shut their eyes. Gradually they could open them again…and saw Jadeite's raised fist …and…his fist was…glowing.
 
"How did you--" Rei started. He smiled at her.
 
"There are a lot of things you don't remember," he whispered to her.
 
"Jed, bring that light over here," Nephrite was saying.
 
"Coming mother," Jadeite said pleasantly enough, brushing past Rei. She gasped, his body brushing hers…and shook her head as if to clear it from cobwebs.
 
"Hey, dumpling head, don't leave the door open," Rei called softly to the doorway. "Someone might see."
 
Usagi was still standing in the open doorway, one hand pressed against her flying heart, another protecting her protruding belly. Mamoru nudged her inside the room and closed the door behind them. Her eyes were wide with fright and her lips trembled.
 
"Surprise," Minako laughed nervously. "It's a baby shower," she added. "Come on, why don't you sit down over here."
 
Minako practically shoved everyone out of the way as she led Usagi to the sofa. "There, sit." She pushed her down on the sofa and smiled at her.
 
"Here we go everybody!" Makoto called out, flashlight in one hand, candles in the other. "Pass 'em around!"
 
"Rei, you said you had a lighter?" Michiru asked.
 
"Uh, yea, anyone find my purse?" Looking around at the balloon covered floor.
 
"In this mess?" Haruka asked. "You've got to be kiddin'."
 
"Ha ha, very funny."
 
"Jed," Kunzite called out.
 
"'Jed this, Jed that,'" the person in question mocked. "Oh, alright."
 
"If you don't like it, you shouldn't have volunteered." Kunzite shot him a look.
 
Jadeite returned the look but then closed his eyes to concentrate. In their hands the candles sparked and then flared to life. The girls all gasped and Ami and Minako nearly dropped their candles.
 
"How--how did you do that?" Ami asked, clearly overcome with amazement.
 
Jadeite smiled at her and then looked at Rei. "Just a little trick someone taught me a long time ago," he told her, never looking away from Rei.
 
"But how?" Rei asked, her eyes narrowed with interest.
 
He shrugged. "There are a lot of things you girls taught us," he said turning away from her. He twirled his candle in his hands. "A lot of the stuff you don't even remember."
 
"Like what?" Makoto was quick to ask.
 
"Like stuff I'm sure we could discuss later," Euclase said.
 
"I would like to know," Usagi said softly, turning to look at them.
 
"So would I," Mamoru added.
 
Euclase frowned, but nodded…what was he going to do? Oppose his princess?
 
"Like what?" Makoto repeated.
 
"Simple things," Nephrite said.
 
"Complex things," Kunzite added.
 
"How to start a fire," Jadeite said, very nonchalant.
 
"How to put one out," Zoicite said with a smile.
 
"How to make things grow," Nephrite said, and a small vine grew out of his shirt and into his hand. He opened his hand and a small blossom opened in it. He handed the blossom to Makoto and she smiled at him.
 
"How to use the powers given us to the fullest," Kunzite said, ignoring Nephrite.
 
"Do you think--" Minako started and then bit her lip as if to silence the words.
 
"You already know the answer," he whispered to her. There was an intense moment in which no one said a word…and then:
 
"I'm hungry."
 
Every one turned to look at Hotaru, who had spoken. She looked back at them.
 
"Well, I am," she said. "It wasn't easy staying in that kitchen and not eating anything." She pouted.
 
Usagi laughed lightly. "You know what," she said, smiling. "I'm hungry too. Where's this wonderful food you promised me, Makoto?"
 
"Like you didn't see it on your way in!" Minako giggled at her.
 
"Of course I did," Usagi replied. "I've just been practicing will-power is all. Is it showing?"
 
"Admirably," answered Minako, her eyes twinkling.
 
The room erupted into conversation as everyone grabbed a plate and headed for the food, chattering happily…all except Ami and Rei, who both were frowning and strangely silent--at least for Rei.
 
And it could be noted that throughout the night both Rei and Ami could have been caught staring at Jadeite and Zoicite…if you were looking that is…and two somebodies *were* looking. At the end of the night when everybody started to get up to go, those same two somebodies noticed with delight, that Rei and Ami both allowed Jadeite and Zoicite to walk them home. Minako and Makoto smiled at each other.
 
 
 
******
 
 
Author's Note 09-09-05:
It's quite interesting rereading and revising this story. This was the first Sailor Moon fanfiction I wrote (the first fanfiction I wrote, in fact, so many, many years ago), and I find it interesting how my interpretations of the characters have changed so in the course of years. When I originally wrote this story, Haruka was the dominate character in the Neptune-Uranus relationship. I'm not sure when I began to view Michiru as the stronger, more dominate character. In the first writing, Michiru was very... weepy. Upon rereading what I had written, I found myself disgusted with who is one of my favorite characters and in serious re-writing mode. More so than the previous three parts, Part Four - Relationships has received a major revision. I hope this reading proves to be more pleasing for everyone.
Revision completed: July 11, 2006