Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Love Is Blind ❯ Invisible ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Love Is Blind

Chapter V. Invisible

By: Sailor Angie

AN: Well, I tried to warn you that this fic wouldn't be all fun and games. Lol, I never expected you guys to review in such numbers. All I can say is that if I break 100, I'm gonna seriously spazz out! Anyways, I hope you guys are still hanging on, things will get better eventually. And one quick note, I'm really not trying to make Serena out to be a bad person. Most of you reading are girls, and so you understand, that when you get involved with someone, you tend to neglect your friends. Of course you don't mean to, but it happens. Serena is not out to hurt Darien, she is simply enjoying her time with Seth, and Darien's being so stoic (like always) that anyone would have a hard time telling. I'm babbling now. R&R, even if you hate it (I got one of those for last chapter!)

*****

Darien stared out of the window at his office. It had been a week since he saw Serena, his beautiful Serena in the arms of another man. In the past few months he had talked to her almost everyday. She hadn't called him once. As far as Serena was concerned, Darien didn't know a thing about her and Seth's daily meetings. Then again, Serena had probably forgotten that he ate lunch with her assistant Mina regularly as well.

Darien turned away from the window, not wanting to see his reflection. He imagined he must look completely disheveled. He hadn't slept a wink since that night. The image of her lips against Seth's had burnt itself into his memory so much that he saw it every time he closed his eyes.

Darien wondered what she was doing at that very moment. He shook his head as he heard someone knock on the door; he turned to see Andrew in the doorway.

"You look like hell." Andrew tried to hold back his laughter. Darien rolled his eyes, "Do you wanna go out to dinner? I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Can't we talk here?"

"I guess, I just thought you might be hungry." Andrew suggested.

"I'm not." In truth, Darien had barely eaten anything in the past week, but he had no appetite for anything but her. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Serena." Darien choked over Andrew's words. Andrew eyed him suspiciously, "Is she involved with Seth?"

Darien took a deep breath, "She hasn't told me anything." He stated honestly.

"Oh," Andrew seemed disappointed, "Me either. But they are --"

"Yeah." Darien confirmed.

"Why do you think she hasn't told us?" Andrew appeared hurt, but for different reasons than Darien. "I suppose she would keep it from me if she thought I'd take her off the Lovevolves project to prevent another incident like the Heartbreakers, but she'd have no reason not to tell you."

"Exactly." Darien yawned.

The light went off in Andrew's head, "So that's why you're so upset."

"I'm not upset!" Darien exclaimed, `I'm devastated.' He said to himself.

"Okay, okay. Well, what should we do?"

"Nothing," Darien shook his head, "There's nothing we can do now, we just have to let it run its course and hope that Seth's not as psycho as Ben was." Darien's eyelids were heavy.

Darien knew sleep was a luxury he could not afford. Every time he slipped into slumber, he would dream of her dreaming of `him.' And no matter how hard he tried, Darien could not wake her up . . . she didn't want to be woken up. To Serena he no longer existed.

*Whatcha doin' tonight?/

I wish I could be a fly on your wall/

Are you really alone?/

Who's stealin' your dreams?/

Why can't I bring your into my life?/

What would it take to make you see that I'm alive?*

Eventually Serena called him, and gave him some story about being busy with work. No matter how much he wanted to be mad at her though, he could not. He knew that she had not intentionally shut him out; she was just scared of his reaction. He would reassure himself of her innocence every second. `Love is blind.' He would tell himself, `She doesn't know how I feel about her anyway. So how would she understand how much it hurts?' All Darien wanted was her happiness, although he was understandably upset that this happiness she now possessed did not include him. He wanted nothing more than to belong to her and her alone.

*If I was invisible/

Then I could just watch you in your room/

If I was invincible/

I'd make you mine tonight*

Darien knocked on the door to Serena's apartment. She didn't answer, he tried the door . . . it was open. He looked around, and found her asleep on her couch. She stirred and her eyes fluttered open and focused on him.

"Serena I have something to tell you." She still only stared at him. "Serena I'm in love with you." Darien wasn't sure why those words had slipped from his mouth. His head had betrayed him and aligned with his heart. Serena still only stared at him. "Serena did you hear what I said?"

The phone began to ring. Serena got up and walked strait through Darien.

Darien's eyes shot open, is phone was ringing. He rolled over and picked it up.

"Darien?" Serena chirped, "Did I wake you up?"

"No, err, yes, it doesn't matter. What do you need Serena?" Darien's head pounded.

"It occurred to me that I haven't been giving you much attention lately and I thought we could go out to lunch and I could explain why."

Darien rolled his eyes, "Sure." His mouth betrayed him again.

"Great, why don't we just go to the usual? Is noon too early?" She inquired.

"No, it's fine. I'll see you then."

"Bye." Both hung up.

Darien covered his face with his hands, and wondered what he had done to deserve such agony.

*If hearts were unbreakable/

Then I can just tell you where I stand/

I would be the smartest man/

If I was invisible/

Wait . . . I already am*

"Why didn't you tell me about Seth sooner?" Darien tried not to sound hurt; it wasn't working.

"I --," She stuttered, "I was afraid of your reaction." Her eyes searched his for forgiveness.

"Is he different than Ben?"

"Yes, he's far less controlling. He wants to meet you. I've told him so much about you."

"Darien leaned back in his chair. He supposed that the least he could do, for Serena's sake was meet the guy.

"We're going to a party tonight for one of Andy's bands. You could meet him then." Serena smiled.

"Alright." He gave in. He spent the next few hours wondering why she swayed him so easily. Eventually he motivated himself enough to get ready and head off for the party to meet Serena's Prince Charming.

"Darien, this is Seth." Serena introduced the two men; they shook hands.

Mina came running up behind Serena, "Urgent! Urgent Serena!" She shoved Serena's sell phone in her face. Serena took it and put her index finger up indicating she'd be a moment and walked outside for better reception.

Darien and Seth sat down at a table facing each other. Neither said a word. Seth broke the silence, "How long have you known Serena?"

"Five years, I was Andrew's college roommate, and he introduced us."

"So you and Andrew started Crescent Records together?" Darien nodded, "Then how come you're not co-president with him or something. If you don't mind me asking."

"Not at all; I just didn't want the responsibility. Also, the company is small enough that we don't need a bunch of executives. Andy comes to me for my opinion all the time anyways." Darien laughed. "Besides, I enjoy my job."

Seth's tone changed, "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Darien sipped his drink.

"I don't know if Serena wants me to know or not, but she hasn't said anything to me about Ben."

"Understandable. She was with him for a year. That's a long time, and he broke her heart. He cheated on her countless times, and when she finally caught him in the act and broke up wit him, he stalked her."

Seth's eyes widened, "I had no idea." He shook his head, "I hope you know that I could never do anything like that."

"Yeah, I do. I can tell. You are very different from Ben."

"How so?" Seth inquired.

"Well first off, we seem to be getting along. Which is something Ben and I never did. And secondly your demeanor is much more calm and rational than his. And you seem honest. Serena needs someone that will tell her the truth." Darien smiled, `So just how much do you like Serena?"

Seth's answer was cut short by Serena's hand on his shoulder, "Have you guys hit it off?"

"I believe we have." Darien got up, "Seth, it was nice talking to you. Serena, come find me before you leave, I just have to ask you some questions about the CD graphics I'm releasing." Darien waved and was lost in the crowd. He was miserable.

Darien felt Andy pat his back, "How's everything?"

Darien turned around and shrugged, "Just as I expected it to be." Darien saw Serena and Seth heading for the door and bolted, he need to talk to her.

"Just as I expected it to be?" Andrew repeated, "What the hell's that supposed to mean?"

Darien fought his way though the crowd, and yelled out her name. Serena and Seth disappeared outside, she hadn't heard him. Eventually the crowd dispersed and he found himself staring at the dozens of footsteps pressed in the snow outside, wondering which ones led to her.

Darien sighed and began walking home. He kicked the snow as he left, knowing there was not hope left. She was falling for Seth, and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

*I saw your face in the crowd/

I called out your name/

You don't hear a sound/

I keep tracing your steps/

Each move that you make/

Wish I could be what goes through your mind/

Wish you could touch me with the colors of your life*

"Where'd you go last night?" Andy waltzed into Darien's office.

"Home." Darien's gaze broke from his computer screen.

"What's up with you? You've been really spacey lately. You're scaring me."

"It's really none of your business."

Andrew perked up at Darien's response. "Okay, something is going on. You never keep anything from me."

Darien shook his head, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Try me." Andrew challenged.

"I don't have time for this. I have work to do."

"Work for me, and I say take a break." Andrew sat down and put his feet up on Darien's desk, "I've got all day." He smiled.

Darien rolled his eyes and started from the beginning. Andrew was in amazement at what had been happening under his nose.

"I had no idea." Andrew relayed, "Well it's obvious what's going on, if you've had all these mixed feelings." Darien eyed him suspiciously, "You're in love with her."

"Love." Darien chortled, "No, not love, love is the wrong word."

"Then what's the right one?" Andrew questioned.

"Certainly not love." Darien was pissed, Andrew had figured him out.

"I think you should tell her how you feel." Andrew suggested.

"It wouldn't matter if I told her I was dying. I could scream it at here and she wouldn't hear me. I don't exist to her anymore" Darien got up and put is coat on, "This is so much worse than when she was with Ben."

"Why?" Andrew asked.

"Because there is nothing wrong with Seth." Darien headed for the door.

"Where are you going?" Andrew tried to stop him.

"I don't know." Darien shut the door behind him leaving Andrew behind.

Darien walked down the streets aimlessly. He didn't even know where he was anymore. Then he spotted it.

A little girl was playing in the snow close to the curb. A car was barreling toward her oblivious to the child. Darien ran forward and shoved the small girl out of the way in the nick of time.

*I reach out/

But you don't even see me/

Even when I'm screaming/

Baby you don't hear me/

I am nothing without you/

Just a shadow passing through*

*****

AN: Invisible ©2003 Clay Aiken and all respective owners. Cliff hanger, what cliff hanger? I dunno what you're talking about. I'm really interested to know what you guys think of my `semi- song fic' style. I hope me putting these in encourages reviews. So, if you wanna be in a real live fan fiction, just click the review button at the bottom!

Aurora, Cristal-moon, Sorceress Usagi, Sailor Kitty Moon, lk, I promised a fast update in exchange for reviews, and you delivered so I did too.

Lebbie Black, DarkTenshi23, Mistress Moon, Lara1786, ThatsMsDiva2U, I am so happy that you are all so supportive of my `master plan,' It is much appreciated. And for your support, I know it's late, but this is being posted late Sunday night. Just for my loyal readers. Cuz I love you so much! (`angsty', giggles)

Silver Mo, I'm sorry you feel that way, I hope you'll continue to read, and find out what happens, even you may be surprised by the lack of `sucking.'

KELLY! (Mikahoshi11), I'm so glad you joined us. You know more than anyone how tricky I can be, and believe me I know I'll catch you off guard in this one despite your ability to predict the way my story is heading even before I do. Lol

Crystal Promise, I read fan fiction, and I know there's nothing more aggravating than stories that have such potential but are only updated every three weeks. That's why I like writing my fics (at least on paper) before I start putting them up here. I want you to know that it will be finished so you stick around!

Should I give you guys a preview, after all, what would be the point of a cliffhanger if I gave you some kind of clue as to what happens? Well, I don't fancy getting shot by rabid readers, so I suppose.

Preview: Chapter VI. Perfect Day -----

Is Darien hurt? Will he be able to get help in time if he is? When an unlikely hero shows up the situation could change dramatically. How will the players deal with these new developments? I will post the next chapter as soon as I have 50 reviews (I have 39 as I'm writing this). So that could very well be tomorrow (Monday) afternoon. You guys better get reviewing, and no doubles, that wouldn't be fair. I hope my preview was ambiguous enough for you all. Can't wait till next time!