Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Mercury Mask ❯ The Day We Met ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mercury Mask
Episode I
"The Day We Met…"
Scene I
"Explain to me again why we are at the church," Antonio said to Greg as Darien, Ken, and they walked through the large doors of the sanctuary.
Greg replied, for the thousandth time, "I told you I have to get the choir music from the sister then we can go."
Darien had to ask, "Are you in the choir by choice, or just because your mom made you?"
"Ha Ha Darien. You guys need to lay off. Just because I can sing and you can't, doesn't mean you can make fun of me," Greg was starting to get mad.
Antonio took this offensively, "Who said we couldn't."
They neared the end of the long aisle and took a right towards the church office. As they neared the door they heard a pretty voice singing "A Gift to Be Simple". Greg knocked on the door and the voice stopped singing.
"Come in," they heard a woman say.
Greg opened the door and all of them stepped inside. In front of them stood the sister and a young girl who appeared to be about Hotaru's age, with blue hair, blue eyes, and pale white skin.
'That's weird, I smell strawberries and roses," Darien thought.
"Hello, Sister, I came to get the music for this Sunday's service."
"Oh, of course Greg. You are still singing that duet this Sunday right?" she asked.
"Yes, of course Sister," he replied somewhat nervously, "Though I don't have anyone to sing with, yet."
"Ooh, now he sings solos. Hehe," Antonio taunted. Greg whacked him in the back of the head, hard.
"That's not a problem. Amanda will be your partner" The Sister motioned towards the girl.
Amanda giggled, then curtsied and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you Greg."
The Sister handed the sheet music to Greg and another copy to Amanda; "You two should probably get together and practice sometime before Sunday."
"We will," Greg and Amanda replied together. They bowed to her and left the tiny office.
"When would you like to meet?' Amanda asked Greg as they were walking towards the large doors.
"Um, how about Wednesday after school?" he replied.
"Fine with me, see you then!" she said as she ran towards the door. When she opened it she turned around, kissed her fingers and made a peace sign, "It was nice to meet you too Darien!" Then the door shut behind her and she was gone. Darien blushed a little, he thought she was kind of cute.
Then it dawned on him, he hadn't said his name, nor had anyone else.
Antonio started to wave his hand in front of Darien's face. "Hello? Anybody in there? You aren't thinking about cheating on Serena with her or something are you?"
Darien smacked the side of his head and said angrily, "No! I wouldn't do that."
Scene II
At Cherry Hill Temple (Called Hikawa Shrine from here on for the sake of my poor hands!) Amanda reached the top of the steps and walked over to pray to the gods. Raye was standing near by sweeping the cherry blossoms off the cement. Raye kept sweeping closer and closer to Amanda so she could here what she was saying.
"Please help me find a place to stay soon, Mummy seemed so worried about me coming here alone. Please don't let her worry so much," Amanda knew Raye was listening to her so she said it somewhat quietly. Raye still heard her and felt sort of bad for her.
"I couldn't help but over hear what you said and, well, you know, we have lots of rooms here if you need someplace to stay as long as you help out with chores and things like that," Raye said sympathetically.
Amanda's eyes lit up, "Really? You'd let me stay here?"
"Sure, why not, I need someone to do some of my chores anyway," she replied. They started to walk towards Raye's house, "My grandpa shouldn't have a problem with it, he always likes extra people to do chores. Especially girls… by the way my name is Raye Hino," She opened a door into a hallway and yelled, "CHAD! GRANDPA!"
Chad came out of the bathroom and Grandpa came out of the kitchen, "Yes, Raye?" they both said.
"I'd like you to meet…(thinking)…Umm…What did you say your name was?" Raye asked.
Amanda giggled and said, "You never asked. It's Amanda…Gregory." she said "Gregory" quickly, she couldn't say her real last name or she'd ruin everything.
"Uh, Yeah, Amanda, and she's going to stay here for a while." Raye said. She quickly turned around to avoid any objections.
Amanda bowed and said, "It was nice meeting you!" She turned around and followed Raye to the veranda. Raye opened the door to a small room that was empty except for a bed on the floor and a small table.
"I hope this will be alright," Raye said.
"Anything is fine, I'm just grateful you're letting me stay here. And I must mention I'm a very hard worker and an excellent cook, and I'll be up bright and early to do chores." Amanda said cheerfully.
"Ok, dinner is at six-thirty." Raye replied as she closed the door behind her.
Diary Entry #1
Date: Monday, 31 March, 1997 True Date: 31 March, 2972
Dear Diary,
I have decided to keep a diary of important events and people that I meet while I'm here. By the way everything in here is in a special code only I know and you will learn to know. I don't really understand the truth behind why I'm here. Mummy says it's because she wants me to have special training. Training, like I'm going to believe that! Sara is always telling Dan that he trains us much harder than they trained, so why would they want me to train here? And how am I supposed to train if I can't even tell them who I really am? Tricia said that if it were all right with Mummy she would tell me exactly why Mummy was so nervous and anxious to push me out when that woman attacked. I still don't get it; Sara is so protective of us, wouldn't she just use SIC if desperate times called for desperate measures? Oh well, Flame is calling me for dinner. I'll write again soon!
Yours,
Amanda
Scene III
An echoing voice said to two dark figures in a shadowy room, "I want her out of the way so that I can get rid of that Mercury twit. I want her to pay for what Queen Anna did so long ago; but I can't do that unless you get rid of the Moon Brat! She is trying to hide that little twit from me, too bad she doesn't know I can travel through time!"
One of the figures said to the voice that came from a crystal ball, "If you don't mind me asking; why don't you just kill Sailor Mercury in this time, Olivius?"
"Because, it's the revenge and pleasure of doing it that I'm after. And I want revenge on that Moon Brat too, for her mother letting such an injustice happen in the Silver Millenium! That is why Malina!" the woman's voice replied.
The other person started in, this time a man's voice, "I know what you mean. We will be glad to eliminate Princess Serenity for you. Then you can take the troops into the Solar System."
"Good, now run along now to do my dirty work Dainel and Malina." the voice said, and then it was gone.
Malina then said, "Well, on to Earth then I guess. Will we be using these to get rid of the princess?" Malina held up a cloth bag and opened it up. She poured several small marbles into her hand.
"Yes, I think those will do just fine," Dainel said in return.
Scene IV
SWISH-SWISH-SWISH
Amanda was sweeping the cherry blossoms from the cement at the temple. It was almost seven o'clock in the morning. Raye came out to join her. Amanda thought the cool breeze of the April morning felt nice on her cheeks. She noticed Raye coming up to her and said, "I don't mean to be rude or anything Miss Hino, but do mind if I leave for school now, I need to get my class schedules."
"No, I don't mind. What school are you going to anyway?" Raye inquired.
"Crossroads Junior High," Amanda replied as she ran back to the house to change into her school uniform.
A few minutes later she returned to find Raye also ready for school and decide to walk with her as far as she could. When they reached the corner where they were supposed to separate they said goodbye and headed off in separate directions.
Amanda stepped into classroom 2-4; she looked at the slip of paper the office had given to her. It said "2-4 - Miss Haruna".
As she stepped into the classroom she noticed no one was there yet except for one girl with shoulder length black hair. She introduced herself to Miss Haruna and waited by her desk until everyone was seated in the classroom and the bell rang. Miss Haruna stood up with a very confused look on her face, she was thinking, 'Where's that student teacher I'm supposed to have?' "Class, welcome to your second day of school (Or as your loving author calls it- Hell without the flames…). I expect everyone is ready for class? Good, then class this is Amanda Gregory and she just transferred here from Crysto, Wisconsin in the United States. You may have a seat behind Sammy."
Amanda spotted the empty desk in the second row and sat down. As she passed Sammy, he blushed and thought, 'She's pretty and she smells like strawberries and roses…'
Amanda took her seat and noticed she was sitting next to the girl who was in the classroom when she got there. 'Is that Hotaru? She looks so much smaller.' thought Amanda, she was beginning to space out thinking about Hotaru.
Just then the door opened and in walked a tall woman with pink meatball pigtails. She bowed to Ms. Haruna as low as she could manage even though she was about five inches taller than Ms. Haruna was, and said, "I'm so sorry I'm late Ms. Haruna, I missed the bus. It won't happen again. My name is Serenity Chiba. I'm the new student teacher."
Ms. Haruna studied her looks, "Are you by any chance related to a Serena Tsukino?" Ms. Haruna asked with a suspicious look on her face.
"No, why would you say that?" Miss Chiba was laughing nervously.
'Here we go again, another Serena with meatballs for brains,' Ms. Haruna thought, then said to the class, "Class, this is Miss Chiba, our new student teacher and substitute Phys. Ed. teacher since our full time one had that tragic accident. I hope you will all welcome her and respect her as a normal teacher."
Amanda and Hotaru perked up at the mention of the name "Chiba". Amanda looked seriously ticked off, 'Why doesn't she trust me to be by myself?!' she thought. At the same time Hotaru was thinking, 'Rini? There's no way that is Rini. But she looks exactly like her!'
The bell sounded to announce lunchtime. Amanda decided not to talk to Miss Chiba because Ms. Haruna was lecturing her about being late. So instead she walked outside and sat down underneath a large oak tree, 'Just like in the gardens,' she thought. She then saw Hotaru sitting by herself underneath another tree not more than a few feet away. She stood up and walked over next to her, "May I join you?" she asked.
Hotaru's eyes lit up, "Of course!" Amanda sat down and introduced herself. Hotaru knew who she was though because the teacher had announced it in class. Then Hotaru introduced herself, Amanda didn't interrupt knowing Hotaru would think she's weird if she did, even though she already knew a lot about her.
Sammy was standing next to Mika looking for a place to sit down with their lunches. He saw Amanda sitting next to Hotaru and said to Mika, "Let's go sit with them." He pointed at the two girls.
Mika replied, "But that girl's weird, and the other one is the new girl." You could tell she was complaining.
"Fine, stay here then." He started walking towards Hotaru and Amanda; Mika reluctantly followed. "Hi, I'm Sammy" he said to Amanda. Amanda smiled back and said, "Hi."
Sammy noticed the sweet smell again, 'Strawberries and roses,' he thought
Mika held on to Sammy's arm with a look on her face that portrayed 'He's mine'. "I'm Mika," she said somewhat coldly.
"It's nice to meet you too Mika" Amanda just kept on smiling.
"I'm Hotaru," Hotaru said quietly.
"Aren't you one of my sister's friends?" Sammy asked Hotaru as Mika and he sat down.
"Yes," she said, once again quietly.
"So, Sammy," Amanda wanted to make this conversation a long inquisition about Serena but decided to just make it a get to know you kind of thing. Mika actually started to become good friends with Hotaru and Amanda over the short lunchtime and when the bell rang they walked into the building gossiping, completely forgetting about poor Sammy.
Shortly after lunch it was time for Phys. Ed. 'Now is my chance to get to Miss Chiba' Amanda thought. After everyone was changed and heading into the gymnasium, Amanda crept up behind Miss Chiba. She reached up as high as she could and tapped her on the shoulder lightly. Miss Chiba turned around to find a very angry Amanda, "WHAT DO YOU THI--". Miss Chiba put her hand over Amanda's mouth to stop her from yelling.
"Don't yell. Do you want to blow both of our covers?" Miss Chiba said.
"You shouldn't even have a cover! You're not even supposed to be here!" Amanda was really angry.
"My mother sent me to keep an eye on you, so you don't screw up, and get yourself caught, and I'm here to finish college, the normal way," Miss Chiba replied, "We need to start class, everyone's waiting." Miss Chiba pointed to the gym and they didn't say anything else to each other that day.
Scene V
"The Earth is actually kind of pretty, for a rock." Malina said to Dainel.
"None the less, we have to find the girl who is Sailor Moon," he replied, "We'll have to be on Earth to attack though."
"Well, what are we waiting for? We're close enough to teleport," she said.
"Where should we go? We don't even know where to start looking," he said as if it were apparent.
"Tokyo, duh. That's where Sailor Moon is. Where have you been the last one thousand years?" Malina said sarcastically.
"Whatever…" he replied mimicking her sarcastic tone of voice.
Even though they were in disguise, Dainel and Malina looked slightly out of place. Though, no one seemed to mind. Malina asked "So what's this girl's name, you know the one you think is Sailor Moon?"
"Hotaru Tomoe," he replied.
Scene VI
DING-DONG
The doorbell rang at Darien's apartment. He opened the door to find Hotaru standing outside. Darien thought of this as odd and gave Hotaru a strange look as he asked, "Hotaru, what are you doing here? I mean without Amara or Michelle."
"Darien, I'm thirteen don't you think I can come here on my own to ask you something?" she replied smartly, then said trying not to sound rude, "Aren't you going to invite me in?"
"Oh, yeah,"
Hotaru sat down on the couch and Darien sat down next to her.
"So, what did you want to ask me, Hotaru?"
"Darien, is Rini back in Tokyo from the future?" She asked sounding confused.
"Not as far as I know," he replied, "Why do you ask?"
"Because Ms. Haruna's student teacher has long pink pigtails, and she says her name is Serenity Chiba."
"That sounds like Rini, except for that she's a teacher, Rini is only about ten, and she wanted to be a lady when she grew up, not a teacher." Darien said trying to remember things Rini had said.
Hotaru looked at the clock, "Oops, I was supposed to be home ten minutes ago, Amara will be angry with me for being so late.
"I'll take you home, and tell Amara it was my fault," Darien offered.
"Thank you Darien," Hotaru said.
Diary Entry #2
Date: Tuesday, 1 April, 1997 True Date: 1 April, 2972
Dear Diary,
I can't believe it! I just absolutely can't believe it! Princess doesn't trust me at all! She says Sara sent her. I'm not going to fall for her foolish lies! It's just not fair! I know she'll somehow get in the way. But there's nothing I can do. So I'll just have to put up with her for now. I made some new friends today. Sammy, Mika and Darkness (that's not her real name of course, just part of the code!). Sammy is Crescent's little brother, maybe I'll get o meet her soon. Oh I hope so! All I have is a wrinkled photo of her and Rose and all the other SS and I really want a new one with all of us in it! I have to go, Bye!
Yours,
Amanda

Scene VII
Hotaru was walking through the park with Amara and Michelle. They seemed to be enjoying themselves. Hotaru smelled every flower they walked by, and ran ahead of the other two to leave them alone every chance she got.
"So, that's the girl you think is Sailor Moon?" Malina asked.
"For the umpteenth time, YES!"
Malina looked shocked, "You didn't have to yell at me." She took the cloth bag out and pulled out one of the marbles. The two jumped in front of the unsuspecting Hotaru let out a small scream from being frightened. "Chiniko! Come forth!" She threw the marble at the ground and in a cloud of smoke a funny looking girlish youma appeared.
It pulled out a jump rope and started to skip rope, "Chin-Ni-Ko-Chin-Ni-Ko-Chin-Ni-Ko-Chin-Ni-Ko-Chin-Ni-Ko-Chin-Ni-Ko," it chanted as it skipped the rope. Hotaru didn't know that they were enemies and decided to play along, so she jumped in the rope with it. Michelle and Amara were watching from behind a bush.
"Time to transform?" Michelle questioned Amara.
"Yeah," she replied.
"Neptune Planet Power!"
"Uranus Planet Power!"
The two transformed in an array of colors.
"From the planet of the sea, I am Sailor Neptune!"
"And from the planet of the wind, I am Sailor Uranus!"
"Hotaru, we suggest you get a new playmate," said Sailor Neptune.
"Who are these Sailor Pricks?" Malina said.
Hotaru realized they were an enemy and agreed quickly, "Right!" Hotaru tried to move away from the monster, but with the flick of a wrist the monster had Hotaru tied in the jump rope.
"Chiniko! Take care of the Sailor Pricks, while I get Sailor Moon."
Sailor Uranus and Neptune looked around half expecting to see Serena, but didn't. Malina picked up the squirming Hotaru and said, "Ok brat, where's your little brooch and crystal? Give it to me!"
"I don't know what you're talking about! What crystal?!"
"Don't play dumb with me Sailor Moon! The Silver Imperium Crystal! Give it to me!"
'They think I'm Serena. Maybe I should play along.' "I forgot it at home, I don't have it with me."
By this time Chiniko had Sailor Neptune and Uranus tied up next to each other and was sitting on the ground picking dandelions. Sailor Uranus reached over and tried to hit Sailor Neptune's communicator, she missed, then tried again, "Bingo!" Uranus exclaimed quietly so that Chiniko wouldn't hear.
"What? Oh, good idea. Anybody, come in! Anybody?"
Over the communicator came Serena's sleepy voice, "What's up Michelle?'
Michelle was slightly angered by Serena's coolness, "Serena could you take a few minutes from your nap and do your job! We have a new enemy and you may want backup. We're at Fairview Park."
At the church Greg was sitting on the steps in front of the altar. And Amanda was standing sort of in front of him. They were practicing the words to "Amazing Grace". All of a sudden Greg's communicator started to beep. Amanda stopped singing in the middle of her line.
"Can you excuse me a moment, Amanda?" he said.
"Sure,"
Greg went around the corner and turned on his communicator, Serena's face appeared, "What's wrong? Is there a new enemy Serena?"
"Greg we need some backup at Fairview Park, think you can come, I know you said you were busy today but…"
"Yeah, no problem, be there in a flash!"
Greg walked back into the sanctuary as Amanda was closing her laptop, he then noticed the strange scent in the air, Amanda then said, "Let me guess, you have an emergency and need to leave ASAP?" Amanda guessed.
"How'd you know?"
"Don't worry, I have something I need to do too, ASAP!" she said jokingly, she smiled as she shoved her laptop back into her bag, little did Greg know that the conversation he had just had with Serena was on the screen. Greg picked up his book bag and started towards the door with Amanda. When they were outside Greg said, "See you on Sunday!" and he ran off towards the center of the city.
Amanda looked around to see if there was anyone nearby, there wasn't. "Mercury Mini Power, MAKE-UP!"
At the park…
Super Sailor Jupiter tackled Malina to get her away from Hotaru. Super Sailor Mercury untied the jump rope from around Hotaru, "Ready to step up Hotaru?" she asked.
"Umm huh, Saturn Planet Power!"
Sailor Moon looked at the funny looking monster, it was skipping rope again. "Don't be fooled by its playfulness Sailor Moon," said Sailor Neptune as Super Sailor Venus untied her, while Super Sailor Mars untied Super Sailor Uranus.
"Right Neptune," Eternal Sailor Moon held up the Kaleido Moon Scope, Chiniko was expecting this, "Starlight Honeymoon," FWIP, Chiniko hit the Moon Scope out of her hands, it sailed through the air until Dainel caught it. He hit it over his knee and it snapped in two, then turned to dust, and blew away in the wind.
"Stupid Moon Twit," he said. Then a rose flew by and hit him in the face.
"Ow, What the?" said Dainel. He looked up in the direction the rose came from. In the huge tree stood five shadows, and four beams of light.
"Tuxedo Mask! Sailor Knights! You came!" Sailor Moon exclaimed.
"Well, we couldn't leave you to fight alone, could we?" Tuxedo Mask said.
"It's not like you haven't done it before," she said in reply.
"Well, what are you waiting for Sailor Moon?" Jupiter Knight asked.
Dainel was getting bored, "I don't have time for Sailor Jamborees. I wanted you to put up more of a fight than this. Let's go Malina. We'll get Sailor Moon next time. Chiniko have some fun."
"Okay boss." Chiniko replied. Malina stood up and brushed herself off. Then they both disappeared.
"Uh oh," said Super Sailor Saturn.
All of a sudden a rose flew by and landed on the ground in front of Chiniko. Darien and the other Sailor Knights noticed the scent of strawberries and roses.
"Need some help Sailor Scouts?" a young girl's voice called from the large tree that the Sailor Knights had jumped out of a few moments earlier, Chiniko was distracted for the moment by the girl. She jumped down and landed on both feet. "I am Sailor Mariner! And on behalf of all in the future I shall punish all that is evil!" Everyone stared in amazement.
"Another Sailor Scout!" Everyone said at once.
Sailor Mariner looked at Sailor Mercury, "Well, Mercury, you know, if you helped me out we can get rid of this pumpkin!"
"What?" Sailor Mercury said.
"A double Aqua Rhapsody ought to do the trick." Sailor Mercury along with everyone else was still incredibly confused. But Sailor Mercury decided to go with it anyway.
The two look alike Sailor Scouts stood together and said, "Mercury, Double Aqua Rhapsody!"
With the jet of icy water Chiniko was gone. "Umm, thanks Sailor Mariner, but who are you?" Sailor Moon asked.
"Look, Let's just say I'm on the same team. For now at least. But next time it definitely won't be that easy." Sailor Mariner replied, then thought, 'I've got to act totally different so there's no connection between me and, well the other me.' She looked at Tuxedo Mask, "You're cute," she said. Darien blushed.
"WHAT DO MEAN HE'S CUTE I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE ON OUR SIDE!" Sailor Moon turned into the jealous green monster.
"See you again then Sailor Moon?"
Sailor Moon was surprised she didn't even react to her yelling, "Uh, I guess."
"Ta-ta Tuxedo Mask," Sailor mariner did a back flip over the tall bush behind her and was gone so was the sweet smell.
"Wow, that was weird," said Sailor Venus.
"She looked familiar," said Mercury Knight.
Darien said still blushing, "I have this weird feeling of de ja vous."
"Me too," said Sailor Mars.
Darien walked over and picked up the rose she had thrown and studied it. Instead of red like his it was yellow with red tips on the petals. But it wasn't a real rose; it appeared to be made of glass.
"How beautiful," Sailor Moon said, "it's made of glass."
"But it's cold like ice," Darien said.
Sailor Mercury took the rose from his hands. "Not just regular ice, Mercury ice, ice that doesn't melt," she said.
Darien took the rose back, "It may be made of Mercury ice, but can I keep it?"
"Like we're gonna care if you keep the ice rose some chick who acts like Mercury threw." Sailor Mars said.
Mercury said it more nicely, "No, we don't mind."
Diary Entry #3
Date: Wednesday, 2 April, 1997 True Date: 2 April, 2972
Dear Diary,
So SS has a new enemy and I ended up saving their butts. I have a feeling I'll be saving their butts again too. But I'll have to be careful, SM has to be different than me or they might find out my secrets more quickly. Back to the new enemy, I think they're after Crescent. So I'll keep my on her and watch her. I should give Crescent the Magic Moon Wand so she has a weapon to defend herself with. Oh well, I'll do that some other time. Maybe this is what Mummy meant by special training, fighting an actual enemy is an excellent source of fighting technique. And I have found it very amusing to act like Rose and flirt with him just to make Crescent mad!
Yours,
Amanda