Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ A Sense of Unrest ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

6/17/01

Disclaimers: This is sort of a dark AR Sailor Moon fanfic. The main characters belong to Naoko Takeuchi, not me. I hope nobody sues me for warping her intentions. I mean well. I started this project because I wanted my favorite Sailor Moon characters to have their own love story!

AN: I wrote this story 18 years ago under the pen name 'Byakko Rei'. Having lost the information for that account, I made this one. I have re-written the story to solely reflect my own vision with the exception of wyrms on Mars, which belong to Chris Davies. Hopefully, it is a better reading experience than it was before. Critique is welcomed to make me a better writer. 

Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 1 (T)
A Sense of Unrest

Usagi stared forlornly out at a dark gray sky from Makoto's balcony. She had woken that morning with a nagging headache and aching all over. Her mood matched the brooding weather as she contemplated the recent changes in her life and lover.

Mamoru had decided that it was high time he started to seriously pursue government and politics in preparation for Crystal Tokyo. He had taken up a double major his last year of University and made himself scarce. Most of his time was spent in the university library or at work. Usagi had decided the only way she could see him was to conform to his schedule. Meaning, she had to go jogging with him at 6 am and match his six-minute pace, or study at the same table in the library. She wondered if the man ever ate because grabbing a bite together was non-existent these days.

Running had never been a problem. After all, she had been racing the clock to get to school on time for years. She had been encouraged by all of her Senshi to run track in high school and actually took them up on it, thinking the form of discipline would make them pick on her less. 'The Rabbit's' record for 3000 meters stood unbeaten all four years she attended Juuban High. Of course her precedent, Haruka Tenou, still held the record for Juuban's District.

Usagi had never been an early riser, however, and since Mamo-chan's apartment was so close to the University, there had been many 'sleepovers'. She had turned 18 this past June on the thirtieth, so Mamoru had willingly consented to share his bed with her if it was okay with her parents. Their budding sexual relationship had been everything she had dreamed it would be, and more. She would often watch him sleep while in a haze of drowsy bliss before surrendering to Morpheus' realm herself. She felt so loved by him. Safe.

Slowly over the course of this new semester at University, Mamoru's temperament had become terse, impatient, and joyless. His lovemaking seemed to reflect his inner turmoil and frustration. It was painful for her, but she didn't think he meant it to be. Usagi found herself pondering their state of affairs more often than not. Were the changes in her 'rock' solely due to the prospect of Crystal Tokyo, or something more? Was it because she was old enough, now, to attend the same University he was in? Was it the thought of Small Lady that was bothering him? Tick-tock? Or maybe it was simply her.

All she knew was, that a lingering sense of doubt had begun to creep into her psyche regarding their ordained future. For the first time in her life, she felt the chill of real fear. She was afraid of... King Endymion. If the stress of what he was dealing with now couldn't be handled, what on Earth would running a new Kingdom be like for the next Millennium? She loved Mamoru; but not this way. Not like this. Usagi sighed wistfully. She wanted her old, comfortable, and cheerful 'Mamo-chan' back.

She shivered and rubbed her arms briskly as a gust of early October wind blew past her thinly clad body. A storm was brewing. Laughter brought Usagi's attention back to the living room where Mako, Mina, and Ami compared notes on their new Tokyo University instructors' idiosyncrasies while they munched on finger vegetables and Mako's 'most delectable dip ever'. The fresh air hadn't helped her sore head anyway, so she rubbed it and went to join her animated mates. She smiled at her Senshi's antics.

"I guess I'll call Rei-chan to see what Ojiisan has her doing to keep her from this meeting. He probably made her clean their furo with a toothbrush again," Usagi commented to her Senshi with a hint of amusement.

Mako snickered. "Rei-chan refers to it as a discipline, or spiritual purification, I think."

Mina groaned. "I would go crazy with all the mindless tedium she's expected to do!"

Ami rolled her eyes. "You know, Mina-chan, if you strove for the kind of discipline Rei-chan has, you wouldn't get hit by her so often during training sessions," she pointed out. "It is her focus that makes her such a strong, reliable fighter."

"Not to mention her fabulously focused temper!" Makoto grinned as she simulated a volcanic eruption with her arms.

Usagi gave her a withering look as she crossed the room to the phone and dialed the Hikawa Jinja. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong.

"Moshimoshi, Hikawa Jinja!" Grandpa's strong voice boomed over the transmitter.

Usagi cringed and held the handset away from her ear. The girls giggled as they had anticipated one of Rei's patented 'fast and furious' tongue-lashings. Usagi glared and mouthed "Behave!" at them before she responded.

"Um, may I speak to Rei-chan, please, Ojiisan?" she asked in her quieter, more conversational voice.

"Rei's in her room, sleeping. Said she wasn't feeling well." Ojiisan reported loudly.

Usagi's mouth went dry as visions of Rei shoveling snow off a jinja roof late last autumn flashed through her mind...

Usagi and Shingo had finished clearing a path through fresh snow from a freak early storm to their front door and, feeling restless, she found herself on the familiar trek to the Jinja to visit Rei. Plus she had some manga to return to the Miko. As she started climbing the stairs to the temple, she could hear the sound of a snow blower being used distantly. Yuuichiro, probably. As she got closer, she spotted her friend balanced atop one of the many sloping Jinja roofs with a shovel. It looked as though the priestess was about half-way through with the chore.

What she witnessed next was something the Senshi were forbidden to do openly. In shock, Usagi watched as her fire Senshi snuck the use of innate powers to speed her chore along while Ojiisan and the accolade were out of sight. The water from melted snow froze all too quickly into a sheet of ice in the below freezing point air. Then time seemed to suspend with impending doom as Usagi started racing towards her Senshi in slow motion. What followed could only have been termed as comedic had it not assumed such tragic proportions.

Rei had promptly lost her footing. Then, with arms a-flail and shovel soaring, the Miko slid ingloriously backward down the steeply sloping roof. Her foot caught on an ornamental post, temporarily breaking her slide, but her flung-out arm accidentally knocked the ladder propped against the eaves over... followed by her own swooping body. Airborne a second or two, the Miko landed hard on top of what seemed to be a freshly shoveled mound of snow. It was not a snow pile, however. It was a leaf mulcher. The one Rei had asked Yuuichiro to put into the shed days ago *before* the predicted snowstorm hit. The Miko lay dazed and in pain for about 30 seconds before rage set in. Usagi had arrived to help her Fire Senshi in time to hear her screaming about how the accolade was going to *wish* he was a mulched leaf before she got through with him. Yup, always blame your pain on others before yourself.

In truth, Rei had only sustained minor contusions to her backside and suffered a badly sprained left ankle. The already tightly wound priestess was relegated to an impossibly difficult invalid due to forced inactivity. The Senshi had cheerfully volunteered to do all of Rei's chores around the jinja while she recovered, but the cheer faded as an agenda-driven Miko soon made everyone as frustrated and miserable as she herself felt...

Usagi shuddered involuntarily. In a small voice she asked, "Ojiisan, Rei didn't injure herself again, did she? Th-the flu? Oh... well, will you please have her ring Mako-chan's house if she's able to? Or mine later when she wakes up? Matta ne!"

Usagi was perplexed as she returned the handset to its cradle. How peculiar... Rei seemed fine yesterday. She turned to face the rest of the Senshi who had resumed their banter. "Our Miko won't be joining us today. Grandpa thinks it might be the flu but, regardless, she told him she didn't want to be disturbed by anyone. Since she was the one who called for this meeting, I'm officially canceling it. That is unless any of you have some input regarding this unusual epidemic we are experiencing in Tokyo right now, or anything else noteworthy."

"Rei-Baka was *born* disturbed!" Mina muttered to no one in particular.

Usagi chose to ignore Mina's jibe and turned her attention, instead, to her blue-haired genius. "Ami-chan, anything from your computer that might hint at Youma involvement?"

"We only know the strange spores detected in our water supply and air exhibit bacterial properties, Usagi-chan. No Youma involvement detected by my computer, as of yet. Environmentalists are saying the problem is likely due to industrial pollution somewhere. The military is worried about biological warfare. Luna and Artemis haven't sensed any otherworldly breaches so far. But, while the number of cases seems to be dwindling, finally, with this last new vaccine attempt and with people staying indoors, we should not become complacent." Ami responded with a sigh thinking about her mother's current workload and scarcity. Ami stopped typing on the mini computer and excused herself for 'Makoto's' kitchen.

Ami returned with a box of waxed paper and tore off four pieces to distribute among her fellow Senshi. Everyone looked at her curiously and she smiled at their confusion. "My colored origami paper is still packed in a box somewhere here, so we are going to make Rei-chan senbazuru with this!"

"Mako-chan, do you have any crayons?" Mina asked innocently.

"Not recently, Mina-chan," Makoto answered dryly. "Chibi-Usa broke most of them when she was... like, three."

Usagi watched Makoto's deft fingers work for a moment or two with growing amazement. Then addressed the auburn pony-tailed girl, "Mako, has your boss decided to close shop yet?"

"Nope, Mitsuki-san says she will stay open until forced to close down. She doubts they will close food stores, anyway." She replied cheerfully. "People still need to eat, you know! Besides, everyone in our shop has already had this so-called virus and survived."

"True. Why don't we do some...umm, early Christmas shopping?" Usagi suggested while she folded slowly and carefully. She had to admit that the pressures of University life, the potential of new enemies, and boyfriend problems were starting to get to her. The vibe she got from Rei's mysterious absence troubled her now, too. Maybe a night around town would be just the thing.

Ami, having only a few more folds left to make on her crane, spared a glance at her pensive friend. "Shopping? During this craziness, Usagi? Sharing is not exactly caring right now. I don't think my mother has been home once since this whole outbreak got started! Count me out."

Usagi giggled somewhat nervously, fidgeting with her origami instructions. "I'm sorry, Ami. Your mom must be exhausted. But we are Senshi and, as you said, we can't be complacent! There could be some spore slinging Youma out there who wants to weaken our populous before they invade and take over. Plus, someone has to encourage the economy! Gaaah... you're right, Ami, it is a bad idea.

Though Rei is probably just angry at Yuuichiro and in a funk, I'm still worried about her. And since I'm feeling a little stir-crazy right now, I volunteer to go see what's up with our Fire Senshi. Maybe a little Youma shopping with me will take her mind off the Jinja."

"Oh, my brave, noble, Princess Nosy-puss! Shouldn't your bodyguards accompany you? You may need our protection!" Mako piped up with a wide grin as she completed her crane first.

Usagi poked the taller girl in the chest with a pointer finger. "Touché, Mako-chan. Grandpa did say 'Do not Disturb' but, as it so happens, I *am* 'Princess Nosy-puss' to all of you and I have the royal right to lend my disturbing help!"

Makoto laughed. "I shall remember these words always."

Looking over at the Senshi of Love Usagi added, "Believe me, I do remember what happened the last time Rei was in a proper snit. I hardly think it's necessary for all of us to get screamed at and thrown bodily out the Jinja doors! I'll page on my communicator if things go sideways."

Makoto shrugged and handed her crane to Ami. "Well, okay... it's your funeral. That girl sure needs to loosen up!"

Ami's face colored slightly when Makoto's fingers briefly brushed against her own. Makoto smiled blithely and winked at her girlfriend before she stood up to retreat into *her* kitchen, leaving the box of waxed paper for a struggling Mina. When Mako came back, she held a large 2-liter thermos in her hand, which she offered to Usagi.

"Here, Usa-chan, take some of my chicken soup to our snit-mistress... just in case she actually managed to miss getting that stupid virus we all had, it only needs to be heated up!" She furrowed her brow. "I must admit I am somewhat confused. A little cold certainly never stopped her meetings at the Hikawa Jinja. I can't see things changing now that meetings are here. She didn't seem to be off of her game during Senshi practice yesterday, either!" Mako patted the ribs on her right side.

"I know, that's what worries me. Thank you for the soup, Mako-chan, I promise not to eat it all before I get to the temple." Usagi said, taking the proffered gift from their resident gourmet chef with a cheesy grin. She sauntered over next to the front door where her book bag was propped, then grunted as she struggled to find a place in the overly-stuffed pack to shove the thermos.

Makoto leaned her lanky, powerful frame over Usagi's shoulder and remarked glibly, "You know, Princess, most people carry a separate gym bag for their extra-curricular affairs..."

Usagi muttered something about always late, how it was easier to run with just a backpack and how it also kept her hands free to smack smart-aleck friends when the need arose.

Mako backed off in mock fright while Mina snarled and threw yet another waxed paper ball accurately into the wastepaper basket across the room. Makoto noted idly that the girl never missed a 'basket' and wondered if being a good shot was especially important for those in the 'Love Profession'.

"Well, I for one hope Rei is anything but hurt... okay, I give up on the senbazuru, Ami!" Mina exclaimed and tossed the waxed paper box to Ami, who caught it expertly with one hand. "Besides, we are almost certainly making a hill of moles into a mountain! Grandpa is probably just being paranoid again. Like the time he panicked when his granddaughter locked herself into her bedroom in 'compose mode' and didn't come out to eat for half a day."

"Making a mountain out of a molehill..." Ami corrected automatically with a smile as she moved next to Mina to help her fold another piece of waxed paper into a crane. "I think this is the part you are getting stuck at, Mina-chan."

Minako giggled and sweat-dropped. "Well, better a hill of moles than a mountain of them! And thanks, Ami."

The water Senshi beamed at Mina. "No problem. I should have helped sooner. Speaking of help, the work we did for the Hikawa Jinja last year while Rei was injured wasn't thaaat bad, Mina-chan."

Mina grew fangs and her voice dripped with sarcasm as she spat, "No? You wore bandages on your hands for a whole week, Ami-chan! And I couldn't see through my puffy eyes or breathe for three days after bagging all the wet, moldy, dead leaves you raked! But you are right... the work wasn't nearly as bad as Rei-baka herself!"

Makoto tried hard not to laugh, but the monster effort only served to irritate 'the Senshi of Love' further. "Go ahead and laugh, Mako-chan, all you had to do was tie a hundred Mikuji papers to a stupid *leafless* cherry tree!" Mina retorted.

Makoto lost it then. She raised her two pointer fingers and crossed them in front of Mina's face and exclaimed, "Down, girl! 'Rei-baka' had no way of knowing you were allergic to tree leaf molds," she chortled, "and you should try tying knots with freezing fingers someday! Be grateful the snow melted so fast."

Usagi raised a hand for silence. "You know, on top of everything else going on, Rei does do the bulk of the chores around that shrine day in and day out *alone*. We don't have the right to complain about a couple of voluntary days of work there! I don't blame her for wanting to get things done a little quicker. Though, I guess in this case, 'smarter not harder' sorta backfired." Usagi scratched the back of her head and sweat-dropped. "Bottom line, our friend was hurt while trying to keep the jinja's old roofs from caving in. Maybe if we chipped in more often, she wouldn't be so crabby! Plus we should be happy to help each other."

Her Senshi bowed low to her in unison. "Yes, your majesty!" they responded dutifully, in their most contrite voices.

All four cranes in hand now, Ami took the origami birds and strung them together with needle and thread before handing the finished product over to Usagi. "Please give the senbazuru to Rei-chan for us. I do hope she is all right."

Usagi smiled at her Senshi, then bid them farewell to set out for the Hikawa Jinja. 'Do not Disturb' only meant 'come bearing gifts', right?

To be continued...

Japanese Terms

Senbazuru: prayer offering for hardship
Mikuji: paper with a printed fortune on it
Moshimoshi- telephone greeting
Matta ne- again right?