Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Chibi-Rei ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Abuse. I will apologize in advance for taking such liberties that, most likely, were not the original intent of Naoko. I aged chibi up a bit for story purposes. This is my take and rough to write, you have been warned.

Chapter 2 (M+)
Chibi-Rei

As Usagi made her way to Rei's house the skies opened up to send rain down in torrents. The wind picked up and buffeted anything remotely loose, but seemed to target her long hair and doomed umbrella. Lightening blazed to its destination and loud peals of thunder followed. Usagi was terrified and began to tremble uncontrollably in deep-rooted fear. Loud vicious storms reminded her vaguely of Queen Beryl's nightmarish storm of destruction on the Moon Kingdom, although she would never admit it to anyone. Ignoring any sensibilities taught to her about electrical storms, she decided on an all-out sprint.

Usagi was drenched and chilled by the time she arrived at the jinja's normally well-manicured grove. She passed under the Torii which signified the entrance to the Hikawa Jinja. She had only the long ascent up the tree-lined steps to go and thought smugly that even Rei wouldn't have the heart to turn her away under these conditions! Another clap of thunder jolted her into a faster pace. Usagi's heart thudded in her chest, her breaths coming in pants of exertion from burning lungs, as she sped up the last of those accursed stairs.

At the top of the stairs was the Temizuya where people could purify hands and mouth with water from the basin. Past that was a Kagura-den pavilion where Rei would perform the sacred Kagura dance, across the sidewalk from it was the administration office. Before the Heiden, where Ojiisan performed his ceremonies, were statues of Komainu sitting on pedestals facing each other. The one on the right had an open mouth, the one on the left had a closed mouth. In the Honden, past the oratory worship hall, a statue of the Kami Kagutsuchi was enshrined.

Usagi stifled a scream when the lions lit up eerily in the flashes of lightning as she made a right and down a path that led to where Ojiisan and Rei lived in an auxiliary building. She rapped sharply on the heavy wooden door at first, but when there was no answer, she wondered if she could be heard over the storm. She pounded harder and began to feel a little desperate when a lightning bolt hit a tall tree not too far away, followed closely by its corresponding crack of thunder. She raised her foot to use it when the door suddenly opened and Ojiisan's bushy white head stuck out.

"K-Konnichiwa, Ojiisan!" she greeted as she wiped a raindrop from the end of her nose.

Ojiisan's smokey gray eyes bulged in shock at the sight of one of Rei's friends shivering at his door, then narrowed as he recovered, "Does 'do not disturb' not mean anything to you?!" he asked.

Usagi's smile brightened. "Nope, I always ignore Rei-chan's threats," she answered with a giggle.

Ojiisan rolled his eyes as water dripped off the blonde's nose. "Come in, child, before you catch a cold. There are towels in the closet next to the master bathroom. Go get dry and freshen up. Rei is in her bedroom... maybe she'll let *you* help her."

Usagi deposited her soaked, canvas backpack on the floor, put her dripping umbrella in a receptacle near the door, then shed her sopping shoes next to it. She pulled the thermos of soup out and set it on the floor, then rescued the origami cranes tied around her neck from inside her shirt. They were soggy but didn't look *too* squished. Her socks made sodden tracks across the floor as she cheerfully found the promised closet. She noticed as she passed Yuuichiro's room on the way to the washroom that it had been cleared out. The accolade was nowhere to be found. "Huh, interesting."

Ojiisan and Rei's home was a mishmash of old-style and modern. The building itself was about 95% traditional. The changing room was separate from the bathroom, for example, but it had a modern-day sink, a medicine cabinet and mirror combo, and a not so traditional washer/dryer in it. The bathing room had a shower area to rinse off grime and a traditional fire-heated furo to soak and relax in. The 'benjo' was in yet another room, but they had replaced the 'squatter' with a standard porcelain convenience. Grandpa had had a small private bathroom built into his granddaughter's room, representing that 5% to the building that wasn't traditional. It was the main traditional changing area that Usagi now headed for.

Usagi caught her bedraggled reflection in the mirror and gasped. "Gaah, I look like Luna after a bath!" she exclaimed, as she took her miserable excuse for odangos out to dry her hair with a towel. She reached into her purse to retrieve her brush to use, then put her hair back into its usual style. Her nipples were visible through her wet, white button-up blouse and lacy white bra. The short cotton fabric of her pink skirt clung like plaster around her slender hips. No wonder Rei's hentai grandfather had bugged his eyes out. She didn't want to strip and use the dryer, so she opted to manifest her powers to quickly dry herself off.

Feeling more or less presentable, Usagi ran back to snatch up the abandoned thermos. She found Rei's Ojiisan in the Sacred Fire room. "Grandpa, I have some of Makoto's soup for Rei, but I think there is plenty here for you, too, if you want some!"

"I would love some!" The old man smiled. "Makoto is such an angel. I'll have to thank her when I see her next." He eyed her, "I see you are almost dry now. That's quite a storm out there. Tomorrow is another day, you know. A dryer one, too."

"I know, but something tells me I am needed now. By the way, where did Yuuichiro go, Grandpa? His room is empty."

The old man's usual unflappable cheer dampened, even his mustache drooped. "I'll let my granddaughter explain. Now, let's go find a soup pot!"

"You go ahead. I have an unsolicited appointment with a certain meeting miss-er right now," Usagi said.

"Good luck with that," the elder Hino laughed.

Usagi scrounged through the medicine cabinet and found a thermometer, then located a deep bowl, and filled it with cold water. Her pearly whites gleamed as she grinned wickedly; Rei *hated* to be fussed over! She wet a washcloth and proceeded carefully to Rei's room with her resources. She balanced everything in her left hand while she tried Rei's door. Not locked? Maybe it didn't need to be locked anymore, since the accolade wasn't around to try and sneak a peek for a naked Miko every chance he got. She quietly slid the heavy rice paper door open with her right hand. Rei lay on her left side facing the wall with her knees pulled up into a tight fetal position and her arms were clenched around her midriff. If her fire Senshi was aware of Usagi's presence, she gave no indication of it.

Usagi hung the senbazuru string from the lamp on Rei's mostly tidy desk and wrinkled her nose at the odor of alcohol. Gods. She glanced down and into the garbage can nearby. Tossed on top of crumpled paper wads were Yuuichiro's prescription sleeping pills and an uncorked liter of Nikki Yoichi whiskey... with all but the 'bitter dregs' gone. The evidence against her Senshi seemed fairly condemning. Usagi hissed to herself, "This better not mean what I think it does, Rei-chan! Ojiisan is going to rake you over *literal* hot coals if he finds out you imbibed under-age! I just may hand him some coals."

Usagi set the bowl noiselessly down on the floor followed by her handbag and knelt beside Rei's futon. She shook the mercury down in the thermometer. Not that she thought her friend had the flu anymore. But, maybe it was Yuuichiro's trashcan.

Usagi looked dubiously down at the fire Senshi, then leaned slightly over her friend's huddled form, deciding to give her the benefit of the doubt. "Rei-chan..." she whispered as she brushed damp bangs away from the Senshi's forehead and pressed her left palm against it. The fire Senshi *was* warm, but no more than usual. A small sigh escaped her. Usagi bent closer and smelt the alcohol on her friend's breath. 'Oh Rei,*why*? You just can't come to anyone for help can you,' she agonized to herself. Aloud she yelled, "Rei, wake up! WAKE UP!" She shook her Miko. "How many pills, Rei? Answer me!"

Rei turned her head slightly to regard her intruder. 'Great. It's *her*. Kami, why did *she* have to come!' she groaned internally. She knew why Usagi had come, though. And alone. When it came to matters of the heart or need, the intuitive princess could never be deceived. Or deterred. It would be pointless to lie to her less-than-happy princess. Her lips quivered as she parted them to answer and Usagi, opportunist that she was, quickly slipped a confounded thermometer under her tongue.

"Jussstaffyoo," she slurred, "Ihatethermmommthrshh!"

Usagi cupped Rei's chin in her right palm and effectively closed the patient's mouth around the glass to prevent further protestations. Usagi wagged the pointer finger of her left hand in her Senshi's red, tear-streaked face. "Uh-uh, it's rude to speak while your mouth is full, young lady!" she chastised, then reached for her bodyguard's wrist to check the pulse.

Rei's pulse was fleeting at first, then Usagi found its very slow, faint beat and counted it for a minute. That done, she rolled Rei gently onto her back with her left hand, then took the car keys from her purse which had a penlight attached to the ring. She let go of Rei's chin momentarily to hold the penlight and push her Senshi's eyelids open simultaneously. If there wasn't any brain dysfunction now, there certainly may be some later! She was relieved to see the pupils of Rei's dark amethyst eyes narrow evenly into little pin-points. 'I think Rei-chan will be all right, but it's a good thing she's a Senshi,' Usagi thought soberly as she put her keys away and recaptured Rei's chin.

Rei felt worse with each passing moment but didn't want to give her 'savior' the satisfaction of knowing that. The light that had been flashed into her eyes had *hurt*! She glared daggers back into Usagi's sapphire ones and tried to accompany it with an appropriate scowl and a few choice words.

Usagi's only response was to lean forward and smile sweetly, "Don't worry, Rei-chan, I'll let you have a rebuttal opportunity." She stroked ebony strands of hair away from hot wet cheeks.

Rei closed her eyes when she felt those caring touches. Her blood began to heat, and she willed a calm to wash over her. 'Kami, why does she affect me like this!"

Usagi placed a cool, wet washcloth onto Rei's forehead and took a deep breath. She let it out slowly in an attempt to control her own tumultuous emotions. She checked her watch and removed the thermometer. And waited.

"That pen light hurt! I didn't fall and hit my head, you Baka! Quit fussing over me and leave me alone!" Rei fumed.

Usagi ignored the Miko and rocked the glass until she found the elusive glint of silver, aware that dark amethyst eyes were trained on her every movement. She raised an eyebrow. "I would have been surprised if you had allowed a cold or flu bug to keep you from a Senshi meeting... which meant something else was bothering you. Whatever it is, I refuse to let you kill yourself over it!" Usagi proceeded to pat her friend's right hand.

Rei jerked her hand away and spoke crossly, "Please leave, Usagi. I don't need, nor want, to be rescued! No one can help me anyway. Not even you. I'm tired... so very, very tired. I'm tired of the constant work it takes to run the jinja. I'm tired of endlessly helping the needy and having bare cabinets to show for it at the end of the day. But most of all, I'm tired of fighting the wars inside me and around me. And right now, I don't want to deal with you!"

Usagi smiled brightly. "You know, Rei-chan, had you really wanted to commit suicide there are *much* more effective means available... like strychnine, or arsenic! Of course, being a Senshi, neither of those options may work, either," her grin widened to a toothier one. "You may wish you could die before long, but you're not likely to! Yup... you're going to be one sick puppy with a bitch of a hangover for all of your troubles," Usagi predicted, then leaned in conspiratorially, "But don't worry, Rei-chan, I'll take care of you despite abuse and sickness!" Her eyes twinkled mischievously. "By the way, the thermometer was just a diversion to keep you quiet long enough to determine whether or not you needed an ambulance."

Rei managed a weak rueful smile of her own and muttered, "I really, really despise you! As a nurse, you have a lousy bedside manner and as a friend, you are worse. I bet you think you have earned the right to be nosy, hmmm?" Rei was beginning to think the hospital wasn't such a bad idea...

Usagi ignored the barbs and replied serenely, "I think ultimately, as your boss, I am entitled to a proper explanation for a canceled Senshi meeting that *you* happened to call for," she pointed out. "I'd personally like to know if you have had any success finding any Youma responsible for what's been happening lately through your fire Kami."

Rei rolled back towards the wall in dismissal and screwed her eyes shut... no way did she want Usagi to guess how scared she felt! She snapped back rudely, "In a word... 'no'. I saw an obscure vision of something yesterday evening, but it didn't make any sense. I'm sorry I called a meeting for today and worried all of you by not showing up. Now that you're up to date, you can leave! I'll be fine, Odango-baka, I didn't drink much, maybe a cup at best, and there were only two pills left. Just enough to knock me out for a good long while." She could almost *feel* the blonde's hurt look in response.

Indeed, tears did prick Usagi's eyes and her voice quavered as she countered, "You are *not* fine! As your friend, I'm staying until I get to the bottom of your behavior and you are completely out of danger!" She rubbed Rei's broad back soothingly with her free right hand. "You don't have to endure your burdens alone, you know. The other Senshi and I are here for you. If you need help here at the jinja to make life easier, we will help you. But you must try to be a little more tolerant of our mistakes and silliness." When Rei remained silent, expression resolute, Usagi whispered, "please talk to me Rei-chan, don't shut me out. I really do care about you. All of us do."

Rei felt her resolve weaken... who could resist the Odango's sincerity? "I don't have much of a choice do I, Princess? You aren't going to leave until I crack." Rei grumbled dourly. Rei rolled onto her stomach and sighed audibly. She begrudgingly scooted closer to the wall to allow room for the persistent Ms. Sunshine to sit alongside her on the futon.

Usagi's visage brightened in contrast to Rei's dark scowl as she stood and stretched, then settled cross-legged beside her 'patient'. She got right to the point. "Yuuichiro-kun has gone for good, hasn't he?"

Even though Rei's raven locks blanketed her back and partially hid the Senshi's face, Usagi could still see the almost imperceptible nod.

"What happened Rei-chan? What would cause him to finally give up on a relationship with you and leave?" she prized gently, wondering if the Miko had refused to marry the older man... again.

Rei answered slowly as she fought against the mind and body numbing effects of the ingested narcotics and whiskey, "Kumada-san's father was in a car crash three days ago," she began. "He was paralyzed from the neck down, Yuuichiro-kun said, but could still speak. He wanted the conditions of his will to go into effect post haste. As a result, his father's younger brother has taken over the presidency at Kumada Enterprises and Yuuichiro is expected to act as vice president."

"How awful for the Kumada family!" Usagi exclaimed, "Poor Yuuichiro-kun... he was so happy here at the shrine. He wanted you to come with him, didn't he?"

"Yes, and no," Rei replied cryptically. "Yuuichiro did insist that he loved only me and wanted to know, once and for all if I would consent to marry him and have his children. So yes, he wanted me to come with him. I told him that, while I *might* learn to love him in time, I would never be able to bear him and his family an heir. Even if I wanted to. Yuuichiro-kun was quiet for a long time, then he handed me his whiskey and sleeping pills. His explanation was that I had been the reason for his use of them and he wouldn't be needing them anymore. Then he left. So no, he didn't want me. He wanted a company legacy, Hime, his *own* children."

Usagi didn't think her heart could sink any lower. "Th-That's just awful, Rei, and a little hard to believe. I'm sure he loved you enough to forgo blood heirs. He positively worshiped the ground you walked on. Maybe it's really just something his father wanted and was part of the conditions of the will. He'll go back to his dad and explain. His dad will reconsider, Rei-chan, you'll see," she sighed as her mind sifted through the information.

"No, it's better this way, Usagi. I didn't love him. Couldn't love him."

When her fire Senshi buried her head in her pillow, Usagi stroked her fingers through the tangle of obsidian tresses for a length of time. "Why can't you have any children, Rei-chan?"

Rei's answer was muffled by the pillow and thick with tears, "It... it's a tale that is very painful to tell. I'm sorry, Hime."

Usagi bit her lip as she felt her friend's pain and her own eyes began to well unbidden. She slid an arm around her dark-haired Senshi's waist. "It's okay, Rei-chan, you don't have to share," she soothed, tears starting to gather in her eyes. "You were right, Rei-chan, I am a lousy nurse and a lousier friend. I have been insensitive, selfish, and nosy. Worse, I have let you down."

Huh? "Wh-whaat? Usa-chan... no! You could never let me down, " Rei stuttered.

"It's true." Usagi cleared a lump out of her throat and barreled on hastily, "This... all of this..." she swept her arm from the desk area to her guardian, "I don't blame you for anything, Rei-chan, I blame myself. I failed as a friend the moment you couldn't tell me you needed help. You made a decision today based on hopelessness and hurt. And maybe you didn't *mean* to suicide, b-but it could have ended up that way on accident!" Usagi openly cried now and blubbered, "I c-could have lost you today, Rei-chan, and that scares me to death! I-I would have never forgiven me if that had ha-happened."

There was a choked sob from her Princess. 'Oh, for heaven's sake,' Rei thought as she turned her head to gape at her friend incredulously. She knew Usagi had every right to be angry at her less than intelligent behavior... but this? She sighed, "I'm the one who was stupid and selfish today, and as you can see, my Hime, not quite dead. I promise to come to you when I can't cope from now on, okay?"

Rei rolled over and sat up, rebelling against an ever-increasing mind fog. She rested her head against the Senshi of the Moon's right shoulder. Usagi's soft words and touches had already begun to affect her as a soothing balm did to festering wounds... but the warm tears that now fell from those dark pools of fathomless dark blue? *Those* were a virtual elixir to a thirsty, tormented soul! Rei let them gradually wash away the deeply entrenched barriers surrounding her vulnerable heart a layer at a time.

"Please don't cry, 'Sagi-chan, you know I hate that! You didn't fail me, I failed myself... and you. I know you care." Rei murmured into Usagi's neck. When her princess' arms encircled her, she felt a warm sense of peace drift over her. Rei wondered wistfully if her mother's arms had felt this way. She had needed somebody to stand in the gap and be a Guardian Angel for her as she grew up, someone like her Hime... but then, she did have her Ojiisan now. For whom she was very grateful.

Usagi held her dark Senshi close and pressed her cheek against her forehead. She rubbed Rei's back slowly as she contemplated where to go from there. She was certain, now, that Chibi-Rei had been traumatized far beyond her limited scope of help as a mere friend. In as much of an encouraging tone of voice as she could muster she asked, "Rei-chan, can you tell me a little bit about Chibi Rei and her mom? How she got to this point?"

Usagi had a certain child-like charm and had a way of making everyone around her feel special. Rei basked in the comfort of her Moon Princess' embrace a few moments longer before deciding that her friend deserved the truth. With her forehead still buried in her Princess' neck, she nodded reluctantly. "You're right, Usagi-chan, I do need to talk about my past with someone, and The Kami know you've proven *your* honor time and time again! I probably should have unburdened myself to you a long time ago, but I honestly didn't think that you, or anybody else, wanted or needed to hear about my history. The past is over. Also, I didn't wish for anybody's pity! Obviously, though, old unresolved wounds can resurface in the present and cause some pretty stupid decisions to be made," Rei said contritely and smiled when Usagi squeezed her.

Relieved that her most reticent of bodyguards would even consider baring her soul, she suddenly hoped that she could handle it. She smiled back faintly. "Thank you, Rei-chan... your trust means more to me than you could know! I am who I am because my Senshi believes in me. The ginsuishou brought all of us together because all of your Senshi star seeds are bound to it, but it is our love and trust for one another that allows us to be such a formidable team. It is what seems to separate us uniquely apart from this universe's adversaries." Usagi turned shining eyes on her companion. "Right now, I would like Chibi Rei to know that she should never doubt my love for her!"

Rei felt faint and her head swam. Was she really going to do this? What if Usagi pushed her away? It all boiled down to faith... "All right, Princess, I'll let Chibi Rei tell you her story," she replied reluctantly, "but first, I need to lie back down."

Usagi lowered her ailing friend gently down onto her right side and moved the pillow so that it would coincide with her Senshi's head. "Better?"

Rei smiled somewhat, wet her lips, then cleared her throat before she began her tale...

"My mother always seemed frail and, after I was born, she had a lot of miscarriages. With each successive failure, it seemed like my father resented me a little bit more. Like I was to blame for them. Then, when I was about five and a half, she finally carried a baby past the first few months.

One day, my mother told me she needed to go to the hospital because it was time for her to give me a baby brother." Rei's tears started to flow but continued shakily, "I was so excited, Usagi. I just knew he was going to be my best-est buddy ever! But something went wrong. Terribly wrong. Things got crazy in there and I was scared. My dad was screaming 'do something' over and over. I was told to stay in the chair I was put in when I tried to get near my mom.

But I saw it. There was sooo much blood. Too much blood." Rei choked. "My dad was sobbing and holding my mom. I had never seen him cry. Ever. They couldn't stop the hemorrhaging and she... she just faded away, Hime. I *watched* my mother die. I watched my father die inside that day, too. But my brother was out and all the activity had shifted to him. The doctors finally carried the tiny baby to my dad to hold. I saw my numb dad nod mutely a few times, then a nurse took my brother from my dad's arms.

There were strange people I didn't know at my house. Family I never met before. My baby brother was still at the hospital and I could only see him through a window. He was in some sort of infant ICU with lots of tubes. He only lived for about three days. On that third day, as tubes were being removed, I saw my father's heart turn to stone." Rei took a shuddered breath. "Family stuck around for a few weeks, I guess. They were kind to me. Ojiisan was one of them. After they left, my widowed father ignored me. It seemed he very definitely did not want to take care of a child alone, especially me. Embittered, he started to drink heavily. On the answering machine, there was message after message from his fellow senators and friends telling him he needed to get help before he jeopardized his career. My dad erased them all."

Rei seemed hesitant to continue, so Usagi pushed raven locks gently behind the Miko's left ear and caressed the exposed wet cheek. "He began to change, didn't he Rei-chan," she whispered.

The tenderness in Usagi's voice and touch won. Rei nodded. "Yeah. I don't think he ever loved me, though. Maybe he never loved anyone except Mom, really. He was always cold towards me, at best, even before mom died. Never showed me any affection. It was something I didn't understand for a long time. At any rate, when my father did pay attention to me it was to say I would need to do a lot more chores since Mom was gone. It made sense to me, so I cleaned dishes, separated laundry, and did whatever housework he wanted to be done. I was only punished when the things he asked of me weren't done.

My father had to leave early for work and would wake me for school before he left. I had to get myself ready on my own, which I also understood. So I poured my own cereal, dressed, then caught the bus. Everyday. I didn't dare miss the bus," Rei said wryly.

Usagi was aghast. "You were only five," she protested and handed Rei a tissue. "Why didn't he hire a nanny for you?"

"Thanks. No, I was six by then," Rei corrected behind the tissue then blew her nose. "And I have no idea why he didn't just hire a nanny. It wasn't like he was poor or anything, and there was family to call upon. I guess he was so ashamed of me, I didn't rate care. What I couldn't understand," she continued, "was why he was always saying that I was just a worthless girl and would never amount to anything. Then one day he was drunk and flat out said he wished that it had been *me* who died instead of my brother. A son *meant* a legacy. A son could become someone important whom he could be proud of and carry on the family name. Hah!" Rei snorted in derision.

Yes, Usagi had to admit the senator's reasoning *was* pretty funny in light of their roles as female Senshi. Speaking of which... "What about your martial arts training? You told me once you started when you were three. Did your father make you quit?"

"No. Strangely enough, he let me remain in it. I don't know if it was out of respect for my Mom's wishes, an excuse for bruises, or maybe it was because I kept winning and making him look good. Whatever the reason, martial arts became a major 'out' for all the anguish I felt inside."

Usagi sighed. "Your father is a fool, Rei-chan. The whole Kumada family are fools, too! I understand now." When Rei rolled over to lay on her stomach, face towards the wall, Usagi lay down next to her fire Senshi, letting her left cheek rest upon the Miko's shoulder. Usagi stroked raven locks with her right hand, eventually pushing them aside to let her hand rest on Rei's toned back. "How did you end up with your Grandpa?"

Rei smiled a little. "Do you remember that big snow storm we had when we were ten? You know, the one school was canceled for?"

Usagi did remember it. Her Dad had stayed home that day, which was a rare treat. She, seven-year-old Shingo, and their dad cleared the walkways together. The piles of snow were heaped two feet on either side of the driveway, providing perfect barriers for opposing castles. They had a 'proper' snowball fight between the 'Evil Queen' and the 'Good King's Men'. Her dad and little brother managed to pelt her relentlessly with their 'cannonballs' until the wicked lady 'died'. She was given hot chocolate to revive her, which turned her into a good queen, of course...

"Yeah, I do! The 'menfolk' and I had a big snowball fight together!"

"Well, while schools may have been closed, work for many had not. Including my father. He expected me to shovel the snow off of the steps and driveway before he arrived at home. It was really cold out, but I found that if I worked fast enough, I could break a sweat and keep warm. Eventually, I got tired and slowed down to the point where the cold began to affect me, so I went inside to warm up and eat something. I was sore all over, but my hands especially hurt. After I put bandages over my blisters, I went back outside to finish off the driveway."

Rei shifted to her right side to face Usagi so her forehead rested in the crook of her Princess' neck. "It wasn't long after I went back out, maybe a half-hour or an hour, that my father came home. He seemed to be in an unusually surly funk when he clambered out of his car with a grocery bag. He smelt strongly of 'Happy Hour' and cursing about jerks who couldn't drive in snow. Then he turned his attention blearily towards me. Since he had come home early, I hadn't completely finished his task, of course. His expression rapidly grew livid with drunken rage and he snatched my shovel from me. Terrified that he would hit me with it, I backed away... but he shoved the grocery bag at me, instead, and ordered me into the house to go start dinner while he finished the job."

"When my father finally came inside, he unleashed his fury and beat me mercilessly. I was too wiped out to offer myself any protection, and after I heard bones crack, I lost consciousness," she whispered. "When I came to, I was lying on my bed. The house was dark and quiet. Mercifully, I passed out once more. Early the next morning, when my dad shouted for me to wake up, all I could manage was a croak. He must have thought I was being insolent because he barged into my room presumably to force the issue.

He stilled his raised hand when he came within striking distance of me, then dropped it limply to his side. I saw real fear in his eyes for the first time since that day in the hospital when my mom was bleeding. Then he straightened and tonelessly told me that he would call the school to inform them I had a serious illness and would be unable to attend for a while. When dad got off the phone, he stopped by my room to tell me he was very late for work and would deal with me later. He warned me I was not to tell anyone what happened, then... without so much as a backward glance... he left me a broken mess.

I felt so alone and hurt so badly! When I was sick to my stomach and vomited blood, I knew I needed some help. There was a voice in my head that kept telling me I had to live. It became so urgent, I dishonored my father and crawled to the phone to dial 911. I-I told them I had gotten struck by a hit-and-run car on the way to the bus, but managed to get home. Then everything went black." Rei paused to wet dry lips and swallowed hard. "Could you help me to the bathroom, please, Usagi?"

"Of course, Rei-chan," Usagi helped her bodyguard up and half-carried her to the bathroom. "I-I'll go get you some water. Okay?" She left Rei to her dignity and went to the kitchen. She was trembling hard and was almost sick herself. After a few moments of deep breaths, she was calm enough to not drop a glass. She brought the water back and waited as the priestess settled cross-legged onto the futon, back against the wall.

Rei smiled wanly at her savior and reached for the glass Usagi offered. "Thank you, Hime. Sorry about that. For what it's worth, I feel better, now." Rei sipped a few times, then handed the water back as Usagi sat next to her with her knees drawn up.

"Now, where were we? Oh right, Grandpa! Well, the next time I woke up, I was in a hospital bed and my Ojiisan was there holding onto my hand. He bent close to me and whispered that never again would I be left alone, nor would anyone ever maliciously hurt me again. I didn't believe him, of course. I knew my father would find me and take me back. Only this time I was certain I would be killed for going to the hospital behind his back. If the hospital staff hadn't bought my 'hit-and-run car accident on the way to the school bus story', my father's political career would've probably been forfeit." Rei shifted uncomfortably and made grabby fingers towards the water glass with her right hand.

A few sips later, Rei continued. "Ojiisan tried to assure me that, when I felt better, I would be going to live with him at the big Temple I saw when I was four. He told me my dad needed help that would probably take a long time to fix and would not be able to take me with him. I wanted to believe my Grandpa with all my heart. The nurse came in then. She told me that I would be hospitalized for a while because I was gravely ill. There were a lot of internal injuries and broken bones. She didn't know how I had pulled through and insisted my recovery would be nothing short of a miracle. I remember feeling glad that I was so sick. That meant safety for a while."

Usagi, who had taken Rei's left hand into her right one, merely squeezed encouragingly, saying nothing while she waited.

Rei took a couple of deep breaths before speaking again, "While I was there, I was seen by a plethora of doctors. Pediatricians, psychologists, psychiatrists and all manner of specialists for Kami knows what. I think even your mother came to see me, Usagi," she laughed. "I don't remember ever being the center of so much attention before, or since!" Rei grinned ruefully.

"I was finally moved to recovery and the specialist who had examined me most regularly came in, one day, with some charts to talk with me privately. She told me that what had happened to my mother was very likely to happen to me when I grew up. She showed me a meaningless fuzzy anatomy picture and said I had inherited my mother's thin uterine walls. Like that meant something to a ten-year-old! After showing me a few more pictures, the lady doctor said she was very sorry, but in her professional opinion, it would be extremely difficult for me to come to term or give birth." Rei sighed and brushed a stray tear from Usagi's cheek. "The only thing I really understood out of all that mumbo-jumbo, was that what I saw when my brother was born could make me dead, too.

When I was released, Ojiisan took me to the temple, as promised. Then the years of my Shinto 'purification' began and, eventually, a priesthood at the Hikawa Jinja. When I asked Ojiisan why my father hadn't come for me, years later, he only said my father had been admitted into voluntary rehab at the urging of his councilors. It was when Ojiisan was awarded sole custody over me that I finally understood why my father was so indifferent towards me.

I'm a Hino through my mother's family, Usagi. My father took her last name. The Hino's could pay for his schooling, had political clout, and the respect that came with Shinto Priesthood. Grandfather would be the last surviving Hino unless my parents had a son. They got me. After he cleaned up and washed his hands of me, the great Senator Takashi Hino's career really took off. Daddy dearest only visits on my birthdays, now, when he remembers it. A true paragon of virtue. The rest you know," Rei finished quietly.

Usagi hugged her raven-haired Senshi close and let her tears mingle with those of hers. It dawned on her, then, that Ojiisan really was all the caring close family Rei had left in the mortal world. Rei's father was a misguided self-absorbed man and had a lot to answer for, but he was still her dad. "Maybe someday your father will regret what he did to you and say he is sorry," she said in a small voice.

"It's okay, Usa-chan. Really. I couldn't care less for the man. As far as I'm concerned, Grandpa is my real Dad." Rei responded drowsily.

"Rei-chan, I know you are fading fast, but are you hungry? Mako made you some chicken soup. It might help."

Rei smiled, "I think tomorrow will be a better soup day, Hime. All I want to do right now is sleep."

Usagi giggled. "Alright. Do you need help getting to the bathroom?"

"Naah, I'm good. Just need to brush my teeth," Rei said.

"I'll see myself out, then, Rei-chan." Usagi turned to leave her bodyguard's darkened room slowly and suddenly felt a hand on her wrist. A small whispered voice.

"Stay."

To be continued...

Japanese Terms

Torii: arch-like gates at a Shinto shrine
Temizaya: pavilion for ritual purification
Komainu: statues of lions that guard the purification waters
Haiden: hall of worship
Honden – the main hall, enshrining the kami
Kagutsuchi- Fire God. The patron deity of blacksmiths and ceramic workers
Konnichiwa- 'good day' greeting used between 10 am and 6 pm
Benjo- squatting toilet
Furo- public wooden hot tub
Senbazuru- origami cranes strung together as prayer offerings or given for hardship
-sama- a suffix used to denote one greater than oneself
Chibi- runt
Hime- princess

Martial arts I toyed with giving just to Rei-

Kendo: 'to improve oneself through the study of the sword'

Shinto Ryu Iaido: drawing the blade and cut, finishing a cut, cleaning the blade, and returning the blade to its scabbard, all without looking away from your opponent.