Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Ojiisan ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 3 (T)
Ojiisan, A Lonely Man

Usagi turned to face her fire Senshi at the sudden retention in surprise. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure, Hime," she whispered. "Please stay with me tonight. I don't want to be alone. Not tonight." Rei's amethyst eyes were liquid.

"I will, then," Usagi replied softly and smiled tremulously. "I really didn't want to leave you like this anyway."

The priestess smiled back. "Good, then it's settled. I need to use the bathroom, then I'll set some sleepwear out for you before I drop." Rei turned back towards the bathroom she had been heading to and partially closed the door.

Usagi left the dark environs of Rei's cave and went to search for Ojiisan. She found him in the Fire room sweeping the floor.

"Well, how is my stubborn granddaughter?" The old man looked anxiously at her. "You were talking with her for a long time, Usagi!"

There was no way Usagi was going to tell him his granddaughter had taken sleeping pills and washed them down with whiskey. The truth would probably kill him. Or... he would kill her. Neither scenario was very desirable.

Usagi swallowed a sudden lump in her throat. "She's umm.. she's sick to her stomach. Her head looked like it hurt, but she didn't mention it."

Grandpa sighed. "Maybe it's from nerves, then. If so, she has let her teachings lapse. Yesterday, my accolade talked to Rei when she got home late in the afternoon. After they talked at length, he shoved his hands in pockets and came inside to pack. Rei just stood where he left her with her head down. Then Kumada-kun came to talk to me. He said he had to leave to go help run his family business, then explained what had happened. Yuuichiro must have spoken to Rei again right before he left. He was sooo sad, Usagi. I'll miss him. I really hate losing a good accolade, but a man has got to do what is right.

My granddaughter was real quiet after that. She did her chores, then told me she didn't feel well and wasn't hungry. I just figured she was upset over a break-up and didn't pry. When she didn't come out of her room for breakfast, I got worried and knocked on her door. She told me, then, that she thought she might have the flu and not to come near her. I wanted to call a doctor, but she said 'no', she would be fine. She didn't want her sleep disturbed."

Usagi smiled brightly at the elder priest. "No worries. Rei-chan should start to feel better by tomorrow sometime. She was brushing her teeth when I left her. She asked me to stay the night, Ojiisan. I've, umm.. already had the flu, so it's okay. I can keep an eye on her if you'll let me stay."

Ojiisan pointed in the direction of the hall. "I'd really appreciate that! There are extra futons and quilts in the changing room closet. You should call your mom... it's almost suppertime and we don't want her to worry, do we?" His dark gray eyes took on a new sparkle.

Usagi accepted his gracious offer and while she was on the phone, Ojiisan answered a knock at the door. She watched him disappear into the kitchen and come back with a small bag of flour. 'Hmmm, so!' She quirked an eyebrow. After she hung up with Ikuko, she asked Ojiisan if she could fix something to eat for the two of them.

The Grandpa grinned delightedly. "I would love that!" he exclaimed.

Usagi pointed to the window where the rain fell against it in sheets. "What's growing in the garden at this point in time, Ojiisan?"

Rei's grandfather managed to look like a petulant little boy as he and Usagi donned some rain gear. Usagi followed the priest out to where Yuuichiro had tended the temple's vegetable garden and after they made a few selections, they headed back into the house. They laughed about how they would hardly have to wash anything.

Ojiisan then showed her where everything was in the kitchen. Since it was pretty meager fare, the preparation didn't take long. It was apparent neither grandfather nor granddaughter cooked much. Or had much to cook.

Usagi wasn't exactly the consummate cook Makoto was, but she could make do with what she found, thanks to her own mom. Soon, Ojiisan was happily eating fish, rice, fresh salad, and cantaloupe for dessert with green tea.

"Oooo, Rei would have really enjoyed this!" Ojiisan enthused.

"I don't think Rei-chan could keep *manna* from heaven in her stomach right now, Ojiisan," Usagi remarked dryly. Then, more seriously she inquired, "Ojiisan if something should happen to you, what would become of Hikawa Jinja? Of Rei-chan? Have you made any provisions?"

Rei's Grandpa nodded. "The temple would be fine. I have merely been assigned here as its head priest by the Order. On Rei's behalf, I had a couple of options. My wife and I did have other family members. I had a brother at the time, my wife had another sister and two brothers." The old priest grinned, Rei has lots of cousins, actually. If I died before Rei was 18, I wanted her to have the kind of stable, loving environment she deserved and perhaps a cousin her own age to grow up with. There were a few choices on that front who were willing to be her legal guardian. Or she could stay with a friend. Rei didn't really seem to have friends from TA she wanted to bring here. Not until you, Ami, Makoto, and Mina stepped into her life."

Ojiisan couldn't even *begin* to tell Usagi how grateful he was for the small nucleus of friends his granddaughter now had. Ojiisan's chin trembled a bit and his eyes threatened to spill the water in them. He wiped a moist eye, then regained his composure and continued, "Did you know that I asked each of your friends' and your own parents when Rei was 14 if they would consider being Rei's fukei should the unthinkable happened to me?"

Usagi sucked her breath in sharply. "Really? What did they say? I mean, all of us would have loved to have Rei as a real sibling!"

"Mina's parents and Ami's mom all said guardianship would be no problem at all. Your parents said they would want to adopt. Ikuko was particularly close to my daughter." Grandpa was sad for a moment. "Of course, none of it really matters now, Rei is 18 and my heart's still ticking!" He thumped his chest proudly.

"If I were to die now, our Shinto order has already agreed to send a Guji to *help* Rei run the Hikawa Jinja should she wish to continue her priesthood. They would not interfere with any policies I have already taught her as a tradition for the Shinto fire god Kagutsuchi," Ojiisan explained. "The Guji would resume and support my teachings until Rei became fully trained and ready to be the Jinja's Guji herself."

Ojiisan puffed his chest out, then smiled proudly. "My granddaughter has surpassed almost all priests, I included, in her ability to communicate with the Kami and read the sacred fire for foresight! She possesses extraordinary insight on spiritual matters... almost as though she were innately blessed by the Kami. Because of her educational background, she has already achieved her First-grade status and attained her Meikai ranking, and before she even turned 16! She has also mastered all the disciplines of ninjutsu and Shinto martial arts handed down for centuries by the priesthood. Rei seems to be truly gifted!"

'If Grandpa only knew', Usagi thought...

Ojiisan positively beamed. Grandparents! Hoping he wouldn't mention that Rei walked on water, too, Usagi rolled her eyes and interrupted, "Ojiisan," she began politely, "is Rei-chan ready to take over for you at present?"

Grandpa came back to earth. "She lacks only to fully learn all of the festival practices and the logistics to run a Shinto jinja. Rei could be Guji of Hikawa Jinja now if she pushed for Johkai, but I think she believes she is too young for such responsibilities and wishes to earn the respect of her older peers." Ojiisan smiled widely. "Only Rei stops Rei, but I happen to agree with her."

After they finished their food, Usagi was pensive as she cleared everything away and washed the dishes. Was it really because of her Senshi status that Rei-chan had not realized her dreams to be a fully dedicated Chief Priestess at the Hikawa Jinja? Was being Guji really a dream of hers? So many secrets and as many questions.

Usagi went to check on her fire Senshi and found her still breathing. She eyed the gossamer, lavender, thigh-length gown laid out for her and smirked. How very 'Rei'. Usagi quietly slid the heavy rice-paper door shut, then did what indoor chores there were to do for her friend. Happy, the blonde spread her homework out on the floor in front of the sacred fire. When her book work was finished, she asked Rei's grandfather if Yuuichiro had left any of his guitars behind. She only had her music work left to do and her Les Paul, amp, and headset were at home. While she *could* work on her piece at Rei's baby grand, she preferred the comfort of a guitar.

Ojiisan smiled. "No, but you are welcomed to use my old one. Rei won't touch it... she says she prefers the piano. I'll be right back!" he said with excitement. He was absolutely radiant when he returned.

Usagi appraised the dusty, battered case clutched in his calloused hand and arched an eyebrow. "Make much money on the streets?" she deadpanned.

Grandpa laughed merrily. "No, people loved to hear me play, but clicked their tongues and shook their heads in pity when I tried to sing! Go on, girl. Open it up!" the elderly man urged.

Usagi laughed, then raised the dusty, worn lid, and stared. This was a classical, six-stringed one and, boy, he hadn't kidded about the 'old' part.

Usagi looked curiously at the luthier's label inside which read 'Masaru Kohno 08' 1970. Wow. She knew Mr. Kohno had died in 1998, not too long ago. Her eyes watered as she carefully lifted the instrument out of its weathered home. This was a real keepsake.

Ojiisan had watched her reaction closely as she inspected the label and was not disappointed. He bowed towards Usagi. "Usagi, I would be honored if you would accept the Kohno as a gift from me and my family," he said softly. "If you want it, that is. Might need some work..."

Usagi gasped and her hands froze on the instrument. She straightened respectfully as "I couldn't, Grandpa. It wouldn't be right. Rei-chan should have it!"

Ojiisan waved a dismissive hand at her. "Rei said it would be wasted on her, Usagi. I actually bought the guitar for my musically inclined wife, Akemi. She taught our daughter, Risa, how to play and eventually gave it to her when she constantly found it in the girl's room. Since they have both... passed it has just collected dust. I think both of my 'girls' would be honored if you played it and loved it as much as they did." Ojiisan bowed to her. "Please take it."

Usagi formally returned his bow. Ojiisan was offering her something that he would have only considered giving to another family member and she was deeply touched by the gesture. "If it honors your family, I humbly accept," she replied in awe.

Usagi examined the guitar more carefully. It was polished and in good condition, but not mint. It had been played a lot. It sorely needed new strings, though. Luckily, she found coils of 'new', unused strings in the case. She quickly restrung the guitar and took a few minutes to tune it. A sigh escaped her lips as she strummed and picked the guitar lovingly. She played "Wylde Mountain Thyme" in Scott Tennant's arrangement for Grandpa.

The old man, just cried until the song ended. "I've never heard that guitar sound so *good*... you truly have a wonderful gift! "Does the song have lyrics?" Grandpa asked.

Usagi nodded and grimaced ruefully, "It does, but I have a terrible Scottish brogue."

Ojiisan laughed, "This isn't a street performance, go ahead and sing it."

'Wylde Mountain Thyme' (The Corries)

Oh the summertime is come'n
And the trees are sweetly bloomin'
And the wild mountain thyme
Grows around the bloomin' heather
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

And we'll all go together
To pull wild mountain thyme
All around the bloomin' heather
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

I will build my love a bower (summerhouse)
By yon cool crystal fountain
And round it, I will pile
All the flowers o' the mountain
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

And we'll all go together
To pull wild mountain thyme
All around the bloomin' heather
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

I will range through the wilds
And the deep glen sae dreamy
And return wi' their spoils
Tae the bower o' my dearie
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

And we'll all go together
To pull wild mountain thyme
Far around the bloomin' heather
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

If my true love she'll not come
Then I'll surely find another
To pull wild mountain thyme
All around the bloomin' heather
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

And we'll all go together
To pull wild mountain thyme
Far around the bloomin' heather
Will ye go
Lassie
Go?

"That wasn't too terrible," the priest grinned, "if I had a yen to put in your cup, I would."

"As it happens, I have no cup, but I thank you for the sentiment, Ojiisan. This instrument has such a beautiful sound." Usagi smiled softly, "the song would sound better if Rei sang it, though." She sighed, then got to work on the composition for her music class.

Ojiisan watched in amazement as the beautiful blonde girl wrote piano scores then scribbled the words below the notes. Then she played. His heart swelled to incredulity. That song you're composing is so full of spirit... almost like an Irish ballad. What are you going to title it?"

Usagi answered him without pause in her scribbling and play, "Thank you, I thought I might call it 'Road to Promise'. Her eyes crinkled around the edges.

Ojiisan scratched his chin, mustache twitching, and looked at the words. "That seems to fit." He gave her an impertinent look. "It's about my granddaughter, isn't it? You really do love her, don't you?"

Usagi chuckled then. It was really about her own ascension to Queen, the birth of Crystal Tokyo, and her apprehension of both. It was about a life shrouded in secrecy and written as a love song to whom she would protect. She gazed up at him from where she was sitting on the floor and answered him, "In a roundabout way I guess it is... and yeah, I really do love your granddaughter. She's very easy for me to love... she's my best friend," she replied. "Ami, Mako, and Mina love her, too."

Ojiisan said mischievously with a wink, "I would never call Rei 'easy'! She's stubborn as a mule and proud as a peacock," then more seriously, "I'm glad you are able to love her despite everything. She has been through a lot and needs someone to care about her besides me."

Usagi leaned forward with a secretive expression and asked suspiciously, "Is this your sneaky way of saying that you want me and my friends to stick around for her sake... or for yours?"

"Hehe, hehe..." Ojiisan looked a bit sheepish. "Am I that transparent? I had to try, did I not? How good are you and your friends at making charms?" He grinned and ducked under her hand swipe and quipped, "I could teach you how to improve your aim, you know."

"My aim is just fine, thank you very much!" Usagi glared at him and retorted, "And while I might be able to put up with Rei, you are an entirely different matter!" Usagi stuck her finger in his chest. "By the way," she went on smugly, "your granddaughter thinks I'm a nuisance and can't stand to be with me for more than five minutes before picking a fight. Staying here would be the death of all of us!"

Ojiisan pouted. "Well, I think I'll retire to my room to sulk in private. Konbanwa!" He took her hand and kissed it.

Usagi giggled. "Konbanwa, Ojiisan, I'll see you for breakfast... my treat, you old mooch!" She bent forward to plant a kiss on her host's silver head fondly and laughed again at his blush. "I'll not stay up much longer."

To be continued...

AN: The Braes of Balquhither" by Scottish poet Robert Tannahill (1774–1810) and Scottish composer Robert Archibald Smith (1780–1829), but were adapted by Belfast musician Francis McPeake (1885–1971) into "Wild Mountain Thyme" and first recorded by his family in the 1950s.

Japanese Terms

Fukei: guardians
Guji: Chief Shinto Priest
Kagutsuchi: a Shinto fire god
Konbanwa: good evening
Meikai Rank: the priesthood rank below the last achievable rank (Johkai).