Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Queen Serenity ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

This is a history drawn from mythologies and intertwined with Naoko's characters to drive the story. Please forgive my liberties once again.

Chapter 4 (T)
Queen Serenity: A Lesson in History

Usagi finished her homework and found her groove on Ojiisan's old Kohno and played some non-schoolwork stuff for awhile. Around 10 pm, she heard Grandpa turn in for the night and put everything away.

In the stillness of a slumbering home, Usagi sat and faced Rei's sacred flame. She clasped her drawn-up knees and lay her chin upon them. She closed her eyes and felt the early October chill and rain of the day, that had threatened to seep into her bones, begin to melt away. She enjoyed the cheery crackle that brought warmth and a woodsy smell. As she thought about the day's events, she began to concentrate on her mother and felt the ginsuishou warm on her bosom, then grow brighter.

"Oh, Mother, I need you so much right now! I'm so confused about how I feel about Mamoru... and Rei-chan, too. I wish you could help me!" Usagi whispered wistfully. She didn't really expect an answer, yet surprisingly, the sacred fire grew bright and the air shimmered between it and Usagi. She shielded her eyes until the shimmering stopped. When she opened them again, the spirit of Queen Serenity stood before her. Usagi's sapphire eyes moistened as she beheld the vision that was her true mother.

"You came!" she whispered incredulously.

"Yes, darling. You have reached a major crossroads in your life and I have been anticipating a plea for help from you for quite some time," the Queen affirmed mysteriously. Queen Serenity's fingers touched Usagi's pale hair, as the fire's colors of light flickered and reflected in the waves of platinum blonde. 'My daughter looks so run down and so... disturbed,' she thought sadly.

"Mother, the bond between Mamoru and I has changed somehow. I can still feel it when he is in trouble, but when I am with him I can't feel his emotions, his heart, or the bond we had anymore. It's as if he's a different person... a different soul. He has become so self-absorbed and there doesn't seem to be room for me anymore. He claims it's only temporary and things will normalize once he gets through this last school year. For now, he is just very, very busy. He says he still loves me, but when he wants to, um, sleep with me, it's more like 'have sex' instead of 'make love' and he... it hurts me sometimes. I still find him attractive, but the appeal to stay with him forever the way he is now, has waned." Usagi's tears began to fall as she hiccuped, "I-I feel so selfish and I don't know what to do about this shame."

Serenity folded her daughter into her arms and let her cry.

Usagi sniffled a little and her voice became soft, "Then there's Rei-chan." Usagi wiped her eyes. "I have always had deep emotions for her that are inexplicable. She affects me like no one else... it's as though her soul and Mamoru's soul are almost identical. The way he used to be. I have always been attracted to, and drawn to, both until now." Usagi's eyes warmed as she spoke, "When I hold Rei-chan, Mother, I feel such incredible warmth and tenderness. It feels sooo good, so right... and familiar, somehow. Like an old friend that's come back. Rei is an incredibly strong individual, yet these feelings make me want to love and protect her with all that is me. It's so incredibly confusing, Mother." Usagi's eyes brightened as new tears pooled in them. "I don't think Rei shares my feelings at all, though." She stated forlornly.

Serenity grasped Usagi's shoulders and held her at arm's length. She smiled warmly at her confused daughter. "Perhaps I can be of some help if I explain what has happened to Mamoru," she began, "but first, I'd like for you to have something I found in the ruins on the moon where your bedroom... was. " Queen Serenity handed Usagi an ornate metal box about the size of a boot box, but a tad longer. She watched in amusement as her daughter turned it around and searched for a way to open it. "It's voice-activated with a password given by yourself, I have no idea what it might be." Queen Serenity offered mischievously.

Comprehension was reflected in Usagi's face with an 'oh' expression. "I guess I'll try to figure it out later then," she said with a sigh as she put it into her subspace pocket. "I would rather hear your explanations right now, anyway." She looked at her mother expectantly.

Queen Serenity nodded, then began her history lesson...

"Many millennia ago the Goddess Selene, daughter of Titans Theia and Hyperion, fell deeply in love with a mortal shepherd named Endymion. Selene most desired for Endymion to share her immortality, so she asked Gaea to help her. Gaea looked upon Endymion's comeliness and found favor with him. She agreed to help Selene.

Gaea spoke to Zeus who agreed to grant Endymion one wish. The young shepherd chose eternal youth. So it came to pass, that Gaea blessed the mortal with eternal youth, and the impassioned Goddess Selene bore him fifty daughters. So moved by the love was Gaea she went on to deem, by an oath, that the Earth and the Moon should forever be linked together by destiny.

Endymion, however, had no way to protect his youth. So Gaea granted him access to the powers of her Earth through a 'star seed' and named him as her avatar for Earth. The golden crystal, kinsuishou, was created by Gaea as a means to control Earth's powers and was given to him to keep and protect. Access to Earth's power was to be naturally transferred to his firstborn."

Serenity looked away from Usagi and towards the fire. "The shepherd Endymion became like a god in a mundane land where magic was all but forgotten. He was elected King and ordained by the people of Elis. The Golden Kingdom of Earth was born and he ruled with power and fairness.

I am the Goddess Selene, my daughter, and it was because of my love for a mortal that Gaea chose me to be the liaison between mortal Mankind and the Gods. To appease magic-leery humans, she renamed me 'Queen Serenity' and the Moon Kingdom was born. Gaea ordered me to unite and rule, over the remaining eight solar planets and moons governed by magic, thus creating the Silver Millennium.

To protect and ensure peace, the ginsuishou was created by Hephaestus to control the powers from all the planets, except for Earth. It was given to me in addition to my Goddess powers and would also be naturally transferred to my firstborn.

All the planets in our solar system have innate powers from a God or Goddess. As Gaea chose a protector for her Earth, each of those Gods or Goddesses collectively chose for themselves a protector to be their planet's avatar. Star seeds were bestowed upon the chosen to bind their spirits to the ginsuishou and provide an access to the respective planet's power. Those eight avatars would become my ultimate protectors. In the event of a 'Senshi' death, their star seeds would allow them a means of rebirth.

After the birth of the Silver Millennium was realized, King Endymion asked for my hand in marriage, as was the custom for Earth, and we were betrothed. We agreed to rule together as Gaea had predestined. Together with our two crystals, we were to form a united and formidable team. Earth would be, once again, a place where God and man could commune together.

One day as King Endymion passed through a small sheepherding village, he espied a young maiden so beautiful he instantly fell deeply in love with her. She was none other than the beautiful, enigmatic daughter of Chronos and the Titanide Themis... the avatar of the planet Pluto and Gatekeeper of Space-Time. Setsuna had been compelled to investigate a disturbance in time on Earth. In truth, Moirai had meddled in our affairs and engineered their encounter. It was they, The Fates, who soul-mated the two together.

After Endymion learned from villagers where the beauty lived, he disguised himself as a local shepherd boy and made haste to woo the dusky, green-haired girl with the garnet eyes. As the Fates would have it, she fell in love with the handsome shepherd and they lay with each other. Neither of them ever told the other who their true identities were.

Pluto, daughter of Chronos and Seer of time, soon discovered the deceitfulness of King Endymion and his infidelity to me. Allied to me through love and respect for my sovereignty, Pluto was heartsick and angry. When Endymion found Setsuna had become impregnated, he gave the kinsuishou to her as a token of his love and to regain her favor. She was to give it to her... son.

It was because King Endymion mysteriously lost his ability to control the Earth's powers, it enabled Metallia to penetrate Elia's defenses and begin the corruption of political upstart, Lady Beryl, which led to the eventual demise of the Silver Millennium. So you see, it was Endymion and Pluto's own tryst that had caused the time distortion!" Serenity took a moment to let the irony of it all sink in.

"Pluto feared she would have to destroy her unborn baby to maintain the original timeline. But she could not; she truly loved Endymion and wanted his child. Though her heart was broken and her soul in agony for Endymion, she took herself and the kinsuishou out of the timeline. She had hoped that, by removing herself from the Silver Millennium, Endymion would, in time, forget about her and find happiness with me... thus fulfilling his destiny. "But the kinsuishou was never meant to leave planet Earth or the timeline."

Nine months later Setsuna gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. She named her... Makaria. Earth's powers were naturally transferred to the firstborn and Makaria now had the means to control those powers through the kinsuishou. Pluto began to train her new daughter in the ways of a Senshi and gave her knowledge of Gatekeeper responsibilities."

The former Silver Millennial queen cast a sorrowful glance at her 18-year-old daughter. "What Pluto hadn't realized was, that the damage for me had already been done; for I had witnessed the union between her and the shepherd boy. The disguise was not very original and I recognized King Endymion immediately.

I had followed him to his destination covertly. I hid in the shadows under Hecate's waning moon, and by the faint moonlight, I watched as my betrothed took another. In their moment of ecstasy, I heard her cry out and I knew then who she was. I cursed in the name of Hecate and fled back to my Moon Kingdom," her voice trembled slightly and Usagi moved to comfort her.

"Oh, Mother... I'm so sorry. In the face of your suffering, I've no right to complain about my own trials and tribulations," Usagi said miserably as she wrapped her arms around her Mother.

Serenity pulled away reluctantly and smiled. "Let me finish. It wasn't *all* tragedy!" Usagi wiped her eyes and waited for her mother to continue.

"As the magic of my sister, Eos, manifested and faded, the reins were handed to my brother Helios... and the sun rose. King Endymion sent the huntress Artemis to find his betrothed when she did not meet with him at the appointed ceremonial time. The Goddess found me, but could not comfort me, for that was not her greatest asset. She sent, instead, for her twin brother to heal my wounded soul... the handsome, golden god Apollo.

When I looked upon him, I fell immediately in love with him and he with me as, once again, The Fates meddled in our affairs. It seemed the Moirai sisters Atropos, Clotho, and Lachesis had their own ideas about myself and Endymion. And on that day, they were non-negotiable. I understood at once Endymion's helpless passion and I believe I forgave him at that moment."

"Apollo and I enjoyed each other for many years." Queen Serenity searched the face of Usagi, a tender smile playing upon her lips. She brushed a stray bang from a bright blue eye. "You are the result of our union, my beloved princess. I think you are blessed with his finest qualities. Your gift for music and ability to heal souls are from him."

The Goddess Selene turned her gaze to the fire, her voice reflected a hint of bitterness, "Our relationship was not to last, however. Zeus terminated it while you were yet a babe. He himself had fallen in love with me and had become jealous of my relationship with Apollo. Zeus forbade us to be together after that.

I was devastated, but the polygamous Apollo had already moved on. I, like Pluto before me, was heartbroken and plunged into my duties to rule the Moon Kingdom and oversee the Silver Millennium with vigor.

Meanwhile, King Endymion ruled over the Earth Kingdom and, in time, married the Lady Cynthia who bore him three sons and a daughter. The Earth kingdom joined the Moon Kingdom's Silver Millennium and would go on to rule peacefully as separate, but united, Kingdoms joined by destiny as ordained by Gaea's original oath. Though we held no resentment for one another, we never slept together again."

She paused briefly. "They named their firstborn Paeon. To the people of Elis, he was known as Endymion the Younger, the powerless heir to the Earth Kingdom. Years later it would be through Paeon's political clout and lack of magical power that would draw the brash young Lady Beryl's attention to him. She used her wiles any way she could to sway him and his court over to her radical agenda. She was the perfect vessel for one of Chaos' minions."

"Mother," Usagi whined, "I know all about *that* history!"

The queen grinned ruefully. "Do you? Still my same impatient Princess! You were born about five years after Paeon. I was overjoyed and loved you more than life itself. I knew you were special from the very start. While Zeus didn't dislike you, he didn't exactly love you, either. So I bore him his own children. You have two younger half-sisters through Zeus whose names are Pandia and Ersa. Zeus seemed satisfied with my progeny and asked no more of me.

When you were but a few months old, I took you with me to seek out Setsuna. I needed her to understand that I blamed her for nothing. It had been the Morai sisters who were at the fault. I wanted desperately for my Senshi of Pluto to rejoin the timeline. With the use of my powers, I finally found her.

Outside our time continuum, Makaria had grown to become a lovely young woman. As our souls touched, hers was like that of my beloved Apollo's. I fell irrevocably in love with her and she with me. She and I joined by a blood oath, which my 'moon sister', your aunt Artemis, presided over. If Zeus knows of the relationship, he has never stepped in to stop it. Pluto has, in deference to her Queen, let it be."

Usagi felt her cheeks redden. She had known her mother and the Senshi's Silver Millennial combat trainer were close... but never realized *how* close. Her mother had denied all of the many marriage proposals, she reflected. In truth, it had become an enormous source of entertainment for the Senshi; particularly for Princess' Haruka and Michiru.

"...At some point," Serenity was saying, "Makaria was visited by the priest of Elysium, Helios, who told her the golden crystal King Endymion gave to her mother for the birth of 'Prince Endymion' was meant to be guarded by himself." The Queen paused, "when Paeon was a young boy, Makaria and I went to Elysium and gave the tainted kinsuishou to Helios." Queen Serenity laughed, but her derision was in self-deprecation. "Setsuna only knew what was destined to happen. Whether her daughter kept the crystal or gave it to Helios, the events to come would play out the same. She allowed Makaria to go."

Usagi listened spellbound to her mother, then ventured, "Why did Makaria feel compelled to give Gaea's power to Paeon if the ginsuishou was rightfully hers?"

Serenity sighed and took on a pained look before she answered soberly, "Makaria truly felt remorse over her half brother, Prince Endymion, and the abuse he took from his father. Because of her, 'Endymion the Younger' was denied access to Earth's powers and Gaea's kinsuishou erroneously. Makaria wanted to restore the original balance of the timeline by giving the son of King Endymion his rightful heritage. She simply had no desire to rule herself."

"When Queen Beryl attacked the Earth, Prince Endymion had no knowledge of Helios' implantation of the golden crystal within him. Neither Endymion the Younger nor Makaria had the aid of the kinsuishou, and all of us died that day," Queen Serenity stated soberly. More relevant now, though, I know with Makaria's rebirth the kinsuishou was returned to her as firstborn." She swiped at a stray tear off of her cheek and gave Usagi a watery smile.

Serenity's eyes smoldered with emotion. "Makaria sacrificed *everything* to come during this timeline out of love and remorse towards her half-brother, Paeon. You know the Prince Endymion as Mamoru in this timeline. Though you were not my lover's, but mine through Apollo, Makaria loves you like a sister and respects you as her half-brother's intended. She also felt that by coming during this time frame it would make her mother, Setsuna, happy.

Sadly, Makaria thought that only the kinsuishou's powers of Earth would be restored to Prince Endymion. She didn't realize that both powers, those of Earth *and* those of Pluto, had fused together to become, in essence, *her*." Serenity gave Usagi an apologetic look. "Mamoru, being only a demi-god, because his mother was mortal and his father's powers were granted unnaturally by Gaea, he received powers he couldn't process. His soul had to change in order to accommodate the powers of Pluto or die." Serenity observed the look of sadness that filled her daughter's face.

"Do not fret, my sweet," she soothed, "neither he nor his current powers, are evil. However, his soul will no longer be mated to yours it will, instead, be bound to that of Pluto, just as the tinkering Fates had planned in the past. He will have considerably more power now and, though a fraction of your own, it is not unlike yours. I personally feel Makaria, being half-goddess, could have wielded and controlled the kinsuishou's power far more effectively, but I'm rather partial to her." Serenity winked at her somber daughter.

Usagi was not amused. In fact, her stomach felt like a lead weight had settled into it and her heart was exceedingly heavy as her lips moved slightly to murmur in a halting whisper, "Chibi-Usa... those garnet eyes." She closed her own, not wanting to see the terrible truth in her Mother's eyes. Nor did she want to hear her suspicions be voiced.

"She is Setsuna's second daughter by Endymion the Younger. Small Lady will be raised by Endymion and Setsuna. She will become Earth's Senshi plus have the unique ability for time travel. Makaria had already been groomed to be a Senshi of Pluto." Serenity turned away. "I do not know what has become of my beloved now," Serenity said softly, a troubled look about her eyes. The room fell silent momentarily, save for the crackling of the sacred fire as the queen regained her composure.

"The Earth's power and the kinsuishou were designed, by Gaea, to compliment my powers and the ginsuishou's power of the Moon. The golden crystal is what allows Chibi-Usa to transform the way she does with you and why Mamoru becomes Tuxedo Kamen." Queen Serenity's blue-gray eyes glinted at Usagi. "In the event that you should choose to rule with Mamoru, you would raise Small Lady together. You will be like her mother because Pluto has other duties and can not always be there for her."

Usagi felt as though the real world, as she knew it, had crashed and burned around her. Her heart was pounding and as the room tilted dizzily, she felt trapped upon a surreal carousel ride. She became nauseated from the adrenalin rush and swallowed hard. She squeezed her eyes tightly shut in a panic as her knees began to buckle. Her mother lowered her to the floor and felt gentle fingers brush the sudden beads of sweat away from her forehead. The touch calmed her and brought her attention back to the present.

Serenity held her daughter close and rocked her a few moments. "I'm so sorry, Princess. This has been so hard for you and such a shock. Setsuna sees many timelines and, even I, do not understand all of her machinations. Meioh-san was afraid Mamoru's connection to you could be damaged and wanted to prevent the power transfer from the modified kinsuishou... even if it meant her own daughter's death. But, Setsuna arrived too late to stop the transfer and her wrath was great. Now the damage has been done to both Makaria and her half-brother. And you."

"I do know that Pluto has sworn fealty to you and loves you very much, Angel. Never doubt that. Endymion and Neo Queen Serenity's survival, Crystal Tokyo's existence, and the birth of a new Moon Princess, is paramount to Setsuna. It means more to her than her own happiness, even if it dooms her to a life without Makaria, whom she also loves as the womb fruit from her first true love. However, Makaria is also a constant painful reminder of the tryst that caused a major timeline distortion. Sadly, Setsuna still thinks of it as something that should not have happened and feels responsible for... everything," Queen Serenity added with regret.

Usagi wept silently for her dear friend, Setsuna. Wiping her eyes finally, she asked, "Mother, what am I to do? It all seems hopelessly out of control! Has the ginsuishou's connection been severed from the kinsuishou now?"

Serenity answered her in a gentle voice, "No, Princess, the two crystal powers will always complement and augment each other. But understand, it is the Moirai sisters who determine which *souls* are compatible with a bond. They are both meddlesome and capricious. No god, or goddess, can control their schemes; not Gaea, Hera, Zeus, *or* the daughter of Chronos and Themis with time manipulation. Fate is simply out of anyone's control." Queen Serenity gazed into those brilliant, deep sapphire blue eyes so like those of Apollo's, then touched the pale gold hair so like her own.

"As you know, destiny bonds also exist. It is that bond you still share with Mamoru. Destiny bonds are oaths, or vows, granted to you by a god, or goddess... most notably by Gaea and Artemis. They are forever sacred. To break such an oath may incur the wrath of any invested Deity, which means you risk a curse or certain death. In your case, you are bound by destiny to rule with Endymion by Gaea's original oath to me. You will always be connected to him in this way."

Usagi spoke up hesitantly, "S-so I am destined to marry and rule forever with someone whose soul now belongs to another? Mamoru can't truly love me anymore, can he? I'm afraid... he will always be as he is now," she ended in a whisper. Usagi's spirit began to break by degrees as she accepted her fate. 'This hurt... it must have been how Rei-chan felt.'

Queen Serenity felt miserable and looked so. "Yes, darling, that is your duty. It is the only option for Crystal Tokyo here on Earth and, as far as I know, for the continuity of Serenity princesses," came the soft reply. Serenity reached for a platinum lock, but Usagi moved her head away, her face the picture of anguish. She dropped her hand and observed her only daughter by her beloved Apollo in silence. She considered the alternative solution carefully before she spoke again as calmly as she could.

"There is one other option, precious, but the journey would be just as hard. You could restore the Moon Kingdom with help from your Senshi and resume solitary rule, as I did, over the Silver Millennium and her planetary constituents. In doing so you would still fulfill destiny by a harmonious rule with Endymion's Earth."

Usagi's lips trembled, "Rule alone?"

"Yes, My Heart. But if two mated souls are unbound they may be joined together by blood bond oath. With Prince Endymion soul-bound now to Pluto, the Moirai seem to have granted you another mate. An old soul whom you have always felt."

Tears sprung to Usagi's eyes. It would explain so much if it were true. There was something important skirting around the recesses of her mind, but there was an impenetrable veil of thick fog surrounding it.

"My feelings for the protector of Mars..." she whispered. "The Fates?" Usagi's shoulders drooped dejectedly and she cast her eyes down at her lap forlornly. "Mother, Rei will never agree to be 'mated' to me. She is a Shinto priestess in this timeline. One who is steeped in tradition and very principled. Even if she did return my love, she would never allow herself to indulge in an *act* of love with me."

Serenity gently placed a finger under her daughter's chin and lifted it so they could see eye to eye. "I believe your heart is pure, Usagi. It has not betrayed you. Don't be so sure of Rei's convictions without first finding out the truth. She seems very much like her mother. Your love and patience will be well rewarded once she learns to trust you. She'll be a fierce protector and loyal without fault. She will also make for you a most passionate, yet gentle, lover." Serenity winked.

Usagi blushed significantly and bowed her head. "Mother?!"

The Queen laughed. "You would be the last Serenity princess, however, should you choose to rule alone... barring some quirk of The Fates, of course. I would be happy to preside over either your marriage vow to Endymion or a blood bond oath to your remaining soulmate. Destiny can be fulfilled in either case. You must decide the manner in which it takes place." The Queen rose to her feet, lifting Usagi up with her. "I must go now, Love, my energy weakens... choose well and be happy." Serenity's voice quieting as her body began to glow.

"Mother, wait, please! Who are Rei-chan's true parents?" Usagi entreated hurriedly.

"Artemis, Goddess of the hunt and chastity, and Hephaestus, God of forge and fire," came the breathy reply as Queen Serenity became more ethereal.

Knowing *something* of mythological legend, Usagi was stunned... "But how?" She squeaked. Queen Serenity smiled at her daughter's confusion.

"Ares tricked his brother, of course! He put Artemis to sleep with a strong potion, then disguised her with a hairpiece made of soft corn silk. He then smuggled her into Hephaestus's bed so he could consort with the fiery god's wife, Aphrodite. Hephaestus, smitten by his reposed 'wife's' unusual beauty, lay with her.

When the virgin Artemis found herself mysteriously pregnant she suspected Ares was involved, because of his well-known dalliances with Aphrodite, and confronted him. Ares confirmed his trickery proudly, and when Artemis would have killed the fetus in a fit of anger, Arch-Mage Hecate of the new moon intervened and begged her sister to let *her* carry the baby to term and raise the child as her own.

Apollo was summoned, in his physician capacity, to transplant the child into Hecate's womb." Queen Serenity's eyes were alight with mischief as she gazed upon the fairest of her many daughters. "Apollo and I conceived you not long after... as fate would have it!" she added saucily.

Serenity's smile widened. "When the beautiful baby girl was born, Ares, who fancied the infant as his greatest achievement, named her Diana to deliberately humiliate the now not-so-virgin Artemis.

Diana possessed the beauty and temperament of her mother and a heart as big and kindly as her father's. She showed great skill with weaponry and control of fire that almost rivaled Hephaestus' and became a fierce warrior and hunter like Artemis.

When Arch Mage Hecate carried Diana in her womb, her blood and magic nurtured the babe until her birth. Diana was inundated with magic after birth and Arch Magi Hecate had to teach the youngster how to control her considerable passion and to use her sorcery with goodwill.

Ares adored the formidable Diana so much, he later named her as his avatar to Mars." Serenity's voice was but a faint whisper as her benevolent image faded from Usagi's view. Only the words, "Beware the wrath of Artemis...!" hung in the air as the Queen's voice trailed off.

Usagi's throat constricted so tightly, she could scarcely breathe. Her mind reeled as the foggy veil dissipated. Memories from a long-forgotten past era tumbled rapidly back to her in a kaleidoscope of images. Usagi pitched forward as she lost consciousness.

To be continued...

Japanese Terms

Ginsuishou: silver crystal
Kinsuishou: golden crystal
Makaria: blessed Daughter of Hades according to Suda, no mother is given
Kamen: mask