Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Briareus ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 10 (T)
Briareus, an Echo From the Past

Rei's communicator went off at around 2:00 in the morning. Ami appeared when Rei answered. "Senshi training ground, hurry!"

Rei propped Usagi up with pillows and prayed she would be all right. She slipped silently downstairs because she hadn't wanted to leave Usagi's window open. She disabled the house alarm the way Usagi had shown her and left the door unlocked. She darted behind some bushes and transformed.

Mars arrived at the same time as Tuxedo Kamen and Jupiter. Venus and Mercury had already gotten there and faced a very confused hecatoncheires. He identified himself as Briareus and demanded to see 'The Fair One who holds the power of justice'.

Ami's computer was linked to Artemis' computers in the Lunar command center and it was only with the aid of the two felines they were able to translate the ancient tongue of the gods. Mercury assumed he meant the Goddess Themis and stepped forward to speak to Briareus in his own tongue. The water Senshi gently explained to him that all of Titan and Olympian Gods existed as spirits only in this time period and were their allies. The Senshi were the last remnants of the immortals left to champion their world in physical form.

"What manner of foul magics have pulled me from guarding the Bronze Gates of the Underworld? Where is Hecate?" His many voices boomed.

Venus approached the huge monstrosity with fifty heads and one hundred arms, cautiously. "I am sorry for your plight, Great Briareus. We have no quarrel with you and do not wish to fight you. However, we have no means to send you back to your gates, at present. Finding a place to hide someone as colossal as yourself until we can find a way to send you back will be difficult." She finished in sympathy.

Understanding the hopelessness of his situation, he would go down fighting. The giant roared in his many voices. "If you cannot return me, I name you an ally of The Titans and mine enemy. I will destroy those who protect the Titans in the name of our mother, Gaea!" He began to unleash his fury upon the Senshi by hurling magical boulders at them.

The outer Senshi arrived just as the first blasts from the inner Senshi hit the giant from all sides unannounced. The outer Senshi added their greatest attacks into the fray, except Saturn, who used a lesser attack.

When the dust settled, the monster sat on the ground stunned. His many eyes blinked a few times and then he slowly stood, completely intact. Mercury quickly analyzed his make up and instructed everyone to switch to Kendo versus magical attacks. The monster howled as the Senshi quickly began to sever arms and heads with their swords.

Venus was sent flying, but excelling in gymnastics, she gracefully did a flip and landed on her feet, sword swinging.

Mars performed Kuji-Goshin-Ho and shouted: Rin, Pyou, Tou, Sha, Kai, Jin, Retsu, Zai, Zen! Akuryo Taisan! She threw multiple ofuda scrolls to paralyze the giant. Briareus was stunned long enough for her to hack eleven heads off single-handedly, her countenance terrible to behold through the spray of blood.

Tuxedo Kamen wielded his sword mightily at the monster's midsection in an attempt to find his heart.

Uranus had dispatched about twenty-something arms with the same alacrity as Mars had.

Jupiter had meanwhile discovered, to her delight, the monster was not exactly immune to electricity. She repeatedly electrocuted his torso, between sword thrusts. When his heart quivered in arrhythmia, Briareus screamed in agony.

Mercury sprayed her fog which temporarily blinded him and thus allowed Tuxedo Kamen enough time to finish his attack. The monster's torso was cut in half, which severed the lower half from the top. Briareus gave up his soul to beloved Gaea and died.

Venus surveyed the dispatched monster's aftermath. "Poor lost brute. My guess is he had no idea how to return to where he came from and was stuck here in this timeline. Perhaps Pluto could have helped him had she been here. How on earth could this have happened?" The Senshi leader shook her head sadly. "Let's clean up this mess and get out of here before we attract attention, folks." She ordered.

The Senshi used their powers to clean up the area. Mars burned the bloody remains which caused a stifling stench to fill the air. Uranus controlled the wind to dispel the odor, then Neptune and Mercury washed all the blood away. The Senshi detransformed and began to leave the area.

Tuxedo Kamen laid a hand on Mars' shoulder. "Where is Eternal Sailor Moon?" He asked.

The fire Senshi shrugged his hand off with disgust and turned to face him. "I think if you truly cared, you would have bothered to call or visit Usagi at her home. If you had, you would know she is in bed fighting for her life. Her body was so taxed trying to repair the damage inflicted on her by a certain someone, it didn't have enough resistance left to fight off a simple cold. It moved right into her chest. Rei backed away from Tuxedo Mask.

"I would call, but she told me not to. She said she would call me." Mamoru defended himself.

Mars' lips curled with scorn. "I don't blame her. If you tried to do to me what you did to her, your manhood would be non-existent right now. You don't deserve to breathe the same air she does!" Mars hissed at him, "but as it happens, some of the last intelligible words she uttered, were to request that you and Setsuna pay her a visit together when her mother would allow it. It seemed important enough to her, to become anxious about it. I suggest you find Setsuna and be prepared to make a house call." Mars turned a heated glare upon the masked man.

"By the way, while Usagi may graciously forgive you and absolve you from any wrongdoing, I cannot. I promised, in deference to her, that I would not punish you. But I swear to the Kami, if you lay one false hand on her and I find out about it, I will hunt you down like a common beast. You will wish you were in Tartarus with Briareus keeping guard against your escape. Got that, Mr. Chiba?" Mars turned on her heel away from him. After a few paces, she turned her head back. "Don't ever touch me again. You sicken me!" She snapped, then sped back to the Tsukino's. She left behind a perplexed and demoralized Tuxedo Kamen.

When Mamoru detransformed he looked around and found himself alone. It seemed Rei had become his rival, after all. He wished he hadn't obeyed that flat inner voice that had lured him to the Hikawa Jinja on a premonition. On that day he witnessed Rei seeking to know who her soulmate was in the sacred fires.

He had clearly seen the vision of Princess Serenity adorned in her most regal attire. Rei had been faced away from the fire at the time, as she fought with a demon that suddenly spawned in the fire room. He had thrown his rose at the shimmering vision in the fires, almost certain Rei had not seen it before he dissipated it. He wished, too, that he hadn't teased her about the fiery spawn.

The Earth prince was miserable. He had driven Usagi away, alienated himself from Rei, and had generally made a mess of his life. Mamoru hadn't felt like himself in weeks and wanted to curse his new powers. He realized that while the power was a part of him, it wasn't who he was. Just as the ginsuishou was not who Usagi was. If she could learn to control and live with her power, he could too. He would have to. He had nobody to blame but himself for his troubles, nonetheless, they were still confusing and he was unable to figure out what to do about them.

He blew his breath out forcefully and watched it curl away in the dim streetlight. He crossed his arms around his torso and shivered slightly. Alcohol wouldn't solve anything but held a certain appeal to him at the moment. He grimaced ruefully and noted the eerie silence. Since the cool air had invigorated him somewhat, and sleep seemed far away, Mamoru set out to find Setsuna. She had certainly been scarce of late.

Meanwhile, Rei let herself back into the Tsukino's home. She locked the door quietly and turned the house alarm back on. She crept silently upstairs and hoped Usagi still breathed. Rei tentatively stretched her hand over to touch Usagi's forehead, afraid she had gotten worse while she was away. She seemed about the same and Rei heaved a sigh of relief. She went downstairs to fetch a bottle of water from the refrigerator and drank most of it on the way back up.

As she returned, Ikuko stuck her head out from her bedroom door and asked if everything was all right. Rei replied that she needed to use the bathroom and get some water. Usagi was the same and Ikuko seemed satisfied.

Rei dragged herself tiredly to the bed. She held her princess close to her chest and leaned upright against the pillows once more. She finally closed her eyes and passed out from exhaustion.

To be continued...