Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Not Just Allergies ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 9 (T)
Not Just Allergies

Ikuko felt frustrated as she crawled her way through the congested traffic and arrived home some forty minutes later. She parked behind Usagi's 5 door blue Subaru Impreza. It was stuffed with what Usagi termed her 'traveling rig', which generally meant a trip to Mako's house for a 'drum session' Ikuko smiled.

Out of all Usagi's friends, Ikuko enjoyed Makoto the most. Makoto was open, frank, and fun to be with. She was a whiz in the kitchen and with plants, two of Ikuko's most favorite things. Despite her towering size, Makoto was affectionate and domestic. She reminded Ikuko of a giant kitty!

Ikuko loved it when she saw Mako's small green Toyota pick-up parked outside her house. The auburn-haired girl always seemed to be involved with something and what she hauled in the back of her truck reflected her active lifestyle... usually her drum set, plants, a bicycle, and garden or kitchen supplies. On one occasion, she'd even seen an English riding saddle and tack!

She turned her head towards the back seat and noticed both girls had crashed. She sighed. Good grief! She walked around the car and opened the passenger seat door and picked up Usagi's backpack and put it on. She determined there must have been bricks stored in it. Ikuko opened the door closest to Rei to grab the guitar and Rei's backpack with another sigh. Rei's bag was just as heavy. She walked back around to open the girl's door.

Rei opened her eyes then and noticed with Ikuko, Usagi's heavy labored breaths. Rei looked up at Ikuko-mama and said reassuringly, "I'll help her to bed, Mrs. Tsukino. It's no problem."

"Thank you, Rei, you're a real life-saver! I'll go open the door for you." Ikuko said with relief. Rei crawled out the other car door, grabbed her gym bag, then walked around to Usagi's door. She didn't want to crawl over the top of her and hurt her.

"Usagi, you're home, wake up!" Usagi roused and mumbled something incoherent so Rei shook her gently and spoke louder.

"I'm coming!" Usagi responded grumpily. Rei had her arm around Usagi's waist and walked slowly, but Usagi began to sag. "Rei, I feel... weak." Usagi took two steps and passed out.

Rei dropped her gym bag and scooped her friend up effortlessly before she collapsed, then carried her the rest of the way.

Ikuko marveled at Rei's strength and wondered at the same time, what the back of Rei's shirt meant. She decided she didn't want to know. It was some personal statement... a teenager thing. She walked briskly ahead of Rei to open Usagi's room door upstairs.

Ikuko reflected upon how small the room had become over the years with the clutter of musical equipment and various project supplies. Shingo's room was in a similar condition with sports equipment. She smiled slightly as she set Rei's backpack and the guitar on the floor near the door. She shrugged Usagi's backpack off and put it on the computer chair.

Her babies may have grown up, but they still needed her she noted as Rei climbed the stairs and carefully approached with a limp Usagi. It seemed as though her daughter had rapidly deteriorated right before her eyes.

Rei entered the room with her precious burden. Rei could audibly hear Usagi's chest rattle now and could feel the heat of her slight body through her own clothes. Rei fought mightily with an urge to mention the hospital but guessed Ikuko-mama probably had an inkling of how bad overcrowding was at Minato General because of the epidemic.

Rei didn't know whether or not to curse Usagi for not being more careful with herself while she was with Mamoru or curse herself and the other Senshi for not insisting that she slow down. Not everything was so important it required all her heart and soul poured into it.

Over the last week or so, all of them had seen she was under some sort of strain. But since Usagi had never complained, they hadn't inquired. Then she realized how none of them had ever really taken Usagi's complaints of hunger seriously and had, for the most part, made fun of her eating habits. They hadn't paid much attention to her tiredness either and, there again, everyone had picked on her.

It dawned on Rei that somewhere along the line, Usagi had either grown-up or gotten tired of all the innuendos about her habits. She had stopped mentioning her needs. Knowledge of the truth behind Usagi's behavior hadn't helped to improve her guilt factor. Why hadn't she *told* them about the crystal, she agonized. It would have mattered, would have made a difference! They could have helped her better. But Rei knew why the Princess did not want them to know. She wanted... normalcy.

Rei felt a lump rise in her throat and tried to blink away tears that suddenly formed in her eyes. Usagi had given herself to the world as its savior many times, the last time had been to fight Galaxia and the demon Chaos. She held the most important person in their entire universe in her arms and knew in her heart that she, and the other Senshi, had blown it big time. Usagi graciously loved them all despite everything.

Rei swallowed the lump in her throat, with difficulty, and almost choked on it. Usagi loved and trusted Mars, the worst offender, most of all. Baka-Miko. Baka, baka, baka! She lay Usagi down on her bed carefully, then impatiently wiped her tears away, and sought Ikuko.

"I'll get her pajamas on her, if you will get her medicine ready, Ikuko-Mama." Rei implored her. Ikuko hadn't missed Rei's tears and came over to put her arms around the much larger girl. As Ikuko squeezed Rei, she smiled.

"Thank you, Rei, for catching her before she fell. We'll get through this, I promise. She's been sick before and it will happen again. Believe me, she's really a lot tougher than she looks!" She paused at the door. "I'll leave you two alone while I find out what her medicine instructions require. I want to take her temperature, too. Then I need to seriously cook dinner before Kenji comes home and skins me alive!" Ikuko left and closed the door quietly behind her. Rei smiled slightly as she tried to imagine Kenji in an attempt to catch her first.

Rei rummaged through Usagi's pajama drawer and settled on a comfortable black knit short/shirt combo with a red heart print. They looked like something akin to what Shingo's girlfriend would have bought him for Valentine's day, but Usagi had inherited them. Probably because he didn't want to be caught dead in them. Rei and Usagi loved them!

She brought her selection over to the Western-style bed. Rei lifted Usagi's torso, pulled the borrowed shirt up over Usagi's head, then quickly unhooked the white lace bra. Rei slid both garments over Usagi's arms. Rei took out the odangos and let the long platinum blonde hair cascade down onto the bed. Usagi was as light, as Rei was dark.

Rei took the pajama top and pushed it over Usagi's head, then drew the mass of soft tresses through. She next pulled Usagi's arms through the armholes one at a time. Usagi started to come around with all the activity but made no protest. Rei unfastened Usagi's short pink skirt and pulled it down over the long slender legs. She exposed the pair of red silk underwear, borrowed from her own drawer. Rei smiled at the slight bagginess and pulled the boxers up over the underwear. Finished, Rei leaned forward and kissed Usagi's cheek.

"I'm so sorry about everything, Usa, I feel like such a jerk. I have given you so little attention! I will never again ignore your needs and you can complain about anything you want to. I promise from now on, I will fulfill your every desire and spoil you rotten! This will never, ever happen again. I hope you can forgive all of us one more time." She declared, softly.

"Be careful what you promise, it could be construed as an oath and I may hold you to it!" Usagi drowsily replied.

Rei happily kissed her cheek again and gave her a small hug. "You little trouble-maker! Do you need help getting to the bathroom, or anything?" Rei asked.

Usagi couldn't resist. "No thank you. I gave at the office!" She snickered and Rei guffawed.

"Oooo, Usa, that was really bad! Will you let me know if you need anything at all? I'm here for you." Rei plead. Usagi nodded.

"Oh, you'll be the first one I call... particularly if my stomach hurts!" Usagi promised.

"You are just too kind!" Rei mocked.

"Um... Rei?" Usagi began.

"Hmmm?" Rei answered.

"I think I have a fever. If I do, I know my mom won't let me see anybody. Rei, I really need to see Mamoru and Setsuna together before Monday. As soon as mom says I can have visitors, could you please arrange to have them come over? It's Senshi business and super important." Usagi coughed.

Rei held Usagi up and close to her own chest. She rubbed her friend's back gently in the hope that it would help her to breathe easier. When the paroxysm had subsided, Rei whispered to her. "Of course, My Hime, I'd be glad to!" Rei felt real fear for her friend. She felt miserable as she watched Usagi began to shiver. "Here, let me at least help you under this bedding." Rei offered.

She lifted Usagi's backside up with her right arm, while she pulled the sheet and blanket down with her left. Usagi slipped her legs between the cotton sheets. Rei covered her friend up all the way to her chin. Usagi coughed again.

"Don't you *dare* die on me, Serenity!" Rei hissed, "doesn't your ginsuishou do anything other than suck the life out of you? Can't the power of the Moon innately heal you?" She spat angrily. "This relationship you have with the crystal seems awfully lop-sided in its own favor."

Usagi blinked at her bodyguard and grasped Rei's upper right arm, then pulled her right ear closer. "It *is* healing me, it just takes time when I'm weak. I have no intention of dying!" Usagi relaxed her grip and closed her eyes, "I love you, Rei, I promise I won't leave you alone." She whispered.

Rei kissed her hot forehead tenderly. "And I love you, my Angel." Rei rasped out softly. Ikuko chose that moment to knock on the door. She had heard Usagi's coughs and hurried. "Come!" Rei called, relieved.

Ikuko came in and put a small tray of steaming food down on the bedside table. She looked at her daughter and apologized for the long wait. Kenji had gotten home early. She nonchalantly smacked Rei's hand away and thwarted her invasion of the hot food.

"You can go keep Kenji and Shingo company downstairs at the supper table, young lady! I hope you like the subject of baseball. I'll be down in a bit to rescue you, okay?" Rei made a sour face and stuck her lower lip out, but Ikuko pointed emphatically at the door. Usagi tried to laugh, but a cough came out instead.

Rei squeezed her hand under the bedding and wished she could crawl in and keep Usagi warm. Her teeth still chattered, even with all the bedding over her. Rei whispered close to Usagi's ear. "I'm so sorry, Usagi. I wish it were me in this condition instead of you! I'll be back soon and, in the name of Mars, I'll keep you warm." The raven-haired fire Senshi assured her. Usagi smiled up at her, she had no doubt Rei meant just that! Rei left Usagi's room with regret.

Ikuko popped a thermometer into her daughter's mouth then busied herself around the room. She closed the open window first. The heat of the day had rapidly been replaced by a much cooler night. She closed the cotton curtains so the light would not disturb Usagi's much-needed rest. Ikuko pulled a spare quilt down from the cupboard and put it at the foot of the bed. She checked her watch and sat on the edge of the bed near Usagi's chest.

Usagi struggled to keep the thermometer still in her mouth so Ikuko held it for her. She stroked Usagi's bangs out of her eyes with her other hand and watched as her daughter relaxed a bit.

"Coach Kennin called to apologize for his behavior towards you today. He thought afterward that you might have been ill, though, he hoped you weren't. He said his team members were dropping like poisoned insects and barely had one at this point with the current flu epidemic. I told him he could consider you a poisoned insect." Ikuko grinned impishly as she removed the thermometer.

"Well, you are definitely not to leave this bed except to use the bathroom! I don't want an entourage of friends through here, either. Honestly, Bunny, you might stand a better chance at fighting illnesses if you had a little more fat!" Ikuko chided.

Tears pricked Usagi's eyes, "I can't help it. My coaches put me on a 'health food' diet that scared all the fat away. Mom, will you let Rei stay for a while, please?" Usagi wanted Rei's warmth badly.

"If Rei wants to stay, I'll let her. I could use the help. It seems she's closer than a sister to you and is practically family anyway." Ikuko placed the tray of food nearer to Usagi.

"Usagi, your medicine needs to be taken with food and plenty of fluids. Do you think you can sit up and eat a little bit of food for me by yourself? I need to go downstairs and tend to the rest of the family at this point. I'm sure Rei's eyes have glazed over by now! I think this food has cooled down enough to eat."

Usagi nodded and her mother arranged the pillows to help prop her up before she left. Usagi eyed the tray happily. No matter what condition she was in, she was always hungry! When everything had been eaten, she lay back onto the pillows and drowsed off. She awakened when her mother came back a little while later to collect the food tray.

"Thank you for supper, Mom." Usagi smiled brightly.

"You are welcomed, pumpkin. I'm proud of you for eating it all!" Ikuko smiled back warmly.

"Mom, do you remember when I called you about Rei yesterday?" Usagi started slowly.

Ikuko nodded in remembrance, "Yes, did you give her what I suggested?" Ikuko asked curiously.

Usagi hesitated slightly. "I tried, but I couldn't find all of the ingredients. She seems fine, now, but I worry about her anyway. She will never admit she needs anything, so I need you to watch over her while I can't." Usagi closed her eyes tiredly. "I think I'd like to rest, now, please." She coughed and Ikuko patted her girl's hand.

"Of course, dear, don't worry. I'll take care of your stubborn friend for you. She ate supper like she was starving to death and was very polite to Kenji and Shingo. Shingo wanted to know if we could trade you in for Rei!" Ikuko laughed. "I'll have her bring an ice bag up for you, your temperature is a little high. I think you'd prefer her company over your boring old mom's, yes?"

"You're not old, Mom." Usagi dimpled puckishly. Ikuko tweaked Usagi's ear.

"I love you too, imp!" Ikuko kissed her daughter's hot forehead, picked up the tray, and left the room. The door remained ajar.

Ikuko passed Shingo in the hallway, whom at 15 was already taller than she was. She looked up at his face and wagged a finger at him, "Don't even *think* about teasing your sister, or I'll call your girlfriend and tell her something embarrassing about you!" She barked.

"Killjoy!" Shingo scowled at his parent. Moms were truly evil. He peered into his sister's disaster area for a room, but his focus was on his sibling who seemed to cough non-stop. She looked and sounded truly miserable. Shingo felt bad for her. "Sorry sis, hurry up and get better, so I can pick on you guilt-free!" Shingo sidestepped his mother's foot and headed for his not-so-much neater room.

"I heard that, Shingo!" Ikuko said.

Rei began to suspect a little Usa-rat when Ikuko offered her special tea blends and soups throughout the course of the evening, but she didn't mind too much. She felt a lot better and stronger. She would need her strength for a plan she hoped would work.

While Rei helped with the chores, Ikuko asked her if she would rather stay with them, or go on her grandfather's annual fall pilgrimage. Rei confided to Ikuko that it had never occurred to her that she might be permitted to stay behind. Ojiisan was usually very adamant about expeditions to other Jinja for her training. But in the event Ojiisan agreed she could stay, she would need a few things from home... like her electric piano, clothing that fit, and some personal items.

Ikuko ran upstairs to check on Usagi who had fallen into a fitful sleep. She ran back downstairs to find Kenji in the study as he worked on his newspaper article for the next day.

"Kenji, darling, could you keep an ear out for Usagi? I need to bring Rei home. I'm hoping, since Rei is in University now, her Ojiisan will excuse her from Pilgrimage and let her stay with us. If that's alright with you. She'll need to pick up a few things if she is allowed to stay."

Ikuko put her hand over Kenji's notes, so he would pay attention to her. "Well?" She looked at him quizzically. Kenji mumbled his assent and Ikuko kissed his only exposed cheek. "I'll be back shortly. Call me or the hospital if Usagi gets worse." Ikuko left without the warm-fuzzy feeling of confidence.

Ikuko got them to the jinja in record time and opted to wait in her car at the west entrance while Rei found out whether or not she could stay at the Tsukino's. Rei spoke to Grandpa briefly to let him know what had happened and asked his permission to stay with Usagi.

Ojiisan reminded his granddaughter the fall pilgrimage up the mountain to the jinja he wanted to visit was very important for her training. But, since she was far enough ahead in her training, she could be spared this once. University was important, too. He would allow her to stay with the Tsukino's for the next three weeks.

Secretly he was a little relieved. Rei needed a break. It seemed she had taken Yuuichiro's departure harder than he thought she would. Perhaps Usagi could keep Rei's mind off of herself.

Rei thanked him, grabbed a duffle bag, and threw some clothes and her personal items in it. She put her Nord keyboard in its hard travel case. Rei ran out of the jinja, her keyboard grasped in one hand and her duffle bag in the other.

Ikuko was impressed, it had taken Rei less than 20 minutes! They arrived back home in about an hour. They both heard Usagi's coughs as soon as they entered the door. Rei dropped her things at the front door and bolted after Ikuko who took four steps at a time.

Rei marveled at Ikuko. Boy, Mrs. Tsukino was fast! Usagi hadn't joked when she said her mother could literally smell disaster and teleport there! They entered Usagi's room at the same time. The blonde's breathing was fast and shallow. Ikuko gasped.

"Oh Rei, hold her up so she can breathe better." Ikuko ran to the bathroom and returned moments later with a new thermometer. Rei looked at Ikuko with trepidation.

"Ikuko-Mama, she can barely breathe!" Rei exclaimed, to which Ikuko replied briskly.

"I hadn't planned to put it there. I want *you* to put it in the other way, while I go fix an herb tea. I already called Dr. Mizuno's pediatric office." Ikuko smiled pleasantly and handed Rei the thermometer and a small tube of lubricant. Rei sat and stared after Ikuko, her mouth slightly agape. She thought she heard an evil cackle as the room door closed.

"Um, Usa, your mom wants me to take your temperature." Usagi nodded against Rei's chest. "Um, I have to take it the *other* way, Odango," Rei emphasized, pointing. Usagi mumbled something about 'payback' and a hot place.

Rei lay Usagi on her side and pulled the covers and the red silk underwear down. She lubed and inserted the thermometer with no protest from her victim. Rei sat against the propped up pillows and gently pulled her beloved on top of her while she held the thermometer in place. Usagi cuddled as close as she could, with a small sigh. Rei pulled the bedclothes up to cover Usagi's lower body and put her free left arm snugly around her.

Rei was seriously worried and prayed Ikuko would be gone long enough so she could funnel some of Mars' energy into the ginsuishou. Rei concentrated and drew on the powers of Mars. Her sigil glowed lightly.

"Power to ginsuishou!" She whispered. Usagi's sigil glowed faintly in response. The ginsuishou sparked to life upon the Moon Princess' chest and Usagi smiled. Her partner to be was so smart. Rei's communicator went off seconds later and Rei had to trade hands to answer it. Ami's face appeared on the tiny screen.

"Rei, what's going on? My computer detected the power from Mars being used at a low level. Are you in trouble?" Ami asked. You had to admire the water senshi's constant vigil!

"No, but Usagi is. She's really sick and I need to do something to help the ginsuishou heal her. She is too weak and her energy level too low for the ginsuishou to help her effectively. I don't know what else to do and I'm scared. I wish I had you here, Ami, I could really use your help. Ikuko-Mama doesn't want a lot of visitors here, though." She added cheekily, "If you want to help, you can toss a pebble at Usagi's window after everyone here goes to sleep and sneak in!" Then more seriously, she iterated, "Under no circumstances is anyone to call Usagi into battle until this blows over." Rei said resolutely.

Ami nodded her affirmation, she could hear Usagi's coughs in the background, then her face blipped off of Rei's communicator.

Meanwhile, downstairs a flurry of activity took place. Ikuko found herbal tea that would help her daughter. While tea water heated, Ikuko whooshed into the study to discover why her errant husband hadn't called her.

Kenji's head lay upon the clutter of notes for the news article he was working on. He still hadn't finished typing, the cursor blinking mid-sentence on his computer. Feeling a little out of sorts, she picked up his empty teacup and left him to snooze. When Ikuko peeked into Shingo's open door, he had been in a similar state of oblivion with his headset on and bent over his homework. Oy. Usagi could have died and neither of them would have known!

The pediatric office had already closed for the day when she called a second time or was it the third, Ikuko had lost count. She left a detailed message on the answering machine for the emergency doctors on rotation.

Her kettle whistled, so Ikuko returned to pour its boiling contents into an herb-filled teapot to steep. She slid on her socks to a halt in the hallway right in front of Usagi's closed door. She opened the door quietly and drew her breath in.

Rei's cheek rested on the back of Usagi's flaxen head, which lay on her left shoulder. Ikuko could tell Rei's right hand cradled Usagi's bottom while she held the thermometer still, through the bedclothes. Her left was gently rubbing her daughter's stomach.

Usagi, in turn, lay with her left arm draped along Rei's torso under the arm that held the thermometer. Her right hand was snaked under Rei's tank and deliberately resting on the left breast, her eyes closed. They clearly were enjoying their intimacy and were totally unaware they were being observed.

Ikuko's face flushed. She wondered if they were actually lovers, though, the tender concern expressed on Rei's face spoke volumes. She didn't exactly know how she felt about that in lieu of Usagi's long time relationship with Mamoru. She knocked gingerly and pushed the door open wider.

Rei looked up, and captured Usagi's moving right hand with her left, and held it gently where it was. Rei smiled at Ikuko with not the slightest trace of guilt or guile. Ikuko raised an eyebrow at her.

"Is there something you need to tell me, Rei?" Ikuko prompted.

"Umm, I love her?" Rei affirmed.

"Does my daughter have the same inclination?" Ikuko pressed. This time Usagi nodded her head. Ikuko quit holding her breath and let it out slowly.

"Well, this is not the time to discuss new relationships, so I won't. Let's have a look at her temperature." Ikuko directed and pulled the bedclothes down. She noticed Mamoru's engagement ring was still in place on her daughter's left ring finger. Teenagers, Ikuko shook her head.

Rei carefully took the thermometer out and wiped it off on the tissue Ikuko had handed her. She rocked it until she could read it and felt the color drain from her own face. She silently handed it to Ikuko's patient fingers. Rei clothed Usagi's nakedness and pulled the bedding back up over the two of them. Ikuko handed an ice bag to Rei just as silently.

"All we can do is wait and make her as comfortable as possible until the doctor's office calls back. We may have to take a trip to the hospital without their blessing." Ikuko said quietly and excused herself from the room to go retrieve the steeped tea.

Ikuko closed the door and her fingers trembled on the knob. She rested her forehead on the door frame and wept. She was never more confused in her life, what had happened to her usually open daughter? For the first time in 18 years, Usagi seemed like a stranger to her. Her daughter's condition and poor timing terrified her more, though.

The minute Ikuko left, Rei resumed her energy donation to Usagi. The girl was seriously ill and it wasn't just a little cold or mold allergies. Usagi slipped in and out of consciousness and bouts of mumbling. Rei tried hard not to freak out and was convinced Usagi needed an IV on top of Senshi's help.

Ikuko knocked on the door first this time, then let herself in. She could have sworn she saw something red glow on Rei's forehead. Maybe it was from the red display on the electric alarm clock. She decided that she must be so tired and traumatized over Usagi, she had simply hallucinated. Ikuko shook her head to clear her mind and brought the special herb tea over to Usagi's bedside. She woke her with difficulty and held the teacup to Usagi's lips.

"Here, Bunny, this tastes bitter, but it should help you to feel better a little more quickly." Ikuko urged her daughter. Usagi sipped it with a wry expression.

"This vile taste had better be worth it, or I'll tell Luna to hide her lizard tails under your pillow!" She croaked.

Ikuko blanched at the thought. "Eeeeew... you wouldn't dare! You know, threatening your mother is particularly unwise. I'm capable of telling unspeakable secrets intended *expressly* to humiliate deviant children! Where is that cat, anyway? I haven't seen her for a few days." Ikuko exclaimed.

Usagi couldn't tell her mother Luna was in a secret Lunar Command Center conducting research with Artemis! So she quipped blithely, "I saw her with Mina's cat, Artemis. They're probably on a mission to search for alien rats with mysterious powers and an evil agenda. Perhaps they seek to overthrow the Great Cat King who sits on a thrown of coveted prized lizard tails. Or maybe they are in love." Usagi coughed and took another sip of tea. When she finished the tea, she lay her head back on Rei's quivering right shoulder and rested her forehead comfortably against Rei's neck.

Ikuko watched them in uneasy silence a few moments. Rei still had mirth written all over her face. She exhaled audibly. If Rei wanted to sleep in an uncomfortable upright position just so Usagi could breathe better all night, Ikuko decided she would not fight it. It seemed Rei had appointed herself as bodyguard over her daughter and Usagi had already passed out again.

"Rei, that child either has the most outrageous imagination, or she's delirious! Please shout if you notice any changes in her behavior. I'll be back around 10 pm to check on you both I hope you can get some sleep, Rei." Ikuko swept Rei's bangs away from her forehead and planted a warm 'mom' kiss there. "Thank you for your love and care towards my impetuous Bunny. You truly are a gem!" Ikuko smiled.

Rei smiled bashfully and thanked her. She relaxed as soon as Ikuko left the room. She closed her eyes and with her sigil aglow, she prepared her mind for rest. Except Rei's rest eluded her, as she held Usagi close.

Instead, she wept silently as Usagi cried out, 'nooo... mother... don't leave me', or whimpered, 'stop... you're killing them... please... take me', or moaned, 'Gods... help me! Rei, can't do it... alone', then begged, 'please stop Mamo... you're hurting me... Mamo-chan.' The fabric on Rei's shoulder was soaked through with tears.

Ikuko returned as promised to a relatively quiet room, save for Usagi's heavy, rapid, shallow breaths. Rei's forehead was covered by thick dark bangs that fell onto closed eyes. She turned a small desk lamp on and Rei stirred. She came over to the bedside and set down a cup of water and two pills. She brushed Rei's bangs from her eyes and briefly touched her forehead to make sure Usagi's illness hadn't affected her, too. Rei smiled shyly.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Tsukino, thank you. I'm a bit smooshed, though... I would kill for some water, toothpaste, and a nightgown! Can you hold down the fort?" Rei posed.

Ikuko answered with a laugh. "Of course!" She turned the covers down for Rei who gathered Usagi up, then slid gently out from under her. Ikuko chuckled as Rei bolted for the door. Her attention was brought back to her daughter when she mewled feebly. Ikuko had shifted her again and placed her on her side. Every jostle seemed to bother her. Rei returned to the room, with her toiletry bag in hand within about five minutes.

Ikuko noted that Rei had dressed for bed. She wore a long royal purple silk gown which seemed to accentuate her feminine attributes and eyes. Rei's silken ebony tresses were lustrously brushed. Framed by beautiful long black lashes, the unusual amethyst eyes glittered like gems in the moonlit room. She blinked at the vision of loveliness that was Rei. She was certainly elegant in that gown... but then, the Hikawa Jinja priestess could probably make a burlap potato sack look good!

Rei felt much more refreshed and her neat pearly teeth flashed engagingly for a moment as she hoped for a miracle. Ikuko dispelled the smile with a look.

"She's fighting so hard!" Ikuko's voice quavered. Rei rushed to her side and held Ikuko as she cried.

"Mrs. Tsukino, the medicine is working, I promise! I was going to call you, but you were already up. I was just resting when you came in. Let's get the antibiotics into her and I'll carry her to the bathroom if she needs it, all right? She needs her Mom to be strong, right now, and help her to fight." Rei reminded her friend's mother gently. Ikuko dried her tears.

"You're right. Sit her up please, Rei, she's too heavy for me." Ikuko entreated. "She may look skinny, but what she has is all meat like you are."

Rei obliged Usagi mewled as Rei lifted her into an upright position. "Here, Angel. This is the last of pills for the day." Ikuko implored her daughter.

Usagi drank the water thirstily and when the cup was drained, Rei grinned at her mischievously. "So, Princess, are we floating yet?" Rei asked. Usagi nodded and Rei smirked. "Want me to carry you?" she invited. Usagi nodded again.

Rei picked her up carefully and when they got back, Usagi's Mom was gone. Rei sat on the edge of the bed and held her unconscious princess close. She murmured words of encouragement and love between kisses on her forehead. That's what Ikuko walked in on, with a fresh cold ice pack for her head. Her breath caught and she cleared her throat.

"Here Rei, climb back in and use this on her head. The office called back and said both of the on-call doctors had gotten paged for the emergency room at the hospital. They told me I could take Usagi there, but they were swamped. The nurse told me they could schedule Usagi for their first appointment at 8 o'clock in the morning." Ikuko sighed, "I'm going to try to get some sleep, now, and so should you." Ikuko brushed Rei's sudden tears of helplessness from her cheeks and left the two alone.

To be continued...