Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Dr. Wakai ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 8 (T)
Dr. Wakai

Usagi arrived at the office check-in window promptly at 4:30. She put her backpack on a coat hook on the wall and took her guitar in with her like a security blanket. She was directed to a small room then instructed to remove her clothes and put a smock on so that it opened in the back. *Sigh* Usagi perched on the edge of the paper-covered vinyl examination table with stirrups and swung her feet.

After she perused all the wall materials a few times, she had memorized how to do her breast examinations, (maybe it would be more fun with Rei), and knew by heart what her baby would look like and how much it would weigh during each gestational week.

She was suddenly glad Rei wasn't there to see all the pictures that featured happy couples with their newborns and 'thank you' notes attached. Or see all the birth control methods available.

Besides a single sheet of paper that listed adoption agencies, there weren't any methods mentioned to help couples who couldn't have children and wanted them, which filled Usagi with profound sadness. Running her finger down the listing, she found the orphanage Mamoru had grown up in and felt a pang of remorse. The world seemed to be full of people who had been dealt a crummy hand in life and struggled every day to make the best of things.

She looked at all the equipment. An ultrasound machine, fetal monitors, Pap smear torture devices, blood pressure sleeves which dangled from a wall, fingertip oxygen clips, electronic thermometers, and stuff she couldn't put a name to. She resisted the urge to break out the guitar as she waited.

Eventually, a redheaded technician breezed in, weighed her, and took her vital signs. She spent the most time with her stethoscope pressed to Usagi's chest in various places. Deep breaths made her cough and the nurse made Usagi nervous. At length, she cheerfully told Usagi that Dr. Wakai would see her momentarily. Usagi repeated, 'don't be a cynic' a few times to herself.

Meanwhile, she was told she should leave a urine sample in the bathroom with her name on it if she hadn't already. Clearly, it was another stall tactic and why wasn't it mentioned *before* she put on this ridiculous 'gown'?

Usagi clutched the gown closed on her breezy backside and slunk surreptitiously down the hallway, performed, and slunk back to her room. She didn't ask why they wanted the sample... she was afraid that they'd want blood, too. Turned out the vampire *did* want her blood. *Sigh*

She didn't have too long to wait after that, she had only gotten half of the manufacturers memorized on the equipment when Dr. Wakai showed.

The doctor smiled at her as she entered the small, cluttered room. She was middle-aged with a medium build and her bespectacled eyes were dark brown with short hair that matched them. Professional.

"Miss Hino is waiting in the lobby for you. If you would like her to accompany you, it's fine with me, Miss Tsukino." Dr. Wakai's voice was pleasant and had a soothing quality to it.

"Yes, thank you. Please have her sent in before she starts to abuse your staff." Usagi said drolly. Dr. Wakai winked as she used the intercom to call the front lobby.

Rei appeared a few moments later. She wore what she had packed in her gym bag, which consisted of a pair of faded jean shorts and a gray tank top, on which she had Meredith Brook's 'Blurring the Edges' album cover silk-screened to. The back proclaimed 'I May Crack, but I'll Never Shatter' penned by herself with fabric paint.

On her neck hung a delicate gold necklace with a small ornate gold cross on it. She wore small ruby earrings. Strapped to her right wrist was her Senshi communicator, and a thin golden dragon with a small ruby for an eye, curled around her left wrist.

Her hair was immaculate and her manicure was, of course, perfect. She wore open-toed leather sandals, which prominently displayed her pedicure. All her nails were a bright, hot red. When Rei saw Usagi's eyes flick to her feet, she stuck her tongue out at her and wiggled her toes. Usagi suppressed a giggle... her fire Senshi was certainly multifaceted!

Rei slouched into a chair near the door. She tried to look nonchalant with her gorgeous long bare legs slightly open and her bare, muscular, arms crossed over her chest. Her eyes never strayed from the doctor. Usagi wondered how anyone could work with Rei's intense amethyst awls boring holes into them!

Dr. Wakai asked Usagi to lie down then proceeded to look at her surface injuries and document everything. Next, she was instructed to scoot all the way to the end of the table and place her heels in the stirrups. Dr. Wakai brought a bright light over to enhance her view. The doctor poked, prodded, and wrote silently. Usagi's face was aflame with embarrassment.

Rei watched as Usagi gripped the paper into her fists and breathed more rapidly. Rei could tell she tried hard not to cry out. Rei wanted to fry something as a Pap smear test was performed and tiny tears escaped her friend's eyes. Doctor Wakai noticed Usagi's discomfort, too.

"I know it must hurt, sweetie, it helps if you relax. I'll be as gentle and quick as I can. I am almost finished now." She comforted as best as she could.

After the culture was taken, Usagi relaxed. Dr. Wakai pulled the latex examining gloves off after she cleaned Usagi up, and when Rei noticed the blood on them, she wanted Mamoru's on the tip of her katana. The doctor cleared her throat and began to talk to Usagi.

"Miss Tsukino, Your injuries are moderate and will heal in time. There shouldn't be any permanent damage. We'll know more when the culture results come back, of course. Also, your temperature is elevated past the normal low-grade point we usually see for minor infections. To be frank, your lungs don't sound clear and I strongly suggest that you go see your pediatrician as soon as possible.

I will write out a prescription for some antibiotics that should help. You should start to feel less run-down within a few days. If not, call me. You need to get plenty of fluids and rest. I mean it. I know how hard University students push themselves.

When the bruising and swelling clears up, I want to re-examine you to make sure there are no problems we may have missed. You may put your clothes back on. When you're done, I want to talk to you privately." She said firmly. Usagi gulped and nodded. Dr. Wakai closed the door behind her as she left.

Rei was on her feet instantly and teleported over to Usagi's bedside. "Are you alright?" she asked and handed Usagi her clothes. She watched as the clothes were put on mechanically in silence.

"I hurt," Usagi replied shortly, "and just want to go home. Will you help me get home, please, Rei-chan?" Her voice sounded achingly weary to Rei. Her brow furrowed and she frowned.

"I'd be happy to call your Mom and have her pick you up from here. I'll come with you if you want me to. Do you want me to cancel our dinner date tonight, too?" Rei asked with uncertainty. Usagi nodded soberly.

"I'm sorry, Rei, I'm just so tired. I don't think I would make for very good company tonight. I thought I was fighting allergies like Mina, but I guess not." Usagi finally admitted. "Besides, it is already 5:30 and I'm still stuck here," she observed.

Rei was a little disappointed but smiled. She leaned forward and kissed Usagi's lips gently. Her lips were a lot warmer now than they were this morning. Rei felt her stomach flip in fear and sighed. Her Hime would always put her senshi's well-being before her own.

"Mmm, good point, I'd better call them, too. I think they'd rather have cancellations than try to fit in a reservation! Don't worry, I'm good. I completely understand your needs."

Usagi nodded in relief. "How did you get here so fast and in those clothes, Rei?"

"Well, between all the heat and all the exertion, I passed out on poor old Professor Ippongi's sideline. He exiled me to the showers, and voila, I'm here!" Rei grinned with a sweatdrop.

Usagi was instantly concerned. "Rei-baka, you should have stayed home as I told you to!" She scolded.

Rei's finger touched under Usagi's chin. "I didn't do it on purpose, Baka-Dango! I had the ball and my brain just suddenly started to fade to black. Makoto took care of me and gave me one of her sports drinks. Fear not, all of her tender ministrations were accompanied by an appropriate amount of scolding." Rei stroked Usagi's cheek with a thumb.

"Anyway, I think all of those deprived old lechers can wait another day to watch us exhibit perfection on Starlight Tower's dance floors, right?" Usagi gave the barest of smiles. Rei handed her a tissue to blow her nose then smiled gently. "We'll go out when we both can enjoy it." Rei planted a warm wet kiss where Usagi's crescent sigil would show on her forehead. "I'll be in the lobby, okay?" Rei said as Dr. Wakai rapped on the door.

"Come in, I'm decent," Usagi called out. Rei opened the door to let the doctor in, and herself, out. Dr. Wakai thanked her politely and told her it would not take long.

"Take your time. We have to wait for Usagi's Mom anyway." Rei returned just as politely and smiled sweetly. "The wooden blocks in your lobby are such a joy to play with and the magazines are to die for!" Her eyes glinted mischievously at the doctor.

Dr. Wakai looked at Usagi. "She really is evil, isn't she?"

"Totally." Usagi agreed.

"However do you put up with her, you're so sweet!" Dr. Wakai stated serenely as her lips quirked into a small smile. Just outside the opened door, Rei made gagging noises in the hallway.

Usagi sighed loudly. "Alas, I must confess... the girl amuses me." At this, Rei stuck her nose in the air and sniffed plaintively.

"Hmph! I think I smell hogwash in the air!" Rei left to go phone Mrs. Tsukino and the Starlight Tower restaurant. Dr. Wakai and Usagi giggled like a pair of schoolgirls with a secret.

When the door was shut once more, Dr. Wakai turned towards Usagi and indicated for her to sit in the chair Rei had just vacated. The doctor waited as the young girl sat with dignity the way a proper lady would, back straight, knees together. After a few seconds of regard, she got straight to the point, "Miss Tsukino, this was not a stranger who abused you, was it?"

There was no trace of humor in the doctor's demeanor now. Usagi cringed and looked down at folded hands she rested lightly on her lap. "No," she whispered.

"How long has this gone on? Why didn't you come to get help sooner, or call the authorities so this won't be repeated to someone else?" Dr. Wakai asked pointedly. Usagi calmed down before she answered quietly.

"It has gone on about a week, or two. It's my fiancée whom I have let do this to me. Our relationship has been full of love for over four years, but he has changed recently. I don't know what happened. Maybe the less than gentle behavior will stop when our lives settle down, but I can't continue in the relationship the way it is anymore. I still love him and do not want to ruin his life by turning him in. He insists he still loves me, too. My intention is to provide him with professional help." The tiny bead of sweat at her temple worked its way down to her chin to join a teardrop from her rosy cheek.

Dr. Wakai was silent for a moment before she responded in the same quiet tone. "Miss Tsukino, if you insist on his protection, I can't stop you or help you. Your blood tests show you are not pregnant, and you don't have any STDs, luckily. If you truly wish him well, I suggest you get him that help right away before those situations change. Do you have an agency in mind? If not, I will provide you with one." The doctor waited expectantly.

"Yes, I have someone in mind. It's not an agency, but rather, an eminently qualified individual. One Dr. Setsuna Meioh. I realize she is most known for her clothing designs and scientific theories. But besides graduating top of her class in Theories of Elemental Science, she also majored in Psychology. She has had extensive practice in counseling, (for like millennia, heh heh). She's also a personal friend of mine and I trust her implicitly." Usagi's voice gained in confidence, as well as strength, and ended with a note of hope.

Dr. Wakai was skeptical, but sighed in resignation, "alright, Miss Tsukino, I will trust your judgment. But let me warn you, it won't be hard to find out who you have been with. If you come back to me, or any other office in this condition again, I will have no choice but to have him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. All these offices share a database on abuse cases. Are we on the same page, Miss Tsukino?"

"Message received loud and clear," Usagi answered with trepidation and wondered if her plan would work. The doctor had not minced her words and left no room for failure.

"Good, I expect you back here in one week. That's next Monday, Miss Tsukino, to make sure there are no complications. Your boyfriend has exactly one week to enroll himself into professional care." The doctor hastily scribbled out some instructions on a standard prescription form and pressed it into her hand.

"You may go, now. Please see my secretary and make your next appointment. Your prescription has already been called in, for your convenience, and can be picked up at the pharmacy next door." Dr. Wakai smiled at her, finally, and squeezed her hand before she collected Usagi's folder.

"You're a courageous young lady and a survivor. Just like your friend, Rei. Only you seem a little gentler and more forgiving. I always have the impression Miss Hino could reduce something to ashes with her glare if she really wanted to!" She chuckled.

Usagi tried to conceal her mirth with a hand over her mouth, but a giggle came out. She had no idea how right she was! With a hand on the doorknob, Dr. Wakai gave Usagi a last look.

"You know, most people would be crushed under the amount of pain you are in emotionally and physically. Please take care of yourself from now on. I hope you feel better soon." Dr. Wakai left the door ajar and went to her next patient.

Usagi's smile faded as the doctor left and thought to herself, 'I'm not 'normal' and not as brave as you think I am. I do feel crushed!' Usagi glanced at the small slip of square paper that had been handed her. On it was scrawled: 'If you need to talk to someone who understands, call my personal cell phone number anytime, day, or night. Wakai, Yuki.'

Usagi shoved the note into her skirt pocket and brushed fresh tears from her eyes. She saw her mother and Rei chatting amicably together when she entered the lobby with her guitar. Her mother certainly loved teenagers! They were the most welcomed sight. She addressed and paid the secretary, then politely asked for her next appointment be made for the following Monday.

Ikuko stood gracefully at the appearance of her daughter, a curious expression on her face. "Let's go, everyone! Rei, you're welcomed to stay for dinner, if you want to." Mrs. Tsukino offered with genuine warmth. Rei scratched her chin thoughtfully.

"Hmm, I have to choose between a good home-cooked meal made by you, or leftovers courtesy Usagi?" She looked from one to the other feigning indecision.

"Mom, isn't it Shingo's turn to cook? His culinary innovations can make even flies cry." Usagi asked and stuck her tongue out at the incorrigible dark-haired Miko. She retrieved her backpack from the hook she had put it on. Then faced her mother. "Um, Mom, I have to pick up a prescription next door, I'll be right back." She said and headed for the door. Ikuko stopped her with a hand to the forearm.

"No, you don't, Rei mentioned it and I already picked it up," Ikuko dangled a small paper bag in her face, "and it is my turn to cook! Get in the car, now, both of you!" Ikuko ordered.

"Yes Ma'am!" Both girls exclaimed in unison and piled into the back seat of the white Accord on the right side behind Ikuko. Rei went first with Usagi's guitar, put her own gym bag and backpack on the seat next to her, and took the seat in the middle so Usagi could sit next to the other door.

Usagi leaned forward and across Rei to plop her backpack into the empty front passenger seat. She felt completely drained as she sat down. Her body ached and she wanted desperately to sleep. She laid her head wearily upon the window but discovered Rei's shoulder was far softer and accommodating. Usagi closed her eyes and was asleep instantly.

Mrs. Tsukino looked into her rearview mirror. She wondered why two usually argumentative, noisy, teenagers were so quiet. What she saw was a pale Usagi with bright pink spots on her cheeks and her head cradled on Rei's neck. Rei's arm was protectively around Usagi's shoulder, and her features had softened to tenderly reflect a concerned love Ikuko would have never imagined on Rei's usual 'no-nonsense' visage.

Ikuko pondered the possible implications in her heart. Her daughter looked genuinely ill and Rei seemed inordinately worried and protective. Ikuko began to worry that something awful had happened. Was Usagi pregnant? She knew her normally open daughter would talk to her in due time, and was grateful they had such a good relationship.

To be continued...

Japanese Terms

Ippongi- one track mind / monotonous
Wakai- young
Yuki- happiness