Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Letting Go ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 12 (T)
Letting Go

When Ikuko finally succumbed to Usagi's constant pleas to see more than one friend at a time, Rei immediately used her communicator to contact Setsuna and the Earth Prince to come over.

When Setsuna and Mamoru showed up at the door Saturday with fresh flowers around three in the afternoon, Rei alternated between her desire to watch Mamoru like a hawk and the urge to stay away from him. But Usagi took the decision away from her, by reminding her there were duties at the jinja that needed her attention before New Years and her grandfather had gone on pilgrimage. So Rei held Usagi tight, and kissed each of her deep blue sapphire eyes tenderly, then stated she would be back later. Usagi hugged her love back.

"I love that you want to protect me from Mamoru, but it's really not necessary. My plan has to work, Rei, for the sake of all of us. I need them to feel comfortable, alright? I'll call you when they've gone." Usagi placed a small kiss on Rei's cheek.

Rei bounced down the stairs and was asked by Ikuko to answer the door because she had 'chicken hands'. Rei opened the door and greeted their guests politely with a small bow.

"Usagi expects you, and requests that you come right up." Rei watched them retreat up the stairs with a frown, then went into the kitchen where Ikuko busily prepared the marinade for her chicken dish.

"Ikuko-Mama, I need to go the jinja for awhile. Usagi has reminded me that I need to make Omamori for the New Year's festival. Is there anything you want me to pick up on the way back?" Rei questioned her.

Ikuko smiled at her 'other daughter'. Rei wore a pair of faded jeans with a baggy lavender 'Tokyo University' sweatshirt. Her loafers were next to the door. She certainly didn't appear to be a priestess, and one of Juuban's most accomplished at that!

"Yes, we are out of Kenji's coffee and I could use some fresh greens and vegetables from your garden if you don't mind. Dinner is at six, sweetheart." Ikuko said as she washed her hands, put plastic wrap over her chicken marinade dish, and found a place in the fridge for it. Ikuko handed Rei some money and told her to keep the change for the jinja.

Rei bent and kissed Ikuko's cheek and thanked her 'mom' with a smile. The Tsukino's home was easily all of the senshi's second home because of Ikuko and Usagi. Rei grinned wider as Ikuko swatted her backside while she said 'Scoot, I'm busy!'

Ikuko watched in pride as 'her' Rei swept out the door. She thought about the person the lonely Miko had become over the years. Risa's daughter had overcome unbelievable hardships and shouldered huge responsibilities no adult would approach. She had certainly become a statuesque, poised, and graceful young lady.

Rei was easily one of the most gorgeous girls she had ever seen in her life besides her own daughter, of course. Rei was very controlled, mysterious, secretive, and had a quick wit. Her features generally ranged from hard, to emotionless, which made her seem much older. She moved with the quiet assurance of a lethal ninja warrior. Come to think of it, Usagi and all her closest friends did. Odd. Ikuko most often felt intimidated by Rei, though. That is until recently.

Tenderness and care had begun to soften the hard edges. It seemed Usagi's love had, once again, worked its magic and pierced through the dark recesses of yet another cold, angry, hurt heart. Usagi's love resembled a master's carving tool made of light, Ikuko mused.

Somewhere along the way, Ikuko feared, her friend's daughter and her own had fallen in love. Light and dark. They needed one another and 'wanted' each other... the same way she needed and wanted her Kenji. Perhaps they had always been in love but hid from it. But it was a palpable aura to Ikuko. Love was in their every gesture and glance.

Ikuko only knew that Rei had begun to look and behave more like an 18-year-old and Usagi had grown up a lot to become a beautiful, immensely talented young woman. She was more responsible, yet still carefree. Usagi still had a penchant for guitars and manga.

Throughout the ups and downs of her relationship with Mamoru, her daughter had, more often than not, wet her pillow over him. In this relationship, there seemed to be a real sense of peace and joy in both. Ikuko would not be the one to take that from them, if not from love, certainly from respect. Perhaps it was a mere curiosity or another phase, and it would just play itself out. Time would tell.

***
Upstairs, yet another drama took place. Setsuna sat next to Usagi on the bed and hugged the girl gingerly because she looked so pale and fragile. How she loved her princess!

Mamoru, however, sat uncomfortably on Usagi's computer chair. His eyes shifted between the hands-on his lap and the tidied clutter... obviously the result of a fastidious Rei Hino. The room looked good. Setsuna handed a glass of water to Usagi and, noting the trembling hands, held the glass for her. The maternal scene made him fidget more and his ears still seemed to burn with Rei's accusations. This was his fault.

Setsuna expressed how sorry she was that her princess was indisposed, she would have come sooner, but it had only recently come to her attention. Usagi assured her that it was all right because her mother wouldn't have let her come in, anyway until this day. Setsuna frowned slightly as her Hime coughed.

"Princess, does this meeting have anything to do with my daughter, Makaria? Are you still angry at me for how I treated her?" Worried garnet eyes sought sapphire in askance while the girl recovered her breath. Usagi cleared some phlegm away before she spoke again huskily.

"This has *everything* to do with your daughter Makaria. For the record, my anger is reserved for situations I understand, Puu. I won't pretend to understand timelines in the Space-Time continuum. I'm just glad Hotaru intervened and you failed after Makaria gave up the kinsuishou's powers. Truthfully, I don't think you would have ever forgiven yourself, had you succeeded. I think we've all suffered enough in the name of destiny, don't you, Setsuna-sama?" Usagi asked pointedly.

"Yes, Hime," Setsuna replied slowly and cast her eyes downward.

"Makaria is not a 'mistake'. Nobody is." Tears of pain pricked Usagi's eyes. "What she tried to do was noble and you need to forgive her. Everything will work out in accordance with the original parameters set by Gaea's destiny oath. You must trust me in this, Setsuna. I suspect that to protect Gaea's will *is* your agenda. I assure you it will happen... just differently." Usagi kissed her old nanny on the cheek and stroked her fingers through verdure locks.

Setsuna flushed at what Usagi implied but responded calmly. "I will try, Serenity." Setsuna gently brushed Usagi's bangs from her eyes and wiped away the sudden tears that had sprung there.

"Mamoru, I started to get sick after Makaria transferred her powers to you. I never associated my slight ague and weakness to you, and I never considered my condition to be serious. I just figured we were both stressed out and I would feel better when things ironed themselves out. But then you started to... not treat me with care. I'm sorry if I offended you when I requested that we not see each other for a while, but for my sake it was necessary." Usagi paused, not knowing quite how to continue.

"I went to the jinja to help Rei, and she noticed I had some unusual bruising on my biceps. She urged me to see the specialist she saw when she was young," She turned towards Setsuna, "and that's where you come in, Setsuna-sama." Setsuna was unnerved and very, very still. Her garnet eyes filled with sorrow.

"When Dr. Wakai looked at me, she insisted that my boyfriend get some professional help. I chose you, Setsuna, to keep it in the family. Or, she said, my boyfriend can expect to be, and I quote, 'prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law' end quote. He has until Monday to do so. I couldn't tell you sooner because I wasn't able to, and for that I am sorry." Usagi could plainly see Mamoru's anger and embarrassment as his countenance suffused and contorted. He was, very likely, damning Rei in his heart.

She addressed him again gently. "I want to help you, because I love you, Mamo-chan. I have chosen Setsuna to take your case for a reason. I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea that the future King of Crystal Tokyo needs therapy. I certainly don't want it to become public knowledge." Usagi paused to take a breath and let it out, slow and controlled.

She took Setsuna's hands into her own and held them gently. "Mamoru, I also feel that it would be best if you acknowledged the fact that our soulmate bond has been severed. It broke when the powers of Pluto entered you. It's not your fault, nor is it mine. But I do ask that you to release us from our marriage engagement until a way can be found to restore our soulbond." Usagi waited for an eruption, but it never came.

Setsuna's normal Mediterranean complexion had turned sheet white. She looked as though she had seen her whole life flash before her eyes at that moment before death, while Mamoru stared at the multitude of cards taped to the wall in stony silence. That went well. Usagi sighed and broke the silence. She spoke again softly.

"You know, sometimes seemingly really awful things must happen in order for a greater purpose to be realized. This may well be one of those times. Can't we be a little flexible and believe that a greater good is worth the compromise?" Usagi exhorted them both.

Usagi felt overwhelmed by a sudden wave of fatigue. As it washed over her, she felt defeated, and as though she hadn't gotten anywhere. This was taking far more out of her than she had ever anticipated. She laid her head back onto the pillows wishing Rei was here. She closed her eyes to rest and waited for someone to speak.

Mamoru rose from his perch on the edge of the computer chair and cleared his throat. "I think I need to go refresh your glass of water, Usagi. I'll be back soon." He said moving towards the door.

"Thank you, Sweetheart," she said softly, "I need to speak with Setsuna privately, anyway. Don't take long, though." Her smile was fleeting towards him as she turned to outer Senshi.

Setsuna caressed Usagi's pale cheek, then felt her forehead. Makaria and she had taken care of Chibi-Serenity many times during the Silver Millennium and this reminded her of the time Princess Serenity had fallen through thin ice while skating. This meeting could not be good for her.

"I can see how hard this has been on you, Usagi. Perhaps we should wait until you are really better, and can think straighter." Setsuna reasoned. Usagi's eyes remained closed as she responded civilly.

"Mamoru doesn't have the time, Setsuna-sama. I can assure you, I am perfectly lucid right now. There has been plenty of time to think about it and organize my thoughts. I have waited long enough for this day. I believe at this juncture in time, it is my choice alone to serve destiny in the manner I feel is most appropriate. Though, others' opinions will be taken under consideration.

Let me lay out what I see are my two options right now. I can dutifully rule Crystal Tokyo for a Millennium by King Endymion's side, each seeking to be with our true soulmates and him abusing me in anger or completely ignoring me. Or, I can resume my mother's reign of the Silver Millennium alone in the safety of my Senshi.

My mother, Selene, said Queen Serenity was invoked by Gaea to create the Silver Millennium so there can be a peaceful union of magic and mundane. I believe I exist to carry on that plan. As such, I have decided that rebuilding the Silver Millennium and taking my Mother's place alone is the fairest option. I will fulfill Gaea's oath and rule the Moon Kingdom in concert with King Endymion's Earth Kingdom. We will be united as one, politically, and defensively. We will help one another economically. I shall serve whatever greater purpose there is in store for us, so long as that purpose is made in love for mankind.

As for today, I believe with all my heart that any decisions made in love for others *will* serve a greater good." Usagi coughed and cleared her throat. Setsuna waited patiently. She knew there was more to be said.

"I know it must seem as though I have made some irrational decisions, but my mind has not been idle while I've had to lay here. I think you already know Mamoru is now your soul mate, courtesy of your daughter. What she did, was done in the name of love and I believe it will be alright, Setsuna-sama. Who knows, she may have even inadvertently made everything better. The Moirai are responsible for much pain and confusion, but maybe we should trust their machinations rather than question them. As you know, I'm a firm believer in the power of love and think it should be given a chance, even if it seems to take a rather unconventional path."

Usagi opened her eyes and smiled affectionately at her old Silver Millennium 'nanny'. Setsuna slowly smiled back, convinced neither by Usagi's logic nor her convictions. Usagi noticed and groaned inwardly and tried again.

"Every self-sacrifice I've ever made for the sake of the well-being of another has been worth it. The phrase, 'you aren't really living until you've found a cause worth dying for', is a good one. My wish is to bring love and hope to where there is none and I will gladly die for its sake as many times as it takes until there is healing." Usagi couldn't suppress a fit of coughing. Setsuna became concerned and lifted her princess upright gently. Usagi lay her head in the crook of Setsuna's neck breathing hard. The Senshi of Pluto waited for Usagi to recover before she spoke softly.

"Sweetie, what is it you want to tell me? Is it that you feel the need to sacrifice yourself again to save someone? I think you need more rest, and less sacrifice at this point so *you* can heal! You haven't even spoken to Mamoru yet." Setsuna chided.

"That's because he wanted to run away!" Usagi snorted as she lay back down on her pillows. "My point is this, Setsuna-sama. I want you to forgive yourself for what happened in the past. The Moirai caused the tryst you had with King Endymion and was not your fault. If you want to blame someone, blame him for not keeping the family jewels to himself in more ways than one. If King Endymion hadn't lost his ability to control Earth's powers, my mother might still be ruling over the Silver Millennium. Stop making these events your personal demons and allow yourself to start loving and living. Your happiness is the other reason I wanted to talk to you privately." Usagi looked away from Setsuna's openly shocked gaze.

"Before you ask, my mother told me, Setsuna. I know everything regarding Millennium histories now. But to be clear; Mamoru and I will never be as we were before, Setsuna, and it is not fair to either one of us to force ourselves into an incompatible relationship for millennia. When he realizes his soulbond is to you, I don't want to be in the way." Usagi's eyes watered, and her jaw trembled, but she met the time senshi's beautiful garnet eyes. They reminded her somewhat of the warm red coals that glowed in the jinja's sacred flame.

"If Mamoru releases me from our engagement, I want you to love him for me and help him through his problems. I want him to be your purpose for living. My greatest wish is for both of you to find love and happiness." Usagi leaned towards Setsuna to kiss her cheek. "Please, Sets-chan, let me end your burden of loneliness. Respect my decision to resurrect the Silver Millennium as a viable option for Gaea's destiny oath. My reign as the sole ruler does not mean I will be alone in the way you have suffered. I will always have my beloved Senshi around me!" She reminded a skeptical-looking Setsuna.

"If it helps you, I will personally take the blame for any current disturbances in the timeline created by my decision. The situation may, or may not, be permanent... only the Morai really know. If it isn't, you will always be blessed by your offspring, Sets-chan." Usagi smiled warmly.

Setsuna's eyes finally brimmed over with tears of untold pain her Princess had nailed and understood. Usagi hadn't called her by that name since she was a small princess in the Moon Kingdom. She squeezed her princess' hand, and dimpled. "All right, Usagi-chan, you win... for now. I understand and I thank you for your kindness to me. I love you too, Serenity. I will seriously consider your proposal." Setsuna allowed.

Usagi's eyes gleamed in response. "Don't thank me yet. There is something else I require of you. 'Share' implies a two-way interaction. I have kept no secrets from you. You know my agenda and my motives. I've bared my soul to you. I expect no less from you. I want you to come to me with everything, even if it causes me pain. Confide in me, trust in me, counsel me wisely. I don't like to make decisions in ignorance, Setsuna-sama, I would much rather make informed ones. Without my Mother, I could not have known or understood any of this mess. As a spirit, she cannot advise me often, though. I need you, Puu, as more than just a Senshi."

Setsuna sat still and quietly studied Usagi's young serious face for a few moments before she reluctantly answered. "I will, Your Majesty. You honor me." She leaned close and kissed Usagi's cheek caringly, "My little princess has truly grown up."

Usagi implored her, "Please don't tell anybody, Sets-chan!" Setsuna laughed at her.

Mamoru made his appearance once again. He had heard much outside the door, but at the laughter, he figured it was safe to come in. He had already reached his own decision prior to and walked with purpose over to Usagi. The Earth Prince knelt on one knee by her bedside, opposite from Setsuna. He took a long delicate hand in each of his big paws and laid his head upon Usagi's breast with a shuddered sigh.

Usagi's tears began to slowly trickle down her cheeks and Setsuna felt their need for privacy. She rose to excuse herself but was stayed by a shake of Mamoru's head. His eyes glistened as he raised his dark head to face her. He let go of one of Usagi's hands, to capture one of Setsuna's slender hands.

"Stay, Setsuna, this ends now. You need to know the truth about me, for Usako's sake." Mamoru sniffed and turned to his lover.

"Usako, I am so sorry I hurt you. I hate myself for my inability to control myself. You are right, Usagi, I do need help. I feel like I have a split personality. I need to find out who I am. Who I've become, so I can help and not hurt.

I did feel our soul bond break and I went a little crazy, but it's not an excuse. I don't deserve your forgiveness, but I can't go on without it, I can't go on with this guilt and pain. Please forgive me, Usako. I accept and thank you for your gracious offer for in-house therapy if Setsuna will agree." Mamoru looked with sincerity into his beloved's pallid face, whose fingers trembled as they ruffled through his dark hair with such tenderness. After a moment, she answered him consolingly.

"Yes, of course, I'll forgive you, my love. All I have ever wanted for you, is your happiness, even if it means without me, darling. I will always love you, soulmate or not. We've gone through far too much together, to just throw it all away! Forever is a long time to live without a soulbond to help us, though. The Fates created soulmates for us because we live such a long time, and that is why I ask you to release us, Mamo-chan. I could really use a big brother and a handsome knight in cape and mask." Usagi smiled gently at him as she swept Mamoru's tears lovingly from his cheeks.

Mamoru choked out his reply in a hoarse whisper, "I-I release you, my love." He slowly, tentatively, pulled his ring from his lover's delicate left ring finger, which he kissed. He brought his chin up so that he could gaze into Usagi's deep sapphire blue eyes. The windows to her soul were bright with consummate love.

"I promise I'll be the best big brother you've ever seen, and will fight like a maniac by your side." The Prince affirmed. He leaned forward to kiss her lips and she met him halfway. They kissed as deeply as they could with Usagi's lack of breathing capacity. Then he made his proclamation with an energetic ring of finality.

"My love for you will never stop, Usako. You are not exactly someone a person can ever truly get over. Or should. You will always be my Usako if that's alright with you. I wish you every happiness and I promise I will make every effort to see that you remain that way." He smiled tremulously and with a huge sigh, he got up off of his knees and bowed deeply. "Your merest wish is my command, Queen Usako!" Mamoru ended gallantly with the sweep of a hand.

"I love being your 'Usako', and I thank you, Mamoru. 'Queen Usako'... I like it! It has a certain pizzazz." Usagi giggled and turned to face Setsuna.

"Setsuna-sama, I need to speak to Mamoru now privately. Some green tea would be delightful if I might oblige you. Usagi winked at Setsuna whose lips quirked into a smile. She squeezed Usagi's shoulder and went downstairs to chat with Ikuko and Kenji sitting in their living room.

Mamoru perched on the bed next to Usagi and regarded her quietly for a moment. When Setsuna's footfalls receded into silence, he addressed her.

"You want to talk to me about Rei-san, don't you? She is your soulmate, isn't she?" He asked quietly. Usagi nodded in affirmation.

"Yes, she is, Mamoru. I am her female soul mate, just as Jadeite was her male soul mate. When Gaea's spirit within you was altered, our bond was broken, and my soul actively sought hers.

We have a choice, Mamo-chan. According to my Mother, we can get married and use both our crystals together to build Crystal Tokyo... then live for millennia without a soulmate bond to serve destiny. Or, we can serve destiny by the re-creation of the Silver Millennium as it was intended. The kinsuishou can more than likely be used to rebuild the Earth Kingdom and the ginsuishou can rebuild the Moon Kingdom and restore the other planets to their original splendor. And we can live for millennia with our soulmates.

The question is, Mamoru, do you wish to serve destiny bound together by duty, or independently with love? I'll let you choose." Usagi finished levelly. Mamoru couldn't meet Usagi's intense blue sapphire eyes, so Usagi touched his chin and forced him to look at her directly.

"Let me help you. Think about what has happened already between us without our soulbond in place. Ask yourself who it is your soul seeks for completion. Who do you want to share your bed with for the next millennia?" Usagi asked rather impertinently. Mamoru squirmed uncomfortably.

"You were right; I do love Setsuna. I am so sorry, Usako. I hope you can forgive me... again." His Adam's apple bobbed visibly on his throat. "I choose love over duty." Mamoru blushed hard, but Usagi only dimpled in response.

"I'm glad, for that is what I choose also. I am in love with Rei and want to share my life with her in the form of a blood bond oath. May we have your permission to do so?" She posed with dignity.

Mamoru's stormy ocean blue eyes glinted with cognizance, in his heart, he knew the two women had waited for his permission. He answered with the conviction of love for her in his voice. "Yes, my gracious love. I don't ever want you to be alone. I'm afraid if we had married, my duties as King would have, most likely, kept us apart for lengthy intervals. I would have neither faulted nor hated you had you chosen a permanent consort to watch over you, even as you slept. In fact, I know I would have preferred it that way, and I can't think of a better protector than Rei. But this doesn't matter now.

I will never stand in the way of your relationship with Rei, or keep you from her bed because I love you and I know you need each other. I-I don't think I would ever be able to provide you with the emotional support she offers, and I know I can't match her fiery passion." he finished quietly.

Usagi was touched by his selflessness and her eyes were moist when she responded to him. "Oh, Mamo-chan, thank you! I already know Chibi-Usa is Setsuna's and it's all right with me. I will always love her as my own daughter." Usagi felt a mixture of overwhelming relief and exquisite rapture.

Mamoru felt his face flush. Somehow, in a remote part of his heart, when he first looked upon Chibi Usa he wondered if she was Usagi's. He had no clue how that could have happened at that time. Because of Usagi's acceptance of Small Lady, he hadn't dwelt too much on it.

Usagi laid her head on Mamoru's chiseled, muscular chest and he could feel her warmness. He held and rocked her gently to himself. They stayed that way in comfortable silence, lost in their individual thoughts until Usagi murmured into his shirt.

"Mamo, do you suggest we marry and create Crystal Tokyo, but keep our respective soulmates as our bed partners? Isn't that sort of, um... unconventional? Can we live that way?" She asked, genuinely perplexed. Mamoru laughed heartily in his rich baritone voice. He squeezed her gently as he replied in mirth.

"Why not? Can you think of any royal couple who isn't strange in some way? We can have all the Senshi around us with their soulmates and loads of children underfoot. Our castle will be a huge, happy family!" He teased her. Usagi sighed her relief. He wasn't put off by her desire for Rei, and she hadn't even considered them all living together as an option! She spoke with ardor.

"What would I ever do without you, Mamo? I do love you! But right now, the only bond I want to commit to is the blood bond to Rei. I'm not ready for Crystal Tokyo, or a new Silver Millennium until I graduate." Usagi paused.

If you decide to marry Setsuna once and for all, you have my blessing, because I love both of you. However, Mamoru, if you do marry her and our bond is somehow restored, I don't want you to abandon her, or mistreat her in any way. She has suffered enough." Usagi exhorted him benevolently.

"The 30th century Crystal Tokyo we saw when we fought the Black Moon, was only one future, and we changed it when we went there. Destiny is shaped by events, bonds, and oaths, which are ultimately controlled by the Moirai Sisters. When our bond broke our future broke, Mamoru and marriage for us out of the question. My choice, at present, is the Silver Millennium." She laughed a little, "although you paint a pretty exciting, if not risqué, picture of Crystal Tokyo!"

Mamoru squeezed her more tightly. He cleared his throat and wiped some stray tears from his eyes. "I think I prefer to leave my options open for a time and you can go ahead with your bond to Rei. It won't change anything between you and me, anyway." He raised his chin from off the top of her head, "Are we finished with our privacy, darling?" He asked.

"Mmmm hmmm. I believe we are." She replied and nodded against him, "You can call Setsuna... your beloved, back in." And so he did.

Setsuna came back into the room with tea for everyone. She smiled at their closeness. "What happened? You both look so happy!" She asked with interest.

"We are," Usagi responded, "but we will talk about it when I feel better. Let's have tea right now." She smiled as her friends crowded close to her, one on each side, and she helped herself to some tea before she settled comfortably against her pillows. "There is one more important thing that needs to be said before you go. I think I know why you wanted to kill your daughter, my mother's soulmate, Setsuna." Usagi took a long draught on her tea before returning to the tray. Setsuna's eyes met her gaze.

"There is only one daughter of Chronos and Titanide Themis, and only one true Keeper of the Time Gate. That is you, Setsuna. No offspring of yours by any other God, or Demigod, can ever be a replacement or be another in competition, even in another dimension." The gaze was poignant.

"Another important history reminder. To aid the link between the Earth and the Moon's destiny oath and their two powers, the silver and gold crystals were instigated by Gaea. Kinsuishou to control only that of Earth's magic and ginsuishou to control the Moon's magic plus the magic from all eight of the other planets. They were designed to complement and augment each other's powers.

I *already* control the power of Pluto through the ginsuishou. My crystal will only ever draw Earth's power from the kinsuishou. The two crystals shall always be connected thusly despite the firstborn possessing them. I might add, that the Moon's crystal is in addition to the power I wield over the moon as the daughter of the God Apollo and Goddess Selene. The Endymion's can claim no such innate power further than that of eternal youth and their star seed."

Setsuna nodded her head slowly. "I understand. You are saying the raw power of pure godhood will always be more powerful and outweigh that of any demigod. My daughter has done a very noble thing by returning Earth's crystal. Its corruption is of little consequence beyond mate bonds and her existence will never go beyond Senshi powers to Pluto." Tears began streaming down the face of the older Pluto guardian. "Makaria begged me to kill her, Serenity-sama."

"I'm so sorry, Setsuna. I hope you can find your daughter so we can help her." Usagi was exhausted. She hugged both of her companions at once. "I really must rest now. Why don't you two go out to dinner and discuss... terms of therapy!" Usagi prodded with a tired grin. "My only request is that formal paperwork is drawn up and sent to Dr. Wakai's office."

Setsuna and Mamoru blushed, they stood and bowed to their future Moon Queen to take their leave. Setsuna picked up the tea tray and headed for the door.

Mamoru bent to kiss Usagi and whispered in her ear. "You are so noble! It might be possible for Rei to restore the kinsuishou to its original intended form, which might reinstate our soul bond."

Usagi smiled. "Rei might be able to do the honors through the powers of Hecate she possesses. She has the potential to be a powerful Arch Mage in her own right, but it might take a while for her to learn how. Diana, however, could do it easily."

"Diana." He whispered, "I had forgotten... " Mamoru bit his lip. 'I have caused Usako two lifetimes of pain', he thought remorsefully. "What I mean to say is, should she do this, I won't stand in the way of the love you both share, my sweet. Get well soon." He smiled charmingly and winked. She watched Mamoru slip her ring into his pocket as he took Setsuna's hand.

"Sayonara, Mamoru. I truly loved you... " she whispered.

***
Usagi rolled over onto her knotted, sore, stomach, and coughed painfully into her pillow. With all her resolve spent to keep her emotions in check, she finally let her tears flow.

Mamoru and Setsuna bid the Tsukino's and Rei goodbye, who were all in the kitchen busily preparing for supper. Ikuko was determined to make a cook of Rei, 'for her own good', but when Rei gave Ikuko her most pathetic puppy dog eyes, Ikuko laughed.

"I know you want to be elsewhere. Go ahead, you bum... shoo! Kenji and I will finish up in here." Ikuko swished both her hands in a shoo-ing motion.

Rei ran. She had known the moment Usagi had been released from the matrimonial bond. It was as though the last barrier between their souls had dropped. And right now, she could feel Usagi as she fell apart. It had taken all her strength and courage to break up with Mamoru. She could not be brave anymore.

Usagi rolled onto her back and reached for Rei as she closed the room door and the Miko swooped into the outstretched arms. Usagi knew she would come. They held each other and cried for a while. Usagi shook terribly.

"Oh, Rei, what have I done? I'm scared I've done the wrong thing!" Usagi sniffed. Rei suddenly felt fearful.

"Do you have some regrets? You're not sure you want to go through with... us? Do you want me to leave and give you some space?" Rei's heart was breaking. Usagi froze. She felt Rei's pain pierce through her own heart. She gasped and clutched her chest.

"Ohh... Rei, that hurts! I didn't mean to cause you pain! I want you with all my heart. Please don't leave me, I need you more than ever right now." Rei held and rocked Usagi as she trembled uncontrollably. The princess coughed and wept while she hiccuped over her words. "It's over. It's really over, after all these years. There's no more soul bond to him and it hurts so much. I hurt, Rei! And I'm so afraid. What if I have angered the Gods this day?" Usagi sobbed and Rei miserably wished she were better at this sort of thing.

"I know it hurts, Angel, and I am here for you. I will take care of you and I promise everything will be alright because I love you." Rei soothed.

"I feel so drained and weak now, Rei," Usagi croaked.

"Hang in there, Baby, food is on its way." Rei kissed her forehead.

Usagi replied weakly, "I'm trying to, Rei, but I need energy. Today took too much out of me." She laid her head wearily against Rei's breast and listened to the steady heartbeat. Her fingers clutched around the fabric of Rei's sweatshirt and she closed her eyes. Usagi could feel Rei's warm energy surge into her body.

As Rei's sigil flared, Setsuna and Mamoru both stopped in their tracks on the walkway. "We have to go back," Setsuna exclaimed. Mamoru nodded. As one they ran back and knocked on the door. Kenji opened it in surprise.

Mamoru smiled. "We forgot something important in Usagi's room," he explained apologetically.

The door to Usagi's room closed firmly and seeing how Mars was able to siphon her energy to the ginsuishou, the powers of Pluto and Earth joined that of Mars. The ginsuishou glowed brighter and brighter, then it rose from Usagi's chest and oriented towards the kinsuishou now gleaming and lifting in response. Usagi's color improved as the illness was slowly dissipated from her body, the ginsuishou finally having enough energy to heal.

"Thank you," Usagi whispered to all her friends. "I'm sorry I'm so much trouble, I didn't mean to scare everyone." Her eyes watered in gratitude.

Setsuna clasped her Princess' hand. "I wish we could have done so sooner."

Mamoru stepped in to take her other hand. "That drained me, but the power I felt... Usagi, I think we are going to be alright." His spirit soared. "Sets-chan," Mamoru winked, "Shall we?"

"We shall. Let's leave these two love birds alone. We have a dinner date." The pair linked arms and apologized to Kenji once more on the way out.

Usagi's chin was tilted up, then she felt warm, soft, familiar lips kiss the wetness from her cheeks. She began to relax when she felt Rei's comfort surround her. "That was incredible!"

"Are you completely healed, Princess?" Rei nuzzled into her love's silky hair. "Can I check for bruises?" She grinned wickedly.

"Yes, and no you may not. You may indulge in my company for dinner. Lots and lots of dinner. I have an abnormally high metabolism, according to my mom." Usagi smacked Rei's hands away from her nightshirt.

"Well, If an 'abnormal metabolism' is the worst thing that can happen to us, I think we will be pretty fortunate. I imagine if the doctors ever saw your sigil, they'd have a veritable field day with you, my little lab rat... or is that lab rabbit?" She chuckled and leaned in to kiss Usagi's forehead to make her point. Then spoke again softly. "I want you to know, Usa, you aren't any trouble at all. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to take care of you, okay?"

Rei squeezed her Angel, "I think your weaknesses are part of your charm and keep you humble... " Rei smiled at her affectionately, "otherwise, you'd be insufferable, my Dango!" Usagi smiled back shyly. Rei could be so sweet.

Ikuko announced herself as she pushed the door open with her foot because her hands were full. Usagi's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Fooood! Oh, glorious food! Come to me, my succulent feast!" She gushed.

Ikuko's heart hurt a little when she espied the lack of Mamoru's engagement ring on her daughter's left ring finger. So. "Yes my sweet, I come bearing a sumptuous bounty for my starving Bunny. There's plenty more if you need it. You are looking much better!"

"I feel better. We had a lot of burdens to offload." She smiled brightly aware her mother had noticed the lack of her ring.

Rei grabbed a robe, her nightwear, and toiletries, then excused herself to use the bathroom, having also noticed Ikuko's scrutiny.

When Ikuko had the opportunity to be alone with Usagi, she plied her daughter about her boyfriend. Ikuko was given the clinical version to explain the deterioration of her relationship with him. Ikuko couldn't help but feel a small twinge of disappointment when she discovered Usagi was not pregnant. Perhaps that was a good thing, though, because the fetus would not have survived the fevers.

Ikuko was not used to secrecy between herself and Kenji but determined in her heart that it would be best if Kenji did not know about Mamoru's behavior towards his daughter. She also decided that the girls should be the ones to share the true nature of their relationship with whomever they wanted to and when they were ready to. Why the two girls had bonded, though, was now clearly understandable to Ikuko.

To be continued...

Japanese Terms

Omamori- protection amulet, frequently bought at New Years
Sayonara- goodbye