Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Risa ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 13 (M)
Risa, An Angel Gone Too Soon

Ikuko had known about Rei's past for a long time. As she closed her eyes that night, she buried her face into her pillow. But she could still see, and hear in vivid detail, the horror in the death of one of her best friends as it unfolded...

Ikuko had been on shift when Takashi had brought his pregnant wife into the emergency room and was transported immediately to the maternity ward. By Risa's request, Ikuko had been asked to be one of the nurses to attend Megumi's premature delivery. Ikuko could still remember the knot of fear she felt that day... Risa was hemorrhaging and the baby was not ready to be born.

Risa had been excited, she knew the baby was a long-awaited boy. She hadn't understood how serious her condition was. Ikuko quietly gave the order for blood to be given, but their blood supply was low, and Risa couldn't wait. When Ikuko transfused her own O+ blood on the spot, Risa had been confused.

Ikuko had held Risa's hand and watched helplessly by her bedside while the doctors valiantly tried to save her long-time school friend and her baby. She watched as Takashi took his distraught little girl and placed her into a chair in the corner of the room out of the way. She could still hear the little girl's father try to console her in a strained voice.

Ikuko put her head under her pillow and pressed the sides over her ears with her hands. But she could still hear Rei's screams of 'Mommy' over, and over, again as she watched her mother bleed and not move. She watched as the senator held his wife as she took her last breaths and watched him sob uncontrollably, unable to let go of her dead form. Ikuko removed the transfusion IV from herself and Risa in complete numbness. She had to leave Risa's side to take care of the precious new life. Then Megumi died 3 days later from complications. He had just been too premature.

Ikuko could still smell the bouquets of flowers as she held Kenji's hand tightly the day they attended the double funeral service. There had been one large casket, and a tiny one small enough to put shoes in on display.

She had taken notice of the small dark-haired girl, who stood silent and alone, with a bewildered expression on her little face. She looked so forlorn... and forsaken. Her grief-stricken father, on the other hand, had been surrounded by well-wishers. Ikuko's heart ached at the memory... the funeral scene was only a mere prelude for what was to come.

Five years later, Ikuko saw Risa's beloved daughter again as she was rushed into her emergency room, battered and unconscious. Ikuko was not about to let her friend's little girl die! She and her team worked hard to stabilize Rei and had barely managed to save her. The little girl underwent immediate surgery to stop the internal bleeding, then was moved to ICU. She eventually was wheeled into a recovery room in the pediatric ward.

Rei's tragic childhood, and near loss, had deeply affected Ikuko. It was a major factor in her decision to come home. Shortly after Rei was released, Ikuko handed in her resignation... after 15 years of work in the emergency room. It had gotten to be too much of an emotional drain and her own children, she realized, were growing up without her.

Kenji and Ikuko had wanted to file for custody of Risa's little girl when her father went into voluntary therapy, but custody had already been awarded to Risa's father. So Rei went to live at the Hikawa Jinja with her Ojiisan.

Ikuko had been glad a few years later when Usagi finally met, by chance, and befriended Risa's lonely daughter at the temple. The jinja wasn't exactly a place Usagi would normally hang out and most of Usagi's friends were made at school. Rei hadn't even gone to the same school. Senator Hino requested that his daughter continue to attend the prestigious private catholic TA school. It was what Risa had wanted. It was honored and funded by his own, now considerable, life savings. Maybe Fate had brought the two girls together.

Today, Ikuko not only had to come to grips with her own daughter's estranged relationship with Mamoru but her 'preference' for Rei as well. Ikuko wept brokenheartedly into her pillow for the first time in many, many years. Not since her beautiful friend had... left her.

Kenji slid quietly into the bed, then put his arms comfortingly around his upset wife.

"Those haunting memories of Risa Hino have been bothering you a lot since Rei's been staying here, haven't they?" Kenji whispered as he nuzzled his wife's soft hair. Ikuko nodded against his chest.

"I'm so sorry. I wish things could have worked out differently, too. But you know... we do still have each other and two wonderful children of our own." He reminded her gently. "If something had ever happened to Ojiisan all those years ago, Rei would have been our third. I know Risa would have wanted for us to have her."

Ikuko blew her nose and she kissed Kenji tenderly, "I need you, Kenji." She whispered.

No more words needed to be spoken as Kenji undressed his still beautiful bride and made tender, slow love to her.

To be continued...

Japanese Terms

Risa- Reason
Takashi- Prosperous