Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ Wrath of Artemis ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 17(T)
Wrath of Artemis, A Test of Love

Rei and Usagi made quick work of Mako's exquisite culinary delicacies leftover from lunch. Rei had begun the clean-up process in the kitchen and told her Jinja mate she could pull a spare futon into the warm fire room to do her homework.

Rei finished her chores and headed for her private bathroom. She passed Usagi who was scribbling away in a notebook with her books scattered all around her. Rei smiled and watched her princess for a few minutes.

Rei shaved, trimmed herself, then took a leisurely shower. She put on a royal blue silk negligee, with bottoms that matched, which made her large amethyst eyes look an even deeper shade of royal purple, almost like tanzanite. She meticulously groomed her hair to its fullest luster.

When she was satisfied with every personal detail, she applied a whisper of perfume. She smelled faintly of warm spices and smoke and looked the Goddess she was. Beats the smell of wyrm dung, she thought wryly.

Rei went back into the fire room where the object of her affection was. Usagi had fallen asleep, pen still in hand, and was lightly snoring. Rei sighed, then brushed the haphazard bangs from Usagi's forehead. She bent to lay a tender kiss where her sigil would be.

Usagi stirred and drowsily opened her eyes to a vision of loveliness. Her breath left her. Rei was... stunning.

"Rei... you... I-I think I need to go wash up!" Usagi stammered like a kid caught doing something naughty, while rapidly stuffing books back into her knapsack. Rei laughed at her.

"Go ahead, you'll feel like a new woman. I need to meditate for a while, so take your time. How's your head lump, Angel?" Rei asked while she tried to feel for the tender area.

"It healed when I transformed, thank you. Besides you didn't think a little bump on the noggin would keep me from our plans, did you?" Usagi asked as shocked as possible. "Be grateful it was my hard head targeted and not my hollow knees. I'd have been in real trouble, then. That's where I hide my food reserves."

"Well, maybe I was worried a little. Ok, I was scared... happy?" Rei begrudged, as Usagi stood to complete her mission.

Usagi drew her lips up into a sly smirk, "very," then left her dark angel. She decided to use the traditional washroom to shave and rinse off. She put her hair up and slid into the furo's deep warm water to soothe away her senshi training aches. Usagi let her mind wander, but found that she could think only of Rei. She felt herself blush and decided she should probably get out of the public bathwater before she regretted it. She padded back over to the shower in the washroom, used some floral-scented body wash, and shampooed her hair.

After she dried herself off, she put on a white satin and lace negligee with its matched bottoms. Usagi brushed her knee-length hair until its sheen resembled a bright, full moon and left it down. She decided her bond to Rei was worth every small extra effort, so she gave herself a full-blown manicure/pedicure.

Usagi found the dark blue velvety box that contained the gift Rei had given to her for her 18th birthday. In it, nestled a slender choker and an ankle bracelet, both of which consisted of a series of tiny, faceted royal indigo sapphires set in gold. It also came with a pair of small post earrings that matched. As she put the jewelry on, she was reminded of the promises Rei had made to her that day and realized... the Miko had kept them all.

Rei had told Usagi ancient Romans considered the sapphire to be the birthstone for April and Aries. But to Rei, they reminded her of her princess's eyes. Sapphires represented truth, sincerity, and faithfulness... just as her princess did. Rei had promised she would be each of those qualities to Usagi in return. So she had.

Usagi had been almost positive the jewelry had belonged to either her mother or her grandmother. Rei couldn't have afforded them. Usagi hadn't known whether or not she should have felt honored or worried. She hadn't wanted Rei to purge herself of everything that reminded her of her mother and grandmother.

Usagi smiled. She remembered that she had cried so hard, Rei had been afraid she wouldn't accept her gift. Rei had tried to assure her, that the jewelry's sentimental value would be multiplied if her princess consented to wear it. The blush that ensued on Rei's face when Usagi thanked her, then kissed her, had been so worth it!

When Usagi was finally satisfied with her appearance, she daubed a small drop of the Venusian perfume onto the hollow of her neck. It smelt of fragrant flowers after a slow rainfall. The ginsuishou glittered brilliantly in her cleavage. She was ready.

Luna brushed up against her bare leg and Usagi reached down to stroke her black fur. "Do you think we are making a mistake, Luna?"

"No, Usagi. I always knew there was more than one path, though I favored the Crystal Tokyo path, I think this one is the right one. This blood bond will be both a blessing and a curse, Princess Serenity. Artemis and I are blood bonded. I want to observe yours if you will permit me." The cat's crimson eyes glittered with emotion.

Usagi smiled at her long time, furry friend. "Of course you may. I would be honored if you saw us bond first hand, Luna. Are you upset with my being with Rei and not the Earth Prince? You haven't spoken of it."

Luna sighed. "I have been around for a long time, Princess. While all of you senshi were being born into humanity with no memories of your former lives, Artemis and I did not lose them. I have realized, now, that the Destiny Link and the two crystals will always be magically in place, but the lives that shape them are governed by The Fates. You look beautiful, Princess. Go to her and be happy. I shall watch where you can't see me."

Usagi took a deep breath and re-entered the fire room where Rei wore her Shinto robes over her nightwear and knelt in prayer.

Rei felt Usagi's presence and smiled secretly. She didn't have to turn around to know Usagi had made herself beautiful just for her. But Rei wasn't quite as prepared as she thought she would be for the vision that greeted her eyes. Her eyes slowly began their travel upward. They started with a lovely pedicure on delicate feet, the sapphire bracelet around a petite ankle, hard sculpted calves, and... oh Kami! Rei gulped. Usagi had, by far, the most beautiful dancer's legs she'd ever seen. Up close.

Rei drew her eyes upward to the tiny waist, firm chest, and the long slender neck that displayed the gifted sapphire choker which caught the firelight and made the glitter of the gems almost purple hued. Then, she took in the fine features of Usagi's beautiful face, and those opulent sapphire eyes. If heaven knew her, its angels would fall just to be near her radiance.

Rei closed her eyes when her heart fluttered wildly in her chest, then smelt of her fragrance. She tried hard not to hyperventilate and repeated inwardly, 'Rei... breathe in, Rei... breathe out.' To prevent giddiness, she opened her eyes, only to meet Usagi's. They twinkled with merriment.

Usagi held her hands out to invite Rei to stand and join her. Rei took Usagi's hands and almost gasped at the electricity that passed between them at the touch. She stood a little unsteadily. The bond was really going to happen! Rei blushed profusely when Usagi slowly removed her Shinto robes, folded them carefully, and set them aside. Then, recapturing Rei's lightly tanned, calloused hands she spoke softly.

"Rei, am I who completes you?" She asked. When Rei found her voice, at last, she answered.

"Yes, Usagi, you are. Usagi, am I who completes you?" Rei countered, and Usagi answered her beloved.

"Yes, Rei, you are. We must ask a god or goddess to preside over and guide us through, any vows we wish to share. Which vow is it you wish to share with me, Rei?" Usagi asked in a sure, steady voice. A lump rose stubbornly in Rei's tight throat, which she swallowed down nervously.

"I... I wish with all my heart and soul to share an eternal blood bond with you my sweet Serenity," Rei almost whispered, "which vow is it you wish to share with me?" Rei husked, voice thick with emotion.

Usagi smiled a little at Rei's choice of names before she responded. "I wish with all my being to share an eternal blood bond with you, my precious Diana." Usagi leaned forward and laid a soft butterfly kiss upon Rei's perfect lips.

"Since I know my own Mother, I will ask her to officiate alongside your Mother. When you meet your Mother, you will understand why I want them both here." Usagi hid her amusement by the removal of her hands from Rei's and facing the fire. She brought her hands together, palms up, and willed the ginsuishou forth. She closed her eyes and concentrated.

Rei held her breath and trembled slightly, in awe of her partner. She *never* got tired of the ginsuishou's display of power. Usagi's power.

As before, the fire flared brightly and the air shimmered with a light that coalesced into two beings. One Rei recognized right away as Goddess Selene, but the other was a mirrored image of her own self, almost down to the last detail. The blood drained from her face. She fainted dead away.

Usagi caught Rei and gently lowered her onto the floor. She knelt beside her fallen mate and held her upper body in her arms. She stroked her ebony bangs, as she spoke soothingly to her.

"Rei-chan, it's all right... wake up, love. This is your mother, the Goddess Artemis. I, too, am shocked at how much you resemble her." Rei's eyes fluttered open, aware of Usagi's soft voice and caresses.

"Did I just pass out? Oh, Princess, I'm so sorry," tears pricked her eyes. "I'm such an embarrassment!" Rei's facial color returned in a hurry as she looked up at her angel, mortified. Usagi's dimples showed, then whispered back.

"Mmmm, some bodyguard you are! After all of this time, I finally know you are human, now. We need to transform, tough girl." Usagi's dark blue eyes gleamed with mirth.

Rei looked up at her Mother's immobile visage shyly and made a wry face, "I'm sorry, I haven't given you a very good first impression, have I?" Rei struggled to a knee with Usagi's help.

Usagi stood, then used her henshin pen to become the beautiful Eternal Sailor Moon. She stepped towards her Mother, her gleaming white wings folded. Rei was left to face her own mother, alone.

Rei reached for her henshin pen with her right hand and felt air displacement from something sharp as it came swiftly towards her exposed throat. With her left thumb and index finger, Rei stopped the blade inches from its intended target.

In an instant, Rei was filled with the fire of Mars and transformed, not into Eternal Sailor Mars but into the Goddess Diana. Where Artemis was clad in silvery mithril armor, somewhat reminiscent of Galaxia, so Diana was clad in metallic red armor which covered thick leather trappings that reminded Usagi of the wyrm hides Princess Diana had worn on Mars. The armor seemed to glow like molten metal in the firelight. The Goddesses were eye to eye.

Artemis' weapon turned white-hot and the Goddess dropped it with a loud clatter onto the hardwood floor. Diana glanced over towards Eternal Sailor Moon. She had already summoned Exavyre. Oh, Kami!

Usagi was deceptively strong, but her true strength lay in her swift, deadly, accuracy. Rei knew there was no one she knew who existed, herself included, that matched Usagi's lethal blade and speed. The addition of Hephaestus' magic sword didn't help matters. A snowball in Hephaestus' forge came to mind. Diana's lips formed the word 'no' and the sword lowered.

Meanwhile, Artemis silently reached behind her for a silver arrow but found she had a nocked, deadly flaming arrow from a fiery bow of magic already at her own throat. Artemis froze.

Diana had moved with feral quickness, her eyes ablaze. Her whole being radiated heat and power. She made a formidable presence. Diana's lips moved in a silent incantation that immobilized the Goddess Artemis. The bow dissipated. Diana now wore a deadly calm expression upon her countenance, her eyes were brilliant tanzanite, their purpose terrible to behold.

Sailor Moon was terrified and watched in horror as her beloved's demeanor evolved into someone she did not know and could not remember. This Diana only vaguely resembled the young warrior princess she had fallen in love with on Mars. She had only heard stories of the Goddess Diana, prodigy child of Hecate, and Ares' chosen. Tiny beads of sweat formed on her brow as Exavyre remained steadfast in her grip singing its joy of battle. But her white, partially unfurled, wings trembled. She controlled her heart rate and respiration... and waited.

The Goddess Selene was quiescent and unperturbed for the moment. And she waited.

The air seemed to grow still as the tension in the fire room rose. Then the Goddess Diana spoke for the first time. Diana's quiet voice was slightly deeper than Sailor Mars', yet held the same musical qualities.

"Mother, you have been summoned here for a peaceful purpose. Yet you dare threaten to kill me, unprovoked, and desecrate my holiest of places. Your behavior has also caused me to frighten my beloved, which I find intolerable. There will be no bloodshed here today. While I may hold your blood in my veins, I have no taste for your vindictive nature, nor do I desire your propensity for murderous bloodlust!

I have been reborn so that I might preserve and protect life. I give my allegiance and bow only to the Serenities who share my same values." To make her point, Diana knelt on one knee and bowed low before the renamed Goddess, Queen Serenity, and Eternal Sailor Moon.

Queen Serenity spoke then softly. "Rise Avatar Diana of Mars, I am ever honored by the allegiance of your soul, no matter what form it may take. You must find a way for peace with your Mother before she will grant an audience to your request." She admonished gently.

The Goddess Diana rose to her full 6'2" height. She willed herself to become Eternal Sailor Mars and shrank a couple of inches in size. She wore fuku and heels instead of flat-heeled boots and molten armor. She faced Artemis. Mars whispered a counterspell to release her Mother.

Artemis, freed of the spell, immediately bent to reach for her sword. Mars' foot had already stepped hard on the hilt end, causing the blade to lift. With one swift, fluid motion she kicked the blade towards Queen Serenity who caught it neatly by the hilt.

The two Serenities who wielded the broad swords made an almost comical combination. Almost. Mars shuddered inwardly. She faced her determined Mother who stood slowly with Mars' katana tip pressed lightly against her throat where her jugular visibly throbbed.

"Stand and face the soul I have divinely become in this timeline, Mother. I am not a mistake. I have a purpose and my life has meaning. I will not let you take it." Mars bit out meaningfully. Then her features composed into a fathomless expression, her voice, when she spoke again, was with quiet authority.

"It was my intention to ask you for my rite of passage from maidenhood to womanhood in this, my 18th human year. I do not ask passage through matrimony, nor by acceptance into Amazonian abstinence, but rather by an eternal blood bond oath with my soulmate, the Princess Serenity.

As Patron Goddess of vows, oaths, and youth passage, I ask your permission to perform this sacred ceremony as my youth passage. I ask nothing of my Mother. Will you, or will you not grant us your blessing in this matter?" Mars demanded quietly. Artemis adopted a regal demeanor and beheld her only blood 'offspring' with shrewd eyes.

"Hecate has taught and raised you well. Truly you are more her daughter and less mine own. In deference to the love I share with my lunar sisters, I shall ignore your impertinence in reference to my character! I will allow the eternal blood bond, exalted warrior, Diana." A slow smile spread across the huntress' features. She then opened her arms wide to invite a confused Mars into them.

Mars stepped warily forward into a position where she could either be struck dead or be loved. She closed her eyes to accept her fate, barely breathing.

Then she felt a tender, unarmored embrace surround her. And Mars wept for the first time, as she had 13 years ago, in the white-robed arms of her real Mother. Mars let all the tears of her hardships fall shamelessly upon the bosom of the one person who could truly heal what her mortal parents had shattered over the millennia... trust in unconditional love and acceptance.

The Serenities still waited quietly by, but now in humbled wonder, while the two powerful women reconciled tearfully.

For the once estranged mother and daughter, it was now time to leave behind a childhood neither had experienced together. Artemis let go of her beautiful daughter and smiled radiantly at her.

"We may now begin your rite of passage ceremony." Artemis declared majestically.

To be continued...