Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Princess ❯ The Adoption ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Princess
Chapter Four: The Adoption
---------------------------
Haruka sat in a leather chair opposite of her parents. Haruka couldn't believe how much her parents have changed over the years. Her father's black hair was mostly grey, his face had more wrinkles around his mouth and eyes, and his dark green eyes that used to be full of life and energy were now dull and warn out. Her mother's golden blonde hair was the same but her face had change just like her husbands -worn out and exhausted.
They sat in silence just looking at each other, thinking about how they've changed or how disappointed they were of the other. The silence was broken by the ringing of the door bell. Ms. Parker entered the room.
“Sorry for the interruption but Mr. Lawman is here to see you.” Haruka's father nodded his head, “Thank you Ms. Parker.” Mr. Lawman was the Tomoe's lawyer and he has come to discuss what their wishes were involving Hotaru. Mr. Lawman entered the living room and Haruka's father got up off his chair and shook his hand. “It's nice to see you again Jared.” He went over to Haruka's mother and shook her hand then came over to Haruka,
“So you must be Haruka.” The man smiled and shook her hand. He sat down in a chair near Haruka and opened his briefcase pulling out a folder of papers. “First off, I have something for you Haruka.” He handed her an envelope with her name on it, she took it and opened it. Inside was a letter and along with that was a small ring. She began reading the letter but stopped. The letter was from her sister Hitomi. Haruka got up off her chair, excused herself and head for Hotaru's room. She opened the door to her room and walked up to the crib. Hotaru was sleeping holding her teddy bear. Haruka sat down on the floor and leaned up against the cribs legs. She looked at the letter in her hands that were shacking uncontrollably. Haruka took a deep breath and began reading the letter once more.
Hello Haruka,
if you are reading this letter that means something has happened to us and we are no longer with the living.
We were wondering if you would do us a big favour. Will you take care of our little princess Hotaru? I would have asked our parents but you know them, they wouldn't love her the way you would love her and care for her. I know it's a lot to ask of you but I know once you meet her you will love her like your own daughter. Please Haru, will you do this for us? If it's money you are worried about don't be. Hotaru inherited all our belongings. Give it some thought Haruka; I know you will not regret it. Do it not just for me and Souichi but for Hotaru, she needs a loving parent.
The ring that is in the envelope could you give it to Hotaru when she is older, it was Souichi's mother's wedding ring and he wants it kept in the family.
Thanks Haruka,
Love your sister,
Hitomi Tome
Haruka let the letter fall to the ground. `Hitomi wants me to raise her daughter.' She rested her head on the crib and closed her eyes. `I can't raise her; I have enough problems of my own.'
Laughing interrupted her thought, she opened her eyes and got up off the floor, she looked into the crib were the laughing came from. Hotaru was playing with her teddy bear, Haruka smiled.
“Hello Hotaru.” Hotaru put her arms up wanting Haruka to pick her up. She gave in and picked her up.
“There you are.” Ms. Parker entered the room, “Your parents are asking for you in the living room.” Haruka handed Hotaru to Ms Parker and left the room heading for the living room.
She entered the room, her parents were arguing about something. Mr. Lawman looked up at Haruka and smiled, “Did you read that letter in the envelope I gave you?” She nodded yes.
“Have you come to a decision then?” The man got up off his chair. “I'll have to think about it.” She ran her hand through her short hair. The man's smile turned to a sad expression.
“I'll let you know tomorrow.” Mr Lawman nodded his head then gathered his things and headed for the door.
“Okay Haruka.” She walked him to the door. “Umm...do you know what my parents are arguing about?”
“They don't think that you should raise Hotaru.” Mr Lawman opened the door and left the house.
---------------------------------------
Haruka sat on the ledge of her window looking up to the night's sky. `I don't know what to do.' Haruka tried to sleep but she couldn't, she had to make a big decision for tomorrow which was six hours away, `I know nothing about raising a child.' She glanced over to the clock, 4:05am. `I wonder if Michiru is awake.' She got up off the ledge and went to the phone and dialled her number in Japan.
“Hello,” a tired voice came through the line.
“Hi Michiru, I hope I didn't wake you up?” Haruka walked back over to the window.
“No you didn't.” The voice sound less tired now. “Sorry I didn't call you earlier.” Haruka ran her hand through her hair. “I'm just not used to having anyone to call.”
“That's alright, I figured you were busy or something.” Haruka sat on the ledge of the window.
“Michiru, I have a little bit of a problem.” She hated to admit that she needed help with something.
“What is it?”
“Well, my sister left me a letter and she wants me to take care of her daughter.”
“Oh,” her voice sounded a little confused. “If I were to adopt her, you wouldn't mind, would you?” No answer came from her. “Michiru, are you there?”
“Yes I'm here.”
“Are you alright?”
“Yeah I'm fine.” If you could see Michiru you would see tears running down her face. “It's okay with me if you adopt your niece.”
“Alright, I better go then...I'll be home next week.”
“Okay, bye” Haruka hung the phone up. `It sounded like she was crying.' She walked to her bed and laid down closing her eyes.
The cry of a baby woke Haruka up. She looked over to the clock, 5:30am. She groaned as the covers went flying to the ground. She slowly walked to Hotaru's room, the door was open and the lights were on. Ms Parker was trying to clam her down without any luck. Ms Parker looked up into two blood shot eyes.
“Sorry Haruka, I can't seem to clam her down.” Hotaru started to scream, Haruka walked up to her, “Here let me try.” Ms Parker handed the screaming child to her. Haruka looked down into two frightened eyes; she began rocking her back and forth.
“Shh Hotaru, it's okay, I won't let anything happen to you.” She wiped Hotaru's tears off her face with her thumb. Hotaru stopped screaming but the tears continued to fall. Haruka continued to rock her in her warm, strong arms.
“Princesses aren't supposed to cry Hotaru.” Haruka held onto the little girls hand as the last tear fell.
“You'll make a wonderful mother one day Haruka.” Ms Parker stood by the door watching them dance across the room. `Me, a mother,' she thought as Hotaru grab for her shirt.
“Will you call Mr Lawman and tell him that I will adopt Hotaru, for me?”
------------------------------------------
Please review and tell me what you think of my story