Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Moon R: A search for a Truth ❯ Reality can Suck ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer standards apply. I don't own Batman or Sailor Moon. I do own Kayla and the plot.
A/n: Don't get used to it; I don't normally update this often. I've always written what comes into my head and when it appears. So I won't promise quick updates on a near-daily basis because not even I know for certain what I'll produce.
Warning: Standard warnings apply. Please see chapter 1 for full warning disclaimers. You have been warned.
Chapter 3
Sailor Gwaten took one sharp breath sucking her teeth as she did so. All she could feel was pain, extreme pain. She couldn't remember when she hurt this badly. The last time she felt pain, she'd tried to block out for obvious reasons. Who honestly wanted to remember each time they hurt? She sure didn't. But, she could only recall one time when she felt like this, or close to it. It was when she'd broken her ankle. But, this felt worse. Her skin felt on fire, but she felt no sweat. Muscles bones and joints screamed in protest if she dared move. Opening her eyes took more effort then she'd care to admit. But, what happened to warrant such feelings? Was she dying? Was she still on the street?
No. That part was quite clear. She could feel something under her, much softer then the wall she last remembered seeing. It almost felt like she was in, a bed? But who's and where was Chibi-Usa? The thought of Chibi-Usa possibly captured caused her to sit upright ignoring the explosion of pain that came from the action. When it came down to it, fear often took over all other fuctions, causing her to do things she wouldn't normally.
So when she stood on unsteady and pain-filled legs, she was not the least bit surprised, getting to Chibi-Usa was more important at this point. She was aware of the damage she could be causing, as well as the fact she'd reverted to her alter ego Kayla Tsukino. The later being less of a shock considering her last memory was of a battle leaving her battered and broken. However, everything after what had occurred in that battle remained a complete blank in her mind. But, based on where she'd found herself, someone took pity on her. “Chibi-Usa?!” she called not failing to notice how dry and cracked her voice sounded. “Where are you?!”
Each step was like slow torture. Her muscles screamed and shook in protest each time she demanded they move the slightest. “Miss, perhaps you should go lie back down.” An elderly sounding voice cut through her thoughts causing her to lose her footing and make herself one with the nearest wall. “Come on let me—“
“No, I can't… not until I find Chibi-Usa.” Kayla shot back using her hands to reach a standing position once more.
“It's alright miss, the young lady is fine. She should be downstairs having lunch. I can have her come see you when she finishes, but you don't appear to be in any shape to be walking around like this.” The elder spoke keeping his tones soft praying the brown haired woman before him would listen. It was obvious to him she wasn't aware just how badly she'd been injured and could do further damage if she continued to push herself in this way.
Ignoring him, she continued down the hall stopping only when she found a flight of stairs. Just great…. The one thing she hadn't been able to handle for years. But, she was bound and determined to see for herself that Chibi-Usa was in fact alright just as the older man had claimed. However, her body, the stairs and gravity decided to bring her back down to reality in a manner of speaking. Despite holding onto the rail for support, her right leg gave from under her sending her flying down the stairs face first. As she felt herself falling she made no sound as She'd prepared herself for the fall she'd known was coming and had released the rail in favor of protecting her face.
If falling down the stairs face first hadn't been enough, another one of the house's occupants decided to see what had caused the crash. He had been in the dining room with Chibi-Usa trying to extract information out of her that made some kind of sense, but hadn't accomplished much in that aspect when the sound of someone coming down the stairs diverted his attention. Though had he not heard the crash he would've been surprised to see the brown haired woman lying on the floor in front of the stairs tapping her fingers while using her hands to half sit on the carpet. “Are you alright?” he'd asked carefully scooping her into his arms being aware of her injuries.
A yelp of surprise escaped her lips as she felt herself repositioned and lifted of the ground. Despite feeling safe in this man's embrace she also felt confused and scared. Ignoring his question in regards to her well-being, she responded with, “Where's Chibi-Usa?”
The young man chuckled despite himself at the look on her face. She looked confused and annoyed at the same time, and if she could she'd probably be crossing her arms like a child who wasn't getting her way. “Having lunch, do you want something?”
She wanted to say no, but the pain in her stomach demanded she rethink that answer. She'd been out for god knew how long, and her blood sugar was probably dropping like a stone now that she'd been trying to force herself to move about. Due to a pre-existing condition known as Cerbral Palsy, her body worked twice as hard then the average healthy person to perform day-to-day activities, add the fact she felt and looked every bit like a burn victum and her efforts doubled. “Yes, I could use a little something.”
Nodding silently, the young man carried her into the dining room and deposited her into a seat next to Chibi-Usa. Upon seeing the girl, Chibi-Usa's eyes lit up and she dove for her, Embracing her rather tightly. “Mommy you're alright. I was so worried about you. Do you know you've been out for three days? I was worried you might never wake up and then where would I be? I'm already losing you once, I don't want to do it—“
“Slow down, I'm okay as long as you don't squeeze so hard. I'm still very sore.” Kayla spat out through clenched teeth trying to breathe dispite the pain. But, I'm not your or anyone else's mother. I'm sorry.”
Chibi-Usa's grip slackened as she removed herself from the older woman. “Of course you are. You have to be. You're Sailor Moon, the brave fighter who's also my mother, and daddy… he's here too.”
Kayla tried to process all of what she was hearing, but her mind didn't think it possible. Did Chibi-Usa honestly think that she was her mother? Now, given what she could remember of the battle, being out for three days didn't seem all that impossible. It often took a lot to knock her down, but once she was down getting up wasn't quite as easy. It was sure willpower that got her as far she was now, considering the amount of pain racing through her body. But, why did Chibi-Usa think that she was Sailor Moon? That honor belonged to Usagi, if you could call it that given how she behaved half of the time. “Look, Chibi-Usa we need to get a few things straight right here and now. I'm not your mother. I'm not Sailor Moon. I'm not any of the things you claim me to be. In addition to that, once I've regained enough strength to teleport I'm taking you back home to Usagi and her family. This stunt of yours has caused a lot of trouble, and Usagi's going out of her mind. I can bet my voice mail is full and I'm going to have several text messages all saying the same thing. Wondering where you are, and why I haven't contacted her. Further more since it has been so long, I don't doubt Usagi has tried to find a way here.” Kyla's voice was strong, athoritive and a little harsh. While it usually was not in her nature to use such tones, she refused to allow Chibi-Usa to live in a fictional existence she had created in her mind. Such behavior was not only unacceptable, but unhealthy regardless of one's age.
“What happened to you? Did you hit your head during the fight and loose your memory?” Chibi-Usa cried. She expected the woman seated next to her to deny all claims to her being her mother. That wouldn't happen for another several years yet, but to deny the claim she was the pretty sailor suited solider , Sailor Moon that nearly made her heart stop. “Mommy please…. I don't want to go back to Usagi. She's so mean. I'd rather stay here with you and daddy.”
“I'm not giving you much of a choice. I'll discuss it with your father, but if he agrees you need to return to the care of Usagi, then that's what you'll do.” Kayla argued back.
“But, mommy… I want to stay here with you and daddy. I want us to be a family again.” Chibi-Usa cried turning her attention on her `mother'.
“Sometimes in life, we don't always get what we want Chibi-Usa. I can tell you this. I'm not Sailor Moon, nor am I your mother. Whoever your mother is should've tought you the difference between fiction and reality. But, regardless of your upbringing, I will not allow you to continue to live a lie. If it makes you feel any better though, I can tell you Sailor Moon is my sister. Now, I need to eat and would like to do so without continuing this argument.” Kayla sighed as she massaged her temples in hopes of ridding herself of the headache that had started to form. When Chibi-Usa started to argue with her, she'd had some ideas as to who this child's mother was, or in this case could eventually be, but when she'd heard the name Sailor Moon, she knew her hunch had been correct.
“Fine.” Chibi-Usa pouted hopping out of her seat. “You're being just as mean as Usagi.”
Kayla sighed holding her head in her hands. She'd been up what, a few minutes and the first use of her voice resulted in a full blown argument which had left her completely drained. Though she was glad to learn Chibi-Usa was safe. The backlash from the argument could always be dealt with later. The smell of food drew her attention away from her current thoughts, causing her stomach to remind her of its existence. Not bothering to try and find out what lie before her, she dove at it much like Usagi, only some self-control had been used. Where Usagi would've attacked the food like she hadn't eaten in months, Kayla was more aware of those around her and ate a little more slowly despite the fact she wanted to shovel her food much like her younger sibling would.
“Are you okay?” Kayla jumped slightly pausing to gaze in the direction of the voice. It was that same young man who had helped her off of the floor when she'd fallen down the stairs.
“Aside from the obvious. I'll be alright. You need not concern yourself. Physical damage can heal, and Chibi-Usa… she's just going to have to learn she can't always get what she wants. I don't know who she thinks her father is, but I do know she can't live in a fictionalized reality where the world is perfect. Kayla sighed looking down at her half-empty plate. “Though I do have some questions of my own.”
“Such as?” while he knew what she wanted to ask, he waited for her to ask the questions anyway.
“Who are you? Where am I? And, how did Chibi-Usa and I get here?”
His hunch had been right once more, but he wasn't sure how to answer. “My name is Dick Grayson and you're at Wayne manner.” He paused to think how he'd answer her final question without possibly giving himself away. “There was a battle, one in witch you were fighting. It was against four oddly-dressed women who seemed to be after Chibi-Usa. You'd left her in the care of Batman and Robin so you could fight freely. Robin fallowed you while his partner, Batman, brought Chibi-Usa here.” He'd taken quite the gamble in his answer, but in all honesty there was no way around it. Anyone else might think that Dick Grayson and Robin were two separate people, but would she put two and two together?
“So… in other words… you must also be Robin.”
…And, he had been right. She'd figured it out.
Dick nodded. “That's right, and I guess I should go ahead and tell you, Bruce Wayne is Batman. Now that you're up, he'll probably have a few questions for you.”
Kayla groaned, but knew that she couldn't avoid her hosts forever. After all she did owe them considering that they could've dropped her off in a hospital, and Chibi-Usa could be lost in the maze that was Child Protective Services until parents could be found. She just couldn't be certain she'd be able to provide them with answers she could honestly believe herself.
“Master Dick, you and the young miss here are wanted downstairs as soon as she has finished her meal.” Alfred informed clearing the table where Chibi-Usa had once been sitting.
Kayla silently nodded returning to her food picking up the pace just a little bit. While she was in no hurry to deal with the unavoidable, she also wanted to get things done as painlessly as possible.