Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Moon T ❯ Duriel ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Duriel: TITANS! I challenge you to a duel to the DEATH!


*Theme Song: The Touch, by Stan Bush*



Centauri: I beg your pardon, demon scum?

Duriel: I challenge all of you to a duel that will determine the fate of Lut Gholein.

Moonshine: When?

Duriel: Now.

The four Titans huddled together.

Love: This doesn't seem right. Why do I have an uneasy feeling he's leading us into a trap?

Cephiros: I feel the same.

Centauri: Nevertheless, Duriel is the demon who's in charge of the attack on Lut Gholein. Defeat him, we free Lut Gholein and we can find the next Titan.

The Titans turned around and faced the demon.

Centauri: We accept.

Duriel: Very good.

Immediately, Duriel jumped back down into the hole he had came in.

Centauri: AFTER HIM!

The four Titans lept down the hole quickly running after the demon.






<I cannot return back to my lords without the Titans' heads on a silver platter. My lords... It seems so long ago that I was not with them. Before I was tainted by evil, and became their slaves. It all began in the Rogue Encampment. Yes, the Rogue Encampment...>





I stayed in a tavern in the Rogue Encampment, trying to forget my past as a warrior. The horrors I had seen were not meant for anyone. I fought sleep for days at a time, smoking and drinking every herb and spice to keep myself from returning to the dreams. For if I did fall asleep, the dreams returned. The dreams of my screaming, surrounded by undead skeletons, laughing at me. And a dark, cloaked wanderer who stood before them all, saying nothing.


Duriel awoke from his sleep at the sound of the door to the tavern creaking open. The snow from outside swept into the tavern with a loud whistling from the wind, and the door closed again, but not before a man entered. He was cloaked, carrying a sword. No, dragging a sword behind him.


Could this have been the man from my dreams? Had he come out of my dreams to haunt me in the mortal realm? Could this broken shell of a man, barely able to carry the weight of his own sword, be the one who tormented me when I fell asleep?


The wanderer walked over and sat down in a corner. His hand began to tremble as he held the sword, and the other patrons in the tavern began to laugh at the foolish old man who came in with a sword. The wanderer's hand began to tremble more, and he dropped his sword onto the ground, holding his hand as it began to vibrate more frequently.


He seemed to have demons of his own, confronting him while he was awake, unlike me.


The wanderer sceramed out loud as a blue, ghostly figure seemed to come out of his skin! The fireplaces in the tavern suddenly raged and exploded, and three spots on the ground exploded into a maelstrom of fire. The patrons gasped and were shocked as demonic creatures, skeletons, zombies, anything you could imagine came out of the fires.


Were these demons that I saw before me coming from hell itself, or were they born WITHIN the Wanderer?


Black souls seemed to rage out of the screaming wanderer, and the undead creatures rushed out and attacked the patrons, who were barely able to defend themselves with their own weapons, were slaughtered in front of Duriel's eyes.


And as quickly as they came, they left.


The Wanderer suddenly grapsed his chest and fell to the ground, and all the demons returned to the fires, and the souls returned into the Wanderer. The wanderer dragged his sword out the door. Duriel walked over to the door and slowly began to follow him.


Why did I follow him? I don't know. Why do things happen as they do in dreams? All I knew, all I cared, was that wherever he beckoned, I had to follow him.


The scene changes to a desert, with Duriel and the wanderer walking continuously through it.


We travelled east, into the mountains and into the deserts of broken wastes. On the way, my companion told me of himself. That he had once been a great warrior. And that a dark and terrible burden now weighed heavily on him. Finally, we climbed the last hill, and through that, we finally saw our destination: the shining jewel Lut Gholein. We set up camp, and I don't know how, maybe it was the cool desert winds or the difference of actually completing a goal, but for the first time in many weeks, I slept. But when I did, the dreams returned. But these dreams were clearly not my own. I beheld a great mage, Tal Rasha, being chained to an alter. He and his group had come across a powerful demon: Baal. They attempted to imprison the demon within a sacred stone. They failed. But then, Tal Rasha selflessly sacrificed himself, to restle with the demon for all eternity.


Duriel awoke from his sleep. The wanderer and his horrible, scarred, and demonic face was looking at him.

Wanderer: Now you know, Duriel. This is my brother. Rest well. Tomorrow, at dawn, we search for the tomb.


In the morning, we began the search. Travelling through several mysterious and demonic passages, we finally came upon it: the Tomb of Tal Rasha. I stood in the doorway between light and dark. What was left of my sanity implored me not to enter. But that voice was just above a whisper.


Duriel stood in the doorway, looked at the sun, and walked into the tomb.


As we travelled through the vast corridors, I began to notice a change in my companion. I could hardly see the gloomy, dark wanderer with such weak strength when I had first met him. He seemed to take in the dank and dead air. It seemed to... Strengthen him. Finally, we came upon a great hall.


The wanderer suddenly shouted out loud, and small horns popped out of his head, and his face turned more red.


As I watched him change, I realized my companion hadn't been gaining strength. He had been losing what was left of his humanity. Finally, we came upon it: the great tomb.


A being that looked like he had no muscle, just skin attached to bone and tendon, was bound to an alter, surrounded by a lava pit. There was one bridge that seemed to be on fire for years at a time, but never disintegrating. The Wanderer began to move towards the creature.


He moved with demonic speed, and then, when he had finally come across him, HE arrived.


The Wanderer was about to take his hand and place it on the soulstone to pull it out, when suddenly, a wing strand wrapped around the wanderer's arm and shoved him away! They looked to see who it had been. Tyrael!

Tyrael: STOP! The beast trapped herein will not be set free. Not even by YOU.

The wanderer ran and jumped onto Tyrael, both clashing with holy and demonic fire. They fell down into the pit...
...And rose back up again, fighting one another, Tyrael striking down with Azurewrath as the Wanderer evaded each blow. Duriel then looked back to the creature. He heard a voice...

Voice: Look at what they've done to me... Help me... Free me...!

What looked like the mage Tal Rasha passed over the creature as it begged for help. Duriel slowly began to walk across the bridge towards him.

Voice: Please... Hurry!

Duriel made it across, and placed his hand on the soulstone. At first, it wouldn't budge, but it slowly began to move. Tyrael snapped his head around to see this.

Tyrael: NO! DON'T DO IT!

Duriel then pulled out the stone. He looked at it for a moment. Suddenly, he was no longer in the chamber. He was being held in the air by Tyrael, who spoke to him.

Tyrael: YOU FOOL! You have just ensured the doom of this world. Go to the temple of light, in the eastern city of Kurast. There, you will find the gate to hell opened before you. You must have the courage to step through that gate, Duriel. Take the stone to the hellforge, where it shall be destroyed. Now run. TAKE THE STONE AND RUN!

Suddenly, Duriel was out of the vision, and Baal's dark claw was on Tyrael's arm, knocking Azurewrath away from him. Baal laughed out loud. The Wanderer grabbed Duriel, and brought him before Baal as Tyrael began to fly away.

Baal: Yes... He will be an excellent slave...





<And that's how it all happened. Now I am facing the Titans, who could be more powerful than my great masters. But they will not succeed! They CANNOT SUCCEED!!!>




Duriel stopped in the tunnel. He turned around and faced the Sailor Titans, who stopped.

Duriel: PREPARE TO DIE!!!

Duriel charged at the Titans.

Centauri: GIGA DESTROYER!!!

Cephiros: CEPHIROS VALIANT CHARGE!!!

Moonshine: MOONSHINE MIRROR!!!

Love: CRESCENT HEART CRUSH!!!

Tyrael suddenly appeared behind them.

Tyrael: SWORD AZUREWRATH!!!

Panels, Compartments, and other areas opened up out of Centauri's armor. As well as two cannons came onto his shoulder, and his missile ports on his armor opened. All of a sudden, missiles, lasers, cannons, and other assorted weapons all fired out of the armor, blasting into Duriel. Sailor Moonshine's staff turned into a mirror, and reflected the light of the moon off of it and out at Duriel. Cephiros aimed her ring, and a firey silhouette of a running woman appeared and blasted into Duriel. Five pink hearts appeared out of nowhere and began to crush Duriel. As the pain and power was shot into him, slowly destroying him, Azurewrath shot into Duriel. Duriel screamed with an intensity to shake worlds, as he disintegrated into nothingness.

Centauri: Well that was easy.

Tyrael: Much too easy. He had great promise.

Love: Did you know him?

Tyrael: He once had a chance to be a hero. But to be a hero, he had to run. And he could not run. And this is what became of him.

Centauri: You know, Tyrael, there are worlds out there, where the skies are burning. Where the seas sleep, and the rivers dream. Hills made of smoke, mountains made of song. Some where there's danger. Some where there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea's getting cold. Come on, Titans! We've got work to do.




To Be Continued...