Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sway with the Ocean Tide ❯ Act IV: Duet ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was ten fifteen. The morning air held a slight chill despite the sun shining overhead. Michiru rapped nervously at the door of Haruka's supposed dwelling. A flash of fear crossed her mind. What if the girl wasn't there? What then? But it was too late for that; Michiru had already knocked.
The door suddenly opened, and Michiru was greeted by the face of Hotaru. The dark-haired girl hadn't changed at all over the years, with the exception of growing taller.
"Michiru." She smiled softly and invited the aqua-haired woman into the house. They sat at opposite sides of the livingroom.
Hotaru looked over at the woman before her. "It's been five years. Haruka's waited so long for you, Michiru."
Michiru's heart jumped in her chest. "Is Haruka here?"
“Yes, she’s sleeping.”
“How did you end up living here with her??”
Hotaru thought for a moment and then began, “When you left, Haruka was absolutely distraught. She never cried, but her pain was evident; she sort of stopped talking to everyone and she ate less and less as time went on. She graduated high school with honors, but by that time she was eating almost nothing at all, and her body had begun to disintigrate along with her spirit . Rei happened to run into her downtown once and she said Haruka was in bad shape. Her eyes had lost their sparkle, she was white as a sheet, and her body was emaciated. She’d stopped racing and playing the piano. Nothing mattered to her anymore.
“Rei got in touch with me and told me she feared for Haruka’s well-being, and that she wanted to know if I’d mind caring for her. I agreed. It took some convincing on Rei’s part, but just over a year ago, I moved in here. It was just as Rei had said, but I’ve tried my best and made marginal progress. And when Minako called saying you were back yesterday, I was overjoyed. Haruka and I paid a visit to Usagi’s house, but no one was home. She was crushed.” Hotaru stood. “But I told her not to give up. She’s been dreaming of you, Michiru. She told me she had to find you.”
Michiru began to weep. “Oh, Hotaru! I didn’t want to leave her! I didn’t want to break her heart, but I had no choice in the matter.”
Hotaru walked over to Michiru and put a hand on her shoulder. Her heart ached for her friend, but she smiled because it would all be okay. “Come on. You’ve waited five years to feel whole again, you needn’t wait any longer.”
“Michiru dried her tears and got to her feet. Hotaru opened the bedroom door and Michiru stepped inside.