Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Hope of Revenge ❯ The Captive ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2
The Captive


The sunrise on the Earth was almost identical to the one on the Moon. Everything was enveloped in a warm, golden glow and the sun gave off the exact same signal to everyone; the signal that it was time to step out of the land of dreams and into the real world. The only real difference was that the denizens of the castle were already awake and out of bed, prepared to start their journey.

Usagi laid her hand on the horses rump, feeling the strong, rippling muscles of the majestic beast. They wanted to get an early start since they only had about a week to collect everything. It was their third morning out already and their hunt had, thus far, been fairly successful. Queen Selenity would be pleased with the amount of painkilling and healing herbs they had been able to find.

The horses were saddled and loaded with supplies. Mina yawned as she stretched her arms above her head. "If things go well today, we should sleep in a little tomorrow morning."

"We don't have time to sleep in," Rei pointed out as she pulled herself up into her saddle. The horse nickered quietly but remained still.

Mina sighed and tossed her waist long blonde hair over her shoulder. "I know, but it would still be nice to be able to lay in bed for an extra hour or so."

"We only have four more days of this," Lita said cheerfully.

"Four more days and then we can go back to our usual routine, where we have to get up early anyway," Ami added in. Mina groaned and hoister herself onto her own horse.

Artemis chuckled. "Just wait until we've been riding for a while, then you'll feel more awake." Mina roller her eyes at his comment but said nothing.

Usagi smiled from atop her animal. Beside her, Darien was sitting on his steed, looking over a list, paying no attention to the conversation the girls were having. She glanced at him and gave herself the luxury of staring at him for a few brief moments. His midnight black hair was starting to get a little long, he would have to get it cut soon. His hands moved as he shifted the list, making the muscles ripple beneath the skin.

Usagi sighed and shifted her gaze to her friends. "Let's get moving," she called out. Artemis nodded and started to lead the pack. Usagi found herself behind the four girls and next to Darien, which suited her just fine. He had slipped the list into his pocket and was focused on the path before them.

Usagi stared at her friends as they chattered and laughed occasionally. She loved them all dearly since they were almost like sisters to her. Mina was the only one actually related to her since they were cousins. They shared many similar characteristics: their personalities, many of their looks, their likes and dislikes, and their tastes. Mina had flowing blonde hair and blue eyes as did Usagi, although each girl had their father's eyes. Mina was incredibly close with Ami as well, since their parents were very good friends. All the girls knew that Mercury and Venus had been lovers when they were younger, and had become such again years after both their spouses perished in an attack by the Dark Queen.

Lita was the most level headed of the five and the strongest, since her father had raised her alone practically and thus she had been raised as a calm warrior. She had the strength and training of a fighter and the mind of a true leader. She didn't look much like her father but more like her mother, as the girls had been able to observe from portraits of the deceased Queen. Queen Hera had also been killed in the same attack as Ami's mother and Mina's father. Rei had also been raised mainly by her father, a strong, temperamental ruler and conqueror. Her mother had died in childbirth after a short marriage to Mars.

Of the whole group, Darien was the only one who had both of his parents.

Usagi let her mind drift from person to person. It made her feel good to think about their friendships and how close they were. She knew she could always rely on them and that they would rely on her when they needed to.

"What are you thinking about?"

Usagi looked at Darien who was watching her with a smile on his face. "About all of us," she replied simply. He arched an eyebrow, urging her to continue. She giggled. "I was thinking how wonderful you and the girls are."

Darien chuckled. "Well it's nice to know you think so."

Usagi smiled and held her hand out, which he took and placed a gentle kiss upon. The group rode for a couple of hours before Artemis stopped them at a grove in the forest. "This is as far as we got yesterday in this area so we can start searching here." Everyone dismounted and took collecting bags from their horses before tethering the animals to a few trees. The mares and stallions began grazing happily on the grass, completely ignoring the humans that were leaving them behind.

For hours they scoured the forest floor in search of their treasures. They didn't stop until noon, at which time they had lunch. After lunch they moved the horses to a new patch of grass before continuing their hunt.

Usagi found herself listening to her Senshi as she systematically turned over plants and leaves, occasionally placing one of them in her bag.

"So Rei," Mina started cheekily, "has 'the question' popped up yet?"

Rei blushed, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Lita giggled. "Sure you don't. Come on, we all know that you're dying for him to ask."

Artemis chuckled. "Are you distracting the Generals?" he teased.

"No, of course not," Rei replied sweetly. "What would make you think that?"

Artemis rolled his eyes. "Well considering the fact that Ami has already managed to get Zoisite head over heels in love with her, you must be doing something to them."

Ami blushed, "I couldn't help it," she murmured and smiled, covering her mouth with the back of her hand.

"You girls grew up too fast," Artemis remarked with a grin. "I can still remember all of you as little babies, even you Endymion."

Mina laughed. "Well that just shows how much older you are than us."

"I resent that," the silver haired advisor retorted with a smile. "I'm not old yet you know. I don't even have any children yet."

"All in due time I suppose," Mina teased. Now it was Artemis' turn to blush.

Usagi turned her attention to Darien who was working silently beside her. "You've been rather quite this morning," she said quietly to him.

He looked up at her, a frown once again marring his features. "Sorry, I've just been getting and odd feeling since we left the castle. I don't know what it is."

"I hope you're not coming down with something," Usagi stated with a frown. "I don't need you getting sick right now."

Darien shook his head. "I don't think I am. It's a different feeling. I can't really explain it."

"Are you sure you're all right? You can head back if you want to."

He smiled, "No, that's all right. I'm fine, honest, I don't know what's come over me. I'm sure it's nothing."

Usagi looked at him skeptically but didn't push the matter further. He didn't seem to want to talk about it since he wasn't sure himself what he was feeling. A feeling of foreboding build up in Usagi though, and it wasn't a feeling she liked. When Darien felt odd it usually meant something was about to happen, and being out in the middle of a forest far from any form of civilization, Usagi didn't like the though of something out of the ordinary happening.

Usagi continued with her search when she noticed that Rei had stopped moving and was staring into the line of dense trees just ahead of them. Darien stopped two and the two stood motionless. Everyone stopped what they were doing, curios as to what had caught Rei and Darien's attention.

The forest was quite save for the occasional chirping of birds. Everything was very still though, no wind rustled through the leaves or grass, no animal or even insect was in sight. It was as if time itself had frozen.

"Draw your weapons," Darien whispered so quietly that Usagi wasn't even sure she had heard him. She did reach for her sword hilt though and soundlessly withdrew the blade from its sheath. Everyone else did so too, dropping their collecting bags in the process. They stood there ready for an attack for the span of about ten minutes. No one dared move, no one knew what to expect. Darien and Rei had obviously heard, seen, or sensed something and now was not the time for questioning what it had been.

-------------------------------------------------------

Queen Beryl sat on her throne, her eyes closed in meditation. She couldn't deny that she was frustrated, she was well beyond frustration. The allied forces of her enemies were proving to be a greater obstacle than she had anticipated and that was not boding well with her. Up until recently she had maintained the same plan, the same strategy. Now, though, her plans had changed. She had to employ strategies that she had not used yet, same ones that her mother had used.

The sound of approaching feet reached her ears and she opened her eyes. Approaching her throne was one of her minions, one of the lesser messengers. "Have you brought me any news?" she asked, he voice loud and clear in the spacious chamber.

"My Lady," the creature hissed, bowing it's head low, "the attack has been carried out."

--------------------------------------------------------

Usagi's muscles quivered with anticipation, the hairs on her neck rose. She didn't like being afraid, and now she was feeling a tense fear in her heart. She heard the slightest swish and all of her instincts kicked in. She swung around and gasped. "Look out!" she cried and everyone turned. Rushing towards them, and not ten feet away now, was a group of warriors wielding swords and shields.

"Usagi, get behind," Darien cried out as he pushed her behind him. The Senshi ran out, leaving Artemis behind with Usagi. The warriors reached them and there was a deafening sound of clashing steel as they met with the Senshi and Darien. Battle cries pierced the air as the two groups battled. Darien found himself being pushed back by two of the warriors as they seemed to be aiming for Usagi. Suddenly she was there beside him, helping him fight them off. "Stay back," he ordered as he swung his blade down hard, knocking the sword out of the one warriors grasp.

"There's too many," Usagi gasped out as she ducked out of the way of the other attackers sword.

"We'll manage, just stay back," he yelled, running his blade through the heart of the attacker Usagi had just avoided. Usagi did fall back and watched helplessly as the battle wore on.

---------------------------------------------------------

Queen Beryl smiled. "Excellent. Was the attack successful though?"

The creature rubbed it's hands together greedily. Just that was answer enough for the Queen. She smiled and gazed into the orb before her. Things would start turning around now, in her favour. She now had two of the most powerful weapons she could have and it would be only a matter of time before Queen Selenity would crumble and fall.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Your grace, prepare yourself!" Artemis cried as three of the warriors broke free from the Senshi and made a run for Usagi and Artemis. Usagi took her stance, prepared for the attackers. She knew they wouldn't try to kill her. They reeked of evil power, Beryl's power, and she knew that Beryl wanted her alive. She was more worried about her companions since they were fair game.

"Usagi!" Lita screamed and from the corner of her eye, Usagi could see her Senshi running after the warriors coming toward her and Artemis, followed by half of the men they had been fighting. The other half stayed behind battling Darien.

---------------------------------------------------------< br>
Queen Beryl rose from her throne and clasped her hands in front of her stomach. "Bring the prisoner in then."

The little lizard like creature scurried away to fulfill its mistress' order. Beryl couldn't help but chuckle. It had been all too easy this time.

---------------------------------------------------------

The Senshi ran towards Usagi. The attackers were getting too close and they were still so far away. Fear gripped them as they watched Usagi's sword meet with another, right before it slew the man on the spot. The relief they felt was cut short though when they heard Usagi scream, just as they reached her, and they thought for sure they were too late.

----------------------------------------------------------
The cold castle was silent as the new Dark Queen awaited the arrival of her prize. After so many years she finally had a victory. A swirl of energy signalled the entrance of her minion. "My lady," came the hissing voice, "as you ordered…."

Beryl turned around and smiled at her captive. Her violet eyes met flashing blue ones, anger streaking across them like white hot lightning. Kneeling on the ground, hands tied, with a sweat streaked face, Prince Endymion glared at Beryl.

"Welcome, Endymion," Beryl purred. "I've been expecting you."

------------------------------------------------------------

"Darien!" Usagi shrieked as she slew one more opponent and Artemis the other. Rei, Lita, Mina, and Ami came to a halt as they spun around. Darien was being attacked by four men at once, and all of them watched in horror as one of them stepped behind Darien and threw a black cloth over him. As the cloth fell, it lay flat on the ground, and Darien was gone.

"No!" came the desperate scream from Usagi as she ran to the spot, ignoring the cries of her friends and Artemis. They ran with her, knocking down each enemy that came at them, until there was not one left. Usagi knelt on the spot where the black cloth had disappeared. So she had not been the target this time, he had been. Why though?

Ami wrapped her arms around the crying princess. Save for Usagi's cries there was an deep, penetrating silence in the forest. Lita looked at Artemis, worry clearly written over her face. "We will head back to the castle now," Artemis said in a hoarse voice. "We must waste no time."

Lita and Rei nodded in understanding. They knelt down next to Usagi and wrapped their arms around her while Mina and Artemis ran off to fetch the horses. Usagi's wails slowly subsided in the arms Ami, Lita, and Rei, but she felt as though a part of her had been torn away and taken with Darien. She would find him, no matter what it took. That she vowed.

----------------------------------------------------------- -

"What the hell do you want with me?" Darien spat out as he knelt before Beryl. He had been completely shocked when a strange darkness enveloped him during his last battle on Earth and the last thing he remembered hearing was Usagi's scream. "Where is Serenity?"

"Princess Serenity is still on the Earth in the safekeeping of your parents," Beryl replied smoothly. "You need not fear that I have done something to your princess. She is still completely safe. As for you, well, you will learn soon enough why you are here."

"You're planning on luring Serenity by using me," Darin stated.

"Very good, Prince Endymion, you're very clever. You didn't even need to ask me why you're here then, did you?" A wicked smile spread across Queen Beryl's lips.

"It's not going to work. Serenity is smarter than you think, she won't fall for one of your tricks."

"I have no intentions of tricking anyone. I have my weapons, I will use them in the only way I can, and I assure you that way involves no tricks. It is merely a test of loyalty and determination, a test of endurance."

Darien growled. "What are you planning?"

"You'll see," Beryl snapped. "Now is not the time for you to know everything. Rest assured I am not planning on killing you anytime soon. For now you will wait patiently in your quarters until I am ready for you."

Darien struggled as he was raised to his feet by unseen hands. Beryl strolled over to him and ran her finger along his jaw line. "I still don't understand why you rejected me all those years ago," she murmured with a fake sincerity.

"I could see the darkness in your heart," he retorted, pulling his face away from her touch. She pulled her hand back and glared at him.

"Your loss," she hissed and then walked back to her throne. "Take him to his room," she ordered and watched as he disappeared. She felt a throbbing anger pulsating through her veins and understood where her mother's pain had come from. Queen Selenity had taken the man her mother had wanted, Prince Kinotsu. Beryl could still remember her mother reading her the letter that Kinotsu had sent her.

As much as I was flattered by your proposal for marriage, I fear that I must decline your kind offer. As much as it pains me to do so, it would be unfair of me to step into such a union with you without having the same feelings that you have toward my own person.

At the time he was already forming an alliance with Selenity.

Beryl closed her eyes and rubbed her neck in agitation. It didn't matter now, soon she would be able to finish what her mother had started and on a much grander scale. She only had to start the ball rolling now, and once it was rolling, there would be no stopping it. Victory would be hers.

------------------------------------------------------------ --

A/N: I have to give a warning to everyone that updates this month will be few and far apart. November, for those of you who don't know, is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and this year I am participating in the event. As such, I have to write a 50 000 word novel by the end of November, so as you can guess this will take up much of my writing time. I apologize ahead of time for this and I hope all of you can be patient with this, and other, stories for the next month. Thank you in advance for your understanding. Anja.


-------------------------------------------
Disclaime r
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon or any of the characters. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.

-------------------------------------------