Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Return Home! ❯ Bad News ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
The guilt and shame felt by the surviving Sailor soldiers was almost too much for them to bear. It weighed heavily upon their hearts like a massive black hole that drained all hope. The odds were completely against them. They had lost Serena, Darien, and their own lives on more than one occasion in the distant past to return to stand once again shoulder to shoulder against the forces of darkness. However, since the establishment of the Crystal Kingdom under Neo-Queen Serenity and King Endymion, it seemed their major battles were finally over. How wrong they were; the only reason they were still alive was due to Neo-queen Serenity, whose quick thinking saved their lives. By teleporting them to the palace, she gave them all a chance to regroup, and fight back against this deadly new foe. She did this of course, using the remaining power within the Imperium Silver Crystal.

They found themselves within the palace grounds crying as they moved sluggishly towards the palace entrance. They were completely exhausted; they stood quietly for a moment comforting one another. Venus and Mercury moved off quickly to find Amara, Michelle, and Setsuna. The shock numbed them all, and now the full realization that their dearest friends were gone hit hard and this was more than they could take.

*I hold those dark Negatrash tarts in contempt. What did they call themselves? ... Hmmm ... the ‘Velvet Seven’ led by that spiteful banshee Angel! … Well, she and her bloodthirsty minions will pay and pay dearly!* Mars thought as hot tears soaked her fuku as Lita cried her heart out upon her shoulder. Mars visualized the tall nefarious blonde haired figure towering over Serenity and Endymion as she stood with her cutthroat assassin who ended the young king’s life as he grieved the loss of his only love. It was at that moment a light went out in all their hearts. Mars would never forget the look of triumph upon Bella’s face as she stood over the bodies of the young monarchs, who even in death embraced one another. Bella and Oyeme stood coldly examining their handiwork.

Bella’s short black skirt with its thick leather belt, tight fitting halter-neck top with six silver dragons moving diagonally from left to right across her breast descended over her blackened heart. Her black high heels added a touch of elegance. She reminded Mars of a black widow Spiderwoman. Bella’s malevolence exceeded that of any of their former adversaries, making Beryl and all other opponents they had ever faced look perfectly tame by comparison. However, it was her cat like green eyes with their cold stare possessing a cruelty and hatred that gave her otherwise attractive features a twisted countenance.


* * * * * * * * * * *


It was almost 2AM, and Rini was beginning to worry about her parents and the others. She knew something was very wrong, for they should have been back hours ago. Rini felt a chill move through her, sensing they were in serious trouble. She and Hotaru tried to contact them on their communicators, but they had been unable to get through. Hotaru tried to re-assure her best friend that perhaps they were visiting a Temple, and this was why the communicators were not getting a response.

Rini was still speaking with Hotaru about her concerns when the palace doors suddenly burst open. The sound of the doors hitting the marble walls reverberated throughout the building as her friends rushed into the chamber then collapsed on the stone floor. Rini and Hotaru ran down stairs and assisted both Lita and Raye to the infirmary.

"Jupiter! Mars! … What happened to you? Where are Mercury, Venus and my parents, why are you two crying?" Rini exclaimed in alarm as a sickening feeling began to harden like a tight ball at the pit of her stomach. She knew whatever the answer it would not be good. Hotaru squeezed Rini’s hand and held it tightly.

"They’ve gone to get help … A new enemy attacked us tonight, and we had … n-no chance … they were too strong!” Jupiter cried, her brave face collapsing once again into uncontrollable sobs. She was unable to say what had to be said.

"Please tell me everything! … What happened, and where are they now? … I want...." Rini started to cry.

Alex interrupted, "Mars, where are mother and father, are they safe and alive? Please tell us!" Alex’s voice also began to quaver as he and Rini braced themselves for the worst.

"Rini, Alex … we are so sorry to tell you this, but they were … we threw everything we had at these … we couldn’t save them! … they were in each other’s arms when they died … I’m so sorry Rini and Alex …”

Alex waited for what seemed an eternity, whilst the news sunk in. Rini fell to her knees in tears. Alex walked over, and lifted Rini to her feet and pulled her into his arms. He tried to comfort her as best he could, but she became hysterical.

“There is no way we can go on without them! … You are not supposed to take the throne until you are married! Even if I am married. It is not my time to take the throne … What are we suppose to do, Alex. … Answer me! … Tell me what we do now?" Rini screamed as her grief turned to anger. Rini started hitting Alex’s chest. She knew it was unfair, but she did it anyway. Rini could not believe this was happening. She lost her grandparents just a few weeks ago, and now the greatest loss of all with her parent’s deaths had completely shattered her.

Suddenly, Mercury and Venus entered the chamber. They looked at Rini and Alex realizing they had been informed of the terrible news.

Mercury de-transformed as did Venus, and Amy approached Rini pulling her into her arms. She held her tightly, whilst stroking Rini’s pink meatball plaits. Ami started crying with Rini. She knew how devastated Rini must have been feeling at that moment. She could not do anything other than be a comfort to her. Lita joined Amy and she too broke down with her friends.

"Rini, sweetheart, I know this is hard for you to take in right now, for your mother told us to take care of you if anything was ever to happen to them. I will be here to guide you both as best I can on your true paths, and not let anyone, or anything stop you, especially those responsible for what happened to your parents.” Amy said through her tears as she gripped the trembling hands of the prince and princess.

Later, Amy suggested everyone get some sleep as it was quite late, and she had prepared a sedative for them all to help everyone through the night. She informed them she would be on call after 10 in the morning if needed.

************


"What do we do now, Alex?" Rini asked for the third time that morning.

"Rini, I think Hotaru and I should discuss our wedding arrangements as soon as possible. Grandmother Serenity declared if something happened to our parents, then I am to take my place as King and you queen with our spouses … Our future starts now to ensure the Crystal Kingdom doesn’t collapse!" Alex answered a brave expression upon his face.

The Sailor soldiers approached the young monarchs and knelt before them and swore their allegiance, and swore to protect them and the people of Crystal Tokyo. Suddenly, the outer scouts appeared and entered the chamber. They knelt in their turn before the new King and Queen. They rushed to the palace as fast as they could after receiving the message sent by the other scouts. Helios too had arrived taking his place beside Rini. Rini and Alex declared the assembly acknowledge and swear allegiance to both Helios and Princess Hotaru who would rule by Alex’s side.

“Alex, where is Hotaru now? Why isn’t she not by your side?” Setsuna inquired.

"That is a good question. I didn’t notice her leaving! … Rini did you see her go?" Alex asked as a look of concern crossed his handsome face. “I need to discuss our wedding arrangements with her; I regret the circumstances as we all need time to properly grieve, but we must secure the throne and the Earth and prepare ourselves to deal with the new threat that faces us all … we have to find her!” There was a search organized. The Sailor soldiers joined the palace guard and the royal staff in the search. They began inside the palace and its surrounding grounds before extending the search into the city. They reassembled back in the throne room to report on their progress or otherwise. Unfortunately, they failed to find any trace of her.

"Wait! … I have an idea!" Rini announced before the gathering.

She took her communicator with her, and it was switched on! Rini tried to call her, but Diana answered. She informed Rini that Hotaru had left the communicator on her bedside table.

Alex started to get worried. It was not like his fiancé to run off without her communicator. He had to find her before something happened to her, for now nothing was certain and danger lurked in the shadows.

"Diana, do you know if Luna and Artemis were with her or not?" Alex asked trying to keep panic out of his voice not wishing to alarm the young Moon Cat.

"Yes, mom went with her. I don't know where though." Diana answered an expression of concern upon her sweet face. After thanking Diana, Alex signed off. Everyone left the palace to search for Hotaru and Luna. They searched all day, but could not find them and decided to return to the palace and wait.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Hotaru, where are you going? You cannot just leave like this! You do not know who or what dangers might harm you out there on your own. You have to realize that Alex loves you, and now that Serena and Darien are gone, it is essential you talk to Alex about the wedding. You must marry to take your places as rulers of Crystal Tokyo, especially when your people here and throughout the world need your guidance to ensure their survival!" Luna pleaded.

Hotaru listened to what Luna had to say thoughtfully. She did not need another lecture, for she and Rini hoped this day would never arrive. She loved Luna very much, but right now, she felt the only advantage in having her around was the fact Luna could transform into her human form. Luna had been able to do this since Serena's coronation as Neo-Queen Serenity. Luna, Artemis and Diana could assume their Moon Cat form anytime they so desired. They could slip in and out of the palace, or anywhere during difficult times to gather intelligence as royal couriers unseen by any enemy force. Hotaru thought about the times in Tokyo of the past where nobody ever encountered a talking cat. The mere notion of such a creature would be considered ridiculous or worse, a sign of mental instability. If she or the others were out with Luna and her family in public, and needed to communicate discreetly they had to find a location where they could speak freely. People would think them crazy if they were seen talking to a cat in Tokyo, or anywhere else in the twentieth century.

"LUNA! I do not care! I think it best if Rini and Helios took the throne… if not, then Alex can always marry someone else. I am not right for him, nor am I the right choice for Queen. I have other duties and responsibilities to perform as a Sailor soldier … to heal people, and be a friend to Rini. I am not going through with it Luna … So back off! Go back and tell Alex I have made up my mind and I cannot marry him … the wedding is off!" Hotaru shouted as she experienced a surge of conflicting emotions within.

"Hotaru, you’ve barely had time to grieve let alone make such a hasty decision! How can you expect your judgment to be reliable after what has happened to Serena and Darien? You’re afraid you will get hurt too. You need not worry about that; Alex loves you, and he would do nothing to hurt you. You…” She was unable to finish what she had to say.

Hotaru turned and faced Luna; she walked into Luna’s arms and cried as she tried to explain how she felt.

Luna wrapped her arms around Hotaru, did her best to ease her grief, and comforted her. Luna was unsure how to make her understand that she was perfect for Alex, and he wanted her at his side as Queen.

"You should know what its like, you and Artemis had the same problems … For crying out loud! Look at both of you. You were unable to assume human form, and now you can change at will and Serena is responsible for that. I could never fill her shoes as she is a tough act to follow you know! Don’t you understand that, Luna?" she cried pulling out of Luna's arms.

"Is that what is worrying you, Filling Serena's shoes? There is more to this than you’re telling me Hotaru, don’t forget that I’ve guided Serena since she was a young teenage girl and I know when there is something troubling a young heart. There is more to this situation than you’re telling me.” Luna said whilst gently squeezing Hotaru’s hand as they stood together facing one another.

"Luna, please. Just stop it already. Would you please let me be? I need some time to myself right now, its not that I’m being mean I just need some time to think. I would feel better if you return to the palace, and let them know I’m okay. I'm just trying to sort a few things out," Hotaru said pulling up the long hem of her beautiful cotton dress with its ornate bodice trimmed with fine golden thread and wiped away her tears shaking her head as Luna offered a handkerchief to her distraught princess. Nodding silently, Luna gently replied.

"Sure thing, and don't worry Hotaru. You know I was the same way with Serena and her friends concerning my feelings for Artemis when they were all students in school. I will leave you alone, and let everyone know you’re okay, just be very careful, and stay out of trouble. I have another communicator for you as you’ve left yours in your room so the royal guards are keeping a discreet distance, but they’re there if you need anything whilst you’re here." Luna said hugging the dark haired girl.

Luna stood, in her long sleeved white dress that fell to mid calf and its broad hem swirled about her long legs as she moved. The ornate bodice sprinkled with purple flowers, and its curved ruffled neckline revealing her flawless alabaster complexion. A silver crescent moon set into a moonstone disk hanging upon a silver chain rested against her cleavage shone in the pale morning light. Luna wore a yellow sash about her slim waist and amethyst shoes on her delicate feet. She was very tall at five feet ten inches; her purple meatball hairstyle so much like Serena’s with yellow bows tying the plaits fell to the backs of her thighs reminding Hotaru of their beloved queen. Luna's brilliant emerald-green eyes shone with a deep ancient wisdom. Her sweet young face also possessed a sense of authority and inner strength that made one feel safe and loved. Luna smiled warmly at her friend, and leant over kissing Hotaru’s cheek. Luna smiled once more at Hotaru before leaving.

"Just be home tonight to talk to Alex about how you are feeling. I shall see you soon," Luna replied.

Luna walked off heading back to the Crystal Palace. As Hotaru watched Luna turn a corner, she walked along the concourse then collided with someone.

Hotaru apologized for her clumsiness and smiled awkwardly at the young woman before her.

"Well, my goodness. Watch where you are going you little brat. You know I could…!” the stranger barked.

"I'm sorry. I did not see you there. Please forgive me," Hotaru answered, trying to regain her composure.

"Oh, I didn’t realize … forgive me. I thought you were someone else. I am truly sorry, Queen Hotaru," the stranger said apologetically.

"What did you call me? I am sure you’re mistaken. Why are you calling me Queen? I know everyone in Crystal Tokyo, forgive me, but I do not recognize you, what is your name?"

Hotaru asked feeling unnerved by the redhead’s suspicious inquiry. The woman stood in a short black dress with a silver flame motif upon the bodice, then two other women in similar attire appeared; the first of these; a silver haired woman with olive skin wore a long sleeved black bodice with plunging V-neckline, there was a white bow at its base floating upon her cleavage. She wore a thick white leather belt about her waist, and black high heels. The last girl had wavy long black hair that fell to mid thigh; her dress was short, but emerald green like her high heels with a black spiral motif upon the sleeveless bodice. She wore black eye-shadow and purple lip-gloss unlike her companions who wore no make-up at all, as their features did not require it. Hotaru did not doubt the last member of the trio could get bye without it if she so desired.

"My name is Cheye, and these are my sisters, Eme and Mi Li. We must get going," Cheyenne lied.

“Maybe I’ll see you guys again in Crystal Tokyo, it’s a vast city, but you never know!” Hotaru smiled taking in the descriptions of these women, for she felt there was something amiss about them, as they seemed to know something that only those at the ill-fated battle against the Velvet Seven could know. She continued to converse to give the impression she was not suspicious. not unusual for her to be recognized by the citizens of Crystal Tokyo, but to be addressed as queen instantly set off alarm bells in the back of her mind. They bowed to one another, before moving on.

“Bye for now Hotaru. I might see you around!" Cheyenne said smiling.

Hotaru watched as the three sisters disappeared, she then continued along the concourse. Suddenly, three more girls appeared as if out of nowhere and stood before Hotaru with arms crossed smiling at her.

"Umm...Excuse me I really must get going. I am sorry if I am in your way ladies," Hotaru thought quickly, sensing trouble.

"Oh, don't trouble yourself about it. We insist you hang around … Now the new Queen of Tokyo is here, we have to finish you off just as we did Serenity and Endymion!" She and the others were also dressed in the same short dresses with their own personal insignias; Oyeme in black with two red dragons upon her bodice, one above each breast and a red leather belt with a gold dragon buckle with ruby eyes that glared at her fiercely, and she wore knee high silver boots. The second wore a short charcoal-gray dress with a blue dagger motif over her heart, her bronzed skin shone with a red glow that surrounded her as bright orange hair fell to her shoulders. She wore a bright blue sash about her waist, and black sandals upon her feet. The last looked younger; her hair coppery green was pulled back in a ponytail that hung over her left shoulder, and descended to the hips. Her short black dress was sleeveless and backless with thin spaghetti straps and a white serpent motif over her left breast, and white marble pendent against her breasts. In addition, she wore a sash about her waist with silver serpents overlapping one another, and white high heels upon her feet.

"You know the Sailor Soldiers will not go easy on you when they find you!" Hotaru challenged bracing herself for a fight.

"Oh don't worry, for your death will be slow and quite painful. Maybe, just maybe your friends will arrive in time to witness your demise. Oh! … They don't know you're here! I forgot, they can't help you and isn’t that sad!" Millie, the girl in gray laughed.

Hotaru ran, just wanting to cry her heart out in private. She didn’t stop until she was sure she had lost them. She found a spot under a Cherry Blossom tree and wept uncontrollably.

*These are the ones who killed Serena and Darien!*

"I need to transform now … those Negatrash won’t get away with murder!” She thought to herself quickly, whilst surveying the area. Hotaru knew she wouldn’t make it to the palace in time so she prepared herself to fight and discover the identities of their new enemy. She wanted to know why they had targeted her friends and what their agenda was, though she suspected they were planning an invasion.

"SATURN ETERNAL HEART POWER!” she cried, reaching for her communicator. Saturn ran towards the palace hoping to draw out the enemy. There was a burst of amber light, and all three appeared. She was a fair distance from the Palace. Moreover, she prayed to the gods her fellow sailors would arrive and assist her.

"Ok, who are you and what do you want? Why are you here?" Saturn asked.

"Hey, girls look at this; the little Sailor scout is standing up to us!" Cheyenne replied, a hint of contempt in her voice.

"She is not a Sailor Scout. There were only 4 … and she is not one of them!" Oyeme said frowning.

"We’re not looking for you … whoever you are … Step aside and nothing will happen to you!” Millie advised trying to stare Saturn down.

"Sorry … ‘not going to happen'. For your information, there are more than four of us … so if you mess with one, you mess with us all … something you will regret, especially if you approach the palace, the guards will intercept you!” Saturn challenged.

“Brave words from such a little warrior!” Oyeme said sarcastically.

“Where is the Princess Hotaru, what have you done to her!” Saturn asked to create the impression she and the Princess were separate entities.

“Princess Hotaru? … I have no idea where that little kitty ran off too … For all I care she could have been hit by one of your city’s hover-taxis!" Cheyenne, remarked coldly.

"That's it sister, let her have it. She won’t be able to stop us!" Millie laughed.

"You don’t seem to understand, so let me give you one last warning … both I and the Sailor soldiers will punish you and send you back to wherever slime pit you come from, for you can't win against us!" Saturn shouted lifting her Silence Glaive.

"Oh, please. You think that weapon will work against us. Hell, we’ve already removed Neo-queen Serenity and King Endymion, you Sailor rabble are toast, and stand no chance against us! So I’ll ask you just one last time to power down, step aside and nothing will happen to you or your Crystal city!" Cheyenne asked in a mocking tone.

"Think again. SATURN DEATH STORM BLAST!”

She hit all three with surprise knocking them off their feet. Saturn wished she had back up, but she had to do the best she could under the circumstances.

“SILVER DRAGON FIRE LANCE!” Cheyenne shouted in a nonchalant tone.

The silver light streamed from her sword and wound itself around Saturn’s Silence Glaive, another tendril locked her ankles together, and she fell heavily to the ground upon the spacious lawns in front of the palace walls. Suddenly, the three girls pinned her down on the grass with Cheyenne sitting astride the valiant Saturn, who could not move and could scarcely breathe.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"What the hell was that Amara?" Raye asked tossing back her raven black hair as Nephrite stood behind Lita with his hands upon her shoulders as she finished feeding their son. She handed their child to Nephrite. Amara looked at Lita, then at Alex who held Rini’s hand. Suddenly, a surge of power shook the palace to its foundations.

“Alex! It’s Hotaru! Transform everyone!” Rini cried assuming her transformation stance before becoming Sailor Moon.

"Be careful, Lita. Do not get killed. I do not want to lose you as I did back upon the moon. Please come back to our son AJ … make sure you return in one piece my love!" Nephrite said kissing her quickly as she and the others rushed to join the battle.

"Don't worry, Nephrite. I’ll be ok!” she shouted as they left.