Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Sailor Moon Legend of Zelda ❯ In the Twilight. ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
 
Ganondorf was indeed displeased with the results of the previous battle, and he was giving Bongo-Bongo a good talk-or-two.
 
“An extraordinary performance, Dark Spirit. He said deeply over the looking glass. “Not only did you let Hero and the Sailors make a fool of us again… but do I understand correctly that you let them ESCAPE WITH THE TRIFORCE SHARD?!”
 
Bongo was as infuriated as Ganondorf was. “I assure you Lord- Ganondorf… it will not happen again.” He informed. “I just happen to have discovered their little trick in deceiving me the last time and I have formulated a plan.”
 
Ganondorf nodded and folded his arms. “Very well. You may proceed, and don't fail me this time OR ELSE!!” and he was gone.
 
Bongo knew of the lens of truth and it's power to see things in the dark and stuff. Therefore it was no hard matter to figuring out what to do.
 
Make things too dark for even the Lens to see things clearly, and this gave him the idea for a sneaky spell.
 
“If I can only roam about the city at night, then my only option is that the darkness doesn't fade... and what better spell can do that than the power of Twilight? Hmm, mm, mm!”
 
He rubbed and rubbed his hands together and began to shroud the world with some kind of black smog.
 
Of course, it was nighttime anyways, so no one really took to much notice and merely thought it was just getting cloudy.
 
“Yes… Excellent.” Bongo sniggered. “With this blanket of darkness over the entire planet, I won't need to wait for the dark hours to go hunting for my prey.”
 
“Oh! Those poor humans are due for a big surprise when they wake up in the morning. Hmm, mm, mm, mm, ah, ah, ah, ah!!”
 
Meanwhile
 
Early in the morning Serena heard her alarm clock beep. It was 7:00 am, and of course she just ignored it… but actually even her parents and Sammy ignored their clocks.
 
It was still as dark as night outside.
 
Finally Serena was up and out of bed at eight, but she wasn't really too concerned about sleeping in. Her whole family met at the table and were most confused.
 
“It's pitch black outside.” said Ikuko.
 
“Maybe the sun's just late in coming up.” Serena suggested.
 
“Get real , brainiack!” snapped Sammy. “Even a preschooler knows the sun is always up well before eight-o-clock.”
 
“Quiet down you two! I'm trying to hear the radio.” said Kenji.
 
The radio news reported a strange phenomenon, and that the entire world was suffering from this dark blanket. Though they had no leads to the cause of it, it didn't really see too lethal.
 
The Sun was still rising and setting as it usually did, it was just hidden behind the darkness, and unable to penetrate through.
 
Serena got lucky as the city decided to cancel classes for the day, and that the city was going to undergo a series of provisions for the while the fog remained.
 
-1: As of the next day, life would go on… “Kids would go to school. Parents would go to work. They will pay bills and taxes as usual.”
 
-2: All prices and wages would be frozen for the duration of the event. “What a bottle of water cost you yesterday… it will cost you today and tomorrow.”
 
-3: A curfew to all citizens would be issued for at night it would get so dark that not even the city lights would be able to help you see as well. “No citizens were permitted on the streets between 6:00 pm and 7:00 am.”
 
-4: “Night jobs would be closed down early, and authorized forces would give nightly provisions to all citizens. “Water, Food, Spare lights. Etc, Etc.”
 
And that was pretty much it.
 
Serena stretched happily on her bed. “Well, now for a well earned snooze.” She sighed warmly.
 
Luna was most irritated by her slacking, especially seeing as how she didn't study for her test coming up… but Serena's little nap was cut short when she and Luna heard Saria's being played.
 
“Serena… Luna… you two there?” Link asked in thought.
 
Serena's lips twisted into a scowl. “Hey why doesn't anyone let me enjoy my nap?!” she grunted in thought.
 
“Never mind her, Master… go on.” Luna thought.
 
“I want you two to try and make it to the Temple of time at once. We have some matters to discuss with everyone.” replied Link. “I don't care how you make it here, just get here.”
 
…And he signed off.
 
Serena really was starting to hate this, but she had no choice. So she got dressed, grabbed a flashlight, and crept down and out her window.
 
It sure was pitch black alright, her flashlight was barely able to help her see too far ahead, but she reached the Temple and found everyone there waiting for her.
 
“I couldn't understand it.” said Lita, “I missed my morning jog because I it was way too dark out.”
 
“I couldn't even find the newspaper when I woke up either.” added Mina.
 
Everyone knew this was happening all over the world, but exactly what was it, and why was it happening?
 
“I think I now what's happening.” Link said. “I heard many stories about this on my home planet, but I never actually saw it before.”
 
Legend had it that 5,000 on Legora… which chronologically made it 15,000 years ago from the present day…
 
Legora was said at the time to have been threatened by a vast army of shadows who covered the land with a mysterious blanket of darkness, known as Twilight.
 
It was not to be confused with the same twilight that occurred when the sun set at the end of the day. This was evil source of power, that poisoned the land by covering it in type of nighttime that never ended.
 
This gave the shadows all the edges they needed as with all the darkness around, it gave them more places to hide, and faster speeds of travel.
 
In a time that the darkness had become so out of hand, and spread so violently, the Sages had constructed the Shadow Temple to absorb all the darkness and keep the twilight at bay.
 
 
“So what does this mean exactly?” asked Serena.
 
“It means… we must find where the Shadow Temple is, and shut down the source of the twilight.: said Link. “Otherwise, the darkness will never lift.”
 
He went on to explain that the darkness was already causing them a lot of trouble. One of which; the Triforce Shard radar in the Door of Time was being jammed. It was far too dark to detect exactly where the beep was coming from.
 
“Worse than that, this makes it almost too dark to see where the Triforce Shards even with the lens of truth.” replied Link. “Were going to have to maintain a full scale alert for any signs of trouble, as well as search for the Shadow Temple.”
 
Everyone was clear on that, and they all then decided to head home before anyone noticed they were gone.
 
Later that day
 
Provisions went on as the news had reported, and every home was given extra lights, food an water. Even headlight hardhats for if they had to go outside during the hours.
 
School and work may had been out for the day, but there wasn't really that much for anyone to really do outside in the dark, or with everything closed and all.
 
Still, Link and the girls did go outside to keep the patrol going, and were surprised to see some people actually outside and enjoying the dark.
 
Some kids were at the playground. Some teenagers still on a lunch date with their special someone, and there were some places in town that didn't bother to stay closed down whether it was dark or not.
 
So that at least gave everyone a little something to do while they searched for a possible holder of the seventh Triforce Shard… but so far, they found nothing.
 
The Lens of truth didn't work across great distances in the dark, so they would have to get close up to everyone to scan them.
 
Serena, Darien, and Luna met up along the bridge near the cemetery. “Any signs of anything?” Luna asked.
 
Darien shook his head. “This is like trying to look for piece of hair in a haystack.” Darien said. “And that's harder than a needle.”
 
“I wish there was an easier way tot do this… my feet hurt.” Serena moaned. “And why did we have to meet up hear in any case. Cemeteries freak me out.”
 
Serena hated the way all the gravestones, and statues, not to mention he owls and ravens that sometimes lurked in the trees nearby… sure made things look creepy.
 
Darien knew what she meant. He too didn't think too cool of graveyards either, but he didn't let it bother him as much.
 
Just then, they all heard a scream come from down below. “What was that?” cried Serena.
 
“It came from down in the graveyard.” said Luna, then they saw what it was.
 
A young teenage-boy was running from three ravens chasing him down, trying to geet his lunch-bag. He tried to shoo them away with the shovel he was carrying but it only made the birds angrier.
 
“Let's go help him.” Darien suggested.
 
The young man was trapped between the birds and a thick concrete wall. “Go away!” he cried. “Leave me alone!” but the birds just kept coming closer, and closer…
 
Until they were being pelted at by stones. “Go on! Get away from him!” growled Darien as he pelted more stones. Finally, when Luna jumped in with her claws flying, the birds finally scuttled off.
 
Serena walked over to the young man. “It's okay, you can come out now.” she said.
 
The young man came to his senses, “Thanks a lot for scarring those birds away.” he said.
 
“Hey, no problem.” said Darien.
 
Serena and Darien stuck around for a while and got to know the young man. “My name's Marco, and I'm the grave keeper's assistant here. But to be honest, I really wish I had some other job.”
 
Marco told them about what had happened.
 
He was an only child, his father died in a car crash three years back, and he lived with his mother, but they were having serious financial troubles and Marco decided to go get a job.
 
Of that meant he had to drop out of school a little bit, and his mother did try inform him that's he could use her pension and what little she made at work, but that wasn't the way he planned it.
 
With his father gone, by all rights that appointed Marco as Man of the house, and he saw that it was up to him to help earn some money.
 
Sadly the only job he could find that could pay him good enough was being the grave keeper's assistance, and most of the work was late in the afternoon so he could still go to school for a while.
 
But unfortunately… as fate would have it… he was afraid of cemeteries as well.
 
He hated the way he had to make sure all the bodies stayed buried, because being so close to the dead really freaked him out, not to mention it made his very sad as it reminded him of going to his dad's funeral.
 
And lately those birds had been picking on him non-stop to get a sample of his lunch, or just to give him a bad day.
 
“It's almost as if I'm afraid of my own shadow these days.”
 
“So then, why don't you just find another job?” Serena asked.
 
Marco had often thought about it, but he had no real experience in any other job placements. Besides, he needed the job to help his mother earn money.
 
And there was just one other thing that kept him from quitting… his boss.
 
“Hey, Marco…” called a voice from behind the shadows. Everyone heard the sound of footsteps coming their way, and there a fat, hunchbacked man, with pale skin, cold burning eyes like a Moloch, and a funny, yet creepy looking face.
 
“Ah, there you are boy.” He said in a cackling-western voice.
 
“I take it, this is your boss.” Serena said.
 
Marco nodded.
 
The man bowed to them. “Dampee the Grave keeper… at your service.” He said. “Yep, I own the ground it's built on, and the bodies buried underneath.”
 
(Don't confuse him with THE Dampee from the game itself. He's just a doppelganger)
 
Serena and Darien didn't know what to think. Dampee did look all disgruntled and a little creepy, but he did seem rather friendly.
 
Dampee just wanted to tell Marco that the Heart-pounding Grave-digging tour began that night, and he was proud of the way he kept the ground nice and level around the digging spaces.
 
“I don't know what I'd do without you son.” And then he walked off.
 
Now Serena and Darien got the drift. It wasn't all the fact that Dampee looked a little creepy, Marco wasn't sure he would quit because he didn't want to risk hurting Dampee's feelings.
 
“Most people don't come too close to Dampee because of his ugliness. He's used to it, but he still get's kind of lonely… I'm the only the only employee he's ever had. I don't know what to do.”
 
Now the picture was complete.
 
Marco never told Dampee he was afraid of cemeteries, and he couldn't think of what Dampee would do if he quit.
 
Meanwhile
 
Bongo was looking at them through his glass. “Well now… what have we here?” he sniggered. “I've found my next target already, and how convenient it is to have it right in my backyard too. Hmm, mm, mm.”
 
With the Twilight all around all Bongo had to do wait until Marco was alone. Which he didn't have to wait too long for because he Serena and Darien had already gone.
 
“Perfect… he's alone.” He rubbed his hands together and called up his spirits. “Now… go and get me the shard, my pets.”
 
Later on
 
When Serena and Darien met up with the rest of the gang, and they told them about Marco. “Well, it sounds like he's trying to argue with himself over the right thing to do.” said Rei.
 
Everyone sighed, and didn't know what to do. To make matters worse, nobody had found where the next Triforce victim was, and Link still hadn't found the Shadow Temple.
 
“By the way…” asked Link “Did you two take the time to scan Marco or his boss over?”
 
Serena slapped her forehead, and Darien scratched his hair around. “We got a little distracted in talking to him.” he said.
 
“Maybe we should all go back and scan him.” Lita suggested. “It can even give us all a chance to talk to him.”
 
Link agreed to this and they all started off for the cemetery.
 
As they neared the bridge by the cemetery, Serena held her head down low. “Just my luck I'd have to visit that scary place twice in one day.”
 
“Serena, try to lighten up.” said Artimus. “Were trying to help Marco after all.”
 
“Heh, no point in convincing Serena.” Rei mocked. “She'd just run from the graveyard as if she were late for school.”
 
A couple of the others joined in with that laugh, but Serena was not amused, and neither was Link. “Come on girls try to stay focused.” He said.
 
But as soon as they stepped onto the bridge they heard Marco scream again, and this time they saw he was under attack by Bongo's dark Shadows again.
 
“Then Marco must have the next Shard.” said Lita, “We've got to stop those guys.”
 
“Right… everyone time to transform.” said Link. Everyone nodded and assumed their positions for transforming.
 
“SAILOR SAGE POWER!!” The girls transformed into Super Sailor Scouts.
 
“POWER CHANGE!!” Darien became Tuxedo Mask
 
“ECTO PHASE, ACTIVATE!!” and Link changed to his true form.
 
They all leapt down from the bridge, and came to the disaster area just as the shadows were about to run off with the shard. “Oh, no you don't!” snapped Jupiter. “Help me Venus!”
 
Venus nodded and she and Jupiter ran towards the beasts. “VENUS CRESCENT BEAM… SMASH!!”
 
The beam of light scared the shadows into dropping the shard, and right before they could grab it again.
 
“FOREST… VINE WHIP… LASH!!” Jupiter used her vine-whip to grab it and drop into Link's hand.
 
“Good work ladies.” Link said. “Even in the Twilight, we can still gain what we desire.”
 
Now they all got their game faces on. They may have retrieved another shard, but Marco was already being attacked by the time they got there and already changed into a monster.
 
But not just any ordinary monster.
 
“No, way!” Jupiter cried. “Master, do you see what I see?”
 
Link nodded. It was a Poe!
 
But unlike the Poes they faced in Forest Temple, Link recognized this as a Big Poe. It was a ghost-type monster and the most trickiest and slipperiest of them all.
 
“Big deal… I'm not afraid of some big ugly ghost.” grunted Sailor Moon. “This guy's going to be nothing more than piece of cake.”
 
Big Poe looked up. “You think so?” he asked in a deep voice. “Then perhaps… you could all help me warm up. If you don't mind, that is.”
 
Sailor Moon then went back to being cowardly. “Ah… heh, heh… on second thought--” but it was too late to back out… the battle was on..
 
Working out this monster's weakness sure was tricky. It was even trickier due to all the stunts he was able to do to avoid injury.
 
Big Poe was able to weave himself out of the way to avoid being hit from any possible attack. Worse than that, he didn't have to wait for someone to look him in eyes for him to disappear. He just backed right into a wall, or a large object and vanished. Lantern and all.
 
“Come one out and fight… wherever you are.” growled Link.
 
His face kept on popping up and then fading out, and then popping back in different places. “Over here.” he mocked. “Or is it here? Hee, hee, hee!”
 
Everyone searched all over the graveyard for him, but the Twilight was giving him all the edges he needed as he only popped up when he was about to attack.
 
“Peek-a-boo!!” he mocked and blasted a flare from his lantern knocking three of the Scouts down like dominoes. “Remember kids… don't try this at home.”
 
Just then, a hoard of Deku Nuts slammed near him, and the shots did startle him a little, but they didn't stun him at all.
 
“Oh, boy.” Tuxedo Mask muttered as he saw Big Poe coming for him.
 
“This is going to hurt.” Big Poe sniggered as he stroked his lantern.
 
Then From behind him, Mars tried a surprise attack on him. “MARS FIRE… IGNITE!!” but Big Poe just vanished out of the way and the fire nearly roasted Tuxedo Mask.
 
He jumped out of the way, and the blast merely blasted a huge tunnel into wall.
 
Big Poe was now face-to-face with Link. “Ha, ha, ha… just you and me now, mortal.” he chuckled. and charged forward.
 
Link began to charge forward also, with his sword at the ready. He took a huge swing, but Big Poe vanished at the lasts second, and kicked Link from behind.
 
Everyone ran over to him. “Master? Are you alright?” asked Jupiter.
 
“I'm okay.” Link said as he got to his feet. “But this is ridiculous.”
 
“Yeah… I mean he's beating us so easily.” added Sailor Moon. “Plus he can sneak off into the Twilight where we can see him.”
 
Link's head snapped up. “We can't see him… Of course!” he cried. “That's brilliant.”
 
“Huh? What? What do you mean?”
 
Suddenly she go the drift. They couldn't beat the Big Poe because they couldn't see him… but what would happen if he couldn't them either?
 
They called a break, and then scattered themselves out into the graveyard. Each taking a different hiding spot and waiting for the right moment.
 
“I know you're in here…” Big Poe mocked. “Come out, come out wherever you are.” but none of the fighters came out.
 
So Big Poe decided to make himself invisible to try and find them. “You can't hide from me forever!” he roared. “Come on out and fight!”
 
The smashed and fired his lantern everywhere. He even slammed it into the wall… which made the tunnel even larger.
 
“You're all beginning to make me angry mortals!!” he thundered. “WHERE ARE YOU!!”
 
Just then… Sailor Moon made her move and used her Shadow-powers to appeared right in front of here. “Right here, creepy!”
 
And POW!! She kicked him hard, and sent him flying over to Jupiter.
 
“Anyone for soccer.” She joked, and kicked him hard over to Mars.
 
“I like Volleyball better.” Mars said and she gave him a good sock of the fist.
 
“Batter-up!!” said Tuxedo and he used his can like a baseball bat.
 
Well, they found a way to corner him, but there was only one problem, that Link had informed everyone of much earlier.
 
The Sun's Song would not be of any use to them. The Twilight was blocking out all the light that came from the sky… including, sun and moonlight.
 
This meant they couldn't separate the dark energy from Marco to set him free, but they didn't know what else to do.
 
They couldn't just destroy him, but the couldn't just keep playing bash-ball with him. They had to think of some way to keep him out of trouble.
 
However that way would be… they had to think of it and fast.
 
“Hey… perhaps I can be some assistants.” said Dampee as he stood by the grave keeper's hut dragging a vacuum hose.
 
“What are you doing!” Link cried out as he bashed the Poe again.
 
Dampee made his way over to the ring. “You don't spend most of your life working as a grave keeper without learning a thing or two about poltergeists.”
 
He pressed the On-switch and the vacuum roared to life. “Come on… pass him this way!” he hollered.
 
Mercury did as she was told when she got passed the monster, and kicked him towards the vacuum. The Poe was already beginning to get sucked up.
 
“No, no, no… Not a VACUUUUUUUUM!! Whoa--!!” and he got sucked up through the hose, and landed in a special ice-box in Dampee's hut.
 
“Of course…” said Mercury. “Ghosts move along the air, so the vacuum absorbed all the are the Poe was occupying and sucked him away.”
 
“Glad to see you know your stuff too there, Missy.” said Dampee.
 
This gave everyone a chance to rest from the battle had fought, but now they realized they'd have to find the Shadow Temple sooner than they needed to.
 
Just then… Sailor Moon looked at the concrete wall by the bridge, and thought she could see something in the tunnel that was made during the fight.
 
She got up to take a closer look. “Uh… Master?” she called. “You may want to look at this.”
 
Everyone came over and saw a small staircase leaded down into an alcove, and when they stepped down inside to have a closer look.
 
Dampee was most surprised. “Whew… would you look at that!” he said softly.
 
This room had torches all over the place, and a large solid stone wall with the same symbol the as the lens of truth.
 
“You really bumped into something big here kids.”
 
Link recognized this anywhere. “I almost don't want to believe it, but this is it.” He said. “This is the entrance to the Shadow Temple.”
 
Everyone was amazed. “So it was buried here in the graveyard all along.” said Sailor Mars.
 
“Uh… Master… wait a minute.” asked Sailor Moon. “Now that we actually found it… are you and I going have to like… you know… go into it?”
 
Everyone looked at her as though she had just asked a really dumb question. “Of course we have to go into it.” Link said. “You're destined to become the Sage of Shadow, reborn, and you're the only other one of us here how can survive in there.”
 
According to Link's stories. The Shadow Temple was supposed to be the Darkest and the creepiest of the Five Temple.
 
It was long… over five miles… and it's deepest level was said to be almost 1500 feet down.
 
Not to mention it was always so dark, and the walls were layers and layers of solid rock, that the air was rather thin, almost even poisonous for the rest of the gang.
 
This made Sailor Moon's legs quiver. “Ooh-oh-oh… this is starting to give me the creeps.” she moaned.
 
She knew she'd have no choice but to go with Link inside, but she did admit she was a little afraid of what might await her in there, and nobody really blamed her. Not even Mars.
 
So Link decided to delay the entrance time.
 
They would need some time to recover from the battle they just fought, and he would allow Sailor Moon to bring a couple of things to help her look around in the temple.
 
“And remember… we're setting off first thing in the morning. So no sleeping in.” he said. “I don't care what your school says… I'll deal with it myself.”
 
Sailor Moon was relieved that she wouldn't have to go to school tomorrow, but she didn't quite feel all that excited.
 
Dampee promised not to tell anyone about what they found, or let anyone go near the entrance. “You just leave it to me young feller. I'll look after it all.”
 
“Thank you Dampee… you're very kind.” Link said.
 
Then everyone left the grave yard. For tomorrow was going to test Sailor Moon's courage to the ultimate test.
 
Next stop… The Shadow Temple!
 
HERO AND SAILOR'S SAY
 
Link: “When you're all alone sometimes, it's perfectly natural for you to feel scared of certain things.”
 
Serena: “Sometimes you may have friends who you think would treat you mean if they found out that you're afraid of something.”
 
Amy: “But some of them may actually want to help you, and even if they do laugh, then their just probably trying to cover up what scares them.”
 
Rei: “There are many things you can do to help yourself feel less afraid of things, and the best thing to do first is tell someone.”
 
Lita: “People can't help you, and you can't help yourself if you don't at least say something. Being afraid is nothing really to be embarrassed about.”
 
Mina: “Just remember, Everyone is afraid of something, and they are just like you in ways. Tell someone who you care about, and they can help you.”
 
(Song, Performed Live from the bridge)(NOTE: This song is also played the same as the Shining time Station Jukebox band)
 
(We can't just sit around in the dark feeling scared… let's listen to the music… and maybe it'll go away)
 
(Music plays.)
 
(Link)
 
-There once was a swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a
Coolabah tree
And he sang as he sang as he looked at his old
billy boiler
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"
 
-Down came a jumbuck to drink at the water hole
Up jumped a swagman and grabbed him in glee
And he sang as he stowed him away in his
tucker bag
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me'".
 
-Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda, my darling,
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me,
 
(Link and Darien)
 
Waltzing Matilda and leading a water bag
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?
 
(Link)
 
-Down came a Squatter a riding a thoroughbred
Down came the Policemen - one, two, three
"Wh
o is this jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me".
 
(Link and Darien)
 
-But the swagman he got up and jumped in the water hole
Drown
ed himself by the Coolabah tree,
And his ghost may be heard as it sings in the Billabong,
(The girls)
 
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"
 
(Link and Darien)
 
-Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda my darling
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me,
Waltzing Matilda and leading a water bag
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?
 
(Song ends)