Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Sailor Moon Legend of Zelda ❯ Fireman Sam ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
 
The night sure seemed to pass by quickly. Link and Mina made sure to get a good rest up because now it was time for them set off across the Totori desert.
 
They were given a desert-terrain tractor from a base camp nearby, and they promised Link and Mina, it was their best.
 
Air conditioning… shifting sunroof. It's wheels and caterpillars wheels would easily tear through the hot sand, and even climb with ease over the dunes.
 
Behind them they would be tugging a trailer loaded down with all their supplies. Food… gas for the truck… water… tents… even an emergency radio they could use to call for help if they were in trouble.
 
With everything loaded up… Link and Mina changed into their new exploration outfits. Mina even made some of the boys at the camp ogle her of how cute she looked, but it didn't last long…
 
Link sat in the driver's seat, and Mina climbed in beside him. They waited until they were out of sight until they let Navi out.
 
“You… you know how… hot… it is in there?” she complained. “You could have put some air holes in it or something.”
 
“Well you better get used to it Navi.” Link said, “It's only going to get even hotter the further we go.”
 
Mina checked the temperature gauge. “Whew… it's already 107 degrees-F out here, and slowly rising.” she said. “Better turn on the A.C.”
 
The temperature in the cab already began to go down, and they all sighed with relaxation. “Ahh… that's much better.” Navi said as she lay down across one of the vents. “So… how far are we going to have to actually travel?”
 
Mina checked the map. “According to what we heard… the people at the base camp have received a signal of violent sandstorms about 150 miles north of here. It appeared two days ago, and hasn't ceased since.”
 
“They've been trying to send some of their best teams into it, but they've gone in and come out again all scared to their bones. Which why they named the place… the Haunted Wasteland.”
 
“Haunted Wasteland, eh?” Link said. “That takes me way back.” And he began to tell her another story…
 
The Desert on his home planet was where Ganondorf was born. He was part of thieving race called… Gerudos.
 
An all female race, where only one man was born every century, and by their laws was to be crowned King of thieves.
 
Ganondorf lead his armies into stealing from mother and children… robbing the poor of all their possessions, even killing other people… Like mothers, like son…he must have learned it all from Twinrova.
 
The desert was where the Spirit Temple was located, but in order to reach it, one would have to cross a Haunted Wasteland which was identical in every detail to the one they had to face.
 
It was a very cursed place where only one path you could follow was true. If you ran off, or tried to chase a mirage, the desert would send you right back to the point where you started.
 
To make it easier of where you were going, a set of trials were laid out that could safely guide you through the desert, but those who were not properly prepared end up perishing from hunger trying to find the end of the desert, while the rest just gave up and never tried again.
 
 
“Wow… that sounds like quite a challenge.” said Mina. “Were the challenges anything like the ones the men at the camp gave us?”
 
“Actually, believe it or not… the trials they told us about are exactly the same as the ones I faced.” Link answered.
 
The very first trial Link ever faced was called. “The River of Sand.” It was a step hill composed of really-quicksand, it could swallow a heard of elephants in mere seconds, but it would only just send you back to your starting point, not kill you.
 
But… a word of caution… it would hurt.
 
But the Hover Boots would keep them on top of the sand always, so they didn't really have to worry about that.
 
Once up at the top, they would have to follow a series of flags placed along the trail which would lead them up tot halfway point.
 
“Still… I don't know if the third challenge is there as they said they never reached that far.” Link said. “But we'll find out for ourselves.”
 
Mina checked their coordinates, and if everything went well, supplies stayed with them, and they stayed on schedule… they were sure to reach the Haunted Wasteland sometime the next morning.
 
“I wonder how the others are holding up back at home?” Mina wondered.
 
Meanwhile
 
A nice Friday morning on a glorious start of a three-day weekend, and where do you think everyone was… At the Temple of Time, still trying to find where the last Triforce shard could be. So far, no luck.
 
“It's no use…” Amy said. “Whenever it is we just can't detect it.”
 
“Well at least we know Ganondorf doesn't have it.” Luna said. “But we mustn't think we've won just yet.”
 
“She's got a point.” said Rei. “We should also be thinking about how we're going get back those other three shards he already has.”
 
“Oh, great idea Rei.” Serena mocked. “And just how are we supposed to do that? We don't even know where Ganondorf is hiding, and even if we did, how can possibly reach it?”
 
“Calm down Serena.” Darien said. “Remember what Master said… once we have the last Medallion, we should able to figure it out.”
 
Lita checked the radar map of the Tottori Dunes. One slow-blinking red dot showed Link and Mina's current position, and the fast blinking dot was the location of the Spirit Temple.
 
“Well… they've only just set off.” She said. “And by this point they've just past the first ten miles. They've got a long way to go yet.”
 
Artimus did miss Mina a little and really wished he could have joined gone on the trip, but Link was right. He wouldn't be able to survive the Spirit Temple's Hot-Sandy atmosphere, and he wouldn't really be able to defend himself in the desert.
 
No, he was better off in Tokyo helping the others stay on patrol. So far everything was still quiet in town… but they all knew that somewhere, something was going to happen.
 
Meanwhile
 
Kotake couldn't believe her Freezards had failed her, but tit did prove her and Koume's theories. “There really are strangers in multi-colored costumes.” said Koume.
 
“Not too mention… that meddling kid who nearly beat us once before.” added Kotake. “I will find these meddlers and teach them a lesson!”
 
“Now hold on Kotake, you already had your turn.” said Koume. “Time to let me go at it now.”
 
Kotake knew that was indeed fair. “Oh, okay Koume… but do you have even have a plan yet?” she asked.
 
Koume just sat there and winked at her sister. “Of course.” she said softly and the conjured up her spell. “Abrac-pocus… Hocus-cadabra… Aaaaaalakazam!!”
 
Just like Kotake… the red jewel on her turban began to glow, and then released a wave of red energy that flew out into the world.
 
“Fly my pretties… destroy the city of Tokyo and have some fun. Hee, hee, hee…!”
 
Later that day
 
Flames and flames here… smoke, and smoke there. Here-a-flame, there-a-smoke, everywhere A FIRE!!!
 
First it was the Tokyo mall, then it was a few restaurants. Even some apartments and houses caught fire, and it was again reported that these fires were no accident. Someone, or rather something caused it, yet they had no lead to who was behind it.
 
Well the Sailor Scouts and Tuxedo mask had a good idea. They had been wander about the town all day helping assess the situations and help the fire departments.
 
After all, there were so many fires around town that even the best firefighters couldn't be everywhere at once.
 
Sailor Moon used her Shadow Powers to help transport people out of the burning buildings safely, while Sailor Mars was actually able to absorb most of the flames to douse them.
 
Mercury used her best water attack to put the flames out and cool things down. Then she was able to put her paramedic skills to good use by helping the injured.
 
As for Sailor Jupiter… well… her Jupiter powers would only make things worse, and none of her Forest powers were good against fire. So she stayed down below and helped the police with the crowd control.
 
All of them were very tired by the time the got to the café for they're daily jobs, and then EXRTEMELY exhausted at closing time.
 
They had been helping the city fight the fires all day long.
 
“Even the Fire Temple wasn't as tough as today.” Rei said trying her hardest not to fall asleep and fall off her chair.
 
“At least we know it's just another one of Twinrova's plots.” Darien said. “Now we just have to find whatever it is and finish it off.”
 
“Too bad we have no leads on where it's coming from.” Serena said as she mopped the kitchen floor. “The fires have been happening all over town.”
 
“Well maybe if we can figure out a pattern, we can try and follow whatever is causing the fire and stop it.” said Amy. “And I think I may already have found it.”
 
She motioned everyone to move closer to her computer. “Look… the first of the fires started here… at the mall.” she said. “Then these buildings north of it, and then it stopped at this neighborhood up here.”
 
They could already see what was happening. Whatever it was causing these fires was going North, right up through the town.
 
“So if we're right… then the next place to get attacked is this Elementary school.” replied Amy, but when the picture came into view everyone gasped… that was no ordinary Elementary School.
 
“Th-- that's Sammy's School!” cried Serena. “He could be in danger.”
 
“How can that be? It's almost evening.” said Rei. “Shouldn't have the teachers left the building yet?”
 
Serena told them that not all schools ran on the same schedules, and tonight was open house night at Sammy's school. Which meant not only were all the students still there… but now a whole wide load of adults were there.
 
Serena looked at the clock. “EEE… in fact it's starting right about now!” she cried.
 
“Well let's get going.” Lita shouted out.
 
They all changed from their café uniforms to their clothes, and were out the door in a split second.
 
Meanwhile
 
Sammy's school had indeed went into open house hours. The whole place was as busy as a mall on boxing day.
 
Already Sammy and his folks had met up with Sammy's teacher, and seen all of Sammy's good work and reports.
 
“Now why can't your sister do the same?” Kenji mumbled under his breath, but then he got elbowed in the ribs softly by his wife.
 
“Honey… please!” Ikuko whispered. “Go on Sammy… what's your project about?”
 
Sammy showed them his diorama on Fire-Safety, and how to handle fires and put them out properly.
 
“Think you'd be interested in a Fireman's career there sport?” Kenji asked, but Sammy didn't really know. There was still so much about fires he didn't think that he knew of yet.
 
Then suddenly his nose twitched. “Hey… what's that smell?” he asked. Everyone's noses picked up the smell as it grew stronger and stronger.
 
“Smells like barbeque.” Kenji said. “Hope their serving steaks.”
 
But suddenly, the fire-alarm went off and someone yelled. “FIRE!!”
 
Then with building gave a huge jolt as flames burst everywhere causing everyone in the entire school to run into a panic.
 
Most of them didn't care if they had to pay for damages, and just smashed down some of the windows, but the people at the top floor… namely Sammy, and folks, were trapped.
 
All the stairways blocked by the flames and burning rubble, and the windows leading to a two-story plunge onto hard ground.
 
Most of the people were already evacuated by the time help had arrived, but the fire chief cautioned everyone to step back, because there was going to be a big blow out any second.
 
This was disastrous indeed. Everyone, even the firemen knew there was still people trapped upstairs, but the fire was growing by the minute and almost to blinding to even approach.
 
“Look! It's the Sailor Scouts!”
 
The Scouts and Tuxedo Mask came leaping down from the buildings… without Link or Venus of course. “Mars, Mercury… Go!” cried Sailor Moon.
 
Mercury leapt over to the flames “MERCURY BUBBLES… BLAST!!” and her misty bubbles douses the flames down a bit.
“Right I'm going in.” said Mars as she ran right through the flames and into the building.
 
The Fire-chief was amazed. “How in the world did she do that?” he asked.
 
“Never mind that! Get you r men in there!” cried Jupiter.
 
Since the fire had gone down a bit thanks to Mercury's misty-spray, and Mars already inside absorbing the power of the flames, the blow out was a averted, but the people at the top could still be suffocating.
 
The Firemen dashed in quickly, but Sailor Moon had to stay outside with Jupiter and Tuxedo Mask to control the crowd since she didn't know where anybody was upstairs.
 
“I just hope Sammy's okay up there.” She cried.
 
With Sailor Mercury on the outside watering down the flames, and Sailor Mars inside absorbing them, everything looked as though it would be okay.
 
Inside
 
The Firemen had already broken through to the upper-floor and heard the sounds of the trapped people screaming.
 
“HELP!!”
 
“WE'RE IN HERE!!”
 
They ran down the hallway towards the main classrooms, but right there at the end of the hallway. “Whoa… what is that?”
 
A Strange creature… which Koume called, an Anibus was floating in midair and breathing fire everywhere, and barely missed the men.
 
“Open the water.” the chief cried out, and their hoses went crazy as the sprayed the monster and the walls. The flames died down a bit, but the Anibus wasn't even hurt in the slightest.
 
“What the--?”
 
“No way?!”
 
The monster's eyes glowed an angry-red and growled, shooting out fresh flames and setting the room off again.
 
While in Sammy's classroom… “What's going on out there?” snapped Kenji. “Do they realize WE NEED HELP HERE!!”
 
His loud voice attracted the attention of the Anibus as it turned around and smashed down the door, causing everyone to break into a worse panic than before.
 
The Anibus breathed out more fire. “Mom, Dad! Look out!” Sammy cried as he shoved them both out of the way.
 
The flames missed them, but upon falling to the floor, they were knocked out-cold. “Awe, man! Not cool!” Sammy cried.
 
He turned back to the strange monster and saw the Firemen still trying to spray at it, but nothing was working. This was one fire that just wouldn't go out by water.
 
Sammy knew there had to be something they were over looking. In his studies he learned that every fire had a weakness, and this monster was a fire-type, but it was invulnerable to water, so what was it's weakness.
 
Sammy then saw the monster backing the Firemen into a corner, as they were stumped on what to do then. Nothing the fired at it seemed to hurt it.
 
Sammy then thought about hitting it with something hard and powerful, like maybe… a wooden club… with the top on fire.
 
The other adults urged Sammy not to try it, but Sammy had to do something. “Hey, Hot head!!” he called.
 
The monster turned to face him, and then it's eyes widened at what he was holding.
 
“Batter up!!” and Sammy took a huge swing at the monster which not only sent it back hard, but fragment of it's skin began to blaze.
 
“Of course!” he said. “Why it's so obvious.”
 
Then, more help arrived as Mars and Mercury leapt into the room through the window. “Is everyone all right?” asked Sailor Mercury, then she saw the Anibus. “And what is that thing?”
 
“Sailor Mars… Sailor Mercury…” cried Sammy. “Fire! It's vulnerable to Fire!”
 
Mars and Mercury didn't understand what he was talking about, but they did decided to trust him when they saw the monster was already burning up from his flaring skin.
 
“Cover me, Mercury!” said Mars.
 
She knew she couldn't use her Mars Fire, or Din's Fire… but that didn't stop her from using her Fire Arrows. “Yo, red… Catch!!” she called as she fired her hot arrows.
 
The monster got hit, and flared up like a gasoline tank. “WACTH IT… IT'S GOING TO BLOW!!” cried the Fire chief.
 
“Not if I can help it.” Said Mercury, and she fired her Ice arrows to calm the flames down, and the monster was dusted, and that's not all…
 
The moment the dust itself had vanished, all the fires vanished, and all the damage around the school began to go back to normal as if it was never attacked in the first place.
 
And yes… all the other buildings that were burned had also been restored.
 
Still… some of the people did need medical attention. Namely Sammy's folks with those big bumps on their heads, but the worst was over.
 
The Firemen wanted to thank the Sailor Scouts personally, but the Scouts also said that it was Sammy who deserved all the thanks.
 
“Kid… you're a natural born Firefighter.” said the Chief. “I've always heard the expression, Fight Fire With Fire… but I never thought it would actually help us out.”
 
“So that's why…” he said as she stuck a badge on Sammy's Shirt. “Until you grow up kid… we're making you an honorary member of the Tokyo Fire Brigade.”
 
Sammy felt honored… really honored, and Sailor Moon really felt proud of her brother, though she couldn't tell him that for it would mean revealing her secret.
 
Still, another crisis averted, and the city was safe again, but for how long?
 
Meanwhile, in Tottori
 
It sure had been a long and hard day, but the sun was starting to set, and Link and Mina decided to set up camp for the night.
 
So far they had come nearly 100 miles, leaving them with only around fifty more to go before they reached the Haunted Wasteland.
 
Two large tents with foldable beds and sleeping bags were set up near the parked tractor. A nice warm bonfire with a pot of hot chicken and beef soup to warm things up in the dropping temperature.
 
“Gee… it sure feels nice and cooler with the sun going down.” said Navi. “How cool is it exactly.”
 
Mina check the temperature gauge. “It's now roughly 60 degrees-F, and slowly dropping.” she said. “Lucky for me I packed us some sweaters.”
 
“Come and get it girls.” Link said.
 
He and Mina served themselves each a huge bowl of soup, and Link gave Navi a couple pieces of chicken and beef. Well… she was tiny, and to her, a little was a lot.
 
“You all right there, Mina… you seem awfully quiet.” Link said.
 
“I'm just worried about the everyone else.” she said. “Do you really think they can take care of the city without us?”
 
“Oh sure they can.” Navi said looking up from her piece of chicken. “You were all fighting monsters long before we came into town.”
 
Link nodded in agreement. “It's true…” he said. “Mina I didn't choose you and the others to help me because were Sailor Scouts.”
 
“It's because you all were the chosen ones who would carry out the Sages' destiny and help me vanquish the evil that threatens our world forever.”
 
Mina smiled. “Just like the way Queen Serenity chose us all to be the Planet Princesses, reborn and protect the Universe.”
 
“Right you are Mina… so stick to your guns, and you'll be a Sage in no time.” replied Link.
 
After dinner, the fire had gone out, and Link, and Mina were already snoozing happily in their respective tents.
 
Navi even used some leftovers of what she didn't eat as a pillow. So at least she wouldn't get hungry during the night.
 
Still… they came that far through the desert… but how much further did they have to go?
 
What wrong turns would they make?
 
Would the weather be with them, or against them?
 
Only time would tell.
 
HERO AND SAILORS SAY
 
Link: “That was a very brave thing for Sammy to do, the way he helped all those people to put out the fire.”
 
Mina: “Sammy may be small, and not very powerful, but size has nothing whatsoever to do with how brave you are.”
 
Serena: “Sammy may not be a Sailor Scout or a Sage, but he does have heart, and talent… even at being annoying at time!”
 
Amy: “Most people think that small people aren't worth too much of interest and that they can't do much, but don't you believe it.”
 
Rei: “It doesn't matter how big or small you are. It's what's in you head, and in your heart. That's what really matters.”
 
Lita: “Always remember… people may be small, but you'd be surprised by the big things they can do.”
 
(Song, Sung in a fantasy world of the future, with Sammy all grown up, and as a Fireman)
 
(Link)
 
-When he hears that fire-bell chime,
Fireman Sam is there on time.
Putting on his coat and hat,
in less than seven seconds flat.
 
-He's always on the scene.
(Fireman Sam!)
And his engine's bright and clean.
(Fireman Sam!)
You can not ignore,
(Sam is the hero next door.)
-Driving down the busy streets,
greeting people that he meets.
Someone could be in a jam,
so, hurry, hurry Fireman Sam.

-So move aside, make way.
(Fireman Sam!)
'Cos he's gonna save the day.
(Fireman Sam!)
He's the one we adore.
(Sam is the hero next door.)

-When he's fighting fires,
he's always cool and calm,
and everyone admires,
when there's a fire alarm.
He's great, he never tires.
He always sees it through and that's true.
(Darien plays Guitar solo)

(Link)
 
-He's always on the scene.
(Fireman Sam!)
And his engine's bright and clean.
(Fireman Sam!)
You can not ignore,
(Sam is the hero next door.)

-If your cat's caught in a tree,
Sam will climb and set it free.
If
you're stuck give him a shout.
Sam will always help you out.

-Hooray for Fireman Sam!
He's always brave and strong.  
Hooray for Fireman Sam!
And when there's something wrong.
He'll always be along
To help both you and me
Don't you see.

-He's always on the scene.
(Fireman Sam!)
And his engine's bright and clean.
(Fireman Sam!)
You can not ignore,
(Sam is the hero next door.)

-And Everybody knows
(Fireman Sam!)
Dressed in his fireman's clothes.
(Fireman Sam!)
Well, we've seen him before.
Sam is the hero next door.

-So move aside, make way.
(Fireman Sam!)
'Cos he's gonna save the day.
(Fireman Sam!)
He's the one we adore.
Sam is the hero next door.
He's always on the scene.
(Fireman Sam!) Fireman Sam!
And his engine's bright and clean.
(Fireman Sam!)
You can not ignore,
Sam is the hero next door.
 
(Song Ends)
 
Author's notes:
 
I do so like Fire Sam's full opening theme…
 
In fact, believe it or not, I find it to be great music for listening to, when I walk around the block on a beautiful warm morning.
 
You should try it… it really helps make you forget your troubles.