Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Sailor Moon Legend of Zelda ❯ Desert Disasters ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
 
The tractor seemed to be traced across the Totori Desert, only this time, Link was going just a little faster. They had to hurry if they were to find and clear the Spirit Temple, and make it back o Tokyo before Mina's mom got back from her trip.
 
“Master, can't you slow down a bit?” asked Mina. “You have to treat this sand with respect.”
 
“Respect?” Link said. “I hate the sight of it, but I suppose maybe I could slow up a bit.” So he did, but Navi did not approve of this.
 
“Link, no!” she whined, “Feels like we've been in the silly desert of years.”
 
“It's only been 36 hours, Navi. That's one and a half days.” said Mina. “If we go too fast we could slip.”
 
“Slip, on what?” Navi snorted. “You see anything out there we can slip on? Come on!!” and she flew down to the gas pedal and thrust it down hard.
 
“Whoa! Navi… what are you doing?!” cried Link.
 
“Navi!!”
 
The tractor zoomed across the hills. Link tried to hit the break, but Navi used her magic to jam it. “Navi! Slow down!” cried Mina.
 
“Quit whining… you get sand in your throat.” Navi called up.
 
Too bad for her and the others, no one noticed that the tractor was going so fast that the trailer's coupling was beginning to get creaky and shaky.
 
The tractor zoomed up a hill and was beginning to curl to the side, and Link could barely hold it. “Navi! We're sliding, you've got to slow down!” he called.
 
“Oh, for Pete-sake, just shut up and hang on!” Navi growled, but then she ate those words as the got to the top of the hill and the trailer broke away and tumbled back down the hill taking all the supplies with it.
 
Navi finally stopped the truck, and all three of them looked behind and down at the big mess down below.
 
“You stupid fool.” snapped Mina. “I knew this would happen.”
 
Navi did feel a little ashamed.
 
“All our gasoline and water's in that trailer.” said Link. “We better go get it.”
 
He barely had his hand on the door handle, when suddenly… KABOOM!! KABLAM!! KAPOW!!
 
The hot desert sunlight heated the sensitive cases of gasoline causing them to explode, blowing up the trailer and all the supplies to ash.
 
BOOM!!
 
Mina was horrified. “Master…” she spoke in a worried tone. “It's… it's gone. All of it.”
 
Link nodded. “Water… Gas… Food… Equipment… everything.”
 
“What are we going to do?” replied Mina. “We're over 100 miles away from the Base Camp.”
 
“Yeah.” Link said as checked the gas meter. “And thanks to Navi's little stunt… there's only a few gallons of juice left in the truck.”
 
“Gee. That's really not going to get us far.” said Navi.
 
“Well… we'll just have to radio the base camp for help, maybe they can send an emergency chopper.” Link said.
 
“Yeah, that could work.” said Mina but then suddenly she remembered. “Awe, no! We can't.” she cried and she put her hands to her head. “I put the radio on the trailer.”
 
Link slumped down in his seat. “Oh, no!”
 
“Blast it!! Why did you have to go and do a fool thing like that?!” Navi scolded, but then she looked up. “Hey! Look there.”
 
There… halfway down the step slope was the radio. It had fallen out of the trailer and therefore didn't go up in flames, but it still didn't look so good when Link went to get it.
 
“Well… how does it look?” Mina called.
 
“It's taken a pounding, but it could be alright.” Link said, and so he tried it. “Base-Camp Tottori from Link.”
 
No response.
 
“Come in Tottori.”
 
No response again.
 
“Come in Tottori… this is Link calling… do you read me?”
 
Still, no response!
 
Link hauled it up to the truck so they could get a better look at it, but no matter what they tried, they got no response.
 
“I guess it's no good.” Link sighed. “The sonic compensators are damaged. There's not enough power to even reach the next sand dune.”
 
“But I need water.” Navi whined.
 
“Oh, Navi… will you quit moaning!” Mina snapped. “It's your fault we got into this fix in the first place.”
 
“All right, all right… that's enough!” snapped Link. “Now let's try and think this thing through. We've only got enough gas to take this truck around 30 miles… which way do you think should we go?”
 
“That's a fool question.” said Navi. “All ways there's just sand, and more sand.”
 
Mina got out the map. “Yes. But there's waterholes in Tottori just like all deserts, and just found us one… 25 miles due north and still on our trail to the Haunted Wasteland.”
 
“25 miles. We can make it.” Navi cried for joy.
 
“Yeah… let's go.” Link said as he started up the engine. “And keep working on the radio.” And they started off.
 
Meanwhile
 
Koume and Kotake were arguing over who would get to launch the next attack.
 
“Come on, Koume. You just had your turn!”
 
“No way, Kotake, that turn didn't count.”
 
They kept on arguing until they decided. “Hey… what if we…” they both narrowed their eyes sinisterly and exchanged the same thoughts.
 
So they mounted their broomsticks, and off the went. “Well you know what they say. Ho, ho, ho!”
 
“If you want something done right, do it yourself. Hee, hee, hee!”
 
Later on
 
The truck had come nearly all of the 30 miles it could go, but sadly, the radio was damaged beyond repair. “It's no good. The thing's totally dead.” cried Venus.
 
“Never mind about that now.” Link said. “Hey… look out there.”
 
The girls looked up ahead and saw a few palm trees on the horizon, which could only mean one thing. “The waterhole.” Navi cried. “You found it!” She could barely contain herself. “I'm going to drink that waterhole dry.”
 
“Ha, ha, ha… not without us you're not.” added Mina.
 
Link too was looking forward to a nice long drink, but as they neared the hole. “I don't believe it.” He muttered under his breath. “Hey girls… take a good long hard look at that waterhole.”
 
The girls looked confused. “Why? I don't see anything wrong.” said Mina.
 
“Me either.” said Navi. “Just Palm trees… and--”
 
Their throats went drier than before as Link stopped the truck right in front of the waterhole that hadn't even a single drop in it. In fact… from the looks of things, it had been completely dry for months.
 
Link smacked his hand against the steering-wheel “Nothing!”
 
“No… no… it can't be! There's got to be water.” cried Mina
 
“Link you got to do something.” Added Navi, “This heat… we'll go crazy!!”
 
“Calm down you two… I'll take care of everything.” Link said. “I'll just try again to reach the base camp.
 
Mina hadn't the foggiest of what he meant by that. “But Master we can't. Remember, the radio's dead.”
 
Link shook his head. “The radio's not the only way for Me to send for help.” He said. He pulled out his Ocarina. “I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this.” and he played Saria's song.
 
Meanwhile, in Tokyo
 
Amy was at home, studying. Typical of her to want to study on such a beautiful Saturday. When she heard the music through the air.
 
“Calling Sailor Mercury.” Link's thoughts said over the distance. “Are you there Amy?”
 
“Go ahead, Master.” Amy answered. “Is everything alright.”
 
When Link told her about what had happened, and asked her to get the others, contact the Base Camp over the phone, he would take care of the bill, and ask them to send an emergency chopper to the coordinates.
 
“Will do… hold tight.”
 
So Amy got busy, and after awhile, the gang made breakthrough and called the Base Camp. The Base Camp responded, but said they wouldn't be able to send a chopper until the next morning.
 
You know how it was, with all the fueling… preparing… and as mentioned, Mina and Link didn't have any food on them, nor enough gas to make it back.
 
Still, there seemed to be no other way, Link and Mina would just have to try and hang in there.
 
Back in the desert
 
“Well, that takes care of that.” Link said.
 
Mina didn't know how Link could act with such mellowness. Did he even realize that they were dying of thirst? Why, with that sun beaming down on them, they'd all be lucky to last another hour, much less until the next morning.
 
“Well, go get the canteens out. We're going to need them.” He said.
 
Mina and Navi looked at each other in confusion. “I think he's totally lost it.” Navi muttered.
 
Mina was about to ask Link if he was even thinking straight when he suddenly began to play a new song on his Ocarina… The Song of Storms.
 
In almost no time, it was actually raining, real… cool… fresh… drinking “WATER!!” the girls cried out together.
 
Link smiled, “Like I said… there's nothing on this world that I myself can't do.” He said to himself.
 
The water hole was filled right up to the top by the time it stopped raining. The canteens were all filled, and Link, Mina and Navi all had a nice long drink from the hole itself.
 
They still had the luggage bags on the truck, so they stripped off their clothes, wrapped Themselves up in towels, and gently soaked themselves into the waterhole like a relaxing cool pool.
 
Of course they did make sure to mark territories. Link stayed on one side, and Mina stayed on another.
 
“Ahh… that's nice!” Navi said in a cozy daze.
 
For the whole afternoon they sat their in the cool water, until Mina looked up and saw something up over the horizon. “Hey, what's that up ahead?” she asked.
 
Link and Navi looked around. “I don't see anything.” said Navi. “You probably just saw a mirage.”
 
“No!” Mina snapped. “Look harder.”
 
Link finally saw it… a great field of sandstorms up on the horizon. “Oh, my gosh. That's the--”
 
“The Haunted Wasteland.” added Navi. “I'd know that sand cloud anywhere.”
 
Mina hopped out of the pool, gripping her towel tightly around her. She checked the map. “It is… we made it.” she cried.
 
Link and Mina got dressed again, and they all sat back in the truck. “We've got just enough power to reach it.” Link said. “Let's get going before the sun sets.”
 
They started up they truck and were off. They had just barley reached the foot of the Sand-twisters when the truck finally gave out.
 
But they couldn't have a care it the world about that. “Wow… would you look at this!” Mina said. “Oh, if only we hadn't lost the oxygen masks.”
 
Link and Navi exchanged looks of obliviousness.
 
“Mina… we don't need them.” Link said. “Remember… both you and I can survive in there if… we…” he flexed his eyebrows.
 
“Oh… of course.” Mina said. “How basic can you get.”
 
“VENUS STAR POWER… SAGE OF SPIRIT!!” and she became Super Sailor Venus.
 
“ECTO PHASE, ACTIVATE.” And Link changed into his true form, and for extra protection form he sand… “HEAT RESIST, ACTIVATE!!” he donned on his Red outfit.
 
Then they entered the...
 
HAUNTED WASTLELAND
 
It sure was pretty violent. They could hardly see too far up ahead. “Whoa… when I get out of this… I think I'm going to need a new perm.” Venus said.
 
“Okay, Okay, now remember…” Link said. “Stay close together. If you wander off, you could get sent right back here, and get lost.”
 
The girls nodded, and they started off a few paces forward right to the first trial… The River of Sand!
 
It consisted of a step slope with very quicksand indeed, rushing down it. Venus couldn't resist and tossed a small stone into it, and it sank down before she could even say “One?”
 
“Whoa!” she stepped back a bit, but then Link grabbed her hand, “Never mind that.” He said, and he lead her over to the sand where their Hover Boots kept them safely walking on top of the sand.
 
“Don't worry about the sands.” Navi said. “Just walk right over it.”
 
They made it up to the top of the hill, and now things were even harder to see than ever, but at least the flags, the men at the Base Camp said about, were there to mark the route.
 
“Well, let's get going.”
 
They followed the flags as carefully as they could, but those sands were thicker than foggy, cloudy-days, making it hard to see just where the next flag was.
 
Worse than that, now a few green monsters were popping up out from the sand and giving chase. “Levers!” Link said.
 
“Eww… they look uglier than the Hairballs Artiumus coughs up.” Venus said as she held her hand to her neck.
 
“Awe, don't let them get you.” Navi said. “Just let them go right past you.”
 
So they avoided the little monsters, and continued to follow the flags right on up to the top of a small hill where a single tombstone lay in the sand.
 
“Please tell me this has always been here, and was not just recently made.” cried Venus, but Link told her it was just as he thought.
 
This was indeed the third, and final trial… “The Phantom Guide.” Link inspected the writing on the tombstone and it read:
 
“One who possesses the eyes that can see the truth shall be guided to the Spirit Temple by a ghost.”
 
“Right… activate Truth-Vision.” Link said.
 
They both tapped their heads to activate the Lens of Truth, and there indeed was a Poe floating over the tombstone.
 
He motioned with his hand for them to follow him as he slowly started to move, and he said…
 
“I shall guide you along the way.”
 
“But coming back, I will not play.”
 
“I will show you the way to go.”
 
“Follow me quickly, and do not be slow.”
 
Link and Venus began to follow him, keeping in mind to keep a close eye on him as he lead them through the desert.
 
“Do you really think this guy's telling the truth?” Venus asked.
 
“I think we can trust him.” answered Link.
 
“Yeah… but for how long?” added Navi.
 
Nevertheless, they continued along their path, hoping the Spirit Temple was not very far.
 
Meanwhile, in Tokyo
 
The Girls and Darien were having a pizza dinner at Rei's place. Sadly, as hungry as they all were, nobody really seemed to want to eat.
 
“Oh, honestly girls, everything's going to be alight.” Luna said.
 
“Luna, you've got to cut us a break.” said Darien. “We're all pretty worried about Mina, Master, and Navi.”
 
“Yeah… I mean, they're out there all alone in the desert.” added Serena. “They've got no food… no supplies… hardly any water.”
 
“Not to mention those two witches are still out there.” said Rei.
 
Amy however wasn't as worried. “If there's one thing Master's taught us, it's that he knows how to survive in the outside world.”
 
“Yeah, and besides. Those Witches aren't so tough anyway.” Added Lita. “Why I could tear them apart in just five seconds.”
 
As confident as she and the others were that they could win, they still had to keep in mind that these witches were Ganondorf's surrogated mothers. Although they said to be not quite up to his level, they were still noted to be dangerous and tricky.
 
Suddenly, while browsing through the internet, Amy was looking at the Tokyo news, when a breaking story just came in. “Three jewelry stores, and five banks were robbed today?”
 
“Five robberies?” said Artimus. “That's impossible.”
 
Amy switched the screen to her map of the city, and charted the locations of the robberies, and they all seemed to form a circle just a few blocks away in town.
 
“There's another bank… over here in the center.” She said. “It could be the next target. We should go and investigate.”
 
“We let's get going then.” said Luna, and they all were out the door so fast, that Rei's Grandpa just continued to hoe his garden. “Those girls are so energetic these days. You'd think the world was under attack.”
 
Meanwhile, back in the desert
 
The Poe kept guiding Link's team, until he finally vanished, and when Link and Venus stepped forward… the sand cloud had lifted. “Hey, I think we made it.” said Venus.
 
Then they all looked up ahead of them, and they saw a giant Rock formation in the shape of giant statue. Three doorways; one in each of its hands… and one larger one atop a small stairway.
 
“Holy Smoke.” Link cried. “We found it girls! We've found it!”
 
After all that time, and all the many hardships endured… the very last of the Five Temples lay ahead of them; The Spirit Temple.
 
However, the sun had almost set completely, and the temperature was beginning to drop, So Link and Venus changed back to their regular clothing, and were able to light a fire, and set up a quiet little camp to sped the night.
 
After all, they were going to need their energy for all the dangers coming their way in the morning.
HERO AND SAILORS SAY
 
Link: “Hope, Courage, and Strength… some of the best things you can count on to help you when all seems hopeless.”
 
Venus: “If no one had, or believed in any of that stuff, we wouldn't have gotten all the great accomplishments we have today.”
 
Serena: “We'd have no Moon walking… no new inventions. Not even any new snack foods to taste test… Yum!”
 
Amy: “Even our pioneer ancestors would never had made it, and they went through hardships that you can hardly picture.”
 
Rei: “Hardships like bad weather, and no telling what tomorrow would bring, and only simple things like fire for heat, and roots and berries to sustain them.”
 
Lita: “Just remember… even when things seem hopeless, you've got to try and keep on going. That's what makes you a true person of honor.”
 
(Song, as Link and Mina set up their camp, and the others are still heading into town)
 
(Link)
 
I found out a long time ago
You gotta learn to say "yes" when life says "no"
Don't dwell on the bad times once they're past
That kind of thinking gets you nowhere fast
 
'Cause there ain't no mountain you can't climb
If you hang on tight and just make up your mind
Once you set your heart to movin' on
Son, there ain't no road too long
 
(In Tokyo… the others are still running)
 
(Darien)
 
Don't look back; don't you turn around!
 
(Serena)
 
Just keep your eye on where you're bound!
 
(Amy, Rei, and Lita)
 
And you're bound to get from here to there
'Cause a dream can take you anywhere!
 
(Luna)
 
'Cause there ain't no mountain you can't climb
If you hang on tight and just make up your mind

(Artimus)
 
And once you set your heart to moving on, hut, hut
T
hen there is no road too long!
 
(Pause for Choir)
 
(Mina)
 
'Cause there ain't no mountain you can't climb
If you hang on tight and just make up your mind!
 
(Navi)
 
And once you set your heart to movin' on
Yeah, there ain't no road too long

(Link. Girls in the brackets)

Ain't no mountain you can't climb! (That's right!)
If you hang on tight and just make up your mind! (Uh-huh)
Once you set your heart to movin' on! (Sing it!)
There ain't no road too long!
 
(Mina)
 
No, there ain't no road too long!
(Navi)
 
There ain't no road too long!
 
(Link)
 
No, there ain't no road too long!