Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Set Up ❯ Playing The Part ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer : I don't own the characters.

Summary : Minako and the other senshi think of a perfect way to pair Usagi with Rei. But first comes first. Chiba Mamoru? How far will they go to get him to break up with his beloved princess? What exactly is their plan?

Warning: Includes Mamoru bashing and swearing.

Pairings: ReiUsagi, MakotoAmi, MinakoSetsuna, HarukaMichiru

The Set Up
Chapter One
- Playing the Part -

Usagi smiled happily as Mamoru handed her a ice cream cone. She really didn't feel happy at all but she couldn't say she was unhappy either. It was more in between. No, she had no idea how she was feeling right now. It was as if she was considering what option would be the best to pick. Honest or keep lying? Happy or unhappy? Smiling or crying?

A sigh escaped her lips. After finding out she was destined to be with Mamoru she had, had her doubts but eventually they had disappeared. Now it seemed like they had returned. She had no idea why though. Mamoru was everything she wanted. Everything she needed. A real prince. She had everything normal girls could only dream of. A certainty when it came to the future, a man who loved her, she knew she would get a wonderful daughter. She had the best friends she could ever wish for and yet, yet she didn't feel glad about it.

''Are you alright?'' The black haired man asked, placing a hand on his lover's shoulder. ''You seem worried.'' He obviously had noticed her sigh. ''You were acting strange earlier this day. Is something bothering you.''

Usagi looked up, slightly confused. Was she that easy to read. ''No, I'm fine. Just a bit tired I guess. I haven't slept much to be honest.'' She lied. She couldn't possibly tell him how she was feeling. It might break his heart and that was the last thing she wanted to do. Certainly not when she wasn't sure about anything herself either. ''I think I'd better see if the girls are still having a meeting. I promised to come.''

Mamoru nodded slightly, removing his hand. ''If you say so Usako.'' A small smile appeared on his lips as he spoke. ''But I'm sure they're done already. They started chatting about two hours ago.''

''I know.'' Usagi looked down at her hands in which she held the ice cream cone. She didn't feel hungry anymore. ''You're probably right. Rei is sick anyway. They won't have much to talk about. If she had been there all they would do was gossip about me.''

''Usako,'' The black haired man paused for a moment. He was concerned about his girlfriend's behaviour. She started to sound so depressed. It hadn't been the first time she had brought something like that up. Sometimes it looked like Usagi feared everyone would end up betraying her or something. Maybe even eventually leave her.

The small blonde looked up again. ''Sorry. Maybe it's best if I just go home. I'm not feeling well. I think I just need some sleep and...''

Mamoru cut her off. ''Of course. I understand.'' This was far from the truth. He had no idea what was bothering his beloved princess and he hated it when he was left out. It made him feel helpless and unwanted. He wasn't going to show that though. He couldn't afford upsetting Usagi any more than she already was. With that he just put his arm around her as they both started to walk towards his car again.

''Are you mad at me?'' Usagi wondered, somehow feeling the certain tension between her and the tall man.

''No.'' Mamoru denied. ''Of course I'm not. It's not your fault that you're tired.''

Usagi smiled sadly, avoiding his gaze. He was definately mad at her. Or at least upset. She could tell by the way he was looking at her and talking to her. ''I'm sorry,'' She whispered. ''I know we hardly spend any time together. Now we finally can go out and I ruin anything.'' You could tell by the look on her face she was about to break down into tears.

Feeling guilty about it he pulled his arm back and stopped walking just to face her. ''Look at me,'' He commanded. Usagi could do nothing but obey as she looked into his eyes. ''I'm not angry and you didn't ruin anything.'' He said, placing a small kiss on her forehead. ''We can always go out some other time. When you're feeling better. Ok?''

''Ok.'' Usagi nodded although she had the feeling there might not be another time. As the thought entered her mind she quickly shook her head. Why was she thinking things like that? It wasn't right. Of course she would go out with Mamoru again. They would go out at least a million times more. That was how it was suppossed to be and how she wanted it. Or wasn't it? Was it just suppossed to be and nothing more?

''Mamo-chan?'' Usagi blushed. ''Would you mind dropping me off at Rei's place. I want to see how she's doing.''

''You need to go to bed.'' Mamoru tried but it seemed his girlfriend's mind was set.

''I want to see her. I haven't seen her for five days now. I promise I'll call a cab and go home right after I visited her.''

''Alright,'' The black haired man gave in. ''I'll drop you off and wait in the car. I'll personally take you home.''

Usagi smiled although she wasn't really feeling like smiling at all. She had intented to stay longer at Rei's place than she claimed. She didn't know why but somehow she had the urge to tell the raven haired senshi or fire all about her problems. Even though they fought a lot she still felt comfortable with telling Rei everything. In the end Rei always managed to cheer her up. ''Ok.'' She repeated.

-----

Haruka lay down on the couch, staring at the ceiling with an annoyed look on her face. Everyone had already gone home except for Minako who had decided to stay a little bit longer just to make sure Haruka wouldn't back out on the idea. ''Why?'' Haruka finally asked after a long pause.

''Because,'' Minako sighed. ''We all know Mamoru has a weak for...'' She was interrupted by Michiru who placed a cup of tea on the table. ''Because he has a weak for pretty girls. And it's obvious that ever since he laid eyes on...''

''Don't push it.'' Michiru warned. ''This isn't helping.''

''Michiru.'' Minako finished as she watched Haruka close her eyes and clench her fists. ''Listen Haruka, I know you're against the idea of making everyone believe that Mamoru and Michiru are having an affair but it's the only possible way. First I thought of hiring someone but that costs a lot of money. And most people would decline doing such a thing anyway.''

Haruka immediately opened her eyes and sat up. ''I have money. Besides, the inner senshi aren't going to do it because they would never betray Usagi. What about Michiru? Do you think she would ever do such a thing?''

''N-no,'' The smaller blonde stammered. ''It's just that Michiru isn't as close to the princess as we are.''

''Minako,'' Michiru warned, noticing how her lover was slowly getting more irritated with Minako by the second.

''It's better to hire someone. Or ask someone Usagi doesn't know. Besides, I have a reputation, remember? I am a freaking racer. I have journalists following me and my girlfriend. If they spot Michiru being close to Mamoru it'll be all over the newspapers. I don't want Michiru to look like...''

''She's right.'' Michiru interrupted Haruka. ''We need another plan. It was a good idea to use me considering you wouldn't need the whole 'nice to meet you' and all that formal stuff. But I do think that we'll be hurting Usagi by continuing with this plan. I know someone who could help us out.''

''Do you?'' Both Haruka and Minako asked in unison, both shocked for different reasons. Minako was shocked because she hadn't thought of Michiru are the type to hang around people who would actually help them do such a thing. Haruka was just shocked because she never knew much about Michiru's past. And this person surely had something to do with it.

Michiru nodded, amused by the two girls reaction. ''Her name is Hitomi Sato. She and I used to go to the same school before I moved in with Haruka. And despite the fact I usually only befriend with people more like myself she and I were close friends. She's more... Well, how do I say it?''

''The slut type?'' Haruka asked, a hint of jealousy in her voice.

The aqua haired girl giggled. ''I guess you could say that. I'd say something more like ; the type of girl who enjoys her life the fullest.''

''And she's straight right?'' Haruka asked, wondering if this Hitomi girl ever tried anything funny with Michiru.

''Bisexual.'' The aqua haired senshi replied. Minako couldn't help it but laugh upon seeing the look on Haruka's face. It was as if she had seen a ghost or something like that. ''And in case you were wondering. We were just friends.''

''I hope so,'' Haruka sighed. ''I like the idea of being your first.''

''Who ever said you were?'' Michiru asked jokingly. This caused Minako to laugh ever harder. She loved being in the middle of Haruka's and Michiru's constant flirting and jealousy attempts. It was as if she was watching some comedy.

The tomboy rolled her eyes. ''Very funny. Anyway, how do you plan on contacting her? I mean, you're not still friends with her are you. Well, at least not in contact?''

Minako couldn't help it but adore Haruka's jealous side. With that she got up from the ground and jumped on top of Haruka who of course well backwards again. ''You're so cute, Haruka.''

Michiru just watched the scene closely. At first she felt a bit upset over the fact Minako was sitting on top of her girlfriend but when she noticed that the smaller blonde was already done cuddling and was about the crawl off of Haruka she smiled slightly, closing her eyes for a few seconds. ''In fact I do have her phone number. I met her a few weeks ago at the mall and we ended up talking.''

''If that's all you did. Why didn't I know about that?'' The first part was nothing but a whisper but both Michiru and Minako had clearly heard it.

''You didn't ask. Besides I do have a few secrets.'' Michiru shook her head when Haruka went wide eyed. ''I can give her a call. If we all agree. Or else,'' She paused for a moment, placing her hands on her hips while sending Haruka an innocent look. ''Or else I'll have to pose as Mamoru's mistress.''

''Alright. Point taken.'' The tomboy sighed, ignoring the amused look on Minako's face. ''Call the damned slut.'' Haruka didn't even know Hitomi but she already couldn't stand the girl.

----

Rei coughed before turning around in her bed. She hated being sick like this, being unable to do anything. All she could do now was lay in bed and listen as her grandpa sang stupid 'get well soon' songs and brought her food that either was frozen or too hot. Next to that Yuuchiro paid her a visit now and again as well but nothing much happened. All he did was stammer, blush and say stupid things that didn't make any sense.

At first she had liked Yuuchiro because he was very devoted to her and cared a lot but she now realized it hadn't been more than just a silly crush. He was far from her type. She needed someone strong, honest but not to mention sweet. Immediately she thought of her princess but as soon as the thought had entered her mind it disappeared. It was impossible to love Usagi like that. They were friends, partners and Usagi was her princess. Not to mention the fact Usagi already had Mamoru. It was a hopeless case.

'Wait, what am I thinking? We're both women. Mamoru isn't standing in the way of nothing!' She thought to herself, quickly blaming the flu for her delusional thoughts.

She closed her eyes for a moment as a shiver crawled up her spine. Although it felt like she was lying in a hot oven she still couldn't help it but feel cold at the same time. Her throat was dry and her stomach was aching more than before. She had been sick for five days now and yet she hadn't approved anything when it came down to her health. Maybe it was more than just the regular flu.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. ''May I come in for a sec?''

Rei didn't reply. Because the voice sounded almost hesitant and shy she just figured it was Yuuchiro. Slowly she watched how the door opened. ''Are you awake, Rei?'' The voice now asked. The raven haired girl immediately recognized the voice as Usagi's.

She opened her eyes again. ''I am.''

Usagi smiled a bit before closing the door behind her. ''I hope I didn't wake you up.''

''You didn't.'' The senshi of fire replied before caughing again. ''So, what brings you here?''

''Mamoru.'' Usagi replied, blinking. Why would Rei ask that?

The raven haired girl laughed a bit. Well it was rather a mix between a laugh and a cough. ''That's not what I meant. Let me translate that difficult question; why are you here?''

Usagi sighed, leaning against the door. ''I wanted to see how you were doing.''

It didn't take a genius to know that something was bothering the blonde. ''I'm fine. If you consider my situation. My stomach is aching but I'll live. I'm strong, after all.''

''No doubt.'' Usagi replied, pushing herself away from the door. She now started to take slow and hesitant steps towards the Raven haired girl's bed. ''Mamoru is waing for me in the car. I can't stay long but,'' She paused. ''I'm glad you're ok. If you need anything...''

''Don't come too close.'' Rei warned the blonde. ''You might catch whatever it is I have. I can't afford getting my princess sick, can I?''

''Rei, is it ok if I call you tonight?'' Usagi asked, ignoring the other's words. She hated being reffered as a princess instead of a friend. ''I have something I need to talk about. And since you're the only one I know I can trust..''

''Of course.'' Rei said, cutting the blonde off. ''Are you alright?'' She started to worry about Usagi. The girl was acting out of character. She wasn't as cheerful as she always was nor were her eyes shining as usual.

''I'll live.'' Usagi stated, repeating Rei's earlier words. ''I'll call you tonight then. Get well soon!'' She suddenly cheered before turning around and rushing out of the room. Leaving a very surprised and concerned Rei behind.

To Be Continued












< br>













< br>