Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Set Up ❯ Jealousy ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer : I don't own the characters.

Summary : Minako and the other senshi think of a perfect way to pair Usagi with Rei. But first comes first. Chiba Mamoru? How far will they go to get him to break up with his beloved princess? What exactly is their plan?

Warning: Includes Mamoru bashing and swearing.

Pairings: ReiUsagi, MakotoAmi, MinakoSetsuna, HarukaMichiru

The Set Up
Chapter two
- Jealousy -

The next day the inner senshi and outer senshi had gathered together once more. Except for Rei and Usagi of course. For some unknown reason Usagi had called them and told them she was spending the rest of the day in bed. Makoto, who had picked up the phone, decided not to ask about it since she and the other remaining senshi still had to work a bit more on their plan. ''Usagi isn't coming,'' The brunette told the rest. ''She said she wasn't feeling right so she's staying in bed today.''

''Maybe she caught whatever Rei has as well.'' Ami stated. ''I spoke Mamoru last night when I walked in to him on my way home from my extra classes in town. He told me she went to visit Rei earlier.''

Haruka just leaned back against the chair and scanned the room. Today they had decided to get together at Minako's appartment for some strange reason. She hadn't been really detailed with her excuse. It didn't matter either, all Haruka could think of was the conversation she had with Minako and Michiru the previous day. Why hadn't she known anything about that Hitomi character? She had obviously played a big part in her lover's life.

''Anyway,'' Michiru paused for a moment, waiting for everyone to turn their attention to her. ''I called Hitomi yesterday and she was really thrilled to help us out. So it's settled. She'll arrive in Tokyo tomorrow. Me and Haruka are picking her up and after that our plan can officially start.''

''Great!'' Minako cheered, jumping up and down. ''So we all agree on this, right? Rei and Usagi.''

Everyone nodded except for Ami. She had decided to stay neutral in this set up. The last thing she wanted was to get involved in anything that could hurt Usagi. ''So now that's settled!'' Minako chirped before sitting down on the couch again. ''Off subject but who do you think would win in a fighting competition? Sailor Moon or Venus?''

Everyone sweatdropped. ''Why would you ask that?'' Makoto wondered out loud although she was already picturing the two blondes in a match.

''Motoki and I were talking the other day and it came up. I said Venus would easily beat Moon but he kept saying Sailor Moon would win since she's the leader and all that.''

''I have to go with Motoki.'' Haruka admitted. ''She's the princess after all and her powers are much stronger than ours. She even beat me and Michiru in a battle. I don't think you would be able to do the same.''

''She just got lucky,'' Minako mocked. ''I dare you to fight me. You and Michiru. Bring it on and I'll prove to you...''

''You'll lose.'' The green haired senshi of time and revolution said, cutting Minako off. ''Sailor Moon wins.''

Minako sighed. ''Great. So much for counting on your friends. You could've at least lied since Usagi isn't here in the first place.'' Everyone blinked a couple of times before breaking down into fits of laughter. Minako had really been counting on their support. This was probably the reason she hadn't asked before since Usagi had been with them.

''Ah, poor little girl.'' Michiru mused. ''In that case I think Minako or Sailor Venus has a good chance in winning.''

Haruka rolled her eyes. ''Anyway, what about Uranus against Jupiter? Who would win.''

''You.'' Makoto laughed. ''We already saw that. It's a fact now.''

''Maybe. Maybe not.'' Haruka shrugged. ''You were pretty strong.''

Michiru giggled. ''Yeah, do you remember that wound on Haruka's hand?'' Makoto just nodded. ''That wasn't because of that youma but you. You inflicted that to our poor senshi of the wind.''

''Hurt my pride ever since.'' The tomboy joked before looking at Ami. ''And what about Neptune versus Mercury?''

''Mercury.''

''Neptune.''

Both Ami and Michiru said at the same time. When they noticed how childish that had sounded both started to laugh slightly. Before anyone could even say a thing Minako had interrupted them once more. ''What about Mamoru against Rei? I mean sailor Mars against Tuxedo Kamen?''

''Tough one.'' Setsuna said as Hotaru crawled on her lap. She hugged the child before staring back at Minako again with a thoughtful look on her face. ''I'd say Mars. After all, all he does is throw roses. She could burn those without any problem.''

''But when it comes down to fighting skills..'' Minako went on.

''I'd still say Mars.'' Haruka went on instead of Setsuna. ''I've never seen Mamoru actually fight or anything. And if he did fight he always ended up being stabbed and almost death. Now I've seen Mars on combat so she gets my vote.''

''Mine too.'' Setsuna and Michiru both said in unison.

Minako smiled happily before closing her eyes as if she suddenly had come up with the greatest plan ever. ''Maybe we should try to find out some time. We can get Rei and Mamoru to fight each other.''

''Why would they even do that, they don't hate each other. Actually they get on well.'' Ami said, raising an eyebrow. Was this conversation going anywhere in the first place? It wasn't like Mamoru or Rei would ever end up fighting just to prove a point.

''They will if there's a prize.'' Minako explained, earning questioning looks from all the other senshi.

Hotaru who had been quiet suddenly jumped up from her mother's lap. ''Oh, oh I understand!'' All eyes now fell on the small, jumping child. ''Usagi is the prize.''

Minako nodded and pointed at the girl as if she had just won the lottery. ''Ka-chang! You got it!''

Ami shook her head. ''Minako, it's Ka-ching. Plus you're not making any sense at all. Usagi is a person not a prize. And it isn't like Usagi has given us any hint of wanting to be with anyone besides Mamoru.''

''I meant, Usagi's love is the prize.'' The goddess of love corrected her. ''And she hasn't given us any hints indeed but if our whole 'mission possible' might go wrong for some strange and unknown reason we could always have Rei and Mamoru fight. Don't you all agree.''

''I think we should go for the fight thing right away.'' Haruka said, glaring at Michiru. ''It's much quicker than that mission impossible idea from Minako. Plus you won't have to bother that Sato girl.''

Makoto, Ami, Setsuna and Hotaru turned their heads to look at Haruka in amusement. ''I smell jealousy.'' Setsuna stated as a matter-of-factly.

''S-shut up.'' Haruka hissed, blushing slightly. Upon seeing this the other girls couldn't help it but laugh. They had seen Haruka jealous before but this was the first time they had caught Haruka blushing. It was, needless to say, cute.

----

Usagi lay on her bed with Luna lying on her stomach. The black cat was sleeping already but Usagi was still wide awake. All she did was stare at the ceiling though, wondering what was happening to her. Last night she had indeed called Rei but their conversation had been rather disturbing. Usually she found it easy to talk to the raven haired girl but it had somehow been painful and uncomfortable.

She wasn't sure about what had exactly happened either. All she could remember was her shaking hands as she dailed Rei's number. At first she had figured she was getting sick herself but she soon found out that she had been shaking for another reason. She was actually nervous about calling her friend. That couldn't be right. Never before had she felt like this.

Well, that was a lie. When she and Mamoru first started dating she had always had the same nervous feeling wash over her. But eventually that had disappeared. Why would it hit her now? It was just Rei, nothing to be scared about, right?

Finally she closed her eyes as she tried her best to remember her phone call to Rei. It wasn't like she had completely forgotten about it or something. It was more like she was trying to deny the obvious.

Flashback

Usagi took a deep breath as she dailed Rei's number. It was now for the first time that she noticed that her hands were shaking. Maybe she had caught the same thing as Rei had. It wouldn't be a surprise after all. She had been in the same room as the senshi of fire. When she was done dailing she put the phone to her ear and nervously waited for the other to pick up.

Would Rei be asleep already? Would she get an answer in the first place? And more important, why was she calling Rei in the first place. Ever since she had left the temple she had been wondering about that. She had no idea what she could possibly discuss with Rei.

''Rei speaking.'' Finally came the answer.

Usagi swallowed hard, now noticing the lump that had formed in her throat. ''H-hi, it's me. Usagi.'' The blonde replied. She was glad about the fact she wasn't facing Rei right now.

''Ah hey Usagi!'' Rei's voice light up. Suddenly she didn't sound sick at all anymore.

''How are you feeling?'' The blonde managed to ask as her mind started yelling all kinds of confusing things.

There was a slight pause before Rei finally answered her question. ''I'm actually feeling a bit better. I think the flu is finally subsiding. Or at least, my stomach doesn't hurt anymore and the fever is gone as well.''

''I'm glad to hear that.'' Usagi whispered.

For a couple of minutes it stayed quiet, neither of them said a thing. Rei was the one to break the silence. ''So, what's wrong Usagi?''

''Wrong...'' Usagi echoed. Was there something wrong? There was, but what?

''You are acting unlike your normal self. Almost too quiet Usagi. And I noticed it when you stopped by earlier. Something is bothering you. You know that whatever it is you can tell me.'' Rei said with a sweet tone in her voice that Usagi hadn't heard before. Maybe it was just because they were talking through the phone.

''I'm... I don't know.'' At first Usagi wanted to deny everything but for some reason she decided to be honest. ''I really don't know Rei. I'm so confused.''

Rei could hear that her friend was on the verge of crying. ''Usagi, calm down.'' She said upon hearing Usagi's rapid breathing. ''You don't have to tell me right now. If you want I can come over.''

Usagi smiled sadly. That was the kind of friend the raven haired girl was, always considering her first. ''You can't. You're sick Rei. Ami told us that the docter said you had to stay in bed for at least a week.''

''I've been lying here for five days now. I'm sick of being sick. I just need some fresh air and I'll be alright. Like I said, I'm feeling much better anyway.''

''I know. I know.'' Usagi whispered. ''I don't think it's a good idea though. Maybe tomorrow. If you still feel better that is.''

Rei shook her head but when she remembered she was on the phone she went on talking. ''No. I'll be there within the hour.''

''Please don't,'' Usagi begged.

The raven haired senshi couldn't help it but be shocked upon hearing the pained tone in her princess' voice. ''Alright. Tomorrow.'' She gave in. She knew pressing the matter wouldn't help right now. But what was it Usagi was so confused about? Had something happened between her and Mamoru?

''Thanks.'' Usagi said in an almost inaudible whisper. And then without saying anything else she hung up.

End Flashback

''Oh luna,'' Usagi sighed, looking down at the sleeping cat. ''Why am I this confused? I thought I was certain about everything but lately....'' She simply sighed. She hadn't heard from Rei since yesterday. She wasn't surprised though. She had been pretty rude, hanging up like that. The raven haired girl hadn't even bothered to call her back. There was no way the senshi of fire would even bother to show up today. Promise or no promise.

''Rei,'' Usagi whispered. Her eyes were now closed again and just when she was about to lose herself in sleep she heard the front door close. In shock she opened her eyes again and sat up, accidentally knocking Luna off of her.

The cat landed on the ground with a loud smack. ''Ouch!''

''I'm terribly sorry Luna!'' Usagi apologized, getting out of bed to help the cat onto the bed again. ''I thought I heard something and...'' She couldn't finish her sentence because before she could the door to her room flew open, revealing a tall raven haired woman. ''R-rei...''

To Be Continued...