Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Umi no Hime ❯ Part I - A Glimpse of Forever ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"You know what fate is? Fate is building a bridge between you and the one you love."
-Old man, My Sassy Girl
 
Monday. Early morning.
 
Today's the first day of school. I know that there wouldn't be any class today or any academic stuff happening whatsoever, but it seemed like an unknown force has dragged me at the busy and smoke-filled street of Padre Faura.
 
I don't what it was, maybe it was destiny, or maybe it was fate. Maybe she wanted me to meet the person that would change my life forever.
 
I went inside my college and walked briskly towards our tambayan. I pushed past people, freshmen to be exact, who were all giddy and excited at their first day in U.P. It was quite hard to make your way through the thick crowd, and to recognize someone familiar was like finding a needle in a haystack.
 
There were too many different faces, but each wearing the same expression. All happy, eager, and curious at what would be their role in our beloved university. But there was one face, one person in particular, that caught my attention.
 
She…has a face that words would not be able to describe. Her blue eyes, her perfectly-curved nose, her thin lips (I wonder if that kind of red was only lipstick), her ears with star-shaped earrings, and her hair, which was a unique shade of aquamarine. Is it real? Or do my eyes deceive me? It isn't possible for a human being to be this…this…beautiful, is it? To be so angelic, right?
 
But she was talking to another mortal, a weird looking blonde girl with meatball buns in her head. They were sitting on the front steps of one of the buildings. So does this mean that it's not just a mere hallucination?
 
She smiled at her. And my heart stopped beating. She was the perfect epitome of beauty. How I wish I was at the receiving end instead of being only just an observer.
 
I could not move. Her smile had an effect on me like Medusa's would and her other sisters. It was like I turned into a stone, I couldn't breathe. I was transfixed.
 
My mirage was suddenly disturbed when a hand ruthlessly pulled me back into reality. Someone shoved me forward by the shoulders. I was about to do severe head injuries to that fool, when I realized that the culprit was none other than my friend, Rei, who was smiling innocently like she haven't done anything wrong.
 
“What the hell is the matter with you, Raven?” I called her by her codename, which meant that I was not in the mood for pleasantries.
 
She replied, “Geez. Seems like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, Zephyr.”
 
I know it's against the rule of our group to use our aliases on public, but I was just ticked off at the moment. Using our pseudonyms meant that the speaker was serious about what she's thinking, or saying. And I had to let Rei know that now is not the time for her sarcastic jokes.
 
“Caught a nice prospect yet?” She asked in particular.
 
“No. Not yet.” I lied. But I knew that my friend is some kind of a psychic chick, so it was not wonder that she immediately called my bluff.
 
“Oh really?” Rei asked in her most cynical tone.
 
“No…well, yes.” I paused, searching for my Medusa. “There,” I nodded my head towards the other side of the parking lot.
 
“Typical of you, dear friend. Common, what're you waiting for! Talk to her!” She squealed like a little girl who just found a cute kitten on the street.
 
“Nope. Uh-uh.” I crossed my arms defiantly.
 
Rei whined in a child-like voice, “But why Haru-chan?” She knew I absolutely abhor that pet name. “She's pretty, despite the weird hair color and all,” she pointed towards her.
 
“Rei, don't you know that it's rude to point at other people like that?” a commanding tone came from behind us. Oh no. That…voice…that tone that would only mean one thing, she's angry.
 
I turned around to face the last member of our triad, the campus geek, erm, I mean, genius! The pride of our school, blue-haired bookworm Ami Mizuno.
 
“Sorry,” Rei muttered under her breath. “But I was trying to get Haruka to talk to that girl, instead of ogling at her from afar.”
 
“I was not-” I tried to say in defense, but Ami cut me off.
 
“Who? The blonde, the blue-green, or the brunette? You know, they all seem kinda cute, especially the one wearing the green blouse.”
 
I was shocked beyond relief. If my life is an anime, my jaw right now would be lying cold against the ground and a huge sweat drop would form on the side of my head.
 
Ami, the resident gifted child of U.P., one who rarely talks about love life, who watches discovery channel instead of local dramas on television, who has never been involved with anyone, who never had a crush (that I was aware of)…saying something that resembles a declaration of admiration…is just plainly…unbelievable.
 
“Um, Haruka, are you alright?” She wondered with concern. I must've the weirdest and creepiest expression on my face. But I was clearly dumbfounded.
 
I scratched the back of my head in a sheepish manner, “Yeah, I'm okay…”
 
“So what are you waiting for, kaze no ouji, that hime's waiting for you,” Rei teased.
 
Yeah right. As if I'm really gonna approach and make a fool out of myself. I would rather stay by the sidelines, to admire her from afar. And besides, I would just appear to be cocky once again, as what majority of the school population think I am.
 
“Bock bock bock. Oh lookie, Ami, why can't the chicken cross the street?” My raven-haired friend mocked me behind my back. Ami just rolled her eyes.
 
I don't know honestly know what's wrong with me, but everytime I see a girl that I really, really like, I get all tongue-tied and stuttered like an incoherent fool whenever I talk to them. It's not the same with other girls though, like for example, when I flirted with a classmate, or an acquaintance. Flirting for me is natural and easy, like eating cake, or breathing, or running (which I'm good at, by the way).
 
I felt someone give me an encouraging push from behind. But as I was taking a step towards the aquamarine goddess, a massive throng of students flooded my route. I was lost in the commotion, and before I could take another look at her…she was gone.
 
 
Author's Notes:
I'm a filipino, and a bit narcissistic, so this fic takes place in the Philippines. :)
If you're kind enough to leave a review, then please do so. Reviews help writers improve their way of writing.
Peace out. ^_^V
 
References:
U.P. is where the main characters are enrolled at. It's an acronym for `University of the Philippines'.
Padre Faura is the street where U.P. is located.
'Tambayan' is the filipino term for specific places where school organizations could hang out inside their university. Like in this case, the 'tambayan' of Haruka's org can be found on the RH building front facade.
My Sassy Girl is a Korean film starring Jun (Jeon) Ji-Hyun and Cha Tae-Hyun.
`Kaze no ouji' stands for `prince of wind', while `hime' means princess.
Zephyr is synonymous to `wind'.
 
Disclaimer:
Haruka, Michiru, and the rest of the BSSM gang belong to Naoko Takeuchi. I'm just borrowing them for a little while.
While the Philippine government owns U.P.
And Kwak Jae-Young is the man behind “My Sassy Girl” (Movie).