Samurai Deeper Kyo Fan Fiction ❯ You and Me ❯ Mardi Gras ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You and Me
 
By Rin Amaru
 
Disclaimer: If I were making money on this, I would be selling it in Borders, not showing it off for free on Fanfiction.net. Also, I do not own the Rob Thomas song, “This Is How a Heart Breaks”, featured in this chapter.
 
A/N: It's so hard to come up with creative disclaimers lol Anyway; I just wanted to say I'm very sorry to all the people who live in New Orleans and the surrounding area. I would have had this chapter up much sooner, but Katrina happened and I had planned this chapter to take place in New Orleans. Now, it is simply a tribute to them all… in addition to being chapter 6…
 
~*~
Chapter 6
 
Mardi Gras
 
~*~
 
What an awesome concert… I'm now in New Orleans and I'm still thinking about it. I'm lying in the hotel room, replaying the previous night's events over and over again in my mind. It was so perfect.
 
Yukimura played some cool songs from his second solo album. We played our usual set list, along with a new song we had been working on. Then Yukimura came back on stage and we performed some of our earlier songs (He took Akira's place on the piano. My little brother sat next to Yuya in the front row during this.). The people of Chicago we completely entranced by our awesome music…
 
…and my sexy body.
 
Tonight should be even cooler; Yukimura is still with us for this concert before he goes to Miami. What will make it even cooler is that tonight is the start of Mardi Gras; people dancing and drinking in the streets, our awesome music, plenty of sake… priceless.
 
Life couldn't get much better… But even more thoughts of going solo have been swimming through my mind. I definitely want to do it. My father did it. He broke up with the Mibu and went solo, topping the charts many more times than he did as a group. If I could be as good and talented as him, I could do it… And I'd want Yuya by my side. She is my woman, after all.
 
I would be playing on stage with those people who play the music you write for you but aren't in your band. She would be in the front row, cheering me on like she always does, like she always will do. When she's old enough, I'll marry her and have little clones of myself with her. Then all of them will sit in the front row and watch me; my beloved wife and my precious children. Life would be so perfect…
 
After hearing a knock on the door, I sat up on the bed. Yuya smiled when she came into the room and sat beside me on the bed. It reminded me, coincidentally, of the circumstances surrounding our first kiss. Life is weird like that; déjà vu.
 
I looked over at my woman, pushing the stray locks of golden hair (that refused to remain in her ponytail) behind her ears. She looked up at me, smiling sweetly.
 
“Great concert last night,” she said, averting her eyes. I wondered why she was still shy. She should have gotten used to me by now, I thought as I nodded in response.
 
“Hey, Dogface,” I said, grinning as her face contorted into anger, “What do you wanna be when you grow up?” At the question, her face softened a bit.
 
“I… I don't know. I can't really do much, considering I dropped out of school for this and I wouldn't have money to go to college anyway…” Yuya replied, a sad expression coming over her face, “I wish I had the money to go… But a sixteen-year-old can't make that kind of money…”
 
I patted her head and pulled her close. She wrapped an arm around my waist. After a moment, she spoke again, “What are you going to do? Stay with the band?”
 
I smirked. The conversation was leading where I wanted it to, “Nope. I'm planning on going solo. I want to be the best there ever was.” I sighed, staring out the window. I'll get there.
 
I felt Yuya giggle against my chest, “You already are!” Well, that was an unexpected compliment, but I'll accept it.
 
“I know. I'm incredibly awesome, but I can always get better,” I replied, caressing her arm with my thumb, “If… If I go solo, would you still be my manager/”
 
Even if she were my manager, I don't know how she feels about me. I know she cares about me, but… how much?
 
Yuya pulled away a bit and looked up at me, “Of course, I'll be your manager!” She smiled. I gave her a dream.
 
I smirked back at her, “Good.” I cupped her chin with my free hand and kissed her gently.
 
She kissed back. I fought back the smile and feelings of elation she evoked in me and kissed her again. Yuya and I began a series of open-mouth kisses. I was just about to let my tongue invade her mouth when her watch beeped. She pulled away.
 
“Oh,” she blushed, looking at her watch, “It's time to set up for tonight's shindig.” Yuya got up and headed for the door. I stood quickly and grabbed her arm, pulling her into an embrace. I kissed her again.
 
“Alright, let's go,” I said, intertwining our fingers and leading her out the door.
 
I knew Mardi Gras was a giant party, but I never thought it would be this huge. The streets are packed with people. The normal Mardi Gras crowd is there along with all the people who came to see our concert.
 
In short, it's an incredibly insane madhouse.
 
“Kyo,” Yukimura said, stumbling up towards me with the crowded stadium seats of the Superdome as his backdrop. He, like most other people here, was completely intoxicated; not that it was unusual. “This place…” he mumbled, making random, ambiguous gestures, “… is as big as your ego…”
 
I growled. Only he would dare to insult me…
 
“Sanada…” I hissed, grabbing his shirt collar. He giggled. “Sanada, you take that back…” I tried to punch his face but he grabbed my incoming fist. Jerk. He was able to defend himself even when he was barely thinking…
 
“Ah, ah, ah!” Yukimura scolded, sounding like that fat idiot's computer from Jurassic Park: `Ah, ah, ah! Say the magic word! Ah, ah, ah!' The jovial, blue-eyed man continued, “I… have a concert to do tonight. My face… must be perfect!”
 
I let go of his shirt and watched him stumble off. His face might be perfect, but how is he going to perform? Drunken piano players usually aren't very good… I'm not that worried though, Sanada can always function while inebriated. He's cool like that…
 
… but not as cool as me…
 
“Hey!” I heard a familiar female voice shout. I turned to see my woman walking towards me with Akira and Sasuke. So, the minors flock together…
 
Yuya gave me a hug, “I was looking all over for you!” Akira turned his head in Yukimura's direction.
 
“I can't believe he's this disgusting… Getting drunk before concerts?” Akira snarled, “Next thing we know, he'll be making out with the nurses while being treated for liver failure…”
 
Sasuke glared a hole in Akira's skull. The two were close friends, but, apparently, not when Yukimura was involved in an insult. “Hey! Don't you say that about Yukimura! Do you want to die?” Yuya gasped.
 
“Hmm…” Akira replied, smiling icily. The atmosphere seemed significantly colder. The Ice Prince put a hand to his chin, as if in thought, “Are you threatening me?” It seems I did teach my little brother to defend himself…
 
The two boys exchanged glares (or, in Akira's case, directing frigid atmosphere in Sasuke's direction) but immediately stopped when a firm, warm, hand appeared on each of their shoulders. Both of them turned towards the owner of the hands to find Yuya. God, she's like a friggin' mom…
 
“Hey! Would you two stop it?” Yuya said, giving hard, meaningful, but somehow loving, looks to each of them, “Not only do we have a concert in ten minutes, but you guys are friends! This argument shouldn't have happened. Now, I want you both to apologize…” She removed her hands and stood back, waiting.
 
Sasuke, looking guiltily over at his surrogate sister, caved in first. “Sorry, Akira…” he said quickly, refusing to look at my brother. He's a tough little cookie with a soft middle.
 
Akira remained silent. Yuya stared at her best friend, “Akira… Please say you're sorry.”
 
Akira smiled sweetly at her and sighed, “Well, since I obviously have no other alternative, I apologize.” Knowing that was indeed the best response anyone could ever hope to achieve from Akira, Yuya was satisfied. When I mentioned earlier that Yuya could control us, I wasn't kissing.
 
After giving Sasuke and Akira hugs, she ushered us to the stage. We had set up an hour before inside the Superdome. The stage itself was really cool. It was in center field and was round. There were no curtains or anything; it was simply a platform similar to those seen at the Super Bowls.
 
As I walked over to the stage, I met up with Yukimura. He was holding a cup of coffee and no longer seemed inebriated. I smirked. I knew he could stomach alcohol well.
 
I only drink sake because I don't ever want to be drunk on camera or on stage. Sake only produces a mild high, which is perfect to keep up my reputation.
 
Sanada sipped some coffee (I think it was Starbucks) before speaking, “I've decided to ask my family if we can adopt Yuya.” He smiled.
 
Initially, I felt incredibly jealous and angry. However, I really had no reason to. If Muramasa adopted her, she would never be able to be my woman. Now, I definitely don't want that. In addition, if Yuya has a family, it would be a lot easier to get married, considering she wouldn't be an orphan. The only downside is, when I do make her mine, Yukimura would be my… brother-in-law… Disgusting… I'll admit he's my friend, but I never wanted to be related to him.
 
Oh, well. It's all for the best.
 
I grunted a response to Yukimura. He chuckled, “I knew you'd understand!” He pushed me up the steps that led to the platform, “You're up first today!”
 
I ran a hand through my hair as I picked up my guitar from where I'd left it and adjusted the microphone. Kyoshiro and Benitora were noticeably sober. I assumed they would be drinking soon after the show… Akira and Sasuke were ready to start.
 
I noticed some movement in the corner of my eye and turned to see Yuya waving at us from the front row. We all waved (Smirked in my and Akira's case) back.
 
The announcer walked up to the center of the platform, “People of New Orleans! Tonight, on the first night of Mardi Gras, we would like to present you with two excellent bands. First up is Samurai Deeper!”
 
I grinned as the crowd went wild. As Sasuke started the bass part, the deep treble sounds amazingly overcame the audience's screams. Benitora came in on drums next, followed by Akira, who threw in some funky tones. I started the rhythm. Kyoshiro played subtle notes on his electric guitar, waiting for his solo.
 
I leaned closer to the microphone and sang just like I always did, perhaps even better:
 
Don't you wanna go for a ride
Just keep your hands inside
And make the most out of life
Now don't you take it for granted

Life is like a mean machine
It made a mess outta me
It left me caught in between
Like an angry dream I was stranded

And I'm steady but I'm starting to shake
And I don't know how much more I can take

This is it now
Everybody get down
This is all I can take
This is how a heart breaks
You take a hit now you feel it break down
Make you stay wide awake
This is how a heart breaks

Don't you wanna go for a ride
Down to the other side
Feels so good you could cry
Now won't you do what I told you
I remember when you used to be shy
Yeah, once we were so fine
You and I why you gotta make it so hard on me

And I'm sorry but it's not a mistake
And I'm running but you're getting away
 
Oh, this is it now
Everybody get down
This is all I can take
This is how a heart breaks
You take a hit now you feel it break down
Make you stay wide awake
This is how a heart breaks
This is how a heart breaks

You're not the best thing that I knew
Never was never cared too much
For all this hanging around
It's just the same thing all the time
Never get what I want
Never get too close to the end of the line
You're just the same thing that I knew back before the time
When I was only for you
 
Hell, this is it now
Everybody get down
This is all I can take
This is how a heart breaks
You take a hit now you feel it break down
Make you stay wide awake
This is how a heart breaks
Hell, this is it now
Everybody get down
This is all I can take
This is how a heart breaks
You take a hit now you feel it break down
Make you stay wide awake
This is how a heart breaks
 
This is how a heart breaks.
 
 
I gave the audience a sultry look, mostly directed at Yuya, while I let them cheer their little hearts out.
 
That's right. Give them to me, `cause I'm gonna be the best in the world.
 
Me and me alone. And Yuya will be right there with me.
 
A/N: I'm SO sorry I had to have the story in New Orleans. I planned out this chapter about a month ago obviously without previous knowledge of the city's (and the surrounding area's) current predicament. I encourage everyone to pray for the victims of Katrina. If you don't pray, please send good thoughts. Thanks for reading. R&R!