Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ Hurricane Yoh! ❯ Chapter 1: Introduction ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Introduction
Disclaimer: I don't own Shaman king, any characters, or even the background story, but I own the story I write here, of course.

Anna watched Yoh, the lazy bum. That was only his 350th lap, and it's already been 3 hours. How outrageous! This, she reminded herself, was exactly why she wanted him to do laps around the house instead of the city. Her ghosts were obviously won over by Yoh's charm; those reports were far too favourable. Here, from her seat on top of the spire she had Yoh build for her as his own Christmas present, she could see the startling magnitude of Yoh's legendary slacking ability. Idly, she considered reprimanding him through that “walkie-talky” device she had confiscated from Manta. No, she'd used up the batteries from continuous use yesterday and today. She'd need new ones, but how? Wait, is he slowing down even more? She picked up a brick. Oh, wait, the weight-seal-spells are just increasing again, of course he's slowing down. Now, how to get those batteries, and why is Yoh so slow? Well, one of the answers was easy enough.
(A/N: Wight seal-spells? Easy, they create a channel for furyoku, which can affect natural forces. Hence, the natural force of gravity is being increased around Yoh due to these seal's conduit nature.)
Anna reached for the brick again; she was running out of those, too.
Strange, were is Yoh? She glanced around, there! He... he was walking! Walking! To her credit, such an incredibly shocking occurrence as Yoh daring to so blatantly catch his breath-while in Anna's sight, no less-didn't cause her to pause more than a moment. Off the brick flew.
It was surprisingly tricky business, hurling a brick under such adverse weather conditions. The storm was at it's peak, after all: the wind speed fluxuated between high and ridiculous at seemingly irregular intervals. Also, the force of the rain has to be considered, and visibility is poor underneath the heavy storm clouds. Only one as in tune with nature as a shaman, or one as experienced with throwing objects at Yoh as Anna, could manage such an impressive feat.
The resounding thud of brick meeting Yoh was lost in the howl of the storm, but Anna was confident in her aim. She looked at Yoh's collapsed form, waiting for it to get back up, and head off in search of batteries.
He did get up, and he read the water-soaked note attached to the brick. And inevitably, he did go in search of batteries. Where? He had no idea. The stores would all be closed, and the streets were awash with water. In fact, their house would have been soaked and battered, if it weren't for his encasing bubble of furyoku, so the stores would either be shut down, or all together wrecked.
Now, if he could get to Manta's house, he could flare his furyoku, Manta would feel it, he's displayed that ability as well, lately, and Yoh could get the batteries! And if Manta didn't have the batteries… well... hmmm. If Manta didn't have the batteries… he would… think of something eventually.
The cold dread that had settled on Kyoyama Anna finally rose along with her fiancée. `Baka-Yoh, don't you know how much that worried me?' Yoh was looking around dazedly, he had propped himself against the wall and was reading her message. `Any longer Yoh, any longer and I would have run out there to help you. Out in the rain, would you really let your fiancée go into a hurricane without a shield? You would hate that, I know. And you'd have only yourself to blame, worrying your fiancée, who do you think you are! I swear if you worry-'
`No… not worry, Kyoyama Anna does not worry, I… I was just... I have a duty, that's all, a duty to… to keep you safe, I wasn't worried, am not! I am not worried! I have to believe this, this is my truth! If I become soft to Yoh, he'll see it immediately, and he'll get close to me, he'll… Kami, I want it.'
`No! I… the cold is deluding me, that train of thought is useless.' A lie, a blatant lie. She had conquered the cold, and understood it. It would never delude her; it was part of her itako training. Shamans could master and bend the wills of the elements, and an itako could master their own wills to outright ignore the elements. `This is nothing, he's just being lazy. There is nothing to worry about There are no reasons for that level of fatigue, he's just exaggerating, yet I thought he was out of that childish behaviour? Mentally, Anna tacked on a few more laps, squats, and double mediums for tomorrow's training. The only other explanations for his behaviour would be that the weight seals are malfunctioning. But that can't be right, Kino-sensei created them herself. Her skill is usually unrivalled, but when it comes to Yoh's training materials, her precision breeds the closest creations to perfection that I have ever seen. The seals cannot malfunction, and no outside force could have changed their settings, Yoh would have noticed, and complained. The last solution is that Yoh is hiding something from me, truly hiding something. That only happens in two cases: When what he's hiding would hurt me, or…. when he wants to surprise me, but what could hurt or surprise me that would drain Yoh of his stamina and furyoku?
Yoh finally trudged out of sight and Anna headed downstairs. Her day-time soaps were on. She passed by a mirror on her way to the living room downstairs, spying small teeth marks in her lipstick. It was a freakishly well guarded secret: Kyoyama Anna bit her bottom lip when she was worried about Yoh when there was no one around to see. `I shouldn't have worn this today, but Tamao has been complaining that her gift had gone unused, and today is…' she stopped still `I hid it, ever since that first question and… surprise, I hid it. He can't know what today is, not even a serious Yoh has any means to find out, I spread too many false dates, created too much chaos. No one knows, all traces of that information have been utterly erased, and there is no way.
(A/N: hah, after much deliberation I decided to throw my readers a bone. Anna's talking about her birthday. Apparently, she's afraid of giving Yoh some excuse to get her gifts for some reason. Perhaps she fears the consequential warm-fuzzy feeling?)

(AN: arg! that document editor ate my paragraph indentions! What the- I mean, that's just rude! Is nothing sacred? sob If anyone knows how to revive my indentions, i'd feel much better, really)(Also, my ?.! combinations are similarly eaten, and in need of revival)