Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ April 1st - The GIFT ❯ Painful Truth ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*************************************************

PART 07: PAINFUL TRUTH

*************************************************

{Sendoh's House - The Den}

"Now this is something you don't see everyday." He commented, flashing his sizzling smile to the three serious looking men.

"…"

[Tough crowd.] He thought. Taking note of their sullen faces, Sendoh couldn't help but think that he was about to get a bad news or something. But being the cheerful person that he was, he maintained his cheery disposition and calmly faced the only person in the room whose silence was not a thing of surprise. "It's always nice to see you, Rukawa. But…" He trailed, sneaking a glance to the other two occupants of the room before locking gaze once again to a pair of icy blue eyes that were speaking volumes. "What's with the sudden need for privacy?" He asked, leaning against the wall and waited for whatever Rukawa had to say to him.

The tensed interchange between the two blue-eyed brunettes had not gone unnoticed, but Hanagata chose to ignore it whilst Maki's only concern was his blue-eyed angel's whereabouts. Thus it was really not a surprise when the tanned player interjected, "Where's Kenji?"

Tearing his amused face away from the openly glaring Rukawa, Sendoh turned to Kainan's former ace and said, "Kenji? Oh, you mean Fujima! He's in the study room."

Finding his voice, Rukawa asked, "And Hanamichi?"

[Not so fast Rukawa.]Sendoh thought and then decided to have a little fun with the pale-faced beauty. "I'm surprised that it took you this long before coming to be with your redhead. Are you that confident that Hana won't be taken away from you? Not even by someone like me?" He goaded and watched in satisfaction as something akin to surprise and then fear flickered across the handsome face. But his amusement was short lived as he unexpectedly found himself sprawled on the floor with a bleeding lip after failing to avoid Rukawa's fist.

Barely suppressing the urge to vent his pent up anger to his long time rival he declared, "No one can take Hana away from me Sendoh." [Not even you.] As he eyed the player on the floor with fury in his sapphire eyes he then gritted, "Now where is he?"

Sendoh wiped the blood that was oozing from his lip as he stood up to his full length and glowered to the slightly shorter player before saying, "Such confident words Rukawa but, are you convincing me or yourself?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt Sendoh but could you just answer the question? We really need to find Kenji and Sakuragi." Hanagata cried.

Sendoh's lips twitched into a feeble attempt of a smile but still continued his glaring match with his icy nemesis. "I will Hanagata-san. But first, I just want to rock Rukawa's perfect little world a bit." He stated. Sporting a smirk, "No one can take Hana away from you? You think that highly of your relationship… KAEDE?" He spat.

Rukawa's eyes narrowed into slits and gritted, "What's your point Sendoh?"

Chortling, "My point?" Laughing out loud, "My point is, Mr. Rukawa, that as of this very moment, your beautiful redhead is spending time alone with none other than, Mr. Pretty Boy himself, Fujima." Sendoh gleefully imparted.

"WHAT?" Maki and Hanagata both exclaimed while Rukawa went rigid after hearing that remark. Jealousy shot through his system like a rocket but he stood his ground. His first priority was to locate his boyfriend and he could wait till later to pummel the stupidly grinning spikey haired player in front of him and Fujima, if he so ever touches his Hana.

Maki purposely walked past Rukawa to face the spikey haired player. "Take me there at once." He said. It was not a request but an order.

Taken aback, "What's the matter with you?" Sendoh asked, unconsciously backing away from the imposing tanned player.

"Maki is Fujima's boyfriend Sendoh, or ex-boyfriend, since Fujima had just broken up with him this morning and I have a hunch that it has something to do with Sakuragi." Hanagata supplied, staring straight into Sendoh's clear blue eyes.

"What?" Sendoh gasped. Now it was his turn to be shocked though he still had not gotten the gist of the whole situation yet. "Fujima and Maki-san? But they're rivals for God' sake!" He exclaimed. But then Hanagata pointed Rukawa and the meaning hit him hard in the gut. "Oh yeah, I forgot." He said with distaste.

"Stop with the nonsense and take me to where he is." Maki insisted.

Suddenly sporting a thoughtful expression, Ryonan's former ace distanced himself from both Maki and Rukawa to stand beside the tall spectacled player. "Tell me one thing Hanagata-san, why do you think Hana's the reason for the break up?" He asked. He was really curious to hear the answer because it might just satisfy his curiosity as to why Fujima was adamant to have the time alone with the redhead. The one-hour time allotment was also Fujima's idea and if it were not for the fact that it would also benefit him, he would not have forgotten to ask the guy for his motive.

"We have no time for that Sendoh." Hanagata replied.

Brows furrowed, "Why not? It's not as if Fujima's going anywhere with Hana, besides they're just talking."

"What makes you so sure?" Maki questioned.

Turning to face Maki, "I just know okay?" Sendoh answered and turned once again to the tall spectacled guy. "Well?"

Sighing, Hanagata raked his hand on his hair and wearily said, "It's not my story to tell but if Maki and Rukawa says that it's ok, then I will."

Both Hanagata and Sendoh first turned to the tanned player and seeing a nod, both turned to the raven head but he was not where he was standing before. Scanning the room, Hanagata found him staring outside the window with his hands balled into fist. [Hang in there, Rukawa.] He mentally encouraged. Decision made, Hanagata squared his shoulders and started disclosing the same information he had given Maki and Rukawa to Sendoh in a fast pace manner. Time was of the essence and he would not let another relationship be broken if he could help it.

*************************************************

{Poolside}

"Youhei, where are you going?" Noma called, taking two steps at a time to reach his friend's side.

Without even looking at his mustached friend, "I'm going to follow Sendoh. I'm worried about Hanamichi. I don't think we should have left him earlier." He replied.

Falling behind Mito to pass under the arc, "What could possibly happen to him?"

Frowning, Mito stopped and turned around to stare at Noma. "I really don't know. It may be nothing but still… Anyway, why don't you just stay here and watch out for those two." He said, looking at a slowly getting drunk Ookusu and an overstuffed sleeping Takamiya by the pool.

Noma followed his friend's line of sight and nodded his understanding but not before asking, "Are you sure you want to go by yourself?"

Laughing in spite of his worry over their missing friend, "Like I said, it may be nothing and besides Hanamichi and I could take anyone anytime. You know that." Mito boasted and then went to catch Sendoh.

*************************************************

{The Den}

The silence that had filled the car on their way to Sendoh's place was very much the same silence that the four people inside the Den were experiencing at that moment. Hanagata was completely drained while Maki and Rukawa would have wanted to be spared of another retelling of that story whereas Sendoh was just plain stunned.

After the initial shock had subsided, "Fujima had kept this hidden that long?" Sendoh exclaimed, finally breaking the silence.

Unable to utter another word, Hanagata just nodded his head, sitting on a nearby chair.

"Now will you take us there?" Maki questioned, growing impatient to talk to his boyfriend.

Still a bit dazed with the revelation, the spikey haired player nodded his head and all four of them went out of the room.

Just a minute after stepping out of the room, Maki questioned, "What makes you think that they're just talking anyway?"

"Because Fujima's been itching to see and talk to Hana since this morning. He was even more impatient than I was when we were waiting for birthday boy to arrive." Sendoh chuckled in remembrance but stopped in his tracks when Maki stopped walking. Facing the once Kanagawa's number one, Sendoh mentally slapped himself when he saw jealousy written all over the other's face. "Er… I'm sorry Maki-san, I didn't mean…"

Waving a hand, "No. It's ok." Resuming his walk, "Did Kenji say what he wanted from Sakuragi?"

Heaving a sigh of relief, Sendoh was about to take a step forward when he felt goose bumps pricking the back of his neck, turning, he met a pair of blue eyes that could give him frost bites. "Jealous Rukawa?" He taunted and smirked when the latter walked past him and mumbled, "He's mine Sendoh."

Irked by the tone of possessiveness, he thought, [In your dreams Rukawa. I would not loose him to you, yet.] With that, Sendoh resumed walking and fell into step with the waiting Maki and answered the hanging question. "No, he didn't. Fujima was tight lip about that and I even questioned him before I left Hana with him but that boyfriend of yours shooed me out saying that Hana was the only one who needs to know his reasons."

Turning a corner, "I've always known that Fujima was deadly on court but today… he looked…" Sendoh faltered.

"What? He looked like what?" Maki pressed.

Shaking his head, "I don't know. He had that determined look. It was as if he's playing for the championships or something." He tried surmising and then, "His eyes had that glint which clearly says, 'stay away from my business', that sort of thing." He sighed, head bent low as if trying to recapture what he had seen in Fujima's eyes, thus he was oblivious to the intent stares that were being given to him by his three companions. Then suddenly he chuckled and said, "Guess it might just be the alcohol that made him look serenely dangerous."

Hanagata stiffened when he heard that. "Kenji's been drinking?" He asked and stopped in mid-stride.

Smiling towards the spectacled player, Sendoh stopped as well and replied, "Drowning himself was more like it. I think he had drunk at least three cans of beer and had shots of vodka at the study room earlier but he could still stand and walk straight." Grinning in remembrance, "That guy could sure hold his alcohol. If it were me, just mixing those two drinks would sure make me drunk by now." He stated.

[Oh but you don't know Kenji Sendoh. He could hold his alcohol alright but he's a different guy altogether when he drinks.] "How long ago did you leave them anyway?" Hanagata questioned.

Checking his watch, "A little over an hour ago." The spikey haired player said and continued walking.

"WHAT? You left them that long ago?"

Three heads turned to see the horrified and worried expression on the spectacled player. But Hanagata was unmindful of their stares. [An hour was enough to…] Shaking his head, [No I won't think that of Kenji. He would not and could not go through with it… even if he is drunk.] He mentally argued. But even so, his friend had once gotten purposely drunk just so he could do something that he totally wouldn't do if he was sober… take the first step to admit his feelings for Kainan's ace. [It was a good thing that Maki had felt the same or else…] Dragging his thoughts away from the past, Hanagata focused his attention on the present. "Let's go Sendoh." He called and stunned the blue-eyed brunette when he fiercely gripped his arm to continue on their way.

Sendoh was about to cry out something to the guy who was literally carrying him when someone called his name.

All four imposing guys stopped in their tracks and turned to look at the 'not intimated stance' and 'determined' looking Mito. "Where's Hanamichi, Sendoh?" He asked, ignoring the baleful glare that a certain raven head was throwing his way.

"Hana sure is in demand today." Sendoh tried joking but no one was buying, thus he resignedly said, "He is in the next room." Then proceeded to remove himself from Hanagata's grasp and opened the said door.

Once inside, "Where is he?" Mito asked after an empty room received them.

Raking his hand over his gelled hair, "I swear that we left them here an hour ago." Sendoh replied, his face showing the first signs of worry.

"We?" Maki questioned.

Nodding his head, he answered, "Kiyota and I."

[This is not good.] Hanagata thought in dismay, imitating Sendoh's action by raking his fingers through his hair and then he saw something on the floor that made his heart jump in his throat. Without second thoughts, he hurriedly went over to pick it up for close inspection and shut his eyes when his fears were confirmed, praying to all the God's in heaven to stop his friend, wherever he was.

"But I thought you and Fujima were the only ones with Hanamichi? What's going on Sendoh?" Mito asked threateningly, he didn't like the idea that his bestfriend had to contend with three guys on his birthday and without the four of them to support him.

Assuming that Sakuragi's friend was about to start the whole 'let's question Hanagata' trend again, "No time for that. We have to find them fast." He hurriedly interjected, getting frantic with worry. "How many rooms do you have? I think we should separate to cover more grounds." He added.

"Rooms?" Sendoh and Maki looked at the spectacled guy inquisitively while Mito just nodded his head in agreement and was just about ready to go out of the room again, as for Rukawa… The fox-eyed player seemed to be immersed in a world of his own, tuning out everything as he wandered around the room in hopes of feeling the essence of his beloved. Finding none, he wearily sat on a chair that was farthest from the door and buried his face in his hands. [Hana where are you?] He mentally cried in anguish.

Oblivious to a certain player's misery, Sendoh and Maki cornered Hanagata. "What's with that expression?" Maki queried and his eyes were piercing through Hanagata as if trying to read what the other was thinking.

Looking away, "Nothing. I just want to find Kenji and Sakuragi at once." The spectacled guy answered.

"I don't think that's it Hanagata-san." Sendoh interjected. Sidestepping Maki, "I think you're still keeping something so say it already." He persisted.

Sendoh's comment jarred Rukawa into full awareness of the on-going conversation and he found himself waiting breathlessly for Hanagata's answer. It was rare that he had to agree to something Sendoh would say but what his rival had noticed was true. There was that worried expression and the unmistakable fear that the tallest guy had expressed earlier in the hall before Mito appeared. Standing up, he donned his cold mask to veil any remnants of his earlier weakness and bridged the gap between him and the others. Reaching their side, "What are you hiding?" He asked in all seriousness.

Hanagata was left in no doubt about the severity of the question but he was still adamant to stick to his decision thus he replied, "I can't." Shaking his head, "I don't want to hurt you guys further." He mumbled, the last phrase was said more to himself than for the others.

But Rukawa had heard and felt something like a butcher knife was poised to strike his heart the moment he opened his mouth to say, "What are you trying to shield us from?"

When he lifted his head, Shoyo's former center turned sad eyes towards the person in the room that he knew would be the most affected if he did say it. "Please don't make me Rukawa. I… I don't want to cause you more pain or unnecessary worry." He beseeched.

[More pain? Worry? WHAT?] If ever, Rukawa's resolve to know what it was strengthened even more after that remark and felt fear that something was happening to his beloved as they speak. "I don't care about myself! If it concerns Hanamichi then I have to know. Please." He openly begged.

"No!" Hanagata suddenly replied in a firm tone. "I can't say anything until I see Kenji!" He yelled, making the younger brunette stagger backwards. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you, but you're just too persistent for your own good. I know what you feel but it is better this way. Trust me on this."

Eyes blazing with anger and frustration, Rukawa straightened himself then said, "Trust you?" He spat, walking a step closer to Hanagata. "Trust you?" He repeated, edging closer. "TRUST YOU?" He barely yelled, as he stood right in front of the guy who he wanted to shake till his brains fell out. "How can I trust someone whose only concern seems to be centered on the guy that might hurt the man that I love? Can you explain the logic in that?" He questioned in a deadly tone that told everybody in the room that he was almost in the brink of loosing his control.

Sendoh just watched the normally silent Shohoku forward in his tirade and actually shared his sentiment. He might still be jealous of him but he finally recognized the guy's position as Hana's boyfriend. "I think you better tell him Hanagata-san. I hate to tell you this but Rukawa's not the best person to rile, if you know what I mean." He tried jesting, pointing to his cut lip.

But Hanagata just looked at them with a stern expression on his face and in a calm and clear tone he said, "I'm not riling anybody and if you guys want to waste more time by staying here then, be my guest." He said.

Turning around, Hanagata was about to walk towards the door that was still being held open by a very confused and silent Mito when a pale hand firmly grasped his arm to turn him back around and the next thing he knew, he was staggering backwards from Rukawa's blow on his jaw.

"My my my… you are definitely itching to ram that fist of yours on human flesh, aren't you Rukawa?" Sendoh chortled, licking his cut lip and wincing when he felt its soreness. Turning towards the spectacled guy, "Don't say I didn't warn you." He reminded him.

Rubbing his bruised jaw, Hanagata straightened himself and the flare of anger on his face was quite identifiable. "You really want to know Rukawa?" He asked. Seeing a nod, he turned towards the silent bystander and asked, "How about you Maki?"

"Like Rukawa said, I don't care about myself. Just say it." Maki firmly replied.

Facing the raving raven head, "Well then, what if I tell you that Fujima's thinking of taking Sakuragi away from you? Would you still be asking me these questions instead of looking for your boyfriend?" He revealed and the only satisfaction he could really accept from the situation was the look of pure horror on Rukawa's face after choking a weak, "What?" and then a "Why?" before he heard the twin gasps from both Sendoh and Maki.

Looking dead straight into Rukawa's eyes, "Kenji IS that fixated over your boyfriend but as for his reasons…" Shaking his head, "Only Kenji knows the answer to that." He replied and watched with guilt when the young brunette turned ashen.

After a few seconds of eerie silence, "Rukawa…" He tried calling but the other already had a faraway look, almost like in a trance, whilst Maki and Sendoh still had that expression of disbelief on their faces. Mito, on the other hand, remained standing near the doorway, unmoving and silent but the look of confusion and surprise on his face told him that the dark haired guy was totally clueless. [God what a mess! I have to at least say something to him. He is Sakuragi's friend and he has a right to know.] Hanagata thought, raking his hand over his dark tresses.

Hanagata was about to walk towards Mito when he was suddenly jerked back and met a pair of glistening brown eyes. "Why Hanagata? What kind of hold does Sakuragi have over Kenji? Tell me!" Maki suddenly exclaimed, fisting the taller guy's collar before crumbling to the floor with tears streaming down his face all the while saying, "Why Kenji? Why did you have to leave me? Just because of him? Why?" Maki cried in pain, finally breaking down.

The tall spectacled guy shut his eyes, first Rukawa and then Maki. < The truth shall set you free. > [Another stupid saying.] He mentally cursed. So far the truth had been nothing but pain. Was it his fault? Should he blame himself? Shaking his head, [No. It could not be helped. The least I could do is to try and get to Kenji at once.]

Going down on one knee so he could be leveled with the tanned player, "I'm so sorry Maki. Please stop being like this. Kenji loves you. I know he does. Just believe in that." He said in a low tone and was about to help the guy to his feet when Sendoh suddenly placed a hand on his shoulder, shaking his head while saying, "Leave him to wallow in his pain Hanagata-san, he needs it."

Silence once again filled the room as Sendoh, Hanagata and Mito gave Rukawa and Maki time to somehow bounce back while thinking as to where they could search for the missing duo. But not for long…

"Mito-san!!!! Have you seen Sendoh-san?" A loud voice that came from outside the door Mito was keeping open suddenly echoed inside the study room.

First to react, "He's inside." Mito supplied, pointing inside the room.

Hikoichi's eyes lit up and was about to enter when the person he was looking for suddenly came out and asked, "What do you want Hikoichi?" He was kind of taken aback with the tone of irritation he detected from his idol's voice but when he sneaked a peak inside the room and saw Shohoku's Ice Prince, he then smiled his understanding. "I was just going to tell you that the bakery called and asked if someone's going to pickup the cake or do they deliver it."

Slapping his forehead none too gently, "God I have totally forgotten about it. Fujima and Kiyota were supposed to pick it up earlier." Sendoh grimaced.

"But he did." A female voice suddenly intervened from the direction where Hikoichi came from. Not long after, another female emerged from the shadows and together they strode next to the three people who stood chatting in the hallway.

"Ayako-san? Haruko?"

Both girls gave the surprised looking Mito a grin before they turned to their elusive host and Ayako said, "Don't worry about the cake, Fujima-san and Sakuragi went to pick it up."

"Hanamichi?"… "Fujima?"… "You saw them?" Sendoh and Mito simultaneously cried.

Nodding her head, "About 20 minutes or so ago." Ayako confirmed and she was just about ready to tell them about it when Hanagata and a dejected looking Maki surprisingly came out of the room. All of a sudden Ayako found herself being bombarded with questions about Sakuragi and Fujima. Confused as to why the others were seemingly over interested, Ayako was about to blurt out a question to them when her eyes suddenly caught sight of another figure that was left alone inside the room. Immediately, her feet carried her towards that direction and she was shocked when she saw the look of anguish on her normally impassive junior.

"Rukawa-kun…" She heard Haruko stammer from behind. Turning around, "It's alright Haruko. I'll handle this. Go tell the others about Sakuragi and Fujima-san will you?" She coaxed and shooed the younger girl out the door.

Glad that Haruko had listened to her, she ventured further inside the room and stood beside her former junior. "Rukawa? Hey Rukawa? Are you okay?" Ayako softly called, tugging the silent boy's sleeve. But Rukawa was still unresponsive. Getting worried, she resorted into shaking the guy none too gently and blurted, "Hey Rukawa snap out of it. Did you and Sakuragi have a fight or something?" The loud shrill of her voice carried itself across the room which made the others look at her in surprise but she was unmindful of them. Her sole attention was on the guy who seemed to be in a painful trance and though her voice could have roused the dead, Rukawa gave no indication that he had heard her. [I think I like him better as brooding and a loner than in love but in obvious pain like this.] She thought.

"It's no use Ayako-san. It's better if you leave him be for a while." Mito advised, standing next to the lady brunette.

"But…" She started and would have argued if Mito had not suddenly said, "He'll be fine." With that, Ayako did not pursue her 'would be' line of questioning but continued to rouse her junior by softly calling his name over and over again.

Rukawa, on the other hand, was totally oblivious to his former manageress' presence in the room and he was not even aware that his face was showing the turmoil raging inside of him.

< Fujima's thinking of taking Sakuragi away from you >

< Fujima's thinking of taking Sakuragi away from you >

< Fujima's thinking of taking Sakuragi away from you >

< Fujima's thinking of taking Sakuragi away from you >

Those words were the only ones he could hear ever since Hanagata had uttered them and everything faded out into oblivion after that.

[No! No one's taking Hana away from me. Not Sendoh or Fujima! Not anybody!] Rukawa had kept countering, over and over again. But something… there was something that made him stop the sick loop that he was going through and then two emotions had broken free, anger and fear. Anger for the guy who would attempt to take his beloved away and Fear for the distinct possibility that that guy might succeed. Both emotions were close to bringing him down, but he couldn't afford to, not yet anyway, not till he could find his Hana, his loud and lively redhead.

With his smiling Hana's face slowly floating back in his head, he eventually mustered enough mental strength to control his wayward emotions and break free from the torment that he was thrown to. Gradually, he could hear voices around him and a familiar female voice that was calling his name penetrated his senses. Shaking his head a little, Rukawa schooled himself before he turned to the voice and faced Ayako with an expression that was like the Rukawa of old.

The lady brunette smiled and never thought that she would be happy to see Rukawa's icy expression back on his face. "That's the spirit Rukawa. Now go get your 'aho before he eats all that cake by himself." She stated which made Mito sweatdrop with the knowledge that Shohoku's former manageress' deepest concern was that Hanamichi's going to stuff himself with cake.

Of course Ayako was just joking but Rukawa need not know that. Instead she said, "Take care of yourself Rukawa and take good care of Sakuragi for us too, will you?"

After giving Ayako a nod, Rukawa turned to the others and was in time to hear Sendoh asking frantically for Kogure's car phone number. [What? Why would he want to call Kogure-sempai?] He wondered. But he was soon enough given a run down by Mito with the events that had happened while he was caught up in his own misery.

< Maki's breakdown. >

< Sakuragi accompanying Fujima to the bakery. >

<The champagne. >

< Sakuragi's state when Ayako and Haruko saw him. >

<The promise that Sakuragi had made to Fujima. >

< Sakuragi and Fujima getting into Kogure's car. >

< Sendoh asking for the car phone number to get a hold of his driver. >

< The address and phone number of the bakery that the pair went to which they got from Hikoichi. >

After hearing that, Rukawa was suddenly mobilized into action, glad that somehow he had a lead as to where he could find his Hana and purposely ignored the other information. As soon as Ayako gave them Kogure's car phone number and license plate, Rukawa, Mito, Sendoh, Maki and Hanagata hurriedly went outside and got into two cars, Sendoh and Rukawa's. Leaving the two girls confused and bewildered while Hikoichi was disgruntled since he was given instructions by the host to take care of everything while they were away and to not say anything about what or where they were going but immediately inform him if Sakuragi or Fujima returned.

************************************************

{Somewhere in Kanagawa}

A black car stopped in front of what seems like a townhouse of sort that was situated some distance away from Shoyo High School. A rather tall brown-haired guy got out of the car and asked the driver for his help to carry the semi-conscious redhead inside the house. Upon doing so, the driver had totally missed the shrill ringing of the phone inside the car.

************************************************

{Sendoh's Car}

"Well?" Sendoh asked, keeping his eyes straight on the road in front of him but he had no idea where they were supposed to head.

"Your stupid driver just won't answer!" Maki cried in frustration as he tried for the 5th time to call Kogure's car phone.

Slamming his hand hard on the wheel, "Damn! How do we know where to look? The manager of the bakery already said that Fujima had the cake delivered. Where could they have possibly gone afterwards?" Sendoh exclaimed, turning left on a corner that would lead them opposite the bakery's direction.

[Where are you Kenji? Where did you take Sakuragi?] Hanagata pondered. Then suddenly a thought struck him and he cursed himself for being remiss. Leaning forward, "Head to Shoyo High Sendoh." He barked, startling the two anxious looking players sitting in the front.

"Why?" Maki quipped.

[Should I tell him?] He thought but then, [What the heck. I already told them the painful stuff at least this surprise would make him feel better, I hope.] Facing his bestfriend's lover, "Fujima bought a beach house near our school for the both of you and he was supposed to show it to you this coming Wednesday - April 4th. " He conveyed. But then he saw Maki's face darkened thus he questioned, "What? You're not happy with the news? It was supposed to be his anniversary gift for you."

Shifting in his seat so he could stare straight ahead, "You're forgetting that he had broken up with me Hanagata and presuming that that's where we're headed, you think that I would feel happy in knowing that he's taking Sakuragi instead of me?" Maki argued in a painful voice.

"Maki-san" Sendoh said in a soft voice, feeling the other's pain.

"Drive Sendoh. Don't worry about me. I'll get Kenji back." He assured him and then something odd suddenly struck him. "What makes you think that Kenji's bringing Sakuragi there anyway? They could be anywhere by now." He queried, shifting so he could see Hanagata's face.

Hanagata gave Maki a worried look before he sighed and said, "Could be, but it's the best place that I could think of, considering some facts."

"Facts? What facts? Are you still keeping something from us?" Maki cried, fearful as to what revelation he might hear again from the 'oh so knowledgeable of Kenji' spectacled brunette.

Leaning against his seat, "First, there's that sick need of Kenji to get Sakuragi alone so he could determine the extent of his feelings for the guy, though I don't really know how he could possibly accomplish that. Second, basing this assumption on what little I know of Sakuragi, I'm guessing that Kenji would have a difficult time in achieving that since Sakuragi would not just bow and go along with whatever Kenji might have in mind. With me so far?" He paused and looked at Maki.

"I could vouch for the second one Hanagata-san. Hana is one of the stubbornness people that I know and he would definitely not purposely make Rukawa jealous by going alone with Fujima, let alone do stuff that he himself would not tolerate. He made that condition himself before he agreed to our request." Sendoh supplied, checking the rear view mirror to see if the said jealous guy's car was still tailing them.

Looking back and forth from Sendoh to Hanagata, "So?"

Mentally thanking Ryonan's departing ace, "So… that brings me to the third fact which is this." Hanagata said as he took something from his pocket and showed it to Maki.

Taking the emptied satin sheet paper, "What is this?" Maki questioned, perplexed.

"THAT should contain the drug that I was researching and THAT could make Kenji's endeavor easier to accomplish."

"What?" Both Sendoh and Maki exclaimed.

Taking a deep breath, "I was researching on hallucinogen drugs or perception altering drugs or mood swing drugs, which ever you would like to call it. But bottom line is, it's a drug which I think Kenji would or had already used on Sakuragi." He confessed.

Maki had a huge disbelief crossing his face when he asked, "Why would you even think that Kenji would be capable of doing that?"

"How would you explain that empty foil then if Kenji didn't use it on Sakuragi? Have you seen one of this Sendoh?"

Sneaking a glance on the said foil, "No."

"See? Besides, what Haruko and Ayako said about how Sakuragi had looked strengthened my belief that Kenji had drugged him and knowing that, I don't think your boyfriend would just bring him to the park or somewhere where he could not possibly support a man heavier than him. Could you?" Hanagata stated.

Though it made sense, Maki could still not bring himself to believe that his boyfriend would stoop that low. Drugging someone? "But why?" Maki voiced.

Shaking his head, "Only Kenji knows the answer to that whereas I could only speculate and I think that his main goal was to weaken Sakuragi and when mixed with alcohol, he would be knocked out cold."

"Why? What does that drug do?" Sendoh suddenly asked because the thought that the redhead was drugged and in danger was making his mind reel with worry.

Looking outside the window, "I could only tell you what I have researched so far. Well, the drug normally takes around 30 to 60 minutes before taking its effect but it depends on the dosage. The drug's effects are unpredictable and may vary with the amount ingested and the user's personality, mood, expectations, and surroundings. Users of the drug may experience dizziness, sweating, tremors, disorientation, perceptive alteration and hallucination; but the drug's major effects are emotional and sensory. The user's emotions may shift rapidly through a range from fear to euphoria, with transitions so rapid that the user may seem to experience several emotions simultaneously. But what this drug was supposed to be known for is that the user's sensory perceptions would be highly intensified." Hanagata ended, turning away from the window to lean his head back against his seat while kneading his throbbing forehead.

After Hanagata's explanations, Sendoh's mind suddenly drifted back to something Fujima had said in the study room earlier. < Rest assured that if and when I do kiss you… I'll make sure that it will be pleasurable for the both of us. >

Eyes widening in horror, [God please no. If Fujima used that on Hana and he tried… No! I would not think that.] Sendoh mentally chastised himself but still, the fear he was feeling inside could not be ignored and his hands tightened their hold on the wheel till the knuckles turned white.

Maki, on the other hand, could not accept or entertain the thought that his boyfriend would be that desperate to get Sakuragi. "No. I don't believe that. I won't believe it. Kenji would not do it." He denied with vehemence. Shifting so he could face the front, "How did he get this anyway?"

Sighing, "He knew where I was keeping it since he was actually helping me with the research and all." Hanagata confessed.

Maki leaned his head against his seat and closed his eyes. Kneading his forehead, "I think you better call Rukawa and tell him where we're going. But omit any information about this drug. I don't think he could handle anymore of your revelations and so do I." He stated, feeling weary and drained from everything that had happened.

************************************************

{Rukawa's Car}

After Hanagata had called and informed them of their new destination, Mito pocketed the celfone that Sendoh had lent to him since Rukawa could not use his and was rendered silent in the back seat to mull over the events that had happened. He had never thought that their innocent enough prank of yesterday's dating game would have such unthinkable results. Sure they were satisfied that they had at least helped Hanamichi in making Rukawa open up about their relationship in public but it had also opened up lots of complications that would have been better left hidden and untouched. He was still unsure and unclear with the issue regarding Fujima and Hanamichi since nobody had explained anything to him but the stuffs that he had heard and witnessed inside the study room was enough for him to be worried and sympathize with Rukawa's reaction. The guy loves his friend and he was actually thankful for it but the feeling that Rukawa was also, in a way, blaming him and the others for Hanamichi's disappearance was in no way calming his nerves.

Voicing his thoughts, "Oi Rukawa. Are you blaming us for what happened to Hanamichi?" He questioned, gently tapping Rukawa on the shoulder but Mito only got the cold shoulder. [Well what did you expect? A full sentence speech saying that it was not your fault? Come on, that's Rukawa you're talking to.] His mind rebuked, much to his consternation and annoyance.

Sighing in defeat, he slumped back in his seat and casually said, "For what it's worth, we did not want anything to happen to Hanamichi. He's our friend and we care for him too but Hanamichi can take care of himself, he's the strongest in our group so I wouldn't worry that much if I were you."

[Yes he is but he is an innocent in a lot of ways and I'm afraid that Fujima would take advantage of that.] Without even turning around, "Ask them if they know of a shortcut." Rukawa clipped. [The sooner that I get there the better. Hana's been away from me long enough.]

Relieved that he had somehow gotten a response from the silent guy, Mito complied. When Hanagata answered the phone, Mito immediately relayed Rukawa's questioned and got an affirmative answer saying that Hanagata knew of a shortcut that could get them there within minutes. Grabbing the phone, Rukawa asked for the exact route on how to find the shortcut. When they were done talking, the raven head imparted the information to his driver and instructed him to go as fast as he could and leave Sendoh behind if need be. Handing the phone over to the bewildered Mito, "You better put on your seatbelt." He clipped and then they were off like the wind.

************************************************

{Sendoh's Car}

"Rukawa sure is in a hurry." Sendoh commented after he saw Rukawa's car zoomed past his.

"Knowing that driver of his, they might even arrive before Fujima." Hanagata chuckled.

"Why do you say that? Fujima has had at least half an hour head start."

"You're forgetting that Fujima had to stop at the bakery and I'm guessing that he did not use the short route since he might not have felt the need for it. Unlike Rukawa." Hanagata commented.

Maki's brown eyes were glinting when he suddenly turned towards their spikey haired driver then said, "You better not loose Rukawa, Sendoh. I don't want him to lay a hand on Kenji if I could help it."

[Rukawa's not the only one you should be worried about Maki. If Fujima even dared to lay a hand or hurt Hana, not only will I help Rukawa in crucifying him but I'll personally deliver him to hell.] With that thought, Sendoh pushed his foot hard on the accelerator and chased Rukawa's car like a demon possessed.

************************

To be continued…

*************************

Sorry if it took me this long to update this but this is one hard chapter to finish or edit or rescene for that matter. Well I think there would still be two more chapters to go and the next would be Fujima's Confession time… Do tell me what you think of this fic so far and if you have any vehement reactions or comments or even criticisms, do feel free to voice them out.

See you next… and by the way, thank you to everyone who have read the previous chapters and took the time to comment. It was very much appreciated. To those who have just read, thank you as well.