Slayers Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Lunar ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Lunar: Silver Star
By Sakura
 
Part 1: The Dragon Diamond
 
        Xellos stood before Dragonmaster Dynast's tombstone, wishing he could be an adventurer like he was. Life in Burg was getting monotonous and he needed a little more excitement.
        "Xel! Hey Xel! Where are you?" came the highpitched voice of the boy's friend and somewhat pet flying cat, Nall.
        Turning around, Xellos smiled "Oh hi, Nall." He should have known he wouldn't be alone for long. Nall always knew how to find him.
        "Xel I've been calling and flying around looking for you the last half hour. Didn't you hear me? But I should've known you'd come here as soon as your chores were done."
        The violet haired boy chuckled. "Come on Nall, where else could I go to get away and think?"
        The flying cat perched on his shoulder, tired from all the exercise he'd been forced to do looking for Xellos. Looking at the tombstone, he read the inscription: "'In memory of the great Dragonmaster Dynast.'" He let out a sigh. "I know that Dynast was possibly the greatest of the Four Heroes, Xel, but I'm surprised that you never get bored coming here day after day." His human friend was about to reply when Nall suddenly remembered why he was looking for him in the first place.
        "Oh shoot! I forgot... we were supposed to meet Lina and practice for the festival. If we're late, she's gonna kill us!"
        "You're right Nall, we'd better get going!" The boy then dashed down the hill, the cat creature riding on his shoulder. Suddenly there was a tremor and he stumbled slightly. Nall had to take to the air in order to prevent from falling off.
        "Another one? That's the third earthquake this week! I wonder what's going on?" he asked once he got back on his favorite perch.
        "I've no idea, Nall," his violet haired friend replied.
        "Hey Xel!" a blond boy his age called as he ran up to meet them. "I knew you'd be here!" The poor guy was out of breath, but was too excited to stop. He wanted to tell his best and only friend the great news. He also had a terrible memory and wanted to tell Xellos before he forgot everything.
        "Since it's getting warmer why don't we go to the dragon's cave and get that great big diamond everyone's been talking about. If we hurry we can get in and out without the dragon waking up!"
        "Gee I don't know about this, Gourry," Xellos began.
        "We sorta promised Lina we'd help her practice," Nall added.
        "Oh.. well I guess we can go after you're done right? Just don't tell her ok? She'll wanna come with us and it's too dangerous for a girl." Gourry then dashed back down the rest of the hill to get the necessary supplies.
        "Hey Gourry! Wait!" Xellos called but it was too late, his friend was already gone.
        "You're not really going to the dragon's cave are you?" Nall asked.
        "I'd really like to, but it is way too dangerous. I'm still just a kid. I guess I'll go try and talk him out of it."
        "You'd better not let Lina find out. You know how much she wants that diamond." Nall said.
 
 
        "I'm home!" Xellos called, entering the tiny one floor house.
        "Welcome home, son," a violet haired man said sitting at the kitchen table, whittling away at a piece of wood.
        "If you're looking for Lina, I think she said she was going to the springs," a blonde woman said, standing by the stove.
        "Thanks mom!" the boy said.
        "Better get going Xel, you know how bad her singing gets when Lina's angry." the cat said.
        "I'll be back!" Xellos said as he left.
        "Don't be too late. Lunch is almost ready," his father said.
 
 
        After stopping at Gourry's to talk him out of going to the dragon's cave, which was a complete failure. Gourry had forgotten he'd planned to go there and once Xellos mentioned it, he was more eager to go than ever. Begrudgingly the violet haired boy promised to meet him after his practice was done.
        The two made their way to a nearby group of springs that used to be a bathhouse.
        A red haired girl was sitting on what used to be a stone bench, singing a wordless tune to herself. And she was a bit off key. Hoping she'd calm down once he started playing, Xellos brought out his hand carved flute and began to play along with his adopted sister.
        Realizing he'd finally shown up, Lina turned to see Xellos standing behind her, holding his flute.
        "Xel you're late! Again! Don't tell me you were wasting the day away at Dynast's monument again," she said in mock anger. She wasn't really angry with him. She too was beginning to get bored with her small town life. "Or were you and Gourry planning on one of his stupid get rich quick schemes?"
        "Sorry Lina-chan, I lost track of the time."
        "Uh-huh." Lina always knew when her adoptive brother lied. He had a habit of rubbing the back of his head when he did. "Nice weather we're having by the way. It's really getting warm."
        Nall should have known that this was the cue to keep his mouth shout, but didn't. "Yeah it sure is. Soon all that ice will be off the cave... oops!" He quickly covered his mouth with his paws.
        "I don't believe you, Xellos! You were planning on going to the dragon's cave and not take me!" They could practically see the steam rising from around her.
       "Way to go, Nall," Xellos hissed.
        "Um... sorry."
        "I tried to talk Gourry out of it. Really."
        "Riiiiiiiiight. And I'm L-sama! If you two 'men' don't take me with you, I'm telling mom who spilled wine all over her wedding dress." Lina grinned evilly.
        "Y-you wouldn't!" Nall stammered.
        "Oh yes I would!" she countered.
        Xellos sighed, he knew when to admit defeat. "Ok Lina, you can come. Just be careful. Mom and Dad would kill me if you got hurt."
        "The same goes for you," she said before letting out a triumphant whoop. "Let's see if there's anything in the basement we can use." With that, the petite redhead ran back home.
        "We're sunk aren't we?" Nall asked.
        "Next time Nall, keep your mouth shut." As much as he loved and adored her, Lina was a trouble magnet. For some inexplicable reason, monsters came from nowhere whenever she ventured out of  town. He would have a hard time defending himself and Gourry with all the monsters in the cave, but with Lina in tow, it'd be twice as hard.
 
 
        After getting his father's permission, the two would be adventurers ransacked the chests in the basement. After coming back up, Xellos' father pulled him aside. "Just a minute, son, I want you to have these." He then gave him a dagger, a sling for Lina and an odd looking ring with a red stone and flame carvings.
        "Thanks Dad, but what's this ring for?" he asked, looking at it.
        His father smiled, remembering the day he discovered the ring years ago with his friend Dynast before he became Dragonmaster. "That's a fire ring son. It should melt any ice blocking your way. But use it wisely. It's power isn't limitless."
        "I will Dad. Thanks!"
        "Be careful Xellos. I don't want my only son to get killed in some cave," his mother said giving him a hug. "And please take care of your sister."
        "I will, Mom. See you later."
        "He's grown up so fast," she said, sniffling after the children left.
 
 
        After buying some more supplies, which Gourry forgot to buy, and picking up the blond, the group of adventurers headed to the White Dragon Cave. When they got there however, they discovered that not all the ice had melted. A huge pillar of ice was blocking further exploration of the ice covered cavern.
        "Geez what're we going to do now?!" Lina asked, none too happy about their latest predicament.
        "Maybe I should use that ring Dad gave me," Xellos said, bringing it out the fire ring.
        "You think?" Lina said, "Hurry up and use the darn thing! I want my diamond!!!"
        Shaking his head, the violet haired boy held the ring up and a large flame shot from it and turned the ice pillar into one large puddle.
        "Whoah!" Lina and Gourry said in awe.
        "Lemme have that Xel!" Before he could stop her, the redhead snatched the fire ring form the violet haired boy's hand.
        "Lina-chan! Dad gave that to me!"
        "Yeah. But he meant for us, right? So it's ok if I keep it for a while."
        "Yare, yare," Xellos said shaking his head once more. His adopted sister was certainly a handful.
        "Oh boy! Look at all the cool monsters!" Gourry said from up ahead.
        "C'mon let's go before he hurts himself." Lina then pulled Xellos deeper into the cavern.
 
 
        At the end of the lower level of the cave laid a huge white dragon, thankfully asleep.
        "Ok Xel, let's go get that diamond before it wakes up!" Lina said. Gourry stood still, his lower jaw on the ground. He'd never seen a real honest to goodness dragon before. Lina was about to approach the dragon when a voice echoed off the walls:
        "Who has awakened me?"
        The dragon then opened its eyes and stretched his wings. He let out a roar that sent chunks of ice falling. The three people were too scared to move. A barely audible "Hmmm?" was heard as the enormous dragon bent it's neck to look at them.
        "Young ones, you are the first people to come here in a long time. My name is Quark. I am the patriarch of the Dragon Tribe. Your journey is one few have survived, your mission must be an urgent one," the dragon said in a gruff yet friendly voice.
        "Um... well... that is... you see..." Xellos began, feeling more than a bit guilty at sneaking into the dragon's lair uninvited.
        "We've come for the dragon diamond," Lina said.
        "Lina!" Xellos said, shocked at her audacity.
        "So that's why we're here!" Gourry said. Seeing a living, breathing dragon had made him forget their purpose in coming to such a dangerous place.
        Quark laughed. "So humans haven't changed at all. I'm glad to see that. But aren't you here to become Dragonmaster?" he asked the violet haired boy.
        "Dragonmaster?" Xellos repeated. "I'd like to, but I'm not worthy to be one. I'm just a kid." That caused another laugh from the white dragon.
        "I like you. Tell you what, I'll give you the diamond," Quark began.
        "Yay! We're gonna be rich!" Lina cheered.
        "If you bring back a ring from one of the chests in the cave," the dragon finished.
        "Hey that's not fair!" the petite girl said, "We had to risk our lives fighting those damn monsters trying to get here and we're not leaving without the dragon diamond!"
        "Lina-chan, please be quiet!" Xellos said, certain they were now dragon chow.
        "Um... is this the ring you're talking about?" Gourry asked, holding up an ornate white gold ring.
        "Hmm.. let me see that boy," Quark said. Gourry gave the ring to Xellos and he presented it to the ancient dragon. "By the Goddess! That's it! Well done my friends you may have my diamond." With that the dragon moved aside so they could remove a huge white diamond from his nest.
        "Thank you, Quark-san. We're sorry for the trouble we've caused," Xellos said bowing.
        The dragon chuckled. "It's no trouble at all, son. I rather like the company of youngsters such as you. Please, feel free come back and visit anytime."
        Once they've chatted for a bit longer and were healed by Quark, the group of adventurers started on their way home.
        "By the way, Gourry," Lina piped up, still clutching the huge diamond, "Where'd you get that ring?"
        "Xel and I found it in one of those blocked chests while you were distracting those baboon things," the blond answered.
        "Well it really doesn't matter since we got what we came for. We're gonna rich! Just wait till everyone sees the size of this thing!" Lina was very pleased with herself and began skipping a head.
        "Gee I hope they have enough silver to buy it from us. It's a pretty big rock," Gourry said.
        "Baka! It's a dragon diamond! That's why it's so big!" The redhead promptly started beating the absentminded blond.
        "Here we go again," Xellos muttered his breath, sighing and picking up the discarded diamond.
 
 
 
What do you think minna? C&C always welcome.
 
Disclaimer: All characters belong to their respective creators.