Slayers Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Lunar ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Lunar
Part 2: The Adventure Starts
 
        Lina stood in one of the few shops in Burg, fuming that the shopkeeper had refused to buy the dragon diamond they'd risked their lives for the day before.
        "What do you mean you won't take it?!" she yelled, "This is an genuine dragon diamond!! We were nearly killed getting this thing!!"
        The keeper looked at the redhead sympathetically. "It's not that I don't believe you, Lina. In fact that is the biggest diamond I've ever seen, but I already told you we can't afford to buy even a sliver of that thing."
        "Great, just great!" Lina sighed, "What a waste."
        "You could try Meribia," the keeper suggested. "They have lots of shops there I heard and they're all rich."
        "That sounds like a really good idea, Lina," Gourry said who had been standing way back in case his friend went into one of her tantrums.
        "Well, I guess you're right about that." Lina sighed again and left, heading back to the springs to cool off.
        Gourry knowing well enough to leave the redhead alone, went in search of Xellos. The purple haired boy was, as usual, at Dynast's monument. "Hey Xel! The guy at the store said he didn't have enough money to buy that rock we found," the blond said.
        "Yare, yare. I bet Lina was real happy about that," Xellos said, shivering at the memory of the last time Lina was really angry.
        "Nope. She was real mad." Gourry was never too bright when it came to sarcasm. "But the guy said we should try going to someplace called Medidia or Mebibia or something like that." He was never too good with names either. It was a miracle he could remember his own as well as his too friends.
        "Meribia?" Xellos asked.
        "Yeah that's it! Why don't you and me go and surprise Lina with the money?" Gourry asked excitedly. He'd never been out of Burg before and a trip to some far off city sounded like a great adventure.
        "I don't know, Gourry," Xellos said, "Lina will kill us if she finds out we left without her."
        "Yeah! My wings still remember the last time she got angry," Nall added.
        "Guess you're right, but what do we do with this thing?" Gourry asked, looking at the huge diamond.
        "Why don't we just all go?" Nall said wanting to leave the small village as much as the others.
        "I'll tell Lina!" Gourry ran down the hill before anyone could stop him.
        "Yare, yare," Xellos said sighing. He went after his friend, not sure it was the right thing to do. He'd been living in Burg all his life and all of a sudden a chance to leave had been dropped in his lap. It was what he always wanted, but no that he had it he was feeling a little scared.
 
        In the middle of the night, Lina lay in her bed tossing and turning. The strange dream that had haunted her early childhood had returned.
        A beautiful woman stands before a handsome blue haired man, staring sadly at him. Behind him is a purple haired man with two odd colored eyes, he shouts something to them, then there is a flash of white. A pair of hands stretched out as if reaching to catch something. A red haired baby floats into the waiting hands....
        The redhead woke up with a start. "That dream again," she said softly. She silently got up, needing a drink of water. On the way to the kitchen, she passed by Xellos' room and saw that his bed was empty, Nall fast asleep, curled up on the floor beside it. "Xel?" she called.
        As if in response, the sound of the boy's flute drifted on the wind from outside. Leaving the house, Lina was not at all surprised to see him standing before the monument, playing his flute. Smiling, she went back to her room, feeling somewhat comforted by the soft music.
 
 
        The next day, the three travelers a bit past the entrance of the Weird Woods. Xellos couldn't believe he was actually doing this. His parents had given them their blessings and a few more supplies. Lina and Gourry were visibly excited, eager to getting going. However, there was a slight problem.
        A dense fog covered everything, making it near impossible to see. They all could barely see their hands in front of their faces. "Um, guys any ideas how we can get past this?" Gourry asked getting a bit nervous. He hated not being able to see where the monsters came from; that is if there were any.
        Lina looked around at the fogged over forest then got a strange idea. Something deep down inside her told her that she could get rid of the fog. "Let me try something," she said and began to sing a few bars of the song she and Xellos had been practicing for the Goddess Festival.
        To everyone's amazement, the fog instantly cleared away and they could see. "Whoah!!!" Nall said, totally shocked.
        "Where'd that come from?" Lina asked completely perplexed.
        "That was cool Lina! I didn't know you could do magic!" Gourry squealed. "Do something else!"
        Lina then promptly bopped the blond on the head. "Baka! You know I can't do magic. I have no idea how I know to do that!"
        Xellos stared at the redhead for a few more moments then turned to Gourry, "Let's get going before it gets dark or that fog comes back."
        The blond boy was about to say something else, but Lina grabbed him and pulled him along with the others.
 
        After grabbing some left behind supplies and treasure, the group came to a huge clearing only to have their way out blocked by a rather large band of goblins and gorgons. They quickly retreated but found they were now completely surrounded.
        "What do we do now, genius?!" Lina shouted. "It was your idea we go to Meribia!" she glared accusingly at Gourry.
        "But Lina, I thought you wanted to sell this rock," he said meekly.
        "It's not a rock you jellyfish brain!!!! It's a dragon diamond!" She then began to beat the poor boy into a pulp.
        "Uh, Lina-chan, Gourry, now's not the time for this," Xellos said bringing their attention back to their present situation.
        "HAHAHAHAHA!! It seems you've got yourself into quite a fix there!" a man in a red beret and an old worn cape said, suddenly appearing from the trees. "You look as if you could use my help."
        Xellos quickly assessed the monsters before and behind them, and made his decision. "Thanks a lot!" he said. "There's too many of them for us on our own."
        "Just stay out of my way," the man replied as he leapt into the fray. With one powerful blow of his sword, half the monsters were dispatched. Deciding to test the mettle of these children he found, he stood back and let them handle the other half, which of course they quickly defeated.
        After the rest of the monsters retreated, the small group turned to the new comer. "Thanks for the help, sir," Xellos said.
        "Hmph! I still think we could've taken them all," Lina said, angry that a total stranger had upstaged her Xellos.
        The man then laughed. "What a bunch of weaklings! It was a good thing I was passing through! Didn't your folks tell you kids not to play in these woods? It's full of monsters you know."
        "Well, duh!" Lina shot back. "Just who the heck are you, 'ji-chan?"
        "HAHAHAHAHA!!!" the man laughed, amused at the girl's attitude. "My name's Laike!" he said, "How about a fire and we'll talk over dinner. It's getting kinda late," he said. 'You've grown so much Lina,' he thought sadly as they began looking for firewood.
 
        "So what brings you kids to such a dangerous place?" Laike asked, not taking his eyes off Xellos and Lina.
        "Well we're on an adventure!" Gourry piped up, his mouth full of food.
        Laike laughed maniacally. "Oh that's rich!!! An adventure!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"
        "Actually sir, we're on our way to Meribia to sell this dragon diamond," Xellos said.
        Lina bopped him on the head. "Xel! Don't tell him that!!! He'll try to steal it!!!!"
        This caused another laugh from the odd bearded man in the red beret. "I'm no thief missy," he said, "you needed worry about that. A dragon diamond you say?"
        "Yeah we got it from Quark the White Dragon himself," Nall said proudly.
        "Quark?!" Laike asked, surprised. "You passed the White Dragon's trial?!"
        "I guess we did," Xellos said sheepishly rubbing his head.
        "Don't tell me one of you wants to be Dragonmaster," Laike said. 'This boy... could he be the next one?'
        "Yeah! Xel's always wishing that he could be like that Dennis guy," Gourry said.
        "It's Dynast, Gourry!" Nall corrected him.
        Laike's face became serious. "Xellos," he began, "is that what you really want? You'll have to pass the trials of the other dragons. Not to mention the possible hardships lying ahead." He glanced over to Lina, remembering his own personal hardship. Especially that day fifteen years ago.
        "I've thought about it, but I'm not really good enough to be Dragonmaster."
        Laike laughed. "Oh I'd doubt that Xel-kun, you have a lot of potential, but just remember that like life, the road to becoming Dragonmaster is never easy."
        "I will. Thank you Laike-san," Xellos said, unable to shake the feeling that he'd seen the man somewhere before.
 
        The next day, they woke to find Laike was gone.
        "Hey! Where'd the old guy go?" Nall asked, sleepily.
        "What old guy?" Gourry asked, completely forgetting what happened the day before. Lina began to beat the blond.
        "Geez, keep that up Lina, and Gourry'll lose more of his brain cells," Nall piped up, "What little he has left that is."
        "Let's get going guys," Xellos said after finished clearing up the fire.
 
        
        After some more monster bashing and some more treasure, the three made their way out of the Weird Woods and to the port town of Saith. After a quick exploration of the town at Lina's insistence, she wanted to see if anyone left anything valuable lying around, they made their way to the docks.
        "You kids looking for a ship to Meribia?" the dock master asked.
        "Yep, that's right," Lina said happily.
        "Why are we going there, Lina?" her blond companion asked, perplexed. This, of course, caused him to get another beating by the redhead.
        "I hate to tell ya, but the captain lost the sea chart and there's no other ship due for months," the dock master told them.
        "Gee that's too bad," Nall said, "We've been having nothing but bad luck so far."
        "It'll be okay Nall," Xellos said, "Let's talk to the captain maybe he knows what happened to the chart."
 
        After learning from the captain that he lost the sea chart to a gambler named Brett, the group headed to the local tavern in search of the guy.
        "What're you kids doin' in here?" the barkeep said, noticing the newcomers.
        "We're looking for a man named Brett," Xellos said.
        "Brett? I'd stay away from 'im if I was you. He's cheated more people outta their money than I've got fingers 'n' toes."
        "Just tell us if he's here or not!" Lina said grabbing the man.
        The barkeep gulped. "Um... sure miss. He's right there in the corner."
        At said corner table, sat a scruffy looking man drinking a mug of beer. "You Brett?" Lina asked.
        "Sure am little lady," he said with a southern accent. "You wan' me to buy ya'll a drink?"
        "We heard you won the sea chart off the captain of the Hispanolia," Xellos said, putting himself between Lina and Brett's wandering hands.
        "Sea chart? Oh yeah that ol' piece of paper the cap'n had. What ya'll want with that?"
        "Could you let us have it?" Lina asked sweetly, pouring on the charm.
        "I could sugar, but ya'll see that bit of paper took a long time for me ta get it."
        "How much?" Nall said, expecting something like this.
        "I ain't selling it kitty cat. What I'm sayin' is I'll bet ya'll for it." He held up a coin. "If ya'll win, I'll give ya'll the chart."
        "I don't know about this guys," Nall said.
        "We gotta have the chart or we'll never get to Meribia," Lina complained.
        Resigning himself, Xellos agreed. "All right, we'll gamble for it."
        After two times at losing, Gourry pulled his friends aside. "Guys I think he's cheating us," he said.
        "Gee Gourry, what gave you that brilliant idea?" Lina queried sarcastically.
        "Let me try something," the blond said and before they knew what was going on, he grabbed the dragon diamond and went back up to Brett.
        "Ya'll still wanna try?" the gambler asked.
        "How about we bet this against the chart?" Gourry said placing the diamond on the table.
        "Hoo-whee that sho' is a big rock kid. Ya'll got yo'self a bet."
        "Gourry! Have you lost your mind?!" Xellos and Lina said in shock.
        When both men made their choices, Brett flipped the coin, but before it could land on the table, the blond grabbed it. "Hey! What're ya'll doin'?!" the gambler yelled.
        "I knew you were cheating," Gourry said, holding up a two headed coin.
        Lina had to do a double take. "How'd you know Gourry?"
        "The coin made a different sound than a real one," the blond replied.
        "Ok, ok. You got me. Here's your money back," Brett said dropping his phony accent and handing him their money. "You're not gonna hurt me are you?"
        "Not if you give us the chart too," Lina said, grinning evilly.
        "Wish I could little lady, but I don't have it."
        "NANI?!!!" they all said.
        Brett started shaking. "I... uh... traded it to some old hag northwest of here for a fortune cane."
        "Wonderful," the redhead muttered.
        "Listen I really don't need this thing anyway so why don't you kids try trading it back for the chart." The gambler then handed them the fortune cane.
        "Well, I guess we have no choice if we want to get to Meribia," Xellos said.
        Sighing, Lina left the tavern with the others, muttering under her breath about more walking.
 
 
        Meanwhile back at Dynast's monument in Burg, Laike was standing looking at the scenery. "Has it really been fifteen years?" he said remembering a certain fateful day. "I hope you'll take good care of her Xellos. You have no idea just how special Lina really is."
 
 
        After a treacherous hike through the forest surrounding the old hag's home, Xellos-tachi came to rest a bit on a path littered with baskets set up as traps.
        "Not more traps," Lina whined, "I'm sick of fighting monsters every time I open a treasure chest."
        "Well, if you'd listen to us in the first place and not be so greedy, you wouldn't have to," Nall retorted.
        "How was I supposed to know they'd be trapped?!"
        "Um... guys one of those things just moved," Gourry said pointing to a tripped trap.
        "You guys take care of it, I'm pooped," the redhead said.
        "Could whoever's out there get me out of this thing?!" a voice came from the basket.
        Gourry, being the good guy he was went up to the basket and tried to lift it. "This thing sure is heavy. Could you guys help?"
        "It could be a monster," Nall said.
        "A talking monster? I don't think it is," Xellos said.
        "I'm not a monster! Please get me out!" the trapped person called.
        "Well it's your funeral if it is," Lina said and helped the boys with the basket.
        To her relief, a rather good looking boy about their age emerged from the trap. He had pale skin, lavender hair and a pair of piercing blue eyes. He brought out a comb and ran it through his hair before turning back to his saviors.
        "Hi there. I'm Zelgadis, a level three apprentice of the great Magic City of Vane that protects the Goddess Tower. This place can be a bit dangerous so watch your step ok?" He turned to leave.
        Lina was about to give the guy a piece of her mind, when Nall did it for her. "Hey how about thanking us?!" he called.
        "I have no idea what you're talking about cat," Zelgadis said.
        "Did you hurt your head?" Gourry asked, "We helped you out of that trap," he explained indicating the basket.
        "Oh that. Well I really didn't need your help. I was just investigating how such a primitive device worked."
        "Yeah I bet," Lina muttered under her breath.
        Zelgadis turned to say something caustic when he noticed that the person who dared to speak to him like that was a girl. "Have we met?" he asked, "I'm certain we've met before."
        Lina blushed not believing this jerk of a guy was hitting on her. "I don't think so. I'd remember a jerk like you," she said.
        "I'm Gourry," the blond said, "and that's Xellos and Lina."
        "Hi," the purple haired boy said.
        "I'm Nall," the white cat like creature added, "and she's spoken for pal."
        "You must be here for a reason or you wouldn't be wondering around a place like this," Zelgadis said ignoring them.
        "We're trying to find this hag so we can get to Meribia," Lina said.
        "Meribia? How interesting," the lavender haired boy said, "I was going to Meribia myself once my business was completed here. How about if we travel together?"
        Lina wanted to tell him off, but Xellos pulled her aside. "Lina-chan, if he really is an apprentice from Vane, we could use his help with those monsters."
        "But he's such a jerk," she complained. Sighing she gave in. "Ok, but I don't have to like it."
        "That'd be great Zelgadis," Xellos said, "We could use someone with magic against those monsters."
        "Well, I'm glad you've got enough sense to accept my generous offer. How you peasants got this far without magic is way beyond me." Lina bristled, but suffered in silence at Zelgadis' attitude.
 
        Once they succeeded at trading Zelgadis' water cane for the chart, the band of four returned to Saith and handed over the piece of paper to the captain. But they've yet hit another snag.
        "I'd love ta take ya to Meribia mateys, but ya see there be a sea monster attacking me ship and eatin' me cargo of fresh fish," the captain said explaining why he refused to set sail.
        "Did you say fish?" Nall asked. "That's no fair!!! How can it keep all that delicious fish to itself! Let's teach it a lesson, Xel!"
        "Here we go again," Lina said shaking her head. Nall just loved fish, in fact it was his favorite food. 
        A huge blob like creature was indeed on the ship's deck and happily devouring the fish stored there.
        "I'd like to get to Meribia as soon as possible, so I guess I have no choice but to take care of this," Zelgadis said.
        "Hold on a sec! Are you nuts?!" Lina said grabbing hold of the apprentice. "That's one huge monster!"
        "Maybe if we all helped, we can be it," Gourry said.
        Seeing that it was either fight the monster or go back home and wait, the group strode up the plank. "Let's get this over with, I'm really getting tired," Lina said. With that they began fighting.
 
        When the 'snag' was taken care of, the captain began preparations for departure. Lina stood at one of the piers, staring at the sea.
        "What's wrong, Lina?" Xellos asked.
        "So, you're really going through with it?" she asked not turning around.
        "I'd like to become a dragonmaster, Lina. This is my only chance to try. Besides you and Gourry'd get lonely without me and Nall."
        Lina brushed a hand across her eyes, hiding the tears she'd been crying earlier. "Xel, I miss Mom and Dad. I'm not going with you tomorrow."
        "What?! But you were so excited at going to Meribia," Xellos said in shock.
        "I know, but I'm tired of always getting you boys out of trouble and fighting monsters. I want to go home."
        Xellos hugged his adopted sister, sensing she needed the comfort. "You sure Lina-chan?"
        "Yeah. I'll miss you and Gourry, but I've decided I'm just not cut out for adventuring."
        "I'll miss you too," he said trying hard not to cry himself. The two had always been together for the past fifteen years and now they be apart for the first time in their lives.
        "Hey! It's not going to be forever. I mean you'll come back once you become a dragonmaster, right?"
        "I definitely will, Lina," Xellos said still hugging her, "I'd miss you too much."
        For some reason she blushed. "Let's get some rest. I don't want to be too tired to see you guys off tomorrow."
        Lina and Xellos joined the rest of their friends and headed for the inn.
 
        In the morning, Lina stood on the dock watching her friends as they looked excitedly around the ship. "Have a great time in Meribia guys!" she called out. "And for L-sama's sake be careful Xel!!!"
        The ship's bell sounded and moments later the Hispanolia began to move.
        "Lina! You've got to come with us!" Xellos called.
        "Xel... I..." she said starting to run after the boat.
        "We've hardly started this adventure," the purple haired boy called running along the deck. "It'll mean nothing if you're not here with me."
        "Xel..." Lina blushed, hoping he'd think it was from her running.
        Xellos stood on the railing, holding onto the nearby rigging and stretching out his hand, "Come with us Lina!"
        The red haired girl hesitated for a second, but forced herself to make up her mind and with a great amount of strength leapt off the end of the deck and caught his hand and the last moment.
        Pulling her aboard, Xellos then gave her a great big hug. "I knew you couldn't leave me, Lina-chan."
        "Hmph. I can't leave you Xel. That jerk Zelgadis can't even take care of himself and Gourry's got jellyfish for brains so who's going to take care of you?" she replied hugging him back.
        "Well you've got a point there," he said smiling. "You want to look around?" he asked when they caught their breath.
        "Sure why not!" she said eagerly.
 
 
Well here's part two minna!! Hope you liked it. ^_^
If so, then let me know. I just adore feedback!!!
 
Zel: I appreciate it you made me human for this but why such a stuck up jerk?
 
Sakura: You'd rather be stuck in another yaoi with Xel AND Rezo?
 
Xel: I'd be very glad to volunteer! ^_^
 
Zel: Uh... nevermind.
 
Sakura: It's good to be the miko! (insert Naga laugh here)