Slayers Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Lunar ❯ Chapter 4

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Lunar
Part 4: The Magic City of  'Vain'
 
        After saying their goodbyes to Gourry, Xellos, Lina and Nall met Zelgadis at the city gates. "So did you finish your sightseeing?" The lavender haired boy asked.
        "You said something about a magic guild," Lina said, reminding herself why they had to be talking to this stuck up jerk.
        "Have you decided to take up on my offer?" Zelgadis queried hoping she would.
        "We're just curious," Xellos said, causing the other boy's hair to bristle.
        "You're the one who wants to be Dragonmaster right? Well I guess I'll have to introduce you to Rezo then," Zelgadis said not too happy that Lina had brought the purple haired boy.
        "Rezo?!" Nall said amazed, "You know Rezo?!"
        "Of course I do cat! He's my teacher and the head of the Magic Guild." Zelgadis puffed up his chest, proud of being Rezo's only pupil.
        "That would make sense," Lina said. "He said he was a student."
        "So are you kiddies coming or not?" the egotistical member of Vane said impatiently.
        "I guess it wouldn't hurt to go," Xellos said, secretly excited to meet another of the Four Heroes.
        "Then it's settled." Before they knew it, the group was far from Meribia on the road leading to Vane.
 
        "It's tricky for you commoners to get to Vane," Zelgadis pointed out when they came to a tall tower.
        "Oh yeah, and why's that?" Nall asked, not too pleased with being called a commoner.
        "Look up there kitty cat and you'll see why," Zelgadis said turning his  head to the sky.
        The others looked up and saw a giant island floating above them, circling the tower. Lina's jaw dropped. They could see buildings on the island, making up a small city.
        With a smug look on his face, the lavender haired boy said in a proud voice, "Behold the Magic City of Vane."
        "It should be the 'Magic City of Vain'," Nall muttered under his breath.
        "No wonder it's tricky," Xellos said, "So, Zelgadis-san who do we get up there?"
        "Glad you asked. There's a Spring of Transmission just south of here."
        "Spring of Transmission?" Lina asked, her curiosity piqued.
        "For you non-magic types, it's hard to explain." Zelgadis said, managing to insult Nall again, "It's best if you went and saw for yourselves."
 
 
        After a couple more hours of walking, they reached a small meadow surrounded by trees. In the center were two springs, one was completely dry and filled with stones, which formed the shape of a pentacle.
        "This is the Spring of Transmission," Zelgadis said, going ahead to speak with an old man standing nearby the dry spring. "Hold on a sec while I arrange for you to go up."
        "Oh Hello, Zelgadis-kun," the old man said.
        "Hello Rodimus. I've brought some new applicants for the Magic Guild."
        "Well that's too bad," the old man said shaking his head.
        "What do you mean? Has something happened to Vane?"
        "No not at all, it's just that there's been rumors that the Magic Emperor is on the lose again. Phil-sama tightened the security a bit."
        "Oh so that means that no new students for a while. That is too bad. I brought a really talented girl too." Nash sighed.
        "Hold on a sec there son. I didn't say we can't accept any new students. It's just that they need applications from Miss Sylphiel at L-sama's shrine in order to go to the city," Rodimus explained.
        "Oh I see. Well thanks for the info Rodimus."
        "You're welcome Zelgadis-kun."
 
        Of course Nall and Lina weren't too happy about having to walk back to the tower, but if they really wanted to go to Vane, they would have no other choice. So they begrudgingly hiked back to the tower which was one of the few shrines to the mysterious goddess of Lunar known only as L-sama.
        After a small donation and a rest spell from the priestess at the door, the group entered the shrine. The hall was lined with marble columns and statues of the goddess doing various things. Some were singing, others dancing and some stood regally holding a shovel in one hand. A red carpet ran the length of the hall way leading to the main shrine in the back.
        One of the priestesses came up to Zelgadis and asked their business. After explaining, he left the others to go fetch Sylphiel, the head priestess at the shrine. Another priestess was roaming the hall muttering to herself about the disappearance of her sister, one Firia Ul Copt.
A few moments later, the lavender haired apprentice returned followed by a pale skinned woman with purple hair in a style that oddly matched Xellos' dressed in the gold and black robes of L-sama.
        Smiling, she began to speak. "Konnichi wa minna, and welcome. I am Sylphiel the head preistess here. I was told that you wish to be the new Dragonmaster, Xellos-kun. I hope that you choose to stay at Vane and become one of L-sama's guardians. As you know we haven't had a Dragonmaster since Dynast disappeared."
        "We'd like an application for the Magic Guild, please," Lina said not wishing to seem rude while in a hurry. She was getting hungry and she hated missing lunch.
        "Oh of course, dear how silly of me to forget. Here you go," she said handing them their applications. "Your name is Lina is is not?"
        "Yes," Lina replied shyly.
        "I hear you have a beautiful singing voice, I should like to hear it sometime."
        "Thank you, Sylphiel-san." A slight blush came to the redhead's face.
        "I hate to be in such a hurry but I really should be reporting to Rezo-sensei," Zelgadis said ushering the two toward the door."
        A look of disappointment came on the priestess' face. "Oh dear, and I was hoping you'd all stay for tea. Perhaps some other time then."
        They all bowed and waved good by to the purple haired priestess and hiked back to the Spring of Transmission.
 
        After handing over the applications, Lina and Xellos stepped on to the pentacle and instead of finding themselves in the city, they were in a cave.
        "Hey what's going on?!" Lina said. "Where's the city?!"
        Zelgadis appeared next to her. "Oops. I forgot to tell you before anyone can enter the city, they have to go through the Cave of Trial first. But I'm sure you'll be able to pass it easily, Miss Lina."
        "You should have warned us!!" the white dragon on Xellos' shoulder yelled.
        "It can't be helped Nall, let's just get going," Xellos said, not too pleased with the situation himself.
        "That's the spirit kiddo! I'll be waiting for you at the guild. It's the biggest building in the city so you can't possibly miss it." With that, the lavender haired boy vanished.
        "If his ego's so big we probably won't even be able to see anything up there," Nall muttered.
        "I don't particularly like his attitude anymore than you do Nall, but we've got to get out of this cave," Lina said, walking off the pentacle on the ground.
        "Lina! Wait!" Xellos called after her.
 
        Once they narrowly escaped the giant mushroom monster in the Cave of Trial and ransacked the chests, at Lina's insistence of course, the travelers emerged from a tiny little hut on the edge of the city.
        "Whoah we're up really high!" Nall exclaimed looking down at the ground far below.
        "You're right Nall I can't see any people from up here," Xellos remarked.
        "Will you get away from there Xellos!" Lina said, pulling the purple haired boy away from the edge. "If you fell and got killed, your mom would never forgive me."
        The city of Vane sprawled out before them, elegant houses lined the streets and in the north stood an enormous mansion. "Boy Zelgadis was right! We couldn't possibly miss that!" Nall exclaimed and whistled as he looked at the building. "I bet it's so big because all the people there need room for their big egos."
        "Nall! That's not nice!" Lina scolded, stifling a giggle.
        "Yeah, but I bet it's true!"
        "Enough you two," Xellos said, "I'm a bit tired. How about we go see if there's a statue of L-sama nearby and then look around a bit."
        "Sure Xel! I'm gonna find a nice restaurant; I'm starved!"
        "Yare, yare," Xellos muttered as the petite redhead ran off in search of food.
 
 
        They finally made their way to the huge mansion that was the city's Magic Guild once they had gotten Lina away from the restaurant and checked out the local shops and library. After a hit and run with one late student, Xellos and Lina were greeted in the front hall by Zelgadis.
        "You've passed the Cave of Trial I see," he said, surprised that Xellos had indeed made it out alive.
        "No thanks to you," Lina said, "I'm really getting sick of all these monsters and dungeons."
        "I'm really sorry about that, but there are rumors that the Magic Emperor's back," Zelgadis apologized. "This city protects the goddess tower you know. We can't let anyone like him get close."
        "I guess," Lina said.
        "If you're tired, you can rest upstairs while I tell Rezo-sensei you're here."
        "Thanks. I am a bit tired," Lina replied. "You coming Xel?"
        "I think we'll look around a bit," the purple haired boy said, curious about the place.
        "Suit yourself. Just come upstairs when you're ready to meet Rezo-sensei. Just don't get in anyone's way. There are classes going on."
        "Don't take too long, Xel," Lina said as she let the lavender haired boy lead her down the hall and up the stairs.
 
        While Xellos and Nall were busy exploring the Magic Guild, Lina sat in what looked like some sort of lounge. She was about to go and ask someone for a drink, when she heard the tune she and Xellos were practicing playing outside. Curious she got up and walked through the glass French doors to the back.
        Sitting on a bench by a crystal clear pool was a tall man with spiky hair of light purple. He was wearing a simple outfit of a dark red tunic and black trousers. He had the strangest eyes she'd ever seen. One was purple, like Xellos' but the other was an odd gold color and slightly slitted. Upon sensing he was being watched, he stopped playing his lute and gently set it down beside him. 
        Lina blushed, feeling a bit uncomfortable under the man's intense gaze. "I-I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to interrupt you," the petite redhead stammered. "I... um... just thought it was someone I knew playing. We... we were practicing that tune for the goddess festival this year." Lina prayed that she didn't sound silly; she just hated that.
        He continued to stare at the still blushing girl, his eyes never leaving her. A barely perceptible smile appeared on his face. "That's all right," he said in a intrigued tone. 
                         
        After exploring the lower classrooms and a surprise visit from the fortuneteller Martina, Xellos and Nall made their way to the west wing of the guild. Hearing soft sobbing sounds coming one of the bedrooms on the second floor, the purple haired boy carefully opened the door, curious.
        It was dark inside, but the sun coming through the drapery covered windows provided enough light to see by. A small table and a couple chairs stood in the center of the room. There was also a comfortable looking window seat. A small bookcase filled with books leaned against the wall nearby.
        The sobbing came from another part of the room. Investigating, the boy and cat like dragon saw a small figure lying on a four poster canopy bed, crying. A large wardrobe stood in one corner above the bed.
        The figure sat up. It was a girl about a year or two younger than Lina. She was wearing a off white ensemble with pink trim along the tunic top and pentacle bracelets. She had short spiky black hair that stook out on both sides, her blue eyes slightly red from crying. Wiping away a stray tear, she spoke. "I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling well enough to go to school today." Looking up she saw that it wasn't one of the palace servants sent by her father to fetch her. "I'm sorry I thought you were sent by my father. My name's Amelia. Amelia Wil Tesla Seiruun. What's yours?"
        "We're sorry to bother you Amelia-san," Xellos said, "I'm Xellos Metallium. This is Nall."
        "I hope you feel better, miss," Nall said.
        "Oh what a kawaii little kitty!" exclaimed the black haired girl, petting the dragon's head.
        "Hey! Why does everyone have to call me a cat!"
        "Oops I'm sorry, Nall-san, but you do look like one."
        Xellos couldn't help chuckling a bit. The little white dragon certainly did resemble a cat, even if he did have wings. "Why were you crying Amelia-san?" Xellos asked.
        "It's my daddy. He used to be such a nice guy and now, he's always yelling at people," the girl said, hugging a ratty old bear.
        "Zelgadis did say something about a Magic Emperor running around. So maybe he's just worried about that," Nall suggested.
        Amelia sniffled before answering. "Maybe you're right. But I'm still worried. Being a Champion of Justice and Prince of Vane is such a hard job."
        Nall decided to cheer the girl up by telling some of his jokes, which she laughed at even if most of them weren't that funny, and Xellos told her about his quest to become the next Dragonmaster and his adventures with Lina along the way.
        Amelia listened eagerly and approved of the 'punishment' they dealt to the shopkeeper in Meribia. "That was a very just thing for you to do, Xellos-san. That merchant didn't deserve to have a shop!" She was smiling more now.
         Just then the door to the girl's suite burst open.
        "Just what are you doing in Amelia-sama's room!" a rather surprised and somewhat jealous Zelgadis yelled upon seeing the purple haired boy near the bed. "I've been looking all over for you. Rezo-sensei wishes to see you." Before he could explain, Xellos found himself being pulled from Amelia's rooms and back to the upper east wing.
        "It was really nice meeting you Xellos-san. Thanks for cheering me up!" the black haired girl called. "What's this?" She picked up piece of paper that Zelgadis had dropped.
        Looking at it, she blushed. "Oh my! I didn't know Zel-kun had this." It was a picture of her leaning against a doorway in one of the many rooms of the guild and she was adjusting her sock that had fallen down.
 
 
 
I just adore feedback minna so tell me whatcha think!!!
 
Sakura: Whoo-hoo!! Almost all the major players are in place!!!
 
Zel: Of all people, you had to go and make Rezo my teacher. What did I ever do to you to deserve this?
 
Xel: Sore wa...
 
Koppii: (bops Xel with his staff) I'm glad you picked me over the original.
 
Sakura: Just be grateful I'm a sucker for guys with odd matching eyes.
 
Lina: You're really the lucky one Zel. You don't have the fruitcake for a love interest.
 
Zel: Don't remind me.
 
Xel: I never thought you'd be the jealous type, Zel-chan.
 
Zel: Urusai!!!
 
Sakura: Behave you two! I don't wanna have to clean up again like the last time you got into a fight. (eyes Xel) You, stop baiting him. And Zel, for the umpteenth time, just ignore him! Mou!
Anyhoo stay tuned for another exciting episode of...
 
Xel: Pokemon: the Yaoi Journeys!!
 
Sakura: (whaps Xel)
 
Xel: Arigatou miko-sama. Can I have some more?
 
Sakura: Yare, yare. As I was saying, stick around for the next thrilling part of...
 
Koppii: Slayers Lunar starring the magnificent Koppii Rezo!!
 
Slayers: Lemme see that! (Grabs Koppii's staff and whacks him) You're lucky I even thought of you! Just remember whose miko I am.
 
Koppii: Um... gomen?
 
Sakura: That's better. Now run along and do... whatever it is you do when you're not in a fic.