Slayers Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Lunar ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Lunar
Part 5: A Meeting With Rezo and a Game of Hide and Seek
 
        Lina looked up as she heard the door open. "Well you sure took your time looking around Xel," she said bored out of her mind.
        "Rezo-sensei will see you now miss Lina," Zelgadis said moving aside to let the redhead pass. "Oh and he wants to see you too though I can’t see why," he added to Xelloss.
        They followed the lavender haired boy to the next room. He knocked and a voice called from inside, "Come in."
        "These are the people I was telling you about Rezo-sensei," Zelgadis said moving off to the side of the desk feeling a bit intimidated.
        A purple haired man dressed in red robes was standing at one of the back windows. Turning around he eyed the two intently. Lina gasped recognizing the person she’d met earlier. "You must be Xelloss," he said focusing on the purple haired boy for the moment. "I’ve heard a lot about you from Zelgadis here. Is it true that you passed the White Dragon’s trial boy?"
        Rezo’s oddly matched eyes gave Xelloss a slightly uneasy feeling. He wasn’t sure why, maybe it was because he was one of Dynast’s friends and fellow adventurers. Swallowing, he replied, "Yes, sir. I did. Here is the ring we found in the cave." He then handed over the ring to the headmaster.
        "I see so it is true then. You seek to become the next Dragonmaster," It was more of a statement than a question.
        "Well I never really thought about it, but I guess I am," Xelloss said rubbing the back of his head, suddenly shy.
        Rezo went back to staring out the window, hiding the uneasiness on his face. ‘This could be a problem,’ he thought. ‘If he does become the next Dragonmaster, it could ruin my plans.’
        "Perhaps, you’d like to stay here and study magic with us instead," Rezo said hoping that the purple haired boy would change his mind. "The other trials are not so easy."
        Xelloss thought for a while and so did Lina. She too also never really thought about what would happen if her ‘brother’ did become a Dragonmaster, but whatever he did decide, she would respect and stay with him regardless, to keep him out of trouble, of course. "If you don’t mind sir, but I think I’m going to try and become a Dragonmaster." Xelloss said.
        "I see. If that is what you wish." Rezo did not like this turn of events one bit. "A good Dragonmaster needs to be strong so perhaps you could get some training and help me as well."
        "What do you mean sir?" Lina asked.
        The headmaster smiled at her and the petite redhead blushed. "I have been receiving rumors of a new Dragonmaster seen in some fishing village to the west. What was it called again?"
        "Um… Lann sir," Zelgadis supplied.
        "Thank you, Zelgadis. Yes Lann. I’d like for you to escort my apprentice here and investigate these rumors for me."
        "Rezo-sensei, do you think it’ll be too dangerous for Miss Lina to go?" Zelgadis asked, backing away as his teacher turned his gaze on him.
        Rezo smiled. "Perhaps it will, but she and her companion were able to pass through the Cave of Trial were they not?" Lina blushed, being in the center of their attention all of a sudden.
        Zelgadis nodded, not daring to show his displeasure at having to travel with Xelloss. But he was Rezo’s apprentice and had to obey his orders whether he liked them or not.
        "The way to Lann is through the mountain pass of Nanza."
        "Thank you so much for meeting with us sir," Lina said bowing, sensing they had been dismissed. "We’re sorry to have bothered you."
        "Don’t trouble yourself, Lina-san. I always enjoy meeting new and interesting people as yourselves," he said politely kissing her hand and making her blush.
        Nall, who’d been quiet the whole time, cleared his throat. "Can we go now? I’m getting hungry."

        Once they had purchased some supplies and new equipment for the lavender haired boy, the motley group of travelers left Vane and headed for Nanza. When they reached the eastern entrance to the mountain pass, Zelgadis made them stop.
        "Are you sure you want to go Lina? I hear the monsters around here are pretty tough," he said hoping Xelloss would chicken out.
        "Xel can whup them good," Nall said puffing his little furry chest in pride. "He did pass the White Dragon’s trial after all, and he’s gonna be Dragonmaster."
        "That’s what you say, cat."
        "What’s that supposed to mean?!"
        "That’s enough Nall. Zel-san’s only concerned that’s all," Lina said, scolding the tiny dragon. Sighing Xelloss glanced around then carefully entered the pass.

        Zelgadis wasn’t kidding when he said the monsters were tough. It took them practically all day just to reach the fortress of Nanza. After encountering a loudly cursing drunk on the walkway above, and some schmoozing from Zelgadis, they managed to get through the east gate.
        "Let us pass. We’re on a mission for the Magic Guild," Zelgadis demanded when the guard at the west gate didn’t move out of his way.
        "Sorry no can do, junior. Ain’t nobody getting pass without boss Val’s say so."
        "Didn’t you hear what I said? We’re from…" Zelgadis said, completely insulted. No one had ever dared call him ‘junior’.
        "I don’t care if you’re from the Blue Star, if you ain’t got permission then you ain’t getting through."
        "Where is the boss?" Xelloss asked eager to avoid a scene.
        "Didn’t you see him as you came in? He was up there on the walk a couple secs ago," the guard informed him.
        Their jaws dropped with that bit of information. The drunk they’d seen just moments before was the leader. Shaking their heads, our heroes went in search of the elusive Val.
        "I can’t believe we have to ask permission from that guy!" Zelgadis said, disgusted.
        "If he’s the leader, then this place is in deep," Lina added.

        "Darn it! He’s not here," Nall said when they reached the spot where they first saw the drunken leader.
        "You kids looking for the boss?" a nearby sentry asked. "I saw him headed for the east tower."
        "Thanks," Xellos asked and followed the walkway to a tower on the eastern edge of the camp.
        "He’s not here either," Lina said, grumbling and getting tired of all the walking they’ve been doing lately.
        "Are you looking for Val-niichan?" a little girl asked. "He went downstairs to get me some ice cream," she said happily.
        "That’s hard to believe. A drunk getting ice cream for a kid," Zelgadis muttered as they climbed down the stairs.
        Underneath the fortress was a huge cavern sectioned off to make several rooms. Following their noses, Nall and Lina led the others toward the smell of food cooking. After helping themselves to the local cuisine, they continued their search for Valgarv.
        "Can you believe that guy!" one of the women sitting at a table said.
        "I know Val was a real pig, stuffing himself like that," her friend added.
        "Um… pardon me ladies, did you see where this Val went?" Zelgadis asked, trying not to pay too much attention to their low cut clothing.
        "You looking for him?" the first woman asked.
        "Why don’t you join us for a drink cutie?" the second asked, grasping the lavender haired boy’s arm.
        "Uh… no thank you, ma’am." Zelgadis backed away.
        "We’re really in a hurry here," Lina said, conveniently placing herself between another woman, who’d been eyeing Xelloss, and the purple haired boy.
        "Hmph," the third woman said, disappointed that she didn’t get her hooks on the kawaii boy behind the redhead. "I think I saw him head for his room."
        "Thanks!" called Nall as they dashed off toward the living quarters.
        "Ugh! What a mess!" Lina said, looking around what looked like a hurricane disaster area.
        "Well guess this guy’s not here either," Nall said, wrinkling his nose at the smell of sweat and old socks.

        After searching the rest of the cavern, the group was about to head back upstairs when they heard a low roar coming from what was the jail.
        "W-what was that?" Zelgadis asked not bothering to hide his unease.
        "You kids better get outta here," the guard at the entrance said, "You don’t wanna make the… uh… dragon mad. Yeah that’s it the boss keeps his pet dragon down here so you’d better not mess with it."
        "A dragon?!" Nall asked, surprised. "Maybe it’s one of the other dragons we have to see."
        "Nall hold on!" Xelloss said when the baby dragon flew toward the roaring.
        "Xel just what do you think you’re doing?!" Lina shouted, running after him. Sighing, Zelgadis followed his friends into the jail.
        "Kids these days," muttered the guard, "they just don’t listen."
        Inside one of the cells, laid the drunk they’d seen earlier out cold. His aqua colored hair covered in dust and his clothes were stained with beer. He would have been considered handsome if he wasn’t such a mess. They realized that the roaring was actually the snores coming from his wide-open mouth.
        "Some dragon," Nall muttered in disappointment.
        Just then, the man in the cell sat up, a goofy grin on his face. "Hoo-boy! Watta night! Those girls sure know how to pah-tay!" He suddenly leaned forward, his glassy gaze fixed on the lavender haired boy. "Hey baby you’re cute! Wanna have some fun?"
        Zelgadis quickly backed away. "I’m not like that!" he shouted. Fortunately for him, the drunk had already passed out again.
        "I’m really sorry you had to see him like this," the guard said coming up behind them. "The boss just broke up with his girlfriend and well you know how it is when ya lose yer head over a girl."
        "You don’t mean that this is…" Zelgadis started to say.
        "Yep that’s our boss Valgarv," the guard finished.
        "Great, just great. Now we’re stuck here until he sobers up," the lavender haired boy muttered, not looking forward to another of Valgarv’s drunken advances.
        "You kids wanna get through the west gate, right? Tell ya what. I’ll go tell Gravos to letcha pass if you don’t mention this to anyone," the guard said feeling sorry for the group.
        "Thank you very much, sir," Lina said, relieved to be leaving the drunk Valgarv behind.
        After leaving the fortress of Nanza, Xelloss and Co. continued their journey to Lann.

Whoo-hoo!!! Got part 5 up in time!!!!! Just one more hero to go!!!! As usual any C&C is greatly welcomed. So pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaase lemme know what you think! Just click here!
 
Zel: I see you’re still going to torment me.
 
Xel: Oh poor Zelly! Want me to make it better.
 
Lina: Xelloss, can I speak with you for a sec?
 
Xel: Sure Lina-chan, what’s on your mind?
 
Lina: Fireball!!!!!!!!!!
 
Zel: Thank you.
 
Lina: You’re welcome, Zel.
 
Sakura: Lina!!!! How many times do I have to tell you not inside!!!!!!
 
Lina: eep
 
Val: Heh! You’re in for it now.
 
Lina: Oh shut up horn boy!!!
 
Val: Why you $%@!^(&@#)*_+!!!!!!
 
Sakura: Val!!!! Curb the language!!!! There’re kids reading this!!
 
Val: Oi! What’s the big idea making me a lush?! I don’t even (bleep) drink!!
 
Sakura: Gomen Val-chan. But I’m trying to stick to the script in the game here. ‘Sides you’re kinda cute like that.
 
Val: (blushes) You think?
 
Sakura: Definitely. Cya next month kiddies!!!! ^_^