Slayers Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Lunar ❯ Chapter 11

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Lunar
Part 11: Home, Home on the Range
By Sakura

After what seemed like an eternity, the group finally made it to the exit of the Tamur Pass only to be stopped by a black clad woman.
“Eris!” Firia growled, wasting no time in whipping out her mace. “You’ll pay for what you did to my dad!”
“Oh really now?” the middle sister of the three villainesses said in amusement. “And what can you children do against me and my… Guards!!!!!!”
Suddenly they were cornered by a group of three armored monsters and a sorcerer. “Heh! No prob,” Valgarv said swiping at one of the armored monsters. Shortly Xellos and the others followed suit with Firia occasionally healing a nasty bruise or two. In no time, the ‘guards’ were defeated.
“Damn you!!! I’ll see you die yet!!” Eris yelled as she conjured more of her minions. This time a group of four of the armored monsters and two sorcerers. “Ha! See if you can get out of this kiddies!” The black haired woman laughed triumphantly.
“Oh boy, the babe doesn’t hold back does she?” the aqua haired boy muttered as he quickly leapt in front of Firia as one of the monsters was about to attack her.
“I could have handled that!” the blonde priestess said, secretly relieved he saved her in the nick of time.
“Sure you could, Fi-chan,” he said, gritting his teeth; the monsters were slightly stronger than the previous bunch. “But we don’t have time for your prayers to be answered.
“Hmph!” she said as she beaned one of the sorcerers with mace-sama.
Panting, the group stood before Eris, her monsters finally defeated. “Give it up Eris,” Xellos said leveling his sword at her. “You’re beaten.”
“I’ll give you this much,” she said as calmly as she could manage, “You’ve definitely improved since Meribia. But I’m afraid this is where it ends.” As with before, another wave of monsters appeared and cornered the heroes. However, this time there were too many for a group of five no matter how strong they may have gotten. “Sayonara brats!” Eris then laughed and vanished, not bothering to see to it that her master’s enemies were indeed defeated.
“Uh-oh,” Valgarv said, still tired from the last bunch.
“’Uh-oh’, he says,” Zelgadis said, sending a thunder spell at the monsters as Amelia began to cast a shield spell.
“Stop arguing and fight!” Xellos said swiping furiously at a few monsters heading his way.
Had Eris stayed, she would have witnessed a blinding flash of light then a couple volleys of arrows shoot seemingly from nowhere and completely vanquish the monsters. Looking up, the group saw a dark haired man dressed in animal skins on horseback on the far end of the canyon cliff. An equally dressed blonde woman was beside him on of all things –a huge wolf. The man smiled at them briefly before clucking his tongue and rode away. The woman stared at them for a moment then followed her companion.
“I wonder who they were,” Amelia said once they were able to catch their breath.
“Who cares, I’m bushed,” Valgarv said slumping against one wall.
“Val no baka!” Firia smacked him with her mace. “They saved our hides so it’s only right we should find out who they were and thank them.”
“Yeah, yeah. But I’m pooped. Can’t we ask later.”
“I am kinda tired Xel,” Nall said, agreeing with the aqua haired boy. “In fact my wings are killing me.
“We’ll take a break in the next town, ok?” the purple haired leader said heading out of the pass.
___________________________________________

The village of Tamur was tiny. It consisted of only a few rickety log buildings and one bar. After a quick healing at the village’s only tourist attraction – a statue of L-sama – and some supply restocking they headed toward the north end, hoping to find some better info on the whereabouts of the last and final dragon.
“Hey there kids. Didn’t expect to find you here,” a man with a beard and red beret said as they were about to exit through the north gate.
“Laike!” Xellos said greeting him. “What are you doing here?”
“Just going to visit a friend who lives nearby. How goes your quest to save Lina?”
Xellos frowned. “No too good sir, all the other dragons have been captured and our airship is in pieces.”
“And we don’t where to find the Black Dragon,” Amelia said sadly.
“Hmm… I see,” Laike said gravely, “That is bad, but were you able to pass the trials?” he asked Xellos. The purple haired boy nodded. “Well then, that’s something to go on. I don’t know where the dragon is, but I do know how to get that contraption of yours fixed.”
“Really?” Amelia asked, her eyes pleading.
“It just happens that my friend Jiiras is an inventor. He just might be able to make you another one of those airships.”
“That’d be wonderful Laike-san,” Firia said, “Where does this Jiiras live?”
“In a tower not too far from here, but there’s a slight catch.”
“I knew it,” Valgarv growled.
The man ignored him. “Jiiras doesn’t like company much and I’m afraid if I take all of you, you’d wind up spooking him.”
“Oh, that’s too bad,” Amelia said. “So what shall we do?”
“I’ll take Xellos-kun,” Laike said.
“Me?!” Xellos asked, surprised.
“It’s been a while since Reza and I’d like to hear exactly what you’ve been up to. I could also give you some pointers with your swordsmanship along the way.”
Xellos looked at the others.
“Go ahead, Xellos-kun,” Amelia said.
“Yeah we won’t mind waitin’,” Valgarv said eager to sample the ‘refreshments’ at the bar.
“Well, ok. I’ll go with you Laike-san.”
“Good. Don’t worry kids, I promise to bring him back in one piece.” Laike then laughed causing Xellos and the others to sweatdrop.
___________________________________________

The trip to Jiiras’ tower was short indeed only a couple hours walk from Tamur. However what took the two so long was the confusing labyrinth of pipes and the monsters inhabiting them. Xellos was exhausted whereas his much older companion hadn’t even broken out in a sweat.
The topmost room was cluttered with bookcases, gears and various what-nots that an inventor required. Toward the back was a large desk, equally cluttered. Sitting at it was a smallish red furred fox with an eye-patch over one eye. Xellos politely cleared his throat.
The fox looked up and then leaned forward to get a better look at the people before him. “Can’t ya read kid? The signs said ‘Keep out! Do not disturb the genius!’ That’s me, Jiiras. I hate noise, and I like people even less. Now get out!” He then went back to reading whatever it was he was reading before.
“It’s good to see you again too, Jiiras,” Laike said chuckling.
“Hmph,” the fox answered. “Last time you were here, I nearly blew the tower up.”
The bearded man laughed. “And whose fault was it for messing with that stuff?”
“Why are you here, Laike? I’m a busy man.”
“I need a favor old friend,” he said.
“Figures,” Jiiras replied. “All right make it quick.”
“Thanks. Xellos-kun here is in need of a flying machine,” he said placing a hand on the boy’s shoulder.
“No way,” Jiiras said looking at Xellos, “That kid’s too weak for such a thing.”
“What if I said he was on a quest to become the next Dragonmaster and defeat the Magic Emperor?”
“I’d say you’re both nuts,” was the fox’s reply, “But if you think this kid can do it, then all right I’ll do it. Only so you’d leave me the heck alone.”
“Thanks a heap, Jiiras. You won’t regret this.”
“Hmph. I’d better not.” The fox then got up and began to search among his books for the plans he drew up a while ago.
“I’ll stay here and lend ol’ Jiiras a hand,” Laike said pulling Xellos aside, “He has a nasty habit of getting distracted. By the way, Xel-kun I did hear a rumor that the last dragon may be some where in the plains south of Tamur. Why don’t you check it out?”
“Thanks Laike-san. I really appreciate this,” he said blushing slightly.
“Thank me by beating that creep, kid. I’m counting on you.”
“I’ll do my best.”
Laike smiled. “I know you will Xel-kun. Good luck. Oh and take the door over there if you want to bypass those monsters.”
Xellos facefaulted. If Laike knew of a way to bypass the monsters, then why hadn’t he said so before?! Sighing the purple haired boy took his friend’s advice and left the tower.

___________________________________________

Xellos arrived at the bar to find Valgarv and Firia completely wasted and an extremely embarrassed Amelia.
“Oh! Xellos-kun! You’re back!” she said relieved.
“Heya buddy! Where’sh the old guy?” Valgarv slurred.
“He’s helping Jiiras build an airship,” he replied even though the other boy probably couldn’t understand him at the moment.
“Oh, that’s wonderful!” Amelia said. “But we still don’t know where to find the Black Dragon.”
“Laike-san mentioned he heard a rumor that the dragon may be south of here,” Xellos explained.
“All right! Lesh get goin’!” Firia said before letting out a rather un-lady like belch.
“Really Firia-san you shouldn’t be drinking so much,” Amelia chided.
“I’m ‘k,” the blonde replied. “Jush a bit ti- ti- shleepy.”
“Yare, yare,” Xellos said “By the way, where’s Zelgadis-kun?”
As if on cue, the lavender haired boy strode through the bar door. “Oh you’re back Xellos-kun. How did it go?”
“What about hish back?” Valgarv asked.
‘Why me?’ Zelgadis thought.
“Laike-san’s helping Jiiras-san build us an airship,” Amelia said, “We were just waiting for you.”
The lavender haired boy looked displeased for a moment but quickly wiped the look off he face. “Any news on the dragon?”
“There’s a rumor he’s in the plains somewhere south of here,” Xellos replied.
“Oh goody more walking then?”
“Where did you go anyway Zel-kun?” Amelia asked.
“I… um… was trying to find out some more information about the area,” he said nervously. “You’d better get to the north end quick though. I was about to tell you something’s going on up there.”
“Oh! We’d better go then,” the black haired girl said. “Come on you two.” She then dragged Firia while Xellos and Zelgadis dragged Valgarv.
“Hey babe, yer cute,” Valgarv said groping Zelgadis. “Wanna have some fun?”
“Yaaaaaaahhhhh! Kindly keep your filthy hands to yourself!” the lavender haired boy said swatting away the taller boy’s roving hands.

At the north end of town, a man was hanging from a post, a crowd stood around him, yelling and jeering.
“That poor man!” Amelia said. “We’ve got to get him down! No matter what he did, it isn’t just!”
“Amelia, he’s probably a criminal. He deserves his punishment,” Zelgadis said.
“But I’m sure he didn’t have a trial! He has to have one so his side of the story can be heard.”
“Amelia, Zelgadis-kun does have a point,” Xellos began.
“I’m cutting him down!” With that the princess then sent a fireball at the hanging man and it burnt the rope, setting him free.
“Just what do you think you’re doing?!” a dark haired man dressed in animal skins demanded. “That man is a criminal! Are you in cahoots with him?!”
“You’re the one from the Tamur pass!” Nall said recognizing him.
“What did he do?” Xellos asked.
“He’s been selling false medicine to the people around here. In case you haven’t known, there is a deadly plague going around.”
“Oh wonderful, what next?” Zelgadis muttered.
“This man was cashing in on the people’s suffering and now you’ve let him get away. Now you must pay for his crimes!” He then drew his bow and fitted an arrow.
“W-wait a minute. We didn’t do anything!” Zelgadis said.
“You allowed a criminal to go free. You must pay,” the man said not lowering his bow.
“Will you let us go if I win?” Xellos asked.
“Are you challenging me boy?” he asked, “Very well then. I will let you and your friends go but only if you defeat me.”
With that, the two began their duel.
Half an hour later, the man lowered his bow, his quiver empty and out of breath. “Enough I yield. You are a true warrior young man. I will let you go.”
“T-Thank you,” Xellos replied, equally exhausted.
“I am Lei and this is Xelas,” the man said indicating the woman who had been by his side the whole time. “We are people of the plains tribe. Should you ever need our help, seek us at the village of Pao. Please take this as a symbol of our respect.” Lei handed Xellos a strange carved necklace. “You are indeed a worthy warrior.”
“I-I can’t take this,” Xellos said seeing that it was hand carved and apparently valuable.
“Are you refusing our gift?” Lei asked. Not wishing to insult the plainsman, Xellos finally accepted the necklace. “We must catch that villain,” Lei said mounting his horse as Xelas mounted her wolf. “However, should you wish to travel southward be careful. The Forest of Illusion is full of powerful monsters.”
“Oh joy,” Zelgadis muttered.
“Thanks again, Lei-san,” Xellos said.
“Take care.” Lei and Xelas then rode off in search of the conman.
“Xellos-kun, let me see that necklace for a second,” Amelia said. After handing it over to the black haired princess, she examined it closely. “I thought so! Doesn’t this carving look like a dragon?” she asked showing it to him.
“Hey! You’re right!” Nall said. “Not only does it look like a dragon, but whatever it’s made of is black!”
“I bet Lei-san knows where to find the Black Dragon,” Amelia said.
“Right,” Xellos said gathering up his pack. “Let’s head south.”
Zelgadis was about to protest, but one look from Amelia, he backed down.

___________________________________________

After hours of hiking through dense underbrush and almost constant monster encounters, the group had set up camp in the only clearing in the forest. “I say we go back,” Zelgadis complained, “There’s absolutely no way out of this forest.”
“Says who?” Valgarv said, “I bet we find the way in the morning. ‘Side’s you just wanna wuss out on us and go back to yer mommy!”
“I’m not ‘wussing out’!” the lavender haired boy retorted. “I’m just being practical.”
“Sure looks like wussing out,” Valgarv spat.
“That’s enough!” Amelia yelled. “The Black Dragon needs our help and so does Ms. Lina! Now shut up you two and go to sleep!”
Both boys gulped and promptly stopped arguing.

___________________________________________

The next day, they were greeted by a couple of plainsmen.
“Are you traveling to the plains?” one asked, “It would be best if you went back.”
“We’re looking for Lei,” Xellos replied. “We have something to ask him.”
“That necklace!” the other said noticing the dragon around Amelia’s neck. “Are you the one who defeated Lei in battle?”
“It was me,” Xellos said, “He gave it to me.”
“Well then,” the first one said, “Allow us to give you safe passage to our village.”
“Thank you,” Amelia said, “We haven’t been able to find a way out.”
“Follow us,” the other plainsman said.
When they came to a patch of bushes slightly different than the rest of the forest, the plainsmen then spoke in an unrecognizable language and the bushes parted allowing them to pass. “Our village is just south of here,” one of them said. “We shall go ahead and inform the guards of your arrival.”
“Woah!” Nall said, “No wonder we couldn’t find a way out.”

___________________________________________

After a short trip through seemingly endless green meadows, they arrived at the plains village of Pao.
“The chief is waiting for you in his tent,” one of the guards said, recognizing the group.
“Thank you,” Xellos said after asking for directions.
“Xellos-kun! What brings you to our fair village?” Lei asked.
“It’s about this necklace,” the purple haired boy began, “It looks like a black dragon and we were looking for one. Do you know where it is?”
Lei frowned. “It has been my people’s sworn duty to protect the Black Dragon. If you intend any harm, I must ask you to leave.”
“We need to warn the dragon about the Magic Emperor,” Nall said, “He’s been targeting the dragons.”
“This is grave news,” Lei said, “I don’t doubt the disappearance of singers, our own included, isn’t connected somehow.”
“A good friend of ours was kidnapped also,” Amelia said, sadly. “She was a singer.”
“Xel-kun here’s trying to become the next Dragonmaster so he can save her,” Firia added.
“I wish you luck, my friend, but alas I can not let you into the fortress. Only members of my tribe are allowed in. No exceptions.”
“I see, thank you for you help, Lei-san,” Xellos said, “You should have this back.” He then handed the necklace over to Lei. “I’m not really that good of a warrior.”
“Nonsense! You were able to best me in a fair fight. You keep it.”
“Thank you.”
“Lei!!!” a badly wounded Xelas burst into the tent. “She’s in the fortress! The Black Songstress is after the dragon!”
“What?! How did that witch get past our guards?!” he said.
“Pardon me, but what’s a Black Songstress?” Amelia asked.
“An evil witch whose singing poisons people,” Lei said hatefully, “She’s the reason for the plague I mentioned.”
“Oh,” Amelia replied.
Just then an evil sounding voice came to their ears. It was a dark and foreboding song, yet somehow familiar to Xellos. Suddenly, Amelia, Firia, and Xelas fell to the ground, screaming in pain before passing out.
“Firia!” Valgarv shouted.
“Amelia!” echoed Zelgadis.
“Damn that witch she’s here!” Lei dashed from the tent and towards the voice.
“What’s going on?! What happened to the girls?!” Valgarv asked, clenching his fists. “C’mon Fi-chan! Wake up!”
“We’ve got to get into that fortress!” Xellos said, angry.
“You need permission from our elder,” a blond plainsman said who had seen Xelas rush in and came to see what was going on.
“Right! Let’s go minna!” Xellos said rushing out of the tent.
“The others and I will look after your friends,” the plainsman said, noticing Zelgadis and Valgarv’s concern for the girls.
Nodding their thanks, the other boys then followed their leader and headed for the elder’s tent.
___________________________________________


Sakura: Phew! Finally got another chapter up!

Zel: About time. The sooner you finish this, the happier I’ll be.

Sakura: Watch it Stone Boy or I’ll never end it! MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Lina: Yare, yare. Please review this insane crap.