Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Keeper of Souls ❯ The Beginning ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Slayers, got it?

A/N: Blah, blah, blah, blah…

Keeper of Souls

I am known as the Keeper of Souls. People often refer to me as the Soul Collector, Black-winged Angel, and even Mistress of Lost Souls. I am, in most ways, all these things. I manage the souls I collect or find, and I have wings of black and grey. I have magical powers that surpass the normal mind and I have lived many centuries and seen much. My name is Catsuya NûluêthRyu, although many just call me by my first name, or an abbreviated version Cat, which is how I move when I am in the process of collecting souls.

I am also a clanswoman. I am of the tri-clan, which consists of the Dragon, the Phoenix and the Fairy. I don't know what other clan bloods live within me, but in a way I suspect I have them all. I oversee all clans under my domain.

I am engaged to be married to one named Xellos. He knows it, resents it, but accepts it. The match was made long ago. He has no soul to speak of, and I find myself drawn to him, almost like I am in love. If he has even the slightest bit of a soul, even as he is a Mazoku, I could never claim it. He is one who is precious to me. He is one who has lived as long as I have, plus two years. Xellos is a unique one, its true he is.

I have a soul; at least I believe that to be so, for I have felt it within me, as I feel many a soul when people are nearby.

This is my story; this is what I'm telling to you. You may believe it or not, accept it or not, but it is the truth. My story is not one of joy, at least not very much, but one of trials and acceptance and suffering.

This is my story. Why do I tell it? Because I want to. I wish to share this with you, so that you can understand how I feel, why I am the way I am. Why I do the things I do… Please, listen to my story, don't judge, just listen. Just listen…

And here it begins…

Part 1: The Beginning

"Xellos, why are you attempting to hit me?" I asked, "You know you can't!"

"I will," he said, "I will sometime and you know that!" He was only two years older than I was…at the moment we were play fighting.

"No you won't! Na na!" I replied teasingly, "No you won't!"

"What was that?" Xellos asked and made a move with his staff to try and hit me again.

"I said you won't be able to hit me!" I cried and laughed.

"Why did I ever get stuck with you?" Xellos asked.

"You were never stuck with me!" I said, "You agreed to this arrangement. I didn't arrange it…"

"Whoever arranged it will suffer greatly!" Xellos said and I moved in front of him and kissed him on the cheek playfully.

"I'm not enforcing it or anything…we have time…" I said.

"Stop teasing me!" he said, "You just knock it off!"

"You know what? Grow up…grow up just a little and I'll marry you then!" I said.

"Why do you want me to grow up? I am grown up! I'm old enough!" he said.

"Go on adventures for a couple hundred years Xellos!" I laughed, "You'll grow up soon enough!"

"Why should I go adventure? So I can find myself or something?" he asked me.

"That…my dear Xellos is a Se-cr-et!" I giggled and then kissed his cheek again and disappeared into the shadows.

TBC

A/N: Background enough? Well, let me know what you think, just don't flame! Flames roast marshmallows to make S'mores for those that like my story!