Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Labyrinth ❯ Stone Boy ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Labyrinth
A Slayers/Labyrinth Crossover
By Sakura
Chapter Three
Stone Boy
        After what seemed like hours, Lina had finally reached the labyrinth at the bottom of the hill. The girl searched the enormous wall before her for signs of a door somewhere, while she took a breather. The hill had been pretty steep on the way down and her boots weren't really made for a whole lot of walking. Seeing no doors anywhere, she let out an exasperated sigh and said, "Great. Just great! Now how am I supposed to get in?!"
        Walking along the wall, she saw that it was lined with all kinds of flowering bushes and plants. Tiny faeries and insects flew among the fragrant flowers. Smiling, she was tempted to pick a perfect red rose when a figure up ahead caught her eye.
        Certain she was sure that he wasn't there before, she took a good, long look at him. He was dressed in beige trousers and a beige shirt with a hood, though the hood was down at the moment. Polished black leather shoes covered his feet. But what really caught her attention was the figure's lavender hair that shone like metal when the sun hit it and that he had blue skin. Scattered over the skin were several protrusions that she were sure were rocks.
        The figure took out a spray can and sprayed at one of the plants. Something flew out of a flower and staggered to the ground, which he promptly stomped on. As he did that, he nonchalantly brushed a stray lock on hair back over one pointed ear.
        Thinking that this person might know a way into the labyrinth, she strode up to him. As she approached him, she could hear he was humming lightly to himself. (He's humming 'More Than Words' BTW ^_^) "Hey you!" she said thoroughly startling the chimera.
        "Um... sorry. I was just leaving," said in a slightly nasal voice. He hadn't even bothered to look to see who it was.
        "Excuse me," Lina said again. This time causing the chimera to turn around. He was a few inches taller than her she noticed at that made her uneasy since she'd have to look up at him to talk to him.
        "Well, well, well," he said regarding the petite red haired girl before him.
        "I, um, have to get into the labyrinth. Do you know how I can get in?" she asked.
        He was about to say something, but he quickly went up to a rosebush and took out the spray can again. A faerie was hovering over the flowers. He sprayed it with a couple bursts and the faerie began to fall. Lina quickly caught it.
        "How could you?!" she yelled. She gingerly held the tiny creature in the palm of her hand. "Kawaiso na." The chimera just ignored her and put the can away again. Lina was about to give him a piece of her mind when she felt a sharp pain on her finger and let out a yelp. "ITAIIIIIIIII!!! It bit me!" she whined.
        "Of course it did. What would you expect faeries to do?" the chimera asked and quickly sprayed yet another of the creatures.
        "I thought faeries granted wishes when you helped them," she said.
        "Hmph. Goes to show how smart you are. Here." He handed her a few purplish leaves and she looked him puzzled. "Rub those on the bite," he explained.
        Lina nodded at him gratefully and did just that. However instead of making the pain go away, it made it hurt ten fold. "What's the big idea! Now it hurts more! Much more!" she shrieked.
        "Of course it would. Everyone knows you don't use those for faery bites," said the chimera, smirking. "Not too bright are you, kid?"
        Lina's eyes teared. "B-but I though you were giving them to make it better. How could you do that to a kawaii girl like me?"
        He looked at her and laughed. "Kawaii?! Heh! That's a good one! Are you sure you're a girl? I mean where's you're chest? I sure don't see one."
        She was furious now and despite the enormous pain in her finger, she began to chant. "Fireball!!" To her surprise the ball of flame hit its mark, but all it did was singe the chimera's shirt off. (Whoo-hoo!! This is for all you Zel fans out there! ^_-) "You're despicable!" she spat.
        "No I'm not. My name is Zelgadis. You're the one who's not being nice here. Who are you anyway?"
        "Lina Inverse," she said proudly, though she doubted her name would do her much good in this weirded out place.
        "Thought as much," he said and went back to spraying faeries.
        The girl sulked, sucking on her still aching finger. "Ouchie!" Who was this guy? Was he put here by Xellos to prevent her from even entering the labyrinth. He seemed to know about, at least what she looked like. But, he certainly didn't look like a spy. He was more like a crabby old stick in the mud than someone the Mazoku King would use as a spy. She bravely walked up to him and said, "Look you..."
        He sighed. "Are you still here? Fine, here." He handed her some different leaves, a somewhat apologetic look on his face. She cautiously tried them on the bite, and found that he pain had almost faded to nothing.
        She smiled at him, thanking him. He nervously smiled back not knowing what to do since no one really smiled at him before. Suddenly self-conscious, the chimera blushed, turning his skin a faint purple color.
        "Look, I'm sorry 'bout what I said before," Lina said. She hoped he did know the way in and would be willing to tell her. "I really have to get in there and I was wondering if you knew a way in."
        "Maybe," he said, returning to his work.
        "So where is it?"
        "Where's what?" He didn't even bother to look up.
        "The door!" she yelled, "Are you stupid or something?!"
        "What door?"
        "The door into that damned labyrinth, you great big idiot!" He was really wearing on her patience.
        "The door into the labyrinth," he repeated, laughing again. "Now why would you want to know that?"
        Lina huffed, deciding he was a waste of energy and magic. "It's none of your freaking business. Why did I even bother asking a jerk like you?! It's no good asking you anything."
        "Not if you ask the right questions," he said. Was it her or was this 'Zelgadis' beginning to sound like Xellos? "You sure are no adventurer, greenhorn."
        "Well what are the 'right' questions?" she asked.
        "Depends on what you want to know." Yep, he was definitely sounding like the royal pain in the butt.
        "Oh I know what I want all right. Now, how do I get into the labyrinth?!"
        Zelgadis put away his spray can and said, "Now that's more like it. You can get in there. Now leave me alone," he said pointing to the wall behind him. Lina's jaw dropped. As if by magic, a humungous gate appeared as soon as she looked. "You've got to ask the right questions if you want to get anywhere around here."
        Lina gingerly pushed on the gate and it opened, protesting loudly as it swung on its rusty hinges. Taking a deep breath, she took her very first step into the unknown. 'Amelia,' she thought trying to muster as much courage as she could.
        Looking around, she saw another huge wall, just like the first, in front of her. The two walls made a narrow hallway and their sheer size made her terribly uneasy. Piles of bones and twigs and branches littered the ground at various spots. Lichen and moss lined the walls, indicating that this part of the labyrinth most definitely hadn't been kept up in years, though the walls seemed to be very strong. Looking to her left and right, the hallway seemed to go on forever in both directions with no visible signs of turns.
        "Nice place isn't it?" Zelgadis said startling her. She shivered, but not from cold. He had turned unusually somber and for some reason it began to unnerve her. "You're really going in there, aren't you?" he asked, genuinely concerned.
        "I have to," she said remembering her sister again.
        In a tone that implied 'It's your funeral', the chimera said, "Now which way would you go? Left or right?"
        She looked around carefully and said, "Well, they look the same to me."
        "You won't go far with that attitude."
        "Yeah?! Why don't you pick then since you seem to know so much," she said beginning to lose her temper again.
        "Me?" He humphed. "I wouldn't go either way." He was dead certain she wouldn't pick up on the subtle clue he'd just given her.
        "Some guide you are!"
        "Who said I was a guide?! I'm just the gardener," He replied. "You know what your problem is? You take too much for granted."
        Lina's temper flared, but she was trying to think of which way to go so she ignored the chimera. Since there seemed to be no logic to this place, there was no real logical way to go. Closing her eyes she began to point in each direction as she said, "Eenie, meenie, minie, mo."
        "Really scientific method," he said dripping with sarcasm. "Take this labyrinth for instance, nothing's ever what it seems so you can't take anything for granted. Anyway even if you do reach the castle, you'll never get out again."
        "That's your opinion," she snapped before going back to her deciding.
        "Well it's a whole lot better than yours," he said stomping off on his merry way.
        "Thanks for nothing, Stone Boy!"
        "It's ZELGADIS!!" he yelled back before shutting the gate.
        Lina shook her head and sighed. Her last 'eenie, meenie' had landed on the right so she decided to go in that direction. As she began to walk she muttered under breath. "The sooner I get outta here, the better. Stupid Stone Boy." She suddenly blushed as she realized that he had been topless the whole time she was arguing with him. "Shame he was a cutie though. His chest wasn't that bad either."
 
Xel: I though you said this part was going to be longer.
Sakura: Well it is. A little.
Zel: I'll say.
Sakura: Bugger off, Stone Boy! Anyhoo I'll really, reaaaaaaalllllllly try to make the next chapter longer. Also yet another cast member appears.
Xel: Oh, who are we going to torture this time, Sakura-chan?
Sakura: Sore wa himitsu desu. ^_^ Sorry couldn't resist saying that. It's my fave line, too. ^_- This time Firia shows up.
Firia: Sakura-san!!! How could you do this to me?!! I refuse to play a worm!
Xel: Why not Firi-chan, isn't that what you are?
Firia: Namagomi!!!! How dare you call one of us dragons a worm!!
Sakura: Give me that mace, Firia! Xel, quit feeding off of Firia!! If you're hungry then go bother someone else, but not Firia you know I hate it when she beans you with that thing.
Xel: That's why I do it, Sakura-chan. Oooh that was a good! Can I have another? Please??
Sakura: Fruitcake. Oh well, 'til next time kiddies. Same bat time, same bat channel.
 
C&C always welcome at Firia@linainverse.net. Come on minna! You guys haven't been writing much. So pleeeeeeaaaaaaase tell me what you think! I'd looooooove to hear from you. ^_^