Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ The Slayers: Mirror ❯ Chapter 26

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Slayers: Mirror
Chapter 26

“So,” Lina Inverse said as they walked warily towards the castle, “what do we do now?” The redhead looked serious, her wizard’s garb partially hidden beneath her winter’s cloak as her companions drew near. Around them the snow fell gently, the breeze kicking up snowflakes from the few trees.

Zelgadiss smiled back as the green skinned young man offered wryly, “We could always knock on the door?”

“Knowing Lina,” Amelia looked amused as the white garbed woman drew her cloak closer around her, “she’d knock with a fireball.”

“Well, it’s tempting,” Lina admitted. She looked over at her lover and asked with a smile, “What do you think, Naga?”

Naga pushed her black hair out of the way as she warily studied the castle walls. “We should offer to parley first,” she pointed out.

“They’ll attack us if we do,” Zelgadiss said sourly.

“Still,” Amelia said, “it’s the right thing to do.”

“You two are going to be the death of me,” Lina complained in a soft, affectionate mutter as she gestured for the other three to stop. Cupping her hands around her mouth she yelled, “Hey, you up in the castle! We want to parley!”

“That was polite,” Zelgadiss rolled his eyes.

“Oh shut up,” Lina growled back as they waited for a response.

After a long pause a voice called from within the castle, “You’ll guarantee the safety of whomever negotiates?”

Lina called back promptly, “Yes, I will.”

With a loud clank the drawbridge began to descend, slowly revealing a woman standing waiting patiently in the opening. Her long brown hair flowed over her shoulders, her body clad in simple armor over wool.

“I doubt that’s Hectate,” Naga murmured.

“My name is Jira,” she said boldly, “leader of the knights that defend this place.”

“Think she really has knights?” Amelia whispered to her lover quietly.

Zelgadiss shook his head, “Soldiers at best, and probably quite a few less after our war up at the barricade.”

Ignoring that conversation Jira continued, “Why have you come here, sorcereress?”

Calmly Lina met her gaze, “I understand your mistress, Hectate, is holding Naga the White Serpent. I want her released, unharmed.”

Jira held her ground as she asked coolly, “And if we don’t?”

“I’ll tear this castle down around your ears,” Lina answered perfectly seriously.

Jira felt a faint chill run down her spine as she realized Lina was dead serious. “I’ll bring your words to my mistress,” she answered, turning and marching to the castle.

“I can block them from fully closing the drawbridge,” Zelgadiss offered to Lina softly.

Lina actually looked tempted a moment then shook her head. “No,” she said wryly, “let’s see what they answer first.”

“I expect it’ll be no,” Naga admitted, shifting her stance as she readied the longsword at her shoulder for a quick draw.

“But we can hope,” Amelia added with a sigh.

Within the castle the blonde haired sorceress Hectate calmly waved a hand over her scrying pool resting by her throne, banishing the image of the women standing outside her gates. Standing beside her was her servant Gwenyth, the pink haired woman shivering a bit from a mix of fear and excitement.

Jira entered the main hall, the servants quickly leaving the room as ordered. “M’lady,” she bowed formally.

“What did Inverse say?” Hectate asked, adding, “I could see you talking but I could not hear through the scrying pool.”

“She demands that we release Naga the White Serpent,” Jita said grimly.

Hectate nodded slightly, “As expected.”

“She seemed very angry,” Gwenyth added.

“Oh yes,” Jira agreed, “Inverse threatened to tear this castle down around our ears.”

“Wouldn’t that hurt Naga too?” Gwenyth asked, blinking in confusion.

“Possibly,” Hectate agreed, “But it could be Inverse is too angry to care.” She sighed, “Or she may feel that Naga can take care of herself.”

“True enough,” Jira conceded. She looked at her Mistress curiously, “What will we give as a answer?”

“What other answer can we give?” Hectate asked as she stood, her cloak flutterng around her. Looking at her two followers she said calmly, “We fight.” A few softly chanted words and sweeping gestures transformed her clothes from a long gown to a simple tunic and a short skirt, easy to move around in.

Gwenyth nodded as she bowed, “I’ll awaken the beasts of the menagery, ma’m. Hopefully the more hostile beasts will be able to slow them down.”

“I’ll mobilize the remaining guards as well,” Jira nodded as both women hurried out.

Hectate walked to the corner of the grand hall, ignoring all the decoration as she entered the chalk circle she had drawn there the day before. Channeling her power she strengthened the inner defenses, hiding it as well as she could so it would surprise Inverse and friends.

“Not bad,” the voice murmured just as Hectate was finishing casting her spell, “but it won’t stop her.”

Hectate turned as she saw Naga the while Serpent standing in the doorway, her long black hair flowing over her shoulders and down her back. She wore her usual leather bikini top and bottoms, her only concession to the elements being the wool cloak she wore over top.

“It just has to slow her down,” Hectate answered, turning away from the sight of Naga striding towards her, her breasts bouncing in their leather harness. The sight now brought on a shortness of breath that Hectate found both disturbing and strangely pleasurable.

Naga moved close to Hectate as she said firmly, “You don’t have to do this.”

“Yes, I do,” Hectate snapped back as she reluctantly met her eyes, “I will not let myself be destroyed by prophecy.”

“And if it’s a self fulfilling one?” Naga challenged her boldly.

Hectate paused then smiled wryly. “It would be ironic if my actions to prevent my destruction,” she sighed, “actually caused it.”

“Then....” Naga started only to be cut off.

“No,” Hectate shook her head, “I’ve gone too far to stop now.” She reached out to put a hand on Naga’s shoulder, “Stay inside the castle. I’ve charmed you to protect you if anything goes wrong.”

Just then the castle shook as if it had been struck by some giant hammer. Jira hurried inside moments later, frowning at Naga as she looked at Hectate, “Lina Inverse has destroyed the drawbridge and is attacking the main gates!”

“Then let’s go meet them,” Hectate said firmly, leading the way out the hall and deliberately not looking at Naga.

To be continued....