Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ 7 Does ❯ brainpower is a lovely thing ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tails was out and about again, buying stuff for the countless things that he builds... such a busy fox. Well, now that I've had my time to relax, I have to get back to work. he thought. I just hope this thing can be built for explaining a bit later.
Out of nowhere, Tails was snatched up and dragged into the alley kicking and mumbling. "Knock it off, I'm not going to hurt you... unless you further provoke me." Upon hearing the voice, the fox began to relax... not a good idea, even though he knew who it was.
"Vanilla, don't scare me like that." Tails said, then gave a sigh of relief.
"Sorry, but I have a few words to give to you."
"Okay."
 
Vanilla soon put the edge of a knife at his neck, his femoral vein to be exact. "Now you know you should hold still, as this 'cutless' is unremarkably sharp." she began to explain. "I'm just now finding out about the incident in that boat trip of yours, Tails."
"I can explain that..." Tails said.
"Quiet you. If I wasn't so kind and forgiving, I'd have already slashed you, but you have an important role to play. What role might that be? You are going to find out on the night of Cream's birthday party."
"Um, kinda wondering why you had to take this approach on me, ma-am."
"Don't get cocky. Why did that happen between you and Cream?"
"Hey, I didn't force her to do that, it was of her own free wi-"
"If you say another word before you're told, so help me you won't see tomorrow. Now look, you're going to stay the night over at my place during Cream's party."
"How come?"
"Knowing my daughter, she'll probably wanted to request this herself, but she's a bit too bashful to ask you. Bring a gift and a sleeping bag to the party.... I don't want to have to hunt you down, so be there by 14:25. Got it?"
"Yes'm."
"Now, ask your questions."
"What type of gift should I get her?"
"Something she's going to need. That's all I can say."
"Deal."
"By the way, if you value your 'pride and joy', guarantee yourself that you want have another incident like that boat one, or your femora will get accustomed to titanium steel 'cutlery' young pup. Now get out of here and tell no one of this discussion."
"Yeah, no problems here."
 
Tails took his leave and Vanilla soon left after his departure. Ah, there's no love like tuffluv. she thought.
The fox on the other hand, who was now on the tram back to his workshop, continued to think about what he had discussed. "What the hell was Vanilla's problem?" he asked himself. "She really should be happy that I've taken a liking to Cream. But then again, what is there to dislike about Cream?"
Maybe you should try thinking about what Vanilla wants with you reguarding crashing the night at Cream's party. Tails looked up to see his unjst-but-antihero self Gold sitting across from him.
"I wish I had a clue."
Well, it's definitely something important if Vanilla's willing to kill over it.
"Yeah, and that's not like her... let alone it being her style."
I'm going to make a housecall tomorrow, let's see what's going on around there.
"That's not necessary..."
Miles, don't get shitty. I highly disapprove of Vanilla's action that "Never existed" a few minutes ago.
"Gold, that's enough."
So true, so keep it in mind that I'm going to visit Vanilla. And you aren't going to stop me.
Tails gave a sigh. "Fine, you win. Just don't get too out of line, huh?"
I won't guarantee any promises.
 
The nxt morning, Vanilla went out for some early shopping. "My, such a nice price on the fruit." she said. After she bought her things, Vanilla left the store.
"It's always a good idea to beat the crowd when it comes to shopping, it's fun to be ever the opportunist, don't you agree?"
Vanilla turned around... and almost drop her bag. Is that.... oh god no. her mind was somewhat in panic.
"Don't be scared, Vanilla. It's not like you did anything wrong, right?" Gold questioned as he approached her.
"That's right." Vanilla answered.
"Good. Now look here, I would like to know what this is all about."
"I have no idea what you're talking about."
"I'm talking about the 'chat that didn't happen' yesterday."
"So Tails told you, I swear that boy can-"
"Wrong. I found out on my own."
"So what the fuck do you want?"
"Huh, figures. That's what's wrong with parents today: They want their kids to be pampered and mild-mannered, but the parents don't practice what they preach."
"Save the theatrics and get to the point."
"Why are you making him crash the night at the party?"
"Well... Cream wants him to do that, she's just too shy to ask him. So like a good mother, I decided to persuade him for her."
"Did you have to use a 'cutless' to guarantee his stay?"
"Okay, I know that was out of line, but if he feels for her like I know he does, Tails will overlook that incident and show up anyway. You know Tails and Cream have much in common..."
"Lots... but lemme remind you, I don't take kindly to unjust action, I am the executor of unjust action."
"So what will you do with me?"
"I'm going to have your body."
"Excuse me? That's a terrible joke."
"Sorry, I'm not good at-"
"Tails, I'm so glad I caught you here with my mom." In ran Cream-sempai.
 
"Tails? I guess Cream doesn't know about the Golden Fox... or she does know and doesn't believe it. Anyway, I'll get back to you. Good day."
Great, what is Cream doing here? asked Tails.
I will handle this, Miles. Just relax and watch me work. Gol reassured Tails in subcon.
Cream-sempai stood next to Tails. "So, are you still tinkering with your toys again?" she asked.
"Cream, I don't tinker with toys, I make inventions." Gold answered as Tails' voice.
"Whatever Einstein, let's go to the workshop and finish working on this stuff. Once you're done, I can continue to spen my day with you."
"Fine let's go." The two started walking away. "By the way, since when did you start wearing glasses?"
"Er, I always had glasses, I just wore contacts instead. I just have the sitting in solution to get them cleaned." Cream-sempai made an excuse on the fly. I forgot, being the intellectually gifted one I wear spectacles. she thought.
"Eh, no matter. Shall we?"
"Yes, yes we shall."
 
I didn't know Cream wore contacts. Tails said.
She doesn't, this isn't Cream, Miles. Gold told him.
Yeah, and you aren't me, so touché.
Whatever, let's just keep walking.
"Um, Tails..." Cream-sempai trailed off.
"Yes?" Gold responded.
"Is it okay if I..... if I.... held your hand as we walk together?"
"WTF? Cream, NTP."
"Oh..." -sempai was a bit disappointed.
Gold, reassure her. Tails told Gold.
Hey, she ain't my girlfriend. Gold shot back.
Just do it.
Fine, if it'll get you off of my back. "What I meant was we can hold hands when I take you out today."
"Oh, you're so sweet."
"Hey, hey, hey, save it for when we get done and start to go out."
Gold, Cream isn't my girlfriend.
Not yet anyway.
What the hell does that mean?
You mean you weren't paying attention....
*
 
Once inside the workshop, Gold offered Cream-sempai a drink. She gladly took some AJ and sat on the couch. "If you'll exucse me for a moment..." Gold said and went into the room.
"Don't take too long." Cream-sempai teased.
"Hey, I'm not a vanity case like Amy."
As Gold closed the door, -sempai sat and had her drink. I never knew how his color could change like that. she thought. Maybe I'll ask about it when he comes out.
Tails walks out from the room. "Okay, lemme show you what I'm working on." he said and escorted Cream-sempai to the hangar.
"Tails, how did you get your color to change like that?" asked Cream-sempai.
"I have a distinct pigmenting, Cream. Depending on the light source, I can be a couple of colors: Yellow; yellow-orange; red; brown; golden; and orange. I think I get it from my dad."
"I never really met your dad."
"You never met any of our folks have you?"
"Not true. I met Uncle Chuck, King Max, I even met Antoine's dad."
"My parents...." Tails trailed off, "they're up in the heavens, I'll say it like that."
"Sorry I asked."
"No biggy. Anyway, here is what I'm working on."
 
Tails pulled off the sheet and Cream-sempai had a disdainful look on her face. "Do you ever get tired of building Particle Accelerators?" she asked.
"Actually, this is a Particle Decelerator." Tails corrected.
"Great... so what's the problem?"
"I don't really know." Tails walked over to the blackboard. "I have reworded the equation many times and it's still not working."
Cream-sempai joined him. "Hmm... well for starters, you have some miscalculations. 1) It should be five over pi, not three over pi; 2)....your sign and your cosign right here, should be switched around....." the smart doe continued to correct the errors that Tails made.
"Hmm, of course, it makes sense now." With the proper calculations, Tails fixed his invention accordingly, gave it a shot, and it was working. The fox was proud of his work. "Yes. Thanks a lot, Cream. You're a real life saver, you know that." Tails happily expressed his gratitude by giving her a big hug.
"Yes, he's hugging me.... Well, I was just returning the favor in the boating thing we had earlier this week." Cream-sempai said.
Tails removed his arms from the doe. "Yeeeah, that's pretty much what your mom was talking about with me when you caught us."
"Oh."
"Well, no harm, no foul, right?"
"Not at all."
"Cool."
"So, are we ready to go?"
"Actually no, I have something else to do."
Cream-sempai fell over. "You gotta be kidding me."
"Ah c'mon, it's not that bad."
"Hey Tails, what's under this?"
"No wait, don't remove that..."
 
Too late, Cream uncovered the object, revealing a car. Cream-sempai was stunned to see it. "Wow, this looks so cool." she said with wide eyes.
"Well, so much for having it hidden." said Tails.
"Why, did I do something wrong?"
"Not really, I was gonna wait until later but.... Aw what the hell. Happy birthday, Cream."
"You mean, this is mine?"
"Yup, I made it myself."
Cream-sempai screamed in excitement, making the fox's ears ring. "A car, a car. You're giving me a car for my birthday. I promise I'll act surprised when you dropped this off."
"I can tell."
"Where's the coloring at though?"
"I was gonna do that later. I still have to buff it first."
"Ooh, I wanna work on my car. You even have a spot for Cheese here too."
"Well obviously."
"Is it ready for a test drive?"
"Nope, not yet. But it will be."
"Fine, fine, I wanna work on my baby now."
"Sure, why not?"
 
So Tails and Cream-sempai worked on the car. Sure it looked like crap, but that didn't stop out two from a little more bonding. They polished, buffed, literally fixed that car to a floor room shine and show. Cream even painted it and tagged her own ride. Afterwards, the two looked at their handywork. "I bet this car is gonna be something." said Cream-sempai.
"Of course it will, I'm the one who built it." said Tails.
"I love it."
"Good, but you have to act like you didn't see it until I give it to you at the party."
"Oh, that won't be hard to do. Now let's go inside and have a little fun."
*
After three hours, Tails walked Cream-sempai to the train station. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather me walk you home?" asked Tails.
"No, the tram is quite all right." said Cream-sempai.
"Final boarding call for Station Square." was announced on the intercom.
"You better get going." said Tails.
"Yeah, see ya." said Cream-sempai as she entered the train. Tails watched the train leave, then he flew back to his workshop.
*
About two hours later, there's a knocking at Tails' door. When he opened it up, there was Vanilla standing at the door. "What brings you here today?" asked Tails.
"I want to have a word with you, and I'm not taking no for an answer." Vanilla said a bit bluntly.
Tails let her in. "You don't have to be rude."
"In this case, I do. You need to have a long chat with 'Mr. Golden Graces' about his attitude. He needs some self control, big time!"
"How do you give self control to someone who has no emotions?"
"What the hell are you talking about?"
"Gold is what you call an antihero. He doesn't listen to order, he doesn't give a damn, he doesn't have much sympathy... if any at all to-"
"Well he seems to listen to you."
"I told him NOT to have a word with you, but he insisted on it."
"Well if you won't find a way to deal with him, then I will deal with him and turn him around."
"Tch, good luck with that."
"Excuse me?"
"You can't make Gold a 'model citizen', Vanilla. It's impossible: I've tried; Sally tried; Bunny tried; Sonic tried; even Uncle Chuck tried. Everyone you can think of has tried... and failed. Take it from Sally, and I quote this one, 'A fox like that is too unstable to become a normal person.' So if you wanna try and fail, don't say I didn't warn you."
"You didn't say that you tried either."
 
Using a bit of Chaos Powers, Tails Projects Gold into the room. This is only the second time Tails has done this ever and it worked somewhat to perfection. "Well well well, hello Ms. Sunshine." Gold said.
Vanilla turned around. "I'm going to set you straight if it's the last thing I do." she said.
Gold simply laughed in her face. "Woman, please. I don't listen to King Max, so what makes you think I'll listen to you?"
"Woman's intuition..."
"That's the same bullshit story Sally said and she still didn't get it to work."
"You really need some manners."
"To hell with your manners."
"To heaven with your rude-ass demeanor."
"Now I know the guest isn't talking to the host like he's beneath her. Surely you know where you are...."
"Well, this a bit of politeness in you after all."
"Bitch, please. If it wasn't for the promise I made to Miles on not laying a hand on you, I'd be kicking your sorry ass all over this workshop."
"GOLD!!!!" Tails yelled at Gold.
"Yeah, yeah, don't gimme that 'Don't downtalk our guests here.' bullshit, 'cause even you know I made a good point."
"That's not an excuse this time, Gold."
"Well lemme make another excuse then. Say I hold Vanilla with a knife to her throat like she did to you, then I'd be the one in the wrong."
"Enough, Gold!"
"Fine, I'm out of here. You're the one that has to take her crap, not me."
 
And with that, Gold warped away, or so it appeared to Vanilla. "I think I will take my leave as well," Vanilla said, "and I see why Gold can't be tamed. Hopefully he will change for the better in time."
"Yeah, sorry about that." Tails apologized to Vanilla. "Well I'll see you later this week."