Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Cain and Abel ❯ Tragedy, Thy Name Is Cain ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Abel grinned as he squeezed the trigger.
 
Cain pushed Rouge aside and braced himself as a shot rang out.
 
The bullet punched through Cain's torso and blood sprayed from the exit wound in his back.
 
Abel fired one shot after another, exhausting his remaining six rounds.
 
Cain fell to his knees and clasped his chest.
 
Rouge, who could now walk without Cain's assistance, rushed to his side and tried to help him up.
 
He began to cough violently and spat blood in copious amounts.
 
With what remaining strength he had left, and Rouge's help, he regained his standing position, and reached into his jacket, which was now drenched in blood.
 
He pulled out his Smith and Wesson revolver with an air of triumph, and Abel's face turned as Cain raised the weapon.
 
Cain grinned evilly, blood staining his teeth.
 
“I win Abel, I win.”
 
With that he squeezed the trigger.
 
The crack of the gun echoed through the night air, reverberating off the other buildings and the concrete of the street below, signifying the end.
 
Cain released his grip on the revolver, allowing it to fall to the floor, as Abel toppled forwards, a deep red blot in between his eyes, marking his death.
 
Cain, now smiling, began to stagger backwards towards the roofs edge.
 
Rouge grabbed onto him in an effort to stop him falling, but he kept going, his limp, deadlike weight too much for her.
 
He went over the edge but still she held onto him.
 
They fell through the night and as they fell, Cain held Rouge in as tight an embrace as he could muster. He watched Rouge as tears streamed down her face, he put on a weak smile as she spoke.
 
“Are we going to die?”
He released his embrace a little and in a dying whisper, he spoke into her ear.
 
“You'll be fine.” Tears began to flow freely from her eyes.
 
“What about you?” Cain smiled and with his final effort, rolled in the air, so his back was to the ground and she was on top of him.
 
Rouge tried to speak again but the pair slammed into the roof of a parked car, the metal crumpling around them.
 
Rouge looked around painfully, wondering how she could've possibly survived the fall.
 
She snapped back to reality and began searching Cain for a sign of life; however his mangled body showed none.
 
He had positioned himself so that his body would act as a shock absorber for the fall, so that Rouge would not be killed.
 
Her tears now flowed thicker as she wept for Cain.
 
She began to clamber painfully from the wreckage, her body suffering from a degree of mild injuries sustained from the fall.
 
She turned to face Cain once more, looking at his peaceful but battered body, a small smile barely visible on his face, and then she turned and began to walk into the night.
 
At some point the police would turn up and they would find a dark green hedgehog, dressed in a blood drenched suit and a dark green velvet tie, embedded in the roof of a car.
 
They would find that he had suffered severe trauma to the head as well as a deep gash on his face.
 
They would find he had taken a 9mm bullet to the shoulder, wherein it still resided, as well as 7 other gunshot wounds from a significantly higher calibre weapon.
 
They would find that his wrists were badly cut as though by wire or rope.
 
They would also find trace amounts of heroin in his blood.
 
Despite all this, they would be unable to determine which had been the cause of death.
 
They would not be able to identify him, as his records didn't exist.
 
His death would be a mystery.
 
No-one would know who this hedgehog was or what had happened to him.
 
No-one except a single, white bat, trudging her way through the warm evening, her tears shimmering gently in the moonlight, a dark red glaze adorning her clothes, a silent reminder of the nights events.
 
 
 
And her lost love.